IGNORED

Metzler issues: Front or Rear?

BigBoyinMS

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently using Metzlers on my Vulcan and have no complaints at all. Not sure what Ventures come with stock from the factory (maybe Dunlops), when the time comes...Metzlers may be my next tire once again.

I would highy recomend that you listen to what others on this forum are saying about the problems with Metzlers.I have never had them but this is one group of experienced riders.It sounds as if it has something to do with the weight of the Venture abd RSTD but what also bothers me is they try to place the blame on the rider and have not warned the consumer that they have complaints about the tire chunking and seperating.Do not risk your life over a set of tires.:12101:

Hi from France :happy34:!

Here in France, many bikers ride with metzeler !

There are two models metzeler for venture ! 140 90 16 but one is 71 H and the other 77 H ! The H is for maximum speed but 71 and 77 are for weight ! If you look at the heavy weight of the Venture, naturally it needs a 77 (I buy a 77 H !)

For the front weel there are also two models 65 and 71 (I buy a 71 H)

All the pneumatics have that maximum weight note ! The best is always buy the maximum !!! ;)

Exemple T = 190 km/h, U = 200 km/h, H = 210 km/h, V = more than 210 km/h .........

Other exemple : 60 is for 250 kg, 61 = 257, 62 = 265kg, ...69 = 325kg, 70 = 335kg,

71 = 345kg, 72 = 355kg.....77 = 412kg

Here we have many site who's name is "Read a pneumatic", there is all that you that you can read on a pneumatic, week and year of manufacture...........

Bikers Friendships at all :happy34:! barry-only-n7

I put many miles on 3 sets of 880's with no problem......Never had a problem but I switched to Avon Venoms and have ran 3 sets of them and love them......Makes my Venture think it's a Sport Bike......I always think most guys tire problems are pressure related.....

PLEASE EVERYONE CHECK YOUR TIRES BEFORE A RIDE IF THE BIKE HAS SET A FEW DAYS OR AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK IF YOU RIDE DAILY......PLEASE>>>>>>THIS IS THE SINGLE ONE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO TO LIVE TO RIDE ANOTHER DAY

JerryK:Venture:

I would highy recomend that you listen to what others on this forum are saying about the problems with Metzlers.I have never had them but this is one group of experienced riders.It sounds as if it has something to do with the weight of the Venture abd RSTD but what also bothers me is they try to place the blame on the rider and have not warned the consumer that they have complaints about the tire chunking and seperating.Do not risk your life over a set of tires.:12101:

Looks like some and not all riders have problems with Metzlers. The last time I checked my Odo I have close to 1800 miles, so it may take one more season before I start thinking of a tire replacement. As it stands now, OEM Bridgestones may be my 1st choice and then Avon.

Looks like some and not all riders have problems with Metzlers. The last time I checked my Odo I have close to 1800 miles, so it may take one more season before I start thinking of a tire replacement. As it stands now, OEM Bridgestones may be my 1st choice and then Avon.

I got less than 6000 out of the OEM bridgestone before it got square and sounded like a freight train on the corners. I wont put another BS on my bike. It will be another Metz or an Avon.-I have a front BS with less than 6K on it if anyone wants to come get it--Buzz

Oh man, where to start? Assuming for a moment that you are not deliberately trying to bait the majority of members here who have some significant experience with tires on the RSV, it is beyond my personal comprehension how anyone could consider OEM Brickstone tires for this bike. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WORSE TIRE OPTION AVAILABLE! Of course, that is just my opinion - you are free to indulge in your own. It is not that they are dangerous like the Metzelers, just that they don't last, handle terribly, and howl like an injured bassett hound after only a few thousand miles!

As for your comment on the number of problems with Metzeler tires, I doubt anyone will disagree. No one has ever claimed that "all" riders who have the misfortune of riding on Metzeler tires on the RSV have experienced problems, just a much higher percentage of them than with any other tire. The key to our concerns here is that a relatively huge number of Metzeler tires on Royal Star bikes have integrity problems when compared to all other tire brands. There is a lot of speculation why, including the weight of the bike, but no one knows for sure. True, the RSV is the heaviest main-line touring bike made, but the POS that Metzeler is selling for these machines has a higher load rating than the stock tires do. To me, this shows just how unbelievably poor these tires are! Think about it for a minute - if those pieces of junk are rated for a higher load rating than is required for the RSV, and they still blow chunks of rubber in numbers far exceeding all other tires, how could they be anything other than junk?

