IGNORED

Has anyone ever ridden a sport touring bike??

we2riders

I am wondering what kind of touring capabilitys a Concours would have.. I KNOW the wife and I are wayy spoiled with the 1st Gen Yammer (I am wondering if my body is permanently molded to the good ol yam) BUT I have a chance to get on a Concours for a really swinging deal and am considering it..

At any rate,, anyone here ever spent anytime on anything even remotely comparable??

All yeas and neayss welcome!

thanks

Scott

My friend has an 08 and I was thingking about getting one but after riding his, and his has 1 1/2 inch risers for the handlebars, it was still to much lean over the tank and too much pressure on my hands. It had great power, was very easy to ride and seemed to know what you wanted to do it before you did it. I found it liked to be under power in turns. I will stick to my 2 1st gens and my cruiser. Too old for sports riding.

I did not like the Concourse personally, however I know several 1st gen riders who switched to one and love it.

I have had the conny and a 1st and 2nd gen

Going from the 1st gen to the conny would not be too hard of a change, a bit firmer ride and a loss in power at high rpm's however the conny does handle as well if not a little better.

Just my .02$ not looking for a banter from the gallery.

:whistling:

I don't say much too often, but my dealer had a FJR1300 in for test rides. So, I said why not! It was a fine machine with lots of new technology. It was also scary fast as I would imagine the concours is also. These where the issues I had with that kind of bike. Riding position.......to much over the tank and my feet under me. On a trip last summer, my wife and I knocked out two 600 mile days, do not know if I can handle that for a ride like that. Also, I prefer a half helmet. When I hit 95 on the darn thing my helmet almost choked me:rotf:. And the final nail is.....my wife would not ride with me any more based on how my driving would change. However, I will give the bike its due, because it was reallllly fun to ride. I just can't afford a fun bike like that and keep my tour deluxe.. my 2 cents. Do what you think is best and enjoy the heck out of it!!!!!:080402gudl_prv:

I had a ST1300 and the wife refused to ride it based on looks. I'm more comfortable on longer rides with my feet forward and leaning back on my backrest. If I could afford it I'd have two m/c's, my HD and a sport tourer. They're a lot of fun and enjoyed the ST on short trips.

Ah come-on now. The riding position isn't as bad as most make it out to be. I got rid of my Harley Ultra and picked up a brand new FJR1300 in April. I installed a MCL top plate and a peg lowering kit. I also installed a Corbin heated seat and a CBaily windscreen. I rode down to Boerne, Texas today; just got home from a little better than a 500 mile day. I will soon be 64 and can easily put in a 600 mile day; even several consecutive 600 mile days. I have it set up with all the entertainment stuff too, CB, GPS w/MPG, FM radio and RD (no cassette; ha ha). One thing you must be prepared for and take time to adjust to, is the 145 HP really, really powerful but not R1 fast. Get the Concours; you'll love it but it won't be a comfy for the wife. Lastly, when I want to fall asleep while riding, I take out the 86 VR (my ole girl).

I write this with pause because I haven't ridden one.

So take that with a grain of salt...

I have however tried multitask bikes and have been very dissapointed to date.

Bought a DR400 Suzuki (enduro) and it was to heavy to climb or descend steep hills and was barely able to sustain 70mph.

I've had a 2007 midnight for over 3 years now and it's like driving a caddiliac?. drove to keywest in march +500 miles a day and didnt want to get off.

I also rode a 650 vstar to washington state and back +500 miles a day for 12 days... and will never do that again...

It's all about comfort and how the bike fits you, as well as protects you from wind buffeting and vibration. After a while, that is what will ultimately get to you...

EDIT

Some things to consider:

How far are your trips going to be (Miles per day)

Is the wife going (is she going to be comfortable)

0-300 mi. per day, any bike

+300 mi. per day, touring bike. IMHO

END EDIT

Edited by CaptainJoe

I had a 2004 BMW Rt. My problem was that I have a 28 inch inseam and after dropping it twice due to uneven ground I sold it. It will have All the bells and whistles you could ever want. Check into them, I would not be worried about a high miles bike as they are as well made as our Ventures. If I could really lower a BMW to meet my needs I would get another one.

Cb

I had a 06 Honda ST1300, was a really nice bike. For riding solo, pretty hard to beat. My wife did nort really care for riding on the back, she was spoiled by the Valkyrie Interstate that we had prior to the ST. Sport Touring bikes are way more fun to ride, the handling is so much nicer. I still have an older '81 Honda CBX for the days when I'm feeling frisky. That bike handles almost as well as my ST did. Ron:)

My friend has an 08 and I was thingking about getting one but after riding his, and his has 1 1/2 inch risers for the handlebars, it was still to much lean over the tank and too much pressure on my hands.

had an FJR 1300, put a Motorcycle Larry riser with set back as well. also added lowered driver foot peg took a lot of the forward lean out of the riding position. Made it an awsum fun riding bike, scary fast If you are planning to ride agressivly you might not want to go the lowered foot peg route. not sure about the concours but on the FJR you can use the lower seat position, which also allows for more upright seating but your legs end up bent more.

Al

I am wondering what kind of touring capabilitys a Concours would have.. At any rate,, anyone here ever spent anytime on anything even remotely comparable??

Scott

Scott, the first issue would be, what generation of Concours are you speaking of?

The first gen Councours was the 1000cc, and it was sold for about 20 years. There was a huge following of that bike, and the COG was very supportive of the owners.

