IGNORED

Miles per Day

Aimhigh

I just retired from full-time work and will leave San Antonio TX for Springfield IL...round trip of about 2500 miles. My question...how many miles can/should I REALISTICALLY plan on covering in a day? I've never taken a long trip on the RSV. I did ride from St. Louis to Wichita Falls TX back in 1977 on a Honda 450...but I was much younger then. I know many of you can ride a thousand miles in one day...I am 62 and I need to plan for what I really should try to cover. Thanks in advance for any input.

Jim T

Everyone is different. The bike doesn't care how far you travel in a day.

I took a longish trip today and the only trouble I had was my butt got sore due to a long time in one position.

I think a bead pad would help this. One of the things that help on long distance rides.

Guest Ken8143

For me, 400 miles in a day is enough! Unless I have a lot of ground to cover, and then it isn't much fun.

450 to 500 is a good days ride where you dont over do it and you feel fine the next day.

I just rode 13 hours wwstraight on Saturday, and yes I was beat.. The ride was OK, but the hot sun dried me out and baked me the whole day..

I should have broken it down to a two day ride..

So I guess what I am saying is..

If you pour it on the first day and ride till you cant ride no more...it will take you three days to get back where feel right.

Riding hard will ruin your trip because it will wear you out, and you wont enjoy it..

I did an 8,000 mile trip last summer in 6 weeks (1 week in Winfield, Ks) and the longest day was 740 miles, with only about 200 of that on interstate. That day started at about 4:30am and ended at 8:30 or 9pm. I was using a bead seat and it was not all that uncomfortable of a day.

My age? I hit the double nickel in January of this year.:confused24:

(Actually, I'm 18 with 37 years experience!) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

If your not use to long rides 400 miles will be a long day. If you push to hard the second day will be hell. The weather and your physical condition will have a lot to do with it. Take your time and enjoy the ride. I can tell you 1300 miles in 21 hours in 100 degree heat is no fun.

For someone who has not been on a motorcycle in some time I would say 400mi per day would be the max - before asking someone to help pry yourself off the motorcycle seat. Take your time and enjoy the ride and listen to your motorcycle as it runs down the hwy , one of the best sounds around is the road singing under your feet. Have fun and don't get in a hurry or you will not enjoy the ride at all. Take some monkeys butt powder or regular baby powder and use it on your legs and back side this will help on the butt burn.

Buddy

For me, 400 is a good day. In this heat, drink lots of fluids. The wind and heat will suck you dry in a hurry. Don't just drink water. Replace all those electrolytes and stuff that you sweat out. When you stop at night... keep drinking. Get yourself well hydrated to start the next day.

Oh... don't forget to have fun!

I just rode from Reno, NV to Vancouver, WA in one fell swoop, a distance of a little over 600 miles. I was pretty tired. If I could have trimmed off the last 150 miles, the ride would have been perfect. When I take long rides with my buddies (we range in age from 30's to 60's), we try and hit the road no later than 8 AM, and the goal is to be in a swimming pool / hot tub at the next hotel on our route by 4 pm. This usually makes for a 400 - 450 mile riding day.

In my opinion, ride until you start getting tired. You won't really know until you find out for yourself.

Hope this helps!

I agree with most of the comments. I know that many of us, myself included, have done 700-900 miles a day from time to time. Even over a thousand. It starts taking the fun out of it though. I would certainly try to keep it under 500 miles per day.

What this guys are missing is that you don't think about the miles, you ride until you'd like to stop. don't push yourself, at a set mile. ride, stop have lunch, ride somemore, stop for dinner,. no rush, relax and enjoy the ride.:080402gudl_prv:

In the saddle 29 years

Longest day I've ridden was 640 miles, round trip, not counting the miles spent riding around at my destination. It was a very long day, and my butt & back felt it. Used a bead seat, so there was no problems with monkey butt. I usually ride with an mp3 player and behind the ear headphones.

I've ridden 500 miles nonstop in a day. It's OK, but still a long day. Not much time to spend looking at things, eating, stopping, etc.

Lots of 400 miles days, usually broken up by work- several hours off the bike, with a 200 mile commute at each end of the day. This is pretty good, but at the end of the day, I fall asleep very quickly. Several days in a row of this will wear you out.

Drink a lot of liquid. The sun will not be your friend. Windy days will add to your fatigue. Plan for rain; it's easier to pack rain gear than stop & buy them. Interstates will get you there faster, but interstates with a lot of traffic (trucks) is stressful. Large cities suck if you hit them at rush hour, and it's always rush hour in some cities. Review your route ahead on the map at every stop; not all the highways are well marked when it comes to exits, ramps, and other directional signs. Know the next route number, the city it takes you to, and any alternate route numbers it may have- when you only have 10 seconds or so to see the sign, read it, and discover it doesn't have any of the information you need, knowing the alternate info can save you a 10 mile turnaround. Sometimes, a new bypass may give you directions to your next highway without going through a city.