For everyone who still likes the Metzeler tires on the Royal Stars, I am happy that you have personally defied the odds and survived. I wish you continued luck. For me, I have seen more than enough evidence, both personally and reported by others whom I trust, to convince me that ever buying one of their products is not something that I would include in the category of an intelligent decision. Not only is the product unsafe, but the company has repeatedly made a point of insulting their customers and refusing to stand behind their tires. On the few occasions where they do replace a bad tire, they always stick their customers with the unwarranted cost of having to replace something that should NOT have been necessary.

I have no personal stake in this argument. My only interest is in trying to ensure that all of our members who decide to buy Mezeler tires make an informed decision, knowing before hand of all the reported problems. If they still feel that they want that tire, they are certainly free to spend their money how they like. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I got less than 6000 out of the OEM bridgestone before it got square and sounded like a freight train on the corners. I wont put another BS on my bike. It will be another Metz or an Avon.-I have a front BS with less than 6K on it if anyone wants to come get it--Buzz

Very interesting and worth noting. I am obviously not at that kind of mileage yet (6K) and may or may not experience the same problem you had. So far so good (knocking on wood) as far as my OEM Bridgestones are concerned. Right now, I try to keep my tire pressure at 36F and 39R and hopefully it will last as long as I still have safe tread on them. There is another thread and the members seem to like D404's (was OEM on my Vulcan) and Dunlop Elite are their choices.

Oh man, where to start? Assuming for a moment that you are not deliberately trying to bait the majority of members here who have some significant experience with tires on the RSV, it is beyond my personal comprehension how anyone could consider OEM Brickstone tires for this bike. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WORSE TIRE OPTION AVAILABLE! Of course, that is just my opinion - you are free to indulge in your own. It is not that they are dangerous like the Metzelers, just that they don't last, handle terribly, and howl like an injured bassett hound after only a few thousand miles!

As for your comment on the number of problems with Metzeler tires, I doubt anyone will disagree. No one has ever claimed that "all" riders who have the misfortune of riding on Metzeler tires on the RSV have experienced problems, just a much higher percentage of them than with any other tire. The key to our concerns here is that a relatively huge number of Metzeler tires on Royal Star bikes have integrity problems when compared to all other tire brands. There is a lot of speculation why, including the weight of the bike, but no one knows for sure. True, the RSV is the heaviest main-line touring bike made, but the POS that Metzeler is selling for these machines has a higher load rating than the stock tires do. To me, this shows just how unbelievably poor these tires are! Think about it for a minute - if those pieces of junk are rated for a higher load rating than is required for the RSV, and they still blow chunks of rubber in numbers far exceeding all other tires, how could they be anything other than junk?

For everyone who still likes the Metzeler tires on the Royal Stars, I am happy that you have personally defied the odds and survived. I wish you continued luck. For me, I have seen more than enough evidence, both personally and reported by others whom I trust, to convince me that ever buying one of their products is not something that I would include in the category of an intelligent decision. Not only is the product unsafe, but the company has repeatedly made a point of insulting their customers and refusing to stand behind their tires. On the few occasions where they do replace a bad tire, they always stick their customers with the unwarranted cost of having to replace something that should NOT have been necessary.

I have no personal stake in this argument. My only interest is in trying to ensure that all of our members who decide to buy Mezeler tires make an informed decision, knowing before hand of all the reported problems. If they still feel that they want that tire, they are certainly free to spend their money how they like. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Not really trying to bait anyone to buy Metzlers (do not own any stock with them), just trying to interact with the discussion and wondering myself why Metzlers are not as popular to the Venture as compared to the Vulcans. There is also a good financial reason why Yamaha chose to pick Bridgestones to be the OEM tire on their nice Ventures. Your observations are valid and is a safety concern to all Venture riders, so I am very glad that people have the chance voice out their experience. If down the road I do not see any problems with my tires, I will certainly keep them on for until the end of its useful like as a tire...then I will decide between Bridgestones, Dunlop, Avon, and due to this thread Metzlers can be my very last choice on tires.

2nd, I never really commented anything on the number of Metzler tire failures on this thread. In fact, I am a former owner of bike that had Metzler tires and couldn't be any happier with them on my Vulcan. It is a good assumption that because of the heavier weight of the Venture compared to other cruisers, the Metzler may be not the perfect tire.

