IGNORED

rode 4 hours to buy 07 and left it at the dealer

I dont understand what your complaning about as i had a C50 and they all sound like a very loud SEWINGMACHINE so the small chirp or winning from the Venture is very miner in comparison i would rate the VR as being quiet compaired to the C50

I flat hated my C50 for all 3 months that i had it /// well i cant say that i did like the color silver of the 06

Dray

Mine has a whine, but not a chirp. Most of whine disappears when in OD. My VStar 1300 does not have it at all, but I think I'm getting used to the whine on the RSTD. I hope it doesn't get any worse. I didn't buy a GoldWing because it sounded like a sewing machine, but dealer did not let me test drive the RSTD (won't do that again). The VStar is a neat machine, but doesn't come close to the RSTD on the highway. Just some comments!

:fingers-crossed-emo

I personally find it very difficult to believe that some of you have Ventures and RSTDs that don't whine or chirp. They're all made at the same factory using the same tooling.

I've met a least 5 other couples on Ventures in the 2 years I've had mine and they all said they loved their bikes, but didn't like the noise. I was on a golf course earlier this summer when I actually heard a Venture coming down the road before I even saw the bike, the chirp was so loud. When it came within sight, I noticed it was a '07 Blue and Black. I got behind another '07 Blue/Black on the Parkway last month, and I could hear the chirp from 3 car-lengths behind him!

Those of you who keep saying you don't have the noise are extremely lucky if that's truly the case. I bet some of you, though, wear a helmet that makes the noise difficult to hear or you're hearing what we're hearing, but just not recognizing it. Or maybe your loud pipes are drowning out the noises.

I do not believe there is a "chirpless" or "whineless" Venture. I also don't believe there is a bike made by any manufacturer that doesn't make some kind of noise that owners feel shouldn't be there.

To the OP, if you want one, you're going to have to decide for yourself whether or not you can live with the noises. At first, I didn't think I could, but after two years, I've gotten used to the gear whine that never seems to go away. The chirp is improved by changing the clutch basket, which I did. The whine is what you're going to have to decide about, especially if you won't be interested in louder pipes. I guess I prefer the whine to the constant droning of pipes.

They're great bikes. There can be no doubt about that.

My 99 and the other 99 I test rode didn't have the issue. I'm glad mine didn't because I bought it sight unseen 800 miles from home.

Mine too!! I have the wine only when I lean. I have to grease the drive shaft bu no chirpping and a quiet ride.:322:

I have this '99 RSV and it doesn't have any of the noises that everyone is talking about. But I do have one different noise, and only at 65 MPH and it sounds like as when you shake a can of spray paint and hear the ball bouncing around inside. If it gets annoying, I just go a little faster or slower and it gone:337:. Now it that weird or what? Owen.

I think lot of it is individual perception. Someone that has never been on an RSV may get on my bike and think it's the noisiest bike there is where another rider that has ridden them may think it's pretty quiet. They are mechanical gear driven machines and there is going to be some noises. At the moment, mine sounds ok, probably as good as any. A few months ago mine started getting noisy and actually sounded like it had a siren attached by the time I shifted into high gear. After I shimmed the pumpkin and lubed everything with Moly60 it's back to normal. I think it was the cheap (Harley D) wheel bearing grease that wore off of the fingers after 4000 miles. Personally, any RS with a loud whine should start by doing a Moly60 lube on the fingers and driveshaft gears... and maybe the shim. I wish I had taken the time to do the shim by itself before the lube so I could tell whether it made any difference.

this is my 4th bike in my lifetime. last one 25 years ago was a Kawa Ninja. then a month or so ago, we purchased this o4. the owner would only let me test ride it between me handing him the cash for the bike & signing the paperwork at the notary. that way if i had an accident, it was my bike that was wrecked. that made enough sense to me so i was ok with that. when i test drove it, it did not make any unusual noise other than motor sounds that any other bike would make, so we then signed the paper work.

So far i have about 250 miles on it. I have been fortunate that is only makes motor sounds. there is no chirping or whining. what is on the inside besides oil, i wouldn't know. i turn the throttle & it goes. i do wear a full face with J&M headset installed.

dale in La.

I dont understand what your complaning about

For those who don't understand what "we're" complaining about I offer this suggestion....

Get yourself a large tuning fork, hold it close to your ear, and bang it with some other metal object ...... now, does that bother you? ...NO? then do it again, and again, and again...eventually it will .... Now you know what "we're" complaining about. The constant, high-pitched whine, over time, can be a real bothersome sound. Some can handle this while others can't.

