IGNORED

Metzler issues: Front or Rear?

BigBoyinMS

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the rear and hopefully only on the RSV or similarly weighted bike. Marilyn is running metz on her vstar. This is the second set and she has no complaints. I am hoping this tire wont go crazy on her. Ive never heard of one going on the lighter bikes.

I got mine this spring front and rear, put 7,000 miles on them with no problems. The ware on the tires are good, maybe 1/2 worn if that.. I think if you keep the presure right you will get alot of miles out of these tires, also no tire noises and smooth ride...

I got mine this spring front and rear, put 7,000 miles on them with no problems. The ware on the tires are good, maybe 1/2 worn if that.. I think if you keep the presure right you will get alot of miles out of these tires, also no tire noises and smooth ride...

I would certainely keep an eye on that rear tire for cracks, swells and lost rubber. Unless someone is running their tire 30 lbs less than it should be, or doing pit burnouts, then NO TIRE SHOULD LOSE RUBBER.

The reason that I asked is that the previous owner gave me a new ME880 for the front which I had put on just after I got the bike 3 months ago. That's before all I heard about the Metzlers.

Although I would rather not have it, I think I'll keep it on and watch the pressure. I just replaced a cupped ME880 that was on the rear with a CT so I'm good on the rear.

I would certainely keep an eye on that rear tire for cracks, swells and lost rubber. Unless someone is running their tire 30 lbs less than it should be, or doing pit burnouts, then NO TIRE SHOULD LOSE RUBBER.

My tire had alittle over 3K on it when it went.

Now I have a ME880 180/80 on it, wider tire, lower profile, buy I keep my eye on the pressure. 40-41 in rear , 41- when pulling the trailer & 38-40 in front.

I put new tires on the bike, one week before we met up, on the way to Ark., so Sept 18th or so, and now the tires have alittle over 6 K on them

my rear tire went at just over 3000 and my buddy lost his rear metz around 5 or 6000 . i was doing 65 mph when it ballooned and i nailed the brakes and went for the shoulder. big section of rubber delaminated from the carcass and yes i kept a very close eye on tire pressure. i took the front off also and replaced both. what a waste of money, the company has very poor complaints department.

it was so close to being a disaster, so stay away from them..

.........................................I had just under 15,000 on my last pair, and picked up a nail in the rear. Decided to change both since I wanted to go with a smaller front tire. I now have just iunder 5,000 on the new set. No problems. will buy Metzler again when the time comes..............

I LOVE MY METZLERS, BUT...

with all the negatives i've read on here i will probably look for something different when the time comes. i do seem to check the tires alot more often now and one thing i have noticed is noise that seems to come from the tires, especially when i'm leaning thru a turn. (never seemed to hear it before with the old dry-rotted, bald dunlops that were on the bike before.)

So far, so good...(Knock on wood)

Brake Pad, I'm running stock size rear Metzler and notice you have a 180 on but two Metzler reps I talked to in last two months say only two pressures, 45 psi (one up) 50psi (two up). I agree that low pressure should not destroy tire. I had two 2" square pieces come off and got free replacement. This is my third set and like them. Will see how 50psi works, 6k on now.

I've never had a problem with the Metzlers, but after hearing of all the problems the others have had with Dunlops, Avons, and Mitchlins, I went to a BF Goodrich on the rear. I still have a Metzler on the front, wear is great, and have not heard any complaints about the tire on the front of the bike, just the rear.

• 1 month later...

I had a problem with the first Metzler tire on the rear which was the replacment for the original Dunlap that picked up a nail at about 3000 miles. The Metzler developed a crack in the tread, which I thought was a bit unusual. Upon taking the tire back to the dealer he was quick to ask what tire pressure I was running. I told him I was following the sticker pressure that was inside the trunk. Right when I told him that I relized that was the wrong answer. What I should have been doing was following the recomended pressure on the side of the tire. I put another Metzler back on the rear and have since replaced the front with a Metzler. I have also crossed out the information on the tag in the trunk and the manual and wrote See Tires in its place. Live and Learn I Guess.

So what pressure do you put on your Metzlers for the Front and Rear? When I had my Metzlers on my Vulcan, I used 36F and 39R.

On my OEM Bridgestones with 2K miles (Venture), I have 36F and 38R.

I hope the defective tires are already out of circulation.

I had a problem with the first Metzler tire on the rear which was the replacment for the original Dunlap that picked up a nail at about 3000 miles. The Metzler developed a crack in the tread, which I thought was a bit unusual. Upon taking the tire back to the dealer he was quick to ask what tire pressure I was running. I told him I was following the sticker pressure that was inside the trunk. Right when I told him that I relized that was the wrong answer. What I should have been doing was following the recomended pressure on the side of the tire. I put another Metzler back on the rear and have since replaced the front with a Metzler. I have also crossed out the information on the tag in the trunk and the manual and wrote See Tires in its place. Live and Learn I Guess.

The pressure stamped on the tire is NOT a recommended pressure - it is clearly marked as MAXIMUM, and it is the pressure needed to safely carry the maximum rated load for that particular tire. Many tire manufactures do publish recommended tire pressure for specific applications and bikes, but it is not marked on the tire.

On a side note, if you have read any of the other threads on these extremely dangerous Metzeler POS tires you have seen that the favorite ploy of this terrible company is to blame their customers for ruining their tires with the wrong air pressure. That is how they get out of honoring the warranty. NO other manufacturer of motorcycle tires has the huge number of problems with tires coming apart as they do, and NO other manufacturer constantly tries to blame their customers.

Goose

I still frequent the Kawasaki Forum and the majority of Metzler users have never reported any problems with their tires disintegrating and eventually posing a safety issue to the rider. I am not sure, but it has something to do with the weight of the Venture as opposed to the lighter weight of a regular cruiser. As far as I know, Dunlops and Avons are widely used on large heavy cruiser and touring bikes that weigh over 800 lbs..

The only problem I have known is on the Venture and tour deluxe but a few here swear by them,I will never buy a set for mine again 1700 miles and chunking rubber...My life is worth more to me than taking the chance. I have 13000 on my Avons now and looks good but I am not aggressive..I look at them each time before I ride and check pressure at least once a month.

I was fortunate enough to see a presentation by an Avon rep last month. During his presentation he stated that Avon is a premium tire, like Metzeler and Pirelli, and that like the other premium tires require a higher pressure than factory tires.

On my 1st gen I have the 880s that the PO had on it. I run the Rear at 46PSI and the front at 36PSI which at lower than the Metzeler recommended pressure, especially since I sometimes ride 2 up HEAVY. Next season I'll probably go to 50/40.

IMO the 880s stick like glue. I've never had the bike feel less than sure footed. Only problem I have with them is the noise they make when turning. When they need replacement I'll probably go with the Avon Venom just because of the noise.

I check the tread on the rear frequently, and the pressure too. So far, no issues.

I caught my 880 splitting before anything happened,I took it back to where it was bought and he contacted a rep. The rep replaced the tire and I had to pay for the remount. He took no responsibility for the tire but did it to make a customer happy. Anyway that did it for me, I have stayed with the Dunlop 404's with no problems and have run the Dunlop elite 3 that I like too. Quote the Raven "never more" for Metzlers!