IGNORED

A Hearfelt Appeal - Please Read

Freebird

Folks, this has been weighing heavily for a few days now so I'm going to put it out here and hope that you all give it some thought.

It has been a long winter for many of us and I think that we all need a long soul cleansing ride to wash those winter doldrums away. It is perfectly understandable and happens to some extent every winter.

I'm talking about the tone of some of our responses to one another. There just seem to be way too many posts and responses lately that end up with one or more members going after each other much more aggressively than is necessary. Sometimes it is the result of a short, snippy and totally unnecessary response to a question or opinion and at other times it seems to be a problem with somebody being entirely too thin skinned and taking offense at something that was perhaps meant more in fun and not as a smart remark.

One thing that has always set this forum apart from so many others on the Internet is our patience and willingness to help each other. Even if it's a question that may have been discussed multiple times before, we have recognized the fact that some folks are newer and may not have seen the previous discussion. We also recognize that some folks here are much better with computers than others may be and we realize that searching for and finding existing information is difficult for some of those people. That is why we often discuss things over and over again or at least help them by posting a link to an existing discussion without a smart remark to accompany the response.

We have also been able to disagree about things without it turning into personal attacks against another members opinion. If don't don't like a certain product, whether it is a tool to sync carbs, a tire brand, whatever, it should be easy enough to state an opinion and explain why you feel the way you do without telling somebody else that they are stupid or don't know what they are talking about just because they happen to have had a different experience with that product than you have.

The strength of VentureRider.org is that we have a fantastic group of folks that generally bend over backwards to help each other. I've said many times, our bond here is the love of the Venture, Royal Star and other motorcycles. We are here to enjoy that which brings us together, not to dwell on things that might tear us apart.

None of us are perfect and we all have a bad day now and then. I have actually censored myself here by going back and deleting my own posts a few times because when I read it back later, I realized that it did not come across as I had intended or I had said something that I quickly realized was uncalled for.

The best advise I have to offer to all of you and to myself is to NOT post if you are upset or angry about something. Walk away and think about it for a while. After you type a post when you are a bit miffed about something, take a few minutes and read through it again a couple of times before you hit that submit button.

You are the greatest group of people that I have ever had the pleasure of being associated with. I am very proud of the family that we have built here and if we stay true to the the basic principals that this club was founded on, we will continue building those lifelong friendships that so many of us have found here.

Thanks for listening.

None of us are perfect and we all have a bad day now and then. I have actually censored myself here by going back and deleting my own posts a few times because when I read it back later, I realized that it did not come across as I had intended or I had said something that I quickly realized was uncalled for.

I'm part of that club. After you post it and then read it 15 minutes later your like, I actually said that? .. I always try to think of anything I post here as if I was talking to that person or group Face to Face. Seems to keep me centered somewhat. Been a while since I got punched in the face :starz:...Course I go around the bend every now and then and that's when the delete button works real good.

The best advise I have to offer to all of you and to myself is to NOT post if you are upset or angry about something. Walk away and think about it for a while.

Just thinking about a feature. Is it possible to save a post as a draft, that way if you think it may be slightly wrong, save it as a draft then reread it later, before hitting submit reply.

Not sure it would get used much but may help.

Brad

I try to watch what I post. You just cant get vocal tones across in a text format. I have not been on here a long time but have come to realize this is an awesome group.

Also I try to think about what I post before I post it, it can be deleted but some may still have read it before it gets deleted and then you gots trouble. BEST PLACE ON THE NET, period. Shaun

Im putting in my $.02 for what it is worth. When I come onto this site I was new, had tons of questions, was distracted, disturbed, felt like this new bike had beat me down. But every post I made as this new guy was answered directly, and honestly, and the help was outstanding.

HOWEVER................since then I have tried my best to jump in when new people ask questions, and more times then not I have seen new guys get hammered for asking something. I try NOT to abbreviate to new guys because the lingo is confusing. I do my best to answer everything I can while always keeping in mind that not so long ago I too was the new guy. Still am for that matter. If that means I can walk to my bike, look at something, snap a photo, or pull up something on my online repair manual or online owners manual the by george I am going to do it.