There will always be other Venture riders out there that will still stick to Metzlers and as always, I do wish that nobody experience any more tire failures no matter what manufacturer tire they are using be a motorcycle tire or a car tire. Since I had no problems with my previous Metzlers on my Vulcan, I cannot comment on the quality of customer service Metzler has.

Ultimately, this is a free country so riders have the freedom to choose what kind of tire they would like to install on their Venture. If the Metzler problem appears to be worsening, it may be a good idea that members file a complaint to the appropriate vehicle transportation board...NTSB perhaps to document this particular issue.

Ride safe everyone. :Venture:

The pressure stamped on the tire is NOT a recommended pressure - it is clearly marked as MAXIMUM, and it is the pressure needed to safely carry the maximum rated load for that particular tire. Many tire manufactures do publish recommended tire pressure for specific applications and bikes, but it is not marked on the tire.

On a side note, if you have read any of the other threads on these extremely dangerous Metzeler POS tires you have seen that the favorite ploy of this terrible company is to blame their customers for ruining their tires with the wrong air pressure. That is how they get out of honoring the warranty. NO other manufacturer of motorcycle tires has the huge number of problems with tires coming apart as they do, and NO other manufacturer constantly tries to blame their customers.

Goose

Actually it was not the factory rep that I was talking to, it was the dealer who has been in the are for 40 years or longer. He said the 880 was a 50 PSI tire which is what I have seen others here say they are running for this tire. This is also what it says on the tire. He actually steared me away from Avons and recomended the Metzler as being the right tire for the Venture.

Oh man don';t get me started on metzler tires. I had my rear tire on my 86 venture bubble out and the tire split on the way to ashville,nc with my wife. I rode it to a yamaha dealership flat because a harley dealership 6 miles away would not tough anything but a harley go figure. I was told by the mechanic that the tire was defective. Since I was loaded with luggage and my wife I did not take the tire with me so the dealership said they would take care of it. I only had the tire 4 months. It had maybe 500 miles on it. My wife took alot of pictures of the tire on the bike and off the bike. The bad thing was the only tire they had for my venture was another metzler go figure so they cut 35.00 off it. So I paid 259.00 in the end the same price I paid for the same tire and repair 4 months ago. I called metzler about what happened and asked that I would like to be reinburst fot the 259.00 for the one I just had changed after 6 hours of waiting on my vacation ot have it changed. I told them I was not asking for the 259.00 for 4 months ago with the other metzler. They asked do you have the tire and I told them no that I had nowhere to put it and I would call the dealer in ashville to see if they still had it and the dealer said no they trahed it. I called metzler back and told them that and that I also had the original receipt from 4 months ago and had lots of pictures. They said NO if we don't have the tire then their is nothing we can do for me. I said you have to be kidding and they said no and sent me a 2 page e-mail about the policy of retuning a tire. Wow I never got that 2 page letter when I bought the tire guess it has to be defective first before all the policies come out that you never read or knew about. Well they said sorry no tire it was my tough luck and I told them I would let everyone know about metzler motorcycle tires and they told me their lawyers would be watching me. I was told later by my firend that they had just started making the tires in Brazil not the US anymore. DON'T BUY METZLER TIRES! I thank God I wasn't killed I know I rode 4 hours on that tire until I got gas and heard the thump thump and looked at the tire. I guess big companies don't have to answer to us little bikers. I did keep all their e-mails so it reminds me to never buy another on of their tires!:mo money:

Meatloaf

Goose

I would question what is stated here. The attached was posted in the Feb 2000 issue of Sport Rider magazine. With this in mind I would wonder if V7Goose really knows what he is talking about and why he would make such a post.

"Tire manufacturers spend a lot of time determining what pressures will provide the best compromise of performance and tire wear on the street. While some manufacturers recommend running the same pressures listed in the owner's manual for the bike's OE tires, a significant number-such as Metzeler and Pirelli-have proprietary pressures that should be run on particular tire/bike combinations. Be sure to ask your dealer or check the tire manufacturer's product literature for specific numbers. And check the pressure before every ride! Cory Johnson from Metzeler/Pirelli says between 75 and 80 percent of the tire warranty claims he reviews are caused by underinflation. When the cost of today's premium rubber is considered, investing in a good tire gauge-and using it religiously-is cheap insurance".

