IGNORED

I finally realized I can't do it

jfoster

After a 2200 mile last week on my 06 RSTD, I realized either I got the wrong bike or I can't do long rides. Primarily my hind-end got the best of me...I hate to give in to defeat but, I think I'm only good for two tanks of gas. One to get there and one to get back. My hat is off to you guys that can ride all day, everyday. As far as seating, I've tried the mustang and currently riding on the comfort-cruise with a utopia back rest. I made the mistake of telling my wife I wanted to try a goldwing next and she said I was in denial, lol.

While I can do it, I'm not comfortable riding more than 3-400 miles a day.

The RSTD is as comfortable of a MC as you'll find, I believe.

I plan stops every 90 minutes whether I need gas or not. Walk around a bit in a new small town and see whats there. Do they have a Dairy Queen? Maybe there's an interesting museum or folk art gallery?

I used to stop at every small tavern that advertised Budweiser and cheeseburgers, those roadside holes-in-the wall are gone for the most part, and I don't usually drink while riding anymore.

I've found that a liberal sprinking of mentholated talcum powder in my underwear is a big help too.

So slow down and enjoy the USA. Your butt will thank you...

:12101:

I have to agree with Randy, stopping for a few minutes can make a big difference. There have been times I have stopped for gas and have had to insist that Laura get off the bike. First, because I do not like her on the bike when fueling and second because she needs to change from sitting. She is especially bad for this when she is tired.

RandyA

After a 2200 mile last week on my 06 RSTD, I realized either I got the wrong bike or I can't do long rides. Primarily my hind-end got the best of me...I hate to give in to defeat but, I think I'm only good for two tanks of gas. One to get there and one to get back. My hat is off to you guys that can ride all day, everyday. As far as seating, I've tried the mustang and currently riding on the comfort-cruise with a utopia back rest. I made the mistake of telling my wife I wanted to try a goldwing next and she said I was in denial, lol.

the stock seat sucks. try a different one. beads help as well as a quick change of pace at every other fuel stop.

No matter what you ride stop and take a break, especially to get some water.

I found that as I age my need for water - for whatever reason - has really increased so I carry a camelbak/molle pack with a hydration bladder. My first long ride of the season I forgot that tidbit and nearly became road pizza.

I really like Rick Butler's seats as well as the Mustang, like any seat they will take time to break in (and I can't ride with a back rest). Some of the folks I ride with use sheeps skin, others gel packs.

In the end it's about riding comfortably so if you need a 'wing to do it work that delusion as hard as you can until it's sitting in front of you.

my rstd seat was not very comfy. i went to a road sofa it was much better. had a corbin on it for a week. it probably would have been the best by far, but i did'nt give it a chance. i have had many corbins got one on my v-star now. for me they are the best. soft is not always better. the corbin is firm but gives total support kind of like a tractor seat. you don't sit on the boys or your tail bone. if you try a corbin give it a thousand miles or so to let the memory foam get to fit you. bill :2133:

I've found that the more you ride the "harder" your butt gets. Take progressively longer rides and it will be easier on your back side. Getting off and walking around every little bit is good advice too. You can't just jump on a bike and take off on a 4-5,000k trip and your butt make it in good shape.

I ride a 2nd Gen Venture with the pillow top seat. I can ride from sunup to sunset. Have a couple of friends who have replaced their RSTD stock seats with the pillowtop seat from a venture and they love them. There is a bracket that you can use to retro fit the venture seat to the RSTD, it is not a direct bolt on.

After a 2200 mile last week on my 06 RSTD, I realized either I got the wrong bike or I can't do long rides. Primarily my hind-end got the best of me...I hate to give in to defeat but, I think I'm only good for two tanks of gas.

Do you have a backrest? I can tell you and many here will attest that without a backrest 2 to 300 miles is all you'll get out of an enjoyable ride before fatigue sets in. The 1st 2 things I put on every bike I get is a backrest and highway pegs.

