IGNORED

2 Canadians killed on a trike in Largo

Bert2006

Looks like they hit the median seperating the highway from the frontage road.

On Tuesday morning there was another sad incident in Florida - A couple that were also Canadians lost their lives in Seminole county, Florida in a motorcycle accident. A spool of wire fell off a truck and hit them. They were pronounced dead at the scene.

http://www.wesh.com/news/traffic/2-die-in-seminole-county-motorcycle-accident/24539312#mid=18423390

Edited by StarFan

This happened yesterday afternoon to a Canadian couple in Largo Florida. Sad.

I am trying to understand how one looses control of a trike while entering the highway. I have never rode one myself so any thoughts as to how this could have happened?

This is a hard thing to say but it is a fact, I've rode all my life and lived in Fla. for 27yrs. I will also say if the good LORD allows me to live I will be 61 in April. It is a terrible sad thing killing someone for no reason and that is what happens in ares with a lot of older people resided. 99% will tell you, I DID NOT SEE THEM!!!!! And I know that they do not see things and register information as fast as younger people. It is a two sided coin, I could not imagine having to live with killing someone that I had no intention to. There is no winners in this game, just losers in different ways. And let me tell you how many times they would say I did not see you. I ride trying to think what the other person is thinking, are they going to pull out or do they see me. We have the same problem here in SC mountains with people on bicycles the next thing you know it coming around a blind curve is 10 people on bicycles and hit one and you better have some darn good insurance!!!!! So the bottom line is ride with wide eyes and listen to your surroundings, GOD bless Jim

The Report about the couple killed with the spool of wire said the maximum penalty for an unsafe load causing death or serious injury is 60 Days!!!!

unbelievable!!!

Yes, but the guilt and shame the driver will carry the rest of his life and the civil litigation that he will endure is something I wouldn't want.

:farmer:

Looks like they hit the median seperating the highway from the frontage road.

On Tuesday morning there was another sad incident in Florida - A couple that were also Canadians lost their lives in Seminole county, Florida in a motorcycle accident. A spool of wire fell off a truck and hit them. They were pronounced dead at the scene.

http://www.wesh.com/news/traffic/2-die-in-seminole-county-motorcycle-accident/24539312#mid=18423390

I quitted riding while I was living in Argentina for this main reason

seen many trucks with loads not tight properly and stuff flying all over one even broke my car windshield good thing wasn't my neck riding a bike lol

A pick up truck with metal junk in the back of the truck, with no doors was in front of me as we both entered hwy ( 401). I was on my motorbike. I decided to change lanes and pass him, and just as i changed lanes ( still behind the truck, the truck hit a bump and an old bbq fell off....:yikes:

Lucky for me i had just changed lanes, or else i would have been bbq meat.:o

Saw him pull over to pick it up his scrap metal, in my mirrors.

Somebody was looking after me, that day, i guess.:2143:

:beer:

For kicks and giggles, Tippy and I test rode a new Harley Trike last year.. One of the things that I noticed was how quickly it steered, especially at speeds over 50 mph. I can see where it would not be that difficult to over steer one after hitting a big pot hole or curb.. Totally a different "feeling" than a bike that requires totally different rider input too..

Both very tragic and sad accidents!! My heart goes out to all involved!!

Puc

• 3 months later...

The next to the last biker funeral I went to was for an accident caused by an unsecured BBQ grill falling out of a pickup truck. The motorcycle operator didn't make it, his passenger survived with injuries. She attended the funeral in a wheelchair.

Americade was alittle rough on riders this week, as of wed. 10 accidents in county, 4 in town. Couple killed Thursday when they strayed over center line, couple following went down too. Came up on one on back road, 35 max speed, rider down in road, his trike over guard rail over 100 ft. away.

Intersection in front of motel provided many examples of bad driving/riding on both sides, one accident. Young driver took left from slow lane, clipped bike sending him down, saw most of this one. Saw many bikes cutting between trolley and sidewalk making right to take a left, on a single lane road at that.

Never knew what I'd see next.