Edited by DavidD

Tire manufacturers spend a lot of time determining what pressures will provide the best compromise of performance and tire wear on the street. While some manufacturers recommend running the same pressures listed in the owner's manual for the bike's OE tires, a significant number-such as Metzeler and Pirelli-have proprietary pressures that should be run on particular tire/bike combinations. Be sure to ask your dealer or check the tire manufacturer's product literature for specific numbers. And check the pressure before every ride! Cory Johnson from Metzeler/Pirelli says between 75 and 80 percent of the tire warranty claims he reviews are caused by underinflation. When the cost of today's premium rubber is considered, investing in a good tire gauge-and using it religiously-is cheap insurance. Feb. 2000, Sport Rider Mag.

Edited by DavidD
Added Source Of Information

I would question what is stated here. The attached was posted in the Feb 2000 issue of Sport Rider magazine. With this in mind I would wonder if V7Goose really knows what he is talking about and why he would make such a post.

"Tire manufacturers spend a lot of time determining what pressures will provide the best compromise of performance and tire wear on the street. While some manufacturers recommend running the same pressures listed in the owner's manual for the bike's OE tires, a significant number-such as Metzeler and Pirelli-have proprietary pressures that should be run on particular tire/bike combination. Be sure to ask your dealer or check the tire manufacturer's product literature for specific numbers. And check the pressure before every ride! Cory Johnson from Metzeler/Pirelli says between 75 and 80 percent of the tire warranty claims he reviews are caused by underinflation. When the cost of today's premium rubber is considered, investing in a good tire gauge-and using it religiously-is cheap insurance".

Well DavidD, question me all you like - that's no problem at all. But I do suggest you re-read my post and actually pay attention to what I said, then address your questions to that. I "make such a post" because those are my opinions (and I am very careful to clearly state where I have an opinion vs a fact), but more importantly, I think the facts clearly support my opinion that Metzeler is a terrible company and Metzeler tires on an RSV are an unwarranted and stupid risk that no one should take. Furthermore, absolutely nothing in your post or the quote you use in any way disagrees with what I have said. Let me show you:

The fact upon which I mostly base my opinions here was stated this way: "The key to our concerns here is that a relatively huge number of Metzeler tires on Royal Star bikes have integrity problems when compared to all other tire brands." I have expanded on this in many other posts, as have other members. Now I admit that without hard numbers, that "fact" is anecdotal, but if you disagree with it, say so. You did not. I believe I have seen more than enough evidence to prove that WAY MORE Metzeler tires on the RSV catastrophically fail from carcass delamination, including huge chunks of tread being thrown off clear down to the cords, than ANY OTHER BRAND. I further stated that neither I nor anyone else know the true cause of these failures, but it certainly should not be weight related since the Metzeler tire has a higher load rating than Yamaha requires for this bike.

The only other "fact" that I stated was that Metzeler refuses to stand behind their warranty and insults their customers by blaming them for the failures. Again, without hard numbers, this "fact" can be considered anecdotal, but strangely enough, your quote even seems to support it: "Cory Johnson from Metzeler/Pirelli says between 75 and 80 percent of the tire warranty claims he reviews are caused by underinflation." If you disagree with my belief that Metzeler disallows more warranty claims than other manufactures, or refuses to cover as much of their customers' costs when they do replace a tire, or more often blames their customers for the failure of their product than other manufacturers, then say so. My belief in this "fact" is based on the inordinately high number of first hand reports of these problems from owners on this and other forums about Metzeler, and the almost nonexistent number of the same types of reports about any other tire manufacturer for the Royal Star bikes.

Now let's address the rest of the quote you seem to like. I'll just paraphrase it all and summarize it as 'correct tire pressure is important.' I fully agree with that and everything in the quote. In fact, NOTHING in my post even implied that I disagreed. I didn't address the inflation issue at all in that post, but a simple search will show you where I have dealt with it in detail on other posts, including how it is, in my opinion, a complete red herring when used to "justify" the failure of Metzeler tires on the RSV. Even your magazine quote does not address the failure issue. It starts outsaying "Tire manufacturers spend a lot of time determining what pressures will provide the best compromise of performance and tire wear on the street." A "compromise of performance and tire wear" is NOT the same thing as preventing catastrophic tire failure!

In plain language, here is why I consider Metzeler's excuse about underinflation being a justifiable cause for their catastrophic tire failures so disingenuous: By definition, the percentage of riders who have underinflated Metzeler tires on a Royal Star must be the same as those that have underinflated tires of any other brand. But ONLY the Metzeler tires seem to delaminate from this condition in any significant numbers. In addition, many of the members here have sworn they carefully checked their tire pressures (especially after all the reported failures) and their Metzeler tire failed when inflated to maximum sidewall pressure. But let's ignore that last bit - suppose for a minute they are all mistaken and all of the catastrophic failures have been caused by underinflation, just like Metzeler says. If Metzeler tires are the only tires that routinely delaminate from this, doesn't that prove they are an unwarranted risk? It does to me. And THAT is why I want to share my opinions on this with our members.