When I'm riding 2 up, when me map it out we put our miles per hour at 55. I know that we will probably be riding at 70 to 75, but on the map, 55 will allow for the rest stops and gas and a short lunch. So, a 500 mile day puts us on the bike for 9 hours. Robin prefers a 400 mile day.

The milage part should be based on 50 MPH, even at 75, after 14- to 18 hours in the saddle, divide your time but milage, most of the time it comes out at 50 mph.

We did a ride from Ashville NC to Daytona Beach FL, took 5 of us 11 hours. divided by time. it still came out at 49.09 mph. but most of the day we were doing 75 mph

Milage was 540 ?

Okay, I'm done:stirthepot:

Here are some tips for long rides, every one feel free to add to the list.

Take regular breaks. We stop every 1-1 1/2 hours to rehydrate, stretch, change riding gear,fuel up, etc. If you feel tired,fatigued take a break.

Drink lots of fluids. The wind will dehydrate you no mater what the temperature, stay hydrated.

Enjoy the ride. A relaxing pace and good attitude will get you further down the road safer and more comfortable.

Make your plans flexible. If you hit bad weather or other problems be able to change your plans and adapt.

Dress in layers. Have clothes for changing weather conditions.

Carry some snacks for the breaks.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Rod (500 mi is an easy day for us.)

One more suggestion. If you feel tired, take a cat nap on some of rest stops, 15 min sleep can take you another 4 hours. Don't eat heavu food. Best is if you dont eat at all. Snacks ( Like power bars, Baby carrots, or fruits) are preferable. Drink fitnes drinks, and have couple of slices of lemon in zip lock. One drop of lemon can suck your tirenes. For Long rides, best way is to planing to leave at sunset, and ride over night. there is couple benefits, Beat trafic, and day heat. Have an hour sleep at day break, and keep going. By Noon you should be by your destination. Pack everything you need day before, and leave room for cooler bag.

Here is tip from IBA Archive of wisdom:

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

Good Luck

I just retired from full-time work and will leave San Antonio TX for Springfield IL...round trip of about 2500 miles. My question...how many miles can/should I REALISTICALLY plan on covering in a day? I've never taken a long trip on the RSV. I did ride from St. Louis to Wichita Falls TX back in 1977 on a Honda 450...but I was much younger then. I know many of you can ride a thousand miles in one day...I am 62 and I need to plan for what I really should try to cover. Thanks in advance for any input. Jim T

Jim, I hadn't taken any long rides in a lot of years too, but when I rode to FtCollins last year, over a two week period, I put on close to 4 600 mile days. The riding wasn't bad but the heat near did me in. 100-105 degs is hot. I was surprised that I could do that many miles and still stand, but I didn't have a problem. MOF I was kinda proud of myself.... Ride what you feel comfortable doing. Whether it's 300 or 700. You'll know when it's time to pull over and rest.

When I bought my '97 RSTD in Fresno, CA, I made it back to Montgomery, AL in 4 days, averaged 520 miles per day. My first long trip and on a Corbin seat, Wasn't too bad other than I had to raise myself off of the seat every so often for relief on the fantail.

• 11 years later...

At my age, 78, I try to run 350 to 400 miles per day. If I am really worn out I have no problem stopping sooner. In Mexico and the south west United States I find the weather, heat and humidity are a very big limiting factor.

Lets see :think:...on 1st Gen 500 a day no problem on a 2nd gen I would say maybe 499 :whistling:

Personally Miles never was a major issue for me, as some days it may be a boring stretch of road and I may ride more then other days. I may want to back off and enjoy the sites even stop and look at a few things and maybe end up doing as little as half the distance.

I guess 1st you need to decide if this is a ride to simply get to were you are going asap :bikersmilie: I would say 450 - 500 mi a day. If its a touring trip and just want to get some sort of an idea as to when you may reach your destination without any deadline in mind and intend to do some sight seeing along the way and simply enjoy the ride :biker:, I would probably figure on 300 to 400 a day.

I'm impressed by all of y'all. As a 6'1" 350 lb millennial (boo! hiss!) riding an RSTD with the stock seat I just did a 230 mile/day weekend and it almost kicked my butt (even with an airhawk). Hats off to my elders!:happy65:Maybe I'll get there one day. With the combination of hitting the gym and replacing the seat.

Sean

I'm impressed by all of y'all. As a 6'1" 350 lb millennial (boo! hiss!) riding an RSTD with the stock seat I just did a 230 mile/day weekend and it almost kicked my butt (even with an airhawk). Hats off to my elders!:happy65:Maybe I'll get there one day. With the combination of hitting the gym and replacing the seat.

Sean

Make it as comfortable as you can but just trying for miles isn't as fun as just enjoying the ride. I've done a few 800+ mile days and one 1100 miler just to say I've done a saddle sore run. When traveling with the wife it's usually not over 400 unless we have to be somewhere.