There is lots of good info here on this thread, I have heard great things about Rick Butler and the magic he performs on seats. He makes a tailbone relief in them and I know several people here that say it's night and day as far as long range comfort. I wouldn't throw in the towel yet, if you dont have a backrest....get one, and PM Rick to get your seat modified :thumbsup2:

2200 mile week: my first reaction was that that equates to 300mi/day or two tanks. 'Course I didn't see whether this was a long haul out and back so maybe my assumption is incorrect.

I would agree that multiple stops would ease LD rides. Brenda and I rode about 300 miles last weekend on a mix of interstate, curvy secondaries and 4-lane highway (about a third each), we were out for 9 hours, with breakfast, lunch and a coffee stop included and still home by 0300pm. It made us realize that a long distance run (e.g. to see friends) is quite doable within our personal limits.

Having said that, when I bought my bike, I rode it home (650 miles) with the thought that I had to do it in one day, the self imposed pressure to accomplish that made for a hard ride, which could have been much more relaxed, even for a one day run!

I have a very soft leather aftermarket seat on the '83, and have done 600 mile days without any discomfort. I'm good for about 4 tanks... 150 miles each before starting to look for fuel and taking a fifteen minute break. I've also spent up to 11 hours straight in the saddle on it. Felt fine. I have a Corbin on the '91, but haven't taken any long rides on it yet. It sits roomier and feels good when I'm on it, even though it's a harder seat. Maybe it's because I have so much natural padding??? :rotfl::)

Hey jfoster,

You need to get your factory seat modified by Rick Butler....it's called the butt Butler seat mod. I have a 99 Venture and until I got a backrest like you I had a hard time riding for more than 250 miles. However when I got the seat mod at M.D. this year I was able to do 4-500 miles in a day. Dont get me wrong I was tired after those rides, but my rear was much much better. Rick shaves your seat foam to allow for more relief in your hind end and also cuts out a v for your tailbone to set into. He then puts on a memory foam that he contact cements to your original foam and recovers it with your cover. Trust me when I say your arse will love you. Try it You'll like it!!!!:banana:

Big Mike

There is a great difference between seats, i can ride have ridden 700 miles in one day no problem. However on our last long outing, my house to Key West and back in 3 days 1575 mile round trip. We were coming home, and my nephew was ridding my brothers 1500 Goldwing he asked to ride my venture so we switched. If anyone wants to know the true attrabutes of a goldwing ride anything esle 800 miles then get on a wing. You will know just how comfortable a goldwing really is on the factory seat. I felt like I had taken a 2 hour rest stop and could have went on home.

My brother's 05 1800 is more comfortable than the 1500.

Ok back to the rstd, try an ultimate seat on it, they are the most comfortable seats I have ever rode, Des does not make one for the venture, but they do for RSTD.

Never heard of anyone complain about an Ultimate seat.

www.ultimateseats.ca

If go to a bike event where they are they will let you try one.

Gregg

I too have an '06 RSTD. I had Rick Butler modify my seat and I think it made a difference. But the real difference was two things: building endurance and acknowledging that breaks are a good thing.

Before my first trip, I rode with a group that likes 250 mile days. Just about every Sunday we'd ride somewhere, stopping every hour or so. I remember my first 300 mile day (on my old Suzuki), and how it hurt. Two months later, 300 miles was easy-peasy. By then I was on the RSTD. The point is, that if you get used to longer riding days, stretching it a bit on trips is not painful, just a stretch.

I like to think of it like I am an athlete preparing for a marathon by running a few miles every day, and a few half-marathons as practice.

The harder thing, for me, is forcing myself to take breaks, especially in the morning. I am fresh and feel like two hours and 120 miles is no big deals between breaks. But I feel it in the afternoon with fatigue. So I make myself stop every hour, even if it is just to empty the bladder. Just five minutes out of the saddle every hour makes the whole day better.