DavidD, please understand the purpose of this response to your post. I have absolutely no problems or concerns with anyone who disagrees with me. Nor do I feel the need to defend myself against disagreement. In fact I find disagreement and different opinions very healthy. It leads to rounded discussions and getting all the facts on the table so others can make up their own mind. But you only implied you disagreed without actually saying you thought anything in my post was wrong. And you did state that you wondered why I would make such a post, so I thought I should tell you.

Ride safe,

Goose

Wow! Then I have to say I disagree with V7Goose. At least until I am presented with facts. I've see tire failures myself on other brands of tires, but have never experienced any on my bikes. Now, I've read many posts of bikers saying they would never run Dunlops, Bridgestones, and many more because of failures. Is it the riders fault, or the manufactures negligence? Metzler has worked hard to build a reputation in the motorcycle world, and I really don't see them allowing that to be jeopardized. If this tire is really so dangerous, as you say, why has there never been a recall? Please understand that I'm not saying that the reported failures on this web site are not validated, because they did happen to the individuals, and if I did have a failure with a particular brand, I would be leery of putting them on my ride again.

I had said to myself I would not post on this subject again but...I had no problem getting Metz to warranty the tire,Yes I was asked all the questions,correct air pressure,too much load on the tire etc..NOW It was up to me to let them put on another NEW rear tire.I think the bottom line is" Is this tire risking my Life after 1700 miles and its chunking rubber from the center right portion of the tire?" "Do I want to take this chance again?" My answer is NO! So I took the tire back ordered Avons and currently have 13000 miles on them and STILL look great. I dont think it is Metxler not standing behind the tire,it is admitting they have a problem on this particular size and bike fitment. You know companies do that,LIE, Yamaha saying they have no problem with the Venture and the clutch whine???? So in short buy what you want but read the articles here and another website about Metz and the Venture.If you want to buy it do so,But I REALLY think all anyone on this site wants is for the other members,(Their Friends) to be informed about the risk. My commom sense says if its reported that alot of members are having the problem with a tire,take heed and either learn from it or take your own chance..If it works good for you that is great! My life and my Wifes life is VERY important to me and I will not take that chance again! '

Wow! Then I have to say I disagree with V7Goose. At least until I am presented with facts. I've see tire failures myself on other brands of tires, but have never experienced any on my bikes. Now, I've read many posts of bikers saying they would never run Dunlops, Bridgestones, and many more because of failures. Is it the riders fault, or the manufactures negligence? Metzler has worked hard to build a reputation in the motorcycle world, and I really don't see them allowing that to be jeopardized. If this tire is really so dangerous, as you say, why has there never been a recall? Please understand that I'm not saying that the reported failures on this web site are not validated, because they did happen to the individuals, and if I did have a failure with a particular brand, I would be leery of putting them on my ride again.

Sorry but I have to completely agree with Gooses assessment of the Metzler tire. Out of three sets of 880's that I have installed, two of the rear tires failed. All sets were run at 48 lbs pressure. Set #1 failed at the end of its life span at 13k. Set #2 had no issues. Set #3 failed at 6k. And good ol' Metz customer service blamed it on underinflation both times. I didnt even want them to replace them, just address the issue. They did not even show a basic concern for the issue. Maybe there hasnt been a recall because no one has been killed yet. Maybe then a savvy lawyer will sink their teeth into them.

I have also said this before: they make a great handling tire. I loved them in wet and dry weather. Too bad they dont hold up well. Its a crapshoot at best. And I also have said in the past that, unless your running a tire seriously underinflated, and not just a few lbs under, NO TIRE SHOULD DELAMINATE. Any product out there has a built in margin of error, and that includes tires. To go with the inflation theory means that Metz tires cannot take the stress of being underinflated ANY AMOUNT OF PRESSURE!

What I would love to see is everyone who has had an issue with these tires save them and try and take them to one of the larger bike rallys where Metz has a tent set-up and put them on display. It would be great to just get maybe 25 sets of delaminated tires piled in front of their tents. :backinmyday:

Very interesting...

It may very well that bunch of Metzlers that you purchased from the same dealer are defective. I got this info from the Kawa forum and pertains to the ME880...

