Well after a great day with our VR family I called my mom to check on my grandfather. He was put in the hospital on new year's eve day with a urinary tract infection. The call I made was very short due to my mom telling me he had just died and she was waiting for the funeral home to call her back. This was a bit of a shock to say the least to me. I'm the only one that doesn't live near by. So luckily my brother & his wife were there along with my sister who works in the hospital. I'm very glad we made the trip up for Christmas because that will be my last memory of him. I was hoping to be able to bring my first grandchild up to see him, but it wasn't meant to be. My daughter is due on saturday.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have been able to grow up with my grandparents around. I spent a large part of my childhood with them and my grandmother's sisters. I also consider myself lucky that my daughter got to know her great-grandparents so well.

My grandfather was born in 1918 after the 1st world war, he was in the 2nd world war. My grandparents dated for 5 years before getting engaged. I know he missed my grandmother terribly after we lost her. He lived on his own for most of the time after we lost her and only recently moved in with my folks (7 months ago). I know he was 94, but I don't think I was really ready for him to be gone yet. With grandma it was a blessing since she had cancer and she didn't really suffer till right before the end. With his passing all those in that generation in my family are gone. My grandparents were always there for me as a child and as an adult. I'll miss them both, but I'll have all those memories to help with the loss. Of course this one will be a bit harder getting over. When we lost grandma we still had him, now they are both gone.

Margaret

So sorry to hear this Margaret. Not a good way to start the new year. Prayers sent from Jean and I. And praying for a great outcome for next Saturday as well.

MArgaret , We are sorry for your loss........as has already been said no words will make you feel better. HE was a vet so contact the local patriot guard riders and they will do all they can tohelp honor and support him and your family. Love and prayers sent to you and your family.

David

It always makes things different when we loose somebody. Sometimes a close friend and sometimes an acquaintance. Sometimes we loved a lot and then it can leave a deep hole, other times we only knew each other and then there is a bump in the road. Me thinks it better to love a lot, but it does leave us open to a bigger pain. So we will ask for comfort from the only Place that comfort really comes from, so that you can celebrate his life and go on to a future.

Hey Mini,

Both Jean and I are very sorry to hear of the passing of your Grandfather. I grew up not knowing my grandparents, it must have been very special to have them around in your life. As long as we hold their memory in our hearts, they are never really gone! Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this time of sadness, but I am sure that your Grandmother and Grandfather are reunited, and are smiling down on you right now. When I think of my own Mother and Father who have passed, I try every day to do something to make them proud of me, I am sure that the way that you and Jeff have opened up your home, and your hearts to the VR.ORG members this weekend has them smiling! :Laugh:

Jean and I wished we could have been there for the fun.

Earl and Jean