I also do careful route planning using Google Earth. I enable the dots that show where people have posted photos. When I see a cluster of them, I figure it is a good place to stop and take my own photos. If nothing else, I am seeing the country that I am moving through, which is one of the reasons I am riding the bike rather than hitting the superslab in the cage.

I can testify that you can follow this frequent stopping idea and still ride 700 miles in a day on a RSTD.

Of course, it could be that you have done all this and still can't ride more than 300 miles in a day. Everyone is different.

Dave

Try placing a hunk of sheepskin over that seat of yours.....as long as you are parked on top of it the wind can't blow it off.

Boomer.........who also reccommends that you NOT park the scoot near any live sheep as they will try to kick yer a$$ for using one of their relatives in such a manner.

Quote:
There is a great difference between seats, i can ride have ridden 700 miles in one day no problem. However on our last long outing, my house to Key West and back in 3 days 1575 mile round trip. We were coming home, and my nephew was ridding my brothers 1500 Goldwing he asked to ride my venture so we switched. If anyone wants to know the true attrabutes of a goldwing ride anything esle 800 miles then get on a wing. You will know just how comfortable a goldwing really is on the factory seat. I felt like I had taken a 2 hour rest stop and could have went on home.
My brother's 05 1800 is more comfortable than the 1500.

Ok back to the rstd, try an ultimate seat on it, they are the most comfortable seats I have ever rode, Des does not make one for the venture, but they do for RSTD.

Never heard of anyone complain about an Ultimate seat.
www.ultimateseats.ca
If go to a bike event where they are they will let you try one.

Gregg 

Ihave one on my Road Star and have loved every mile on it. Would put one on the Venture if they made it. Paul

:Venture:

Hey jfoster,

You need to get your factory seat modified by Rick Butler....it's called the butt Butler seat mod. I have a 99 Venture and until I got a backrest like you I had a hard time riding for more than 250 miles. However when I got the seat mod at M.D. this year I was able to do 4-500 miles in a day. Dont get me wrong I was tired after those rides, but my rear was much much better. Rick shaves your seat foam to allow for more relief in your hind end and also cuts out a v for your tailbone to set into. He then puts on a memory foam that he contact cements to your original foam and recovers it with your cover. Trust me when I say your arse will love you. Try it You'll like it!!!!:banana:

Big Mike

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

You don't say how old you are (and you don't have too). I seriously believe it does make a difference though. I've noticed as I get older all my "back side" padding is slowly moving to my "front side". Seats are a difficult thing to fit. I've tried Corbin and Mustang. I finally found one that works for me. Kinda expensive, and you have to wait till they make it for you but they named it correctly. http://www.day-long.com/ I can ride sunup to sunset now without a problem. Not the prettiest looking seat, kinda looks like an old Farmall tractor seat (I think they were in the seat from sunup to sunset too) but it kept me from selling my first bike. It's the first thing I order when I get a new bike.

I don't care how old you feel, It takes time to build up to doing a 500 to 1000 mile day.

in 28 years of riding, my longest day was 1076 miles, pulling this thing, one up

But with the wife, our longest day was 535 & took just as long

Edited by Brake Pad

Having done the 750 to 950 mile days for years, I'm finding that less than 500 miles a day is much more relaxing. My riding buddy just cannot do it anymore :crying:, so we are trailering to those long distance locations. We are hoping to save ourselves for as much riding as we can get in while we are in that area. It seems the older I get, the more my priorities seem to change. :dancefool: :confused24:

If you don't have highway pegs give it a try... cost is very low.

I have a backrest as well on my 05 Venture and it does help on long rides but after everyone telling me to try the highway pegs I can go 1000 miles before the butt starts kicking.

What I do is keep changing it up every 30 min or so and I found that to work great for me.

The 10 min gas stops helps as well but the pegs will defiantly help you out on long rides. :thumbsup2:

When I first got mine I kept trying to push myself back and up in the seat and it was killing me. Now I've learned to just let myself slide down into the middle and I have very little trouble at all. I can and do often ride all day. The longest so far 575 miles and pushed that several times now. :2cents: