IGNORED

Good Bye Michigan!

Squidley

Hey Ladies and Gents,

The title is a little misleading, but it sums up what's gonna happen. Today I got the axe from work, as well as about 20 others. Kinda surreal right now, but I'm not wasting any time. This is an opportunity to get out of the huge suck hole called Michigan and move somewhere else.

If I can impose on you members, and ask for your help in networking myself, this would put Lonna's mind at ease. I am a powerhouse mechanic and a certified arc welder. We are looking to head either to the Houston Texas area or the Knoxville/Chattanooga Tennessee area. If anyone knows or hears of work in these areas, please shoot me a PM.

As always in life, another hurtle and I believe that God is smacking me upside the head for a reason.....and I believe that reason is to get out of Michigan. All the best and hang on for this trip, it should be a good one to listen to

:thumbsup2:

Edited by Squidley

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Squid...I don't know about Houston, but here in San Antonio there is a LOT of construction going on for the military at Lackland AFB and Fort Sam Houston. Good luck in your search...if I can help in anyway, please let me know...I live just southwest of San Antonio.

Brad, I would love for you to find something in east Tennessee for you and Lonna. You would love it down here and your personality would fit right in. I will do some searches and let you know if I find anything.

I wish you all the best of luck in dealing with this and if ever there was anyone that deserves good karma, it is you and Lonna. :sun:

RandyA

I just went to this site on Tricities.com and checked jobs and noted welder and it said there were 610 jobs available matching my search in this area. I did not fill in the blanks, so I have no idea what it will show.

www.workjobs.net

Edited by Venturous Randy

Brad, Chattanooga is AWESOME!!

With you work experience you would not have any trouble finding work.

Being that they are rebuilding the Dams in and around the area, you should not have any troubles.

I was just there for a year and I tell ya bro, that place for ever more be called home.

Places to look at for living around there are Soddy-Daisy, Signal Mountain, Lupton, Red Bank and Harrison as well as Ooltewah (Ou-Ta-Waa).

North east twards Cleavland is nice too.

Avoid the City if you can.

No State income tax, 9% sales tax on every thing, low property tax (compared to MI)

EDIT TO ADD- OH I forgot to mention $24 to reg your Cars,Scooters, Boats....Everything $24.00 !!! WOW!! And My auto ins came down $100.00 and (this I can't figure out) Credit scores went UP by 100 points just moving there.

My personal pick is around the Soddy area.

We are going down to Soddy at the end of September and will be there for a week if you are interested in coming down for a tour.

Edited by ArticusMedicus

Sorry to hear that Brother. I think you knew it was coming and I sure do know that with your talent and personality you will definitely find what your looking for. Things have a way of working out. Ill keep my fingers crossed and send a few prayers along your way.......

Brad

All the best to you and Lonna on your job search and relocation. I remember you having these thoughts a couple years ago. I am sure you will be happier in a warmer climate. Given your skills I am cofident you will find work as well.

We look forward to visiting where ever you guys end up.

Well as you know you'll be sorely missed around here but it's good that you were preparing for this day. Wishing you both the best of luck in getting where you want and with a good long lasting job to boot. :thumbsup2: :080402gudl_prv:

Hoping you guys do stay this side of the big muddy cause we'd have more chance of seeing you at various times of the year.

Larry

Sorry about your luck squidly. They say things happen for a reason here's praying all your reasons are good ones, and that the best is yet to come.:fingers-crossed-emo:thumbsup:

I guess this puts the cheesecake further away, and after I finally found a cheese cake I really like.:95:

Right now we have the biggest BRAC (base realignment and closure)Project in the Nation, read that as Uncle Sugar is paying. Fort Sam Houston is hiring by the dozens. All of the military medical training for all the services is moving here. And Brooke Army Medical Center is doubling in size. You can get a fairly nice place here cheaper than Houston (2000 square feet, $88,000) and you would have all of our good looking (and a couple of ugly) mugs to hang out with.

Whatever you decide, be assured that we will do anything we can to assist your family. I checked the postings and there are 3 different construction companies hiring for construction welders. Check out www.cpol.army.mil also

Good Luck Brad, I hope you find what you are looking for. Wish I could help you more, but you know you'll always have a place to stay when you're in the area. I'll keep my ears open for you. I can offer free indoor parking to any scoots you bring along....

:thumbsup2:

Hey Ladies and Gents,

The title is a little misleading, but it sums up what's gonna happen. Today I got the axe from work, as well as about 20 others. Kinda surreal right now, but I'm not wasting any time. This is an opportunity to get out of the huge suck hole called Michigan and move somewhere else.

If I can impose on you members, and ask for your help in networking myself, this would put Lonna's mind at ease. I am a powerhouse mechanic and a certified arc welder. We are looking to head either to the Houston Texas area or the Knoxville/Chattanooga Tennessee area. If anyone knows or hears of work ion these areas, please shoot me a PM.

As always in life, another hurtle and I believe that God is smacking me upside the head for a reason.....and I believe that reason is to get out of Michigan. All the best and hang on for this trip, it should be a good one to listen to :thumbsup2:

HEAD South young white-boy!!!!!!!!------------best move ya'll will ever make!!!!!:clap2::clap2::usa::usa::sun1::sun1:

I'm sure you can research everything from the net, but if you want, I'll send you some newspapers. In the meantime, we'll be watching for something for you. Oil is still king here and there are huge companies that need welder/fitters and mechanical technicians.

If you looking in Chattanooga you may want to consider North East Alabama, tax base much better and you get a lot more house for your money. I have a lot of web sites for looking up information and housing in that area if you need it. In fact when the Daughter and I leave the hub we are heading to NE Alabama and meet with my Real Estate agent down there. I'm working at a Feb. or March move if all possible. Last time I was overwhelmed by all the good deals available in houses. I plan on renting while I look. Good Luck, about anywhere is better then Michigan.

I live in Houston and have a buddy who works in one of the big powerplants here. I've passed along your message and asked if they need people. I'll keep my ears open too. Lots of places here making pipe and big steel stuff, so there must be something.

I'm not gonna refute the comments made saying San Antonio is great, but I'll point out that Houston is better. :thumbsup:

Dave

Janis and I wish you and Lonna the very best moving forward, Brad! I can only encourage you to see this as a great opportunity to write the next chapter in your lifebook.

Of course, we'd love to see you find your way to the Chattanooga area (rather damned selfish of us North GA folk, I know!), but wherever you land will be the right place to be. For now, just take a deep breath, rub your belly, and smile like Buddha!

TERRY

Congrats on the opportunity to leave Michigan.

I'd say come on over to MN, we're not as bad as Michigan yet. We still have jobs. Sioux Falls, SD is always advertising about their jobs and the fact that the state does not have personal income taxes.

Since your looking for Texas, you should make a huge effort to look down there. Texas is one of the few states were jobs are increasing.