IGNORED

rode 4 hours to buy 07 and left it at the dealer

I rode 4 hours to trade my suzuki c50 for an 07 blue venture. When I got to the dealer, the first thing I did was take the venture out for a test ride. The first thing I notice about a half mile down the road is the chirpping sound that so many talk about here. Brought it back to the lot, told the sales person about it... then they try to tell me they all do that, and it is normal. Finally the mechanic let me take his personal 07 venture out to try it, and voila, nice smooth quiet venture. So I left the bike there and rode back home. No deal!! The bike has already had the i basket replacement and the rear diff shimmed or aligned under warranty, and is apparently still noisy. So I just don't want to buy a bike that is not smooth and quiet. Why is it so hard to find the right one?? Hasn't someone found a real cure for this noise problem with these bikes?

Im pretty frustrated at this point. I just want a nice trouble free blue venture with no issues.

I rode 4 hours to trade my suzuki c50 for an 07 blue venture. When I got to the dealer, the first thing I did was take the venture out for a test ride. The first thing I notice about a half mile down the road is the chirpping sound that so many talk about here. Brought it back to the lot, told the sales person about it... then they try to tell me they all do that, and it is normal. Finally the mechanic let me take his personal 07 venture out to try it, and voila, nice smooth quiet venture. So I left the bike there and rode back home. No deal!! The bike has already had the i basket replacement and the rear diff shimmed or aligned under warranty, and is apparently still noisy. So I just don't want to buy a bike that is not smooth and quiet. Why is it so hard to find the right one?? Hasn't someone found a real cure for this noise problem with these bikes?

Im pretty frustrated at this point. I just want a nice trouble free blue venture with no issues.

Shame.. I'm not sure if MINE is noisy (06) but it sounds the same as my buddies' 05 and 08 models..

Either I have a unique bike or I'm just oblivious. I do have loud pipes and wear ear protection, and I do notice a whine when I downshift but I've just never noticed anything that I found annoying. I guess next time I ride with everyone I'll have to see if I'm somehow different than the rest of the bikes.

Either I have a unique bike or I'm just oblivious. I do have loud pipes and wear ear protection, and I do notice a whine when I downshift but I've just never noticed anything that I found annoying. I guess next time I ride with everyone I'll have to see if I'm somehow different than the rest of the bikes.

There's one of the ride videos I posted where you can actually hear the whine they refer to.

I'll be doing some more recordings in a day or two with the Larosa pipes (loud) and you should still be able to hear the whine over the pipes.. ;)

I'd try to pick the mechanic's brain...maybe he knows the secret to total happiness.

There is no absolute cure for the chirp/whine. The " I " basket swap is not a guarantee. The reason some don't whine and others do is that the clutch basket gears match correctly with the primary gear but that is just a stroke of LUCK and that's about all you have to go on by swapping the clutch basket...IMHO.

The mechanic who changed mine said that back in the mid 90's when this problem first developed, they would have to take dial gauge readings of the lash of the gears and submit that to Yamaha and they would send out a basket that would provide the correct gear lash. Nowadays they don't have the time or can't be bothered (probably because there are so many of them) so they just send out an "I" basket and if it works, you're one of the LUCKY ones.

BTW, changing mine made no difference. I'm beginning to think that this so-called "I" basket is nothing more than a smoke screen to make a person think they're actually getting something "different".

Bobcat, you did the right thing by passing on this bike. The chirp will never go away altogether. I've had my 07 RSV for over two years since new. My I basket was changed also, along with a host of other things that have gone wrong the bike. Now it is annoying at a different speed range and getting worse. The transmission is also starting to get noisier. Trying to drown out one noise with another is not the way to go for me. I guess it depends on how bad you want an RSV. I am seriously disappointed with my bike. Had I known some of the issues about the bike I would have passed and looked at something else, that was my own fault . Good look on your search.

I also hear the 'Turbo' noise on my bike on 4th or 5th gear and on certain speeds and sometimes non at all at the same speed when it previously made that 'Turbo' noise. I am so used to it and it does not bother me a bit. Don't give up looking around for your dreambike, Bobcatpat.

its not a bad sound.....it wont fail you......its the sound of a very well built bike.....at first you notice it just be cause its differnt.....think of it as your hidden blower.... 2 people have asked me if i had a blower on mine ? I should have said yes just to see there face.......buy it enjoy it it will serve you well:bagpipes-emoticon:

Guest magiardino

I think each Venture is a little different sounding. I bought a used '04 with 3900 miles on it. Picked it up in Ohio and drove back to NY. Within the first 20 minutes I heard the dreaded chirp that so many discussed on this site, and immediately decided I couldn't live with this bike.

However, the chirp soon disappeared, and I forgot about it. That was 7000 miles ago, and I haven't heard it since. I guess I'm just lucky.

But I firmly believe you did the right thing by passing on that bike. Can you imagine spending 10 or 15 grand on a "new bike" and then getting burned by that horrible sound? Keep looking.. Ventures are great bikes and another will pop up soon.

Mark:thumbsup2:

You guys need to stop thinking of it as a whine but more like the sound of a turbo winding up......:smile5:

True that - Gearing has a part in this type of noise. The straight cut gear on the Venture tend to be louder. It's a sign of high end engineering and performance.

You did good to NOT buy that bike. I wish more folks would take our advice here and ensure a decent test ride on the specific machine they are considering, then NOT buy it if it is not up to their expectations. If you compromise and assume you will get used to something, you probably will never be happy with that machine.

There is a big reason why some fairly new Royal Stars show up for sale with low mileage, and that reason is usually the exact same reason why you won't want to own one of them! What I am trying to say is that these bikes are great machines, and most are kept for a long time and ridden a lot. When somebody dumps one quick, it often indicates a real problem. I wish you luck finding one being sold so soon WITHOUT any problems - it does happen.

Goose

You did good to NOT buy that bike. I wish more folks would take our advice here and ensure a decent test ride on the specific machine they are considering, then NOT buy it if it is not up to their expectations. If you compromise and assume you will get used to something, you probably will never be happy with that machine.

There is a big reason why some fairly new Royal Stars show up for sale with low mileage, and that reason is usually the exact same reason why you won't want to own one of them! What I am trying to say is that these bikes are great machines, and most are kept for a long time and ridden a lot. When somebody dumps one quick, it often indicates a real problem. I wish you luck finding one being sold so soon WITHOUT any problems - it does happen.

Goose

Amen!

Still happy with mine, even though I ran through a rash of problems, just about all of them resolved now. In the end, everything on the bike is just about swapped out under warranty lol.. Just waiting for the clutch kit and then the rear shock..

Fantastic bike.

I guess I'm lucky because I haven't heard anything irregular in my 06 RSTD.

I have a friend with an 05 and he couldn't stand the noise from new. Had the clutch basket thingy done and he say's it's bearable but still there.

My previous Valkyrie was very whiny with the square cut gears.

My 1800 Goldwing whistled like a turbo spooling up.

I actually got used to the noise on the Valkyrie and Goldwing but not having heard the noise on the Yamaha's, I'm just thankful I don't hear it.