I try to NEVER forget folks often times seek an online discussion forum because they are troubled by something, having issues, or like in my case I had this new bike and had tons of questions. In my heart I believe that if everyone who replies to ANY question would stop and remember that once upon a time a "RSV", or a "RSTD" , or "RK Pipes" didnt mean a thing to them either, then the new folks coming on board would definetly find more of a need to pay a subscription, just as I did, because they found a "home group" they can be comfortable in.

I promise you this. If I had been jumped like Ive seen some people get jumped on here as of late, Id have NEVER EVER paid to stay here. Now looking at my short time here I am so very glad I paid my little nominal fee for the wealth of knowledge and input I have had access to. This place is great and I hope to be here for a long time.

I really am glad to see this post, because just like the Bossman, it has bothered me.

(Quote- Freebird): I have actually censored myself here by going back and deleting my own posts a few times because when I read it back later, I realized that it did not come across as I had intended or I had said something that I quickly realized was uncalled for.

I'm part of that club. After you post it and then read it 15 minutes later your like, I actually said that? ..

I too am in this same club Buddyrich, for I have deleated several of my posts 10 to 15 minutes later..

Folks, If you dont know how to delete your post and you want it deleted, just send me a email..I will happily do it for you and or walk you through it.

Has my buddy Dallas been back on here somewhere. :rotf:

Dallas.........forgot all about that guy Eddie........

He had a different sence of humor for sure......:rotf:

Thanks for bringing this up. I've been here for a few years now and have seen some comments and responses lately that surprised me. I wrote it off as PMS and hoped it didn't turn into a trend.

We promote this club as a friendly site and if trial and new members are seeing these types of comments they can only assume that we are like a lot of other forums.

Thanks again Don.

Mike

I have been on here six months and I have not been treated any other way than nice and I have asked and said some pretty off the wall stuff. I hope I have not been offensive or rough on anyone, I guess I do have a tendency to poke a little more than I should maybe it's the old salt in me.

I do believe and have seen folks on this forum go well above and beyond to help other members, looking foward to my oppurtunity to help.

Thanks Don for the course correction we all stray off compass heading now and then.

Don,

You must have been reading my mind. My wife tells me she tries to read my mind but can't get a reading. But I almost posted about this myself. I have been insulted by a post when all I was doing was to try to discuss the topic. I came close to leaving the site. But anyway, thanks for your post, it was needed.

Thanks Don, I personally didn't read anything that bothered me,,,, but then I don't read every post. I realize that not everything will come across as maybe it was intended, and so have a bag of salt right handy when I read the posts,,,, but that doesn't do a thing for others I sure,,,, I have the salt and nobody lives close enough to get some.

If I am one of the offenders, it's not intended that way, so I too will keep closer watch.

And, YES, I am always impressed on how we as members will go over an item time and time again, almost as if it were never discussed before,,,,,, and that is awesome. GOOD going members, keep up the love.

I posted not too long ago that I really appreciate this site...especially compared to a couple of others that I visit. The responses to Don's original posting enforce that appreciation. This is a good group of people...as with any segment of society, there are usually a few that don't get it. It's not a "Kum Bah Yah" thing...it's just mutual respect. Please don't ruin a good thing!:thumbsup2:

I think the posts that got out of control was because some people were telling others what they needed to do. Nobody likes to be lectured or told what to do.

In fact, if anyone here is going to do that, it should be Freebird... and Hopefully thru a PM, as nobody likes to be dressed down in public.

If we keep our posts informative and just share our experiences, "tell them what you did, not, what they have to do", we could avoid the vast majority of diagressing posts.

besides, I've found it's pointless telling someone that you have no control of, what to do, as it's simply not going to happen.

If I'm a Republican and your a Democrat, we can have any discussion we want, as long as we go into it knowing that regardless the outcome of the discussion, we will never convert the other to our side.

Same goes in regards to religion: If I'm a Catholic your not gonna convince me to become Jewish, or vice versa.

We should also become a little more selective in our assessments of products here. It's one thing to say you perfer this type of equiptment because of these characteristics... and quite another to say something is junk. Better to let the facts speak for themselves.

I'm glad you said something Freebird. And... Yes I to have gone back and deleted things also...Hey, I'm only Human...

Edited by CaptainJoe