It could happen to me tomorrow but I won't ride behind a truck with scraps on the back, a truck with ladders attached or a tractor trailer rig. If I can't get around them I will back off until I would have enough time to stop before something fell off the truck and hit me.

Its gotten pretty bad on the unsecured loads around here also. These guys just go around picking up every piece of any kind of metal and toss it in the back of a pick up. Never ever do I see anything tied down or tarped so it wont fly out. Police dont even bother with it because there are to many I guess.

Its gotten pretty bad on the unsecured loads around here also. These guys just go around picking up every piece of any kind of metal and toss it in the back of a pick up. Never ever do I see anything tied down or tarped so it wont fly out. Police dont even bother with it because there are to many I guess.

This rant isn't just based on this incident but overall many of which are so careless and senseless...Just because there are "too many" to enforce or stop, or it's been like this for X years, does not mean things need to stay the same. We also read by candlelight at one point in history, do we do that now?

Laws that are lax, isn't an excuse to just not take time to do it right. On top of that, if Florida, who claims to be broke all the time would institute heavy fines, and maybe jail time or rescinding of DL, maybe people may make an extra ounce of effort.

Everywhere I go here it seems people have " oh well..." Type of attitude. Astonishing.

For kicks and giggles, Tippy and I test rode a new Harley Trike last year.. One of the things that I noticed was how quickly it steered, especially at speeds over 50 mph. I can see where it would not be that difficult to over steer one after hitting a big pot hole or curb.. Totally a different "feeling" than a bike that requires totally different rider input too..

Both very tragic and sad accidents!! My heart goes out to all involved!!

Puc

I tried one of them last year at their demo days .... hated it. Wayyyy to "sensitive" ... I felt I was all over the road ... kinda like in the old days when the idler arm of my car was worn out (which seemed to happen on most of my old clunkers in those days) LOL

I know the area where the trike flipped. I also had an accident in that area back in 94. the issue in the evening all along US19 with the construction(been going on since 91 when I moved here and still not done) is areas of intense bright light (street lights, car dealers, strip clubs etc) alternating with area of deep shadow and NO STREET LIGHTS AT ALL!! At 40-60 mph you can zip into a Black Zone of a couple hundred yards and back out in not time. Your eyes don't adapt quick enough after two or three in and outs. Also with the construction and repainted lanes and what not the "DIVIDER" may have been the same color or colors as the road surface there.

I am a bit space conscious, both in the car and on the bike. I detest tailgaters and I try to give the vehicle in front of me space. A couple of years ago coming up from Chattanooga on the interstate, a pickup was in front of us, all running about 70mph and all of a sudden a baby bed that was folded up and laying in the pickup decided to fly. I was able to miss it, but if I had been closer or on the bike, I may not have been able to. The guy in the pickup pulled over and I wish I had called the cops on him.

RandyA

While I haven't ridden a Harley trike to be able to compare the differences between it and my RSV/Hannigan trike, my trike doesn't handle nowhere near like what's been described by those who have ridden the Harleys. It's a very stable machine due to the wide rear axle, longer wheel base, and raked tree. The independent suspension also contributes to as smoother ride.

The only time

I've only experienced "head shake" at slow speeds going over rail old crossings at an angle.

I have ridden a Suzuki Volusia that was triked. No raked tree, solid axle, short narrow wheel base and couldn't wait to get off of it. That trike probably compares with a non raked Harley.

Bottom line is not all trikes are created equally.

As for those folks who lost their lives I grieve for them & their families as I would for any fellow bikers.

Larry

This happened yesterday afternoon to a Canadian couple in Largo Florida. Sad.

I am trying to understand how one looses control of a trike while entering the highway. I have never rode one myself so any thoughts as to how this could have happened?

I have a lot of miles on Rte. 19 in Florida over 22 years. There used to be a bumper sticker circulating that read "I drove Rt. 19 and survived"

A lot of 19 is like riding thru a metropolitan business section on a 4 lane and 6 lane highway, not a pleasant ride even in a car.