"Directly from Metz web sight...

Recommended Minimum Tire Pressures (PSI)

Touring/Cruiser

Alpha ME880 (MH, MT, MU tires)

Solo 2 Up Light 2 Up Heavy

Front 36 40 40

Rear 38 40 40

ME880 Solo 2 Up Light 2 Up Heavy

Front 38-40 40-42 40-42

Rear 44-46 46-48 48-50

For bikes with the following rear tire sizes: 170/80-15, 180/70-15, 150/80-16, 160/80-16, 180/60R16, 180/70R16, 200/60R16, 240/50R16, 140/80-17, 160/70-17 D spec, 170/60R17, 210/50R17, 150/70-18, 180/55ZR18, 200/50R18, 210/40R18, 260/40R18, 280/35R18, 300/35R18, 260/35R21.

ME880 (tires as listed above)

Solo 2 Up Light 2 Up Heavy

Rear 40 42 42."

Can you mention again at what tire pressure did you keep your Metzler tires riding solo and 2 up.

You folks can argue all day and those of you who think that the Metzlers are good tires then you have made your decision and that is your right. For those of who who are unsure though, LISTEN to V7Goose. They are NOT good tires for our bikes. There have been MANY reports of failures on our bikes. Yes, there have been failures on other brands too but nothing near the number of reports that we get on the Metzlers.

The under inflation argument just doesn't fly with me. You would have to convince me that only those who use Metzler tires are ever guilty of running their tires under inflated and since many of those who have experience failures have run other brands before and after then they ONLY run the Metzlers under inflated. Yes, it is important that we watch the air pressure of our tires but it's pretty pathetic that these particular tires come apart if the pressure isn't kept that high.

Bottom line. They are crappy tires and Metzler should be sued for continuing to sell them and blame the riders.

Sorry folks but these are my opinions and the opinions of many who have experience with these tires. If you are convinced in your own mind that they are good tires then by all means, do what you think is best but for those of you who are unsure, please don't buy or use them. There are several very good tires on the market for our bike. Avon, Michelin, Dunlop....there is no reason to take a chance.

Not really trying to bait anyone to buy Metzlers (do not own any stock with them), just trying to interact with the discussion and wondering myself why Metzlers are not as popular to the Venture as compared to the Vulcans. There is also a good financial reason why Yamaha chose to pick Bridgestones to be the OEM tire on their nice Ventures. Your observations are valid and is a safety concern to all Venture riders, so I am very glad that people have the chance voice out their experience. If down the road I do not see any problems with my tires, I will certainly keep them on for until the end of its useful like as a tire...then I will decide between Bridgestones, Dunlop, Avon, and due to this thread Metzlers can be my very last choice on tires.

2nd, I never really commented anything on the number of Metzler tire failures on this thread. In fact, I am a former owner of bike that had Metzler tires and couldn't be any happier with them on my Vulcan. It is a good assumption that because of the heavier weight of the Venture compared to other cruisers, the Metzler may be not the perfect tire.

There will always be other Venture riders out there that will still stick to Metzlers and as always, I do wish that nobody experience any more tire failures no matter what manufacturer tire they are using be a motorcycle tire or a car tire. Since I had no problems with my previous Metzlers on my Vulcan, I cannot comment on the quality of customer service Metzler has.

Ultimately, this is a free country so riders have the freedom to choose what kind of tire they would like to install on their Venture. If the Metzler problem appears to be worsening, it may be a good idea that members file a complaint to the appropriate vehicle transportation board...NTSB perhaps to document this particular issue.

Ride safe everyone. :Venture:

N3FOL I think the point you're missing is... Metzelers are "Thee" tire to run on 99% of the motorcycles out there... I used to run em on my GW and I swore by them... They would outlast Dunlops & Conties 2 to 1... My tire guy swears by them and thinks they're the greatest... But on the Yamaha Royal Star line there have been lots of issues with them... Ply separations, blowing chunks, and blow outs... I won't run them on my RSV, But I am running a Car Tire on the back... Some people consider that to be risky but I don't think it's as risky as running a Metz... We've heard all the excuses from Metz... Rider abuse, under inflation, overloaded, and "Oh it's just the Brazil made Metzs"... Well I've heard of a few German Metzs with issues too...

Hey if it was just a few fat guys with big Ol'Ladys that don't know how to work an air gauge I'd be the first guy on here calling it BS... I don't know how long you've been here or on other RS Forums but it's way past a few fatties..