The second gen Concours is the 1400cc bikes, and have only been out for a few years. They are good...too...but much more of a sportbike sitting position than the 1st gen Concours.

As was already said, ergonomics can almost always be changed. Raising the handlebars, lowering the footpegs, tuning the seat, etc, will make a world of difference.

As an example, I ride every bike I own like it is a CBR1100XX Blackbird. To do that, I have to make several alterations to make any bike fit me to perfection, so that I am comfortable enough to ride a minimum of 1000 miles a day, and sometimes push the envelope to over 2000 miles a day. Whether it is on one of my 1800 Wings, or my FJR13, or my RSTD, the ride is not as much what the stock bike will do...it is more of what the altered/improved bike will do with you riding it.

Personally, I am not into draping my body over the fuel tank of any bike, and resting the weight of my upper body on my wrists, as I try to carve canyons for a full day of only riding 150 miles. I would much rather sit up...more of what a GL1800 is designed to do, but even that bike has needs for ergonomic corrections, to suit the individual person.

# 1...what year and cc is the Concours?

# 2...buy a bike that you are convinced you are comfortable with, and (as we all say) ride it like you stole it.

I have more than a few miles on a 2010 C14 with multiple ergo mods. One of my riding buds has it, and we switched off quite a bit on a 1600 mile Smoky Mtn trip last summer.

The 2010 C14 is a different machine than the 08 - 09 in that Kawasaki took all the complaints that the owners had and addressed them in the 2010 model. It is wonderfully fast, ABS and Traction Control work beautifully, and it handles great for a sport tourer. He sold it at the end of last season and I would have bought it if I wasn't so cheap.

I did 3 solo trips to the Smoky Mtn - BRP areas last summer. One on the VR, one on the 2003 Bandit 12S, and one sharing the C14 and the Bandit. The Bandit is also a great sport tourer. I have made ergo mods to mine as well and can go 500 miles at a time with no issues whatsoever. I have a 34 inch inseam and 62 years old, so finding comfort is always an issue for me.

If the lovely Barbie elects to go to the mountains with me, I will ride the VR. Otherwise, the mountain trips will be on the Bandit.

I rode a Honda ST1100 before the Venture, and loved it. The ST is powerful and nimble in the twisties. I did several camping trips on it, both solo and two up.

The ST is certainly not as comfortable for the passenger as the Venture is, and the ST is a little more difficult for a passenger with stiff jpoints to get onto. With a back rest, however, she was still happy to ride on the back.

I would sometimes find myself taking too much weight on my arms, which could lead to some discomfort. However, I learned I could sit back a little, and take the weight off my arms. I thought about putting a riser on the handle-bars, but never did.

A sport tourer is definately a different riding experience from the Venture. The Venture is comfortable for long distances... luxurious. It is a matter of personal choice whether you want to drive a cadillac or a sports car. Each have their advantages. Ideally, you own both!

BTW, I sold the ST1100 to a friend, who has just been diagnosed with ALS. He needs to sell it CHEAP! PM me if you are interested!

• 1 month later...

I just sold my Honda ST1100.It was a great bike .Lots of power and fabulous on twisties. I did not like the seating position on it.I moved mine on to someone I know who is about to love it.Find something that you like and go for it,I went back to a Venture for its comfort and ease of riding.Also, I have less of a chance of losing my drivers license on it...!!! :cool10::cool10:

I've had a Honda sabre V65 ( a grand daddy of a sport touring bike. It even came with the optional fairing originally fitted to the Honda CBX) I love it with just a small sport fairing . I use soft luggage on long trips with it. Its a nice alternative to the venture which weights 150 lbs more.

Got an '86 Yamaha FJ1200. Yamaha's first purpose made sport tourer. Everything about the ride is completely different from the VR. Both are great bikes. The FJ has a more aggressive seating position and your riding style will conform to it - you WILL ride faster. More maneuverable and faster throttle response. I like them both because sometimes I want the comfort and sometimes I want speed.

One of the guys I worked with had one and he loved it but his wifed hated it and stopped riding with him until he traded it for a Gold Wing 1800

I rode his and it was nice ride around town but I dint like laying on the tank I wouldn't take it long trips either put to much pressure on my arms & wrist guess I'm spoiled to the Wing & Second Gen. ride

I still own my 1992 Concours. It has been my old faithful. When other bikes have died besdie it, it has never quit on me so I refuse to get rid of it. Almost 100K miles on it and it runs like it did when I got it with minimal maintenance. I added bar risers, highway pegs, Buell footpegs that lower the stock foot position, replaced the 2 stock coils with individual coils, added the 86 seat which is flatter, and several other things. I have ridden 1000 mile days with no problems at all. Got off and felt like I hadn't ridden any further than the grocery store 5 miles form the house. I did try the newer 1400 and was no where near as comfy. And the power of the 1000 is plenty enough to haul my fat butt around.

Great bike,

But, go ahead and spring for a set of Corbin seats, because the stock seat sucks pretty bad....especially for the passenger.

Rick

I am wondering what kind of touring capabilitys a Concours would have.. I KNOW the wife and I are wayy spoiled with the 1st Gen Yammer (I am wondering if my body is permanently molded to the good ol yam) BUT I have a chance to get on a Concours for a really swinging deal and am considering it..

At any rate,, anyone here ever spent anytime on anything even remotely comparable??

All yeas and neayss welcome!

thanks

Scott

• 1 year later...