Mine "can" be bothersome...especially if I am forced to have to run it at slower speeds in 3rd gear or even 4th gear a lot where the rpm is right "in that range" for an extended period of time...such as following slow moving traffic. Sometimes I will break that "drone" by shifting up or down but you can't always run it in a gear up or down...you need to be in the gear you're in and staying there puts you at that certain rpm where the whine is most bothersome.

So, yes, sometimes mine gets to me but for the most part I can run it outside of that "window" and it's good. for example, if I'm cruisin around 100km/h in 5th, the whine can, over time, get to me so I drop a gear for a while... but that higher rpm can also be annoying after a while too so, back up to 5th or, if the conditions allow it, I will speed up to 110 or 120... generally around 110 in 5th, the whine intensity is almost gone. It also depends on if you're going up a grade of any kind...even the slightest...will cause the whine to increase.

It would be so damned great not to have to do all this fiddling around...changing gears, increasing speed, wearing ear plugs, putting on louder pipes, cranking the volume .... just to "get away" from a blasted whine! One should NOT have to deal with all this just to ride such an otherwise awesome bike.

I personally find it very difficult to believe that some of you have Ventures and RSTDs that don't whine or chirp. They're all made at the same factory using the same tooling.

I've met a least 5 other couples on Ventures in the 2 years I've had mine and they all said they loved their bikes, but didn't like the noise. I was on a golf course earlier this summer when I actually heard a Venture coming down the road before I even saw the bike, the chirp was so loud. When it came within sight, I noticed it was a '07 Blue and Black. I got behind another '07 Blue/Black on the Parkway last month, and I could hear the chirp from 3 car-lengths behind him!

Those of you who keep saying you don't have the noise are extremely lucky if that's truly the case. I bet some of you, though, wear a helmet that makes the noise difficult to hear or you're hearing what we're hearing, but just not recognizing it. Or maybe your loud pipes are drowning out the noises.

I do not believe there is a "chirpless" or "whineless" Venture. I also don't believe there is a bike made by any manufacturer that doesn't make some kind of noise that owners feel shouldn't be there.

To the OP, if you want one, you're going to have to decide for yourself whether or not you can live with the noises. At first, I didn't think I could, but after two years, I've gotten used to the gear whine that never seems to go away. The chirp is improved by changing the clutch basket, which I did. The whine is what you're going to have to decide about, especially if you won't be interested in louder pipes. I guess I prefer the whine to the constant droning of pipes.

They're great bikes. There can be no doubt about that.

I have never had these whines/chirps on my 02. My friends with 05's. 06's and 08's do not have these noises. Sorry to bust your bubble. Not all Ventures have this noise.

:farmer:

I have never had these whines/chirps on my 02. My friends with 05's. 06's and 08's do not have these noises. Sorry to bust your bubble. Not all Ventures have this noise.

hmmmmm would any of youse guys like to make a trade??

:sign just kidding:

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 07 RS Venture that has the whine/chirp. Like others, it is most noticeable around 80 - 90 kms. I have contacted dealer and they have not offered up to change the clutch basket or anything else. I have contacted Yamaha Canada and they give me some crap about a worn out helmet!?? I have really been dissapointed with Yamaha Canada. They pass the buck to the dealer. Unfortunately, on some of the issues I have the dealer trys some fixes, then can't totally resolve the problem. They don't seem to get any support from Yamaha Canada and Yamaha Canada says go to the dealer with your problems. So I end up in this vicious circle where nothing gets fixed. The problems I am having are:

1) whine/chirp at some rpms. Getting louder now, with 40,000 kms on the bike. Dealer response??? nothing.

2) groaning sound from swingarm or rear shock when flexed (sitting and bouncing up and down) when the bike is cold in the morning or on cold days. Mostly an embarassment but the bike has not always done this. Dealer response? lubed swingarm bushings, shock mount pivots, still the same.

3) Accelerate Button on cruise does not always respond to single incremental push. Dealer response? replaced switch assembly, and I think entire cruise electronic box. Still the same.

4) handlebars, forks, seem to point to the right. Bike runs straight, but points to the right. I have initial suspicion that the rear wheel is not true vertical relative to the frame. Dealer response? Bike seems to run normally to everyone else.

I am interested to hear if any of you have similar problems (other than the gear whine/chirp..... that one I know many of you have).

Spaceman

Guest curtismiller

My chirp is very weak.I am old and hard of hearing and have loud pipes.But mostly I cant complain because my neighbors think its a Harley and they are perfect.People at the post office often say nice Harley and I just smile and say ,thanks its the best in the country.