IGNORED

Be careful out there...

pope3567

Went on a 4 day ride Tuesday to pick up a few more Tour of Honor sites. Drove from Salem Oregon to Idaho, heading to Twin Falls off I84. About 10 p.m., 26 or so miles east of Mountain Home Idaho, I had the cruise control set to 80 (the speed limit) and was enjoying the warm night ride in very light traffic. Was coming up behind an 18 wheeler in the right lane, but still well behind him. A car was 100 or so yards behind me.

The 18 wheeler threw off a left rear tire (retread carcass) in a cloud of dust. I saw it tumbling toward me at the last second and tried to pull right to avoid it. It glanced off the left front fork of my bike and hit the left lower pretty much square on. The impact knocked me sideways but by the grace of God I was able to maintain control and keep the bike upright. Everything had gone dead, no power, no lights, no nuthin'. I coasted to the side of the freeway, shakin' but unhurt. It all happened in a blink of an eye.

The car behind me hit the tire carcass head on and he followed me to the side of the road. He lost the front bumper of his car in the impact. Just then, a triple trailer FedEx semi hit it and it severed his air lines. His trailer brakes locked and he came to a screeching stop behind us. Long story short, 4 cars and two 18 wheelers, and me hit the thing and ended up on the side of the road. A mini-van had its lower radiator hose cut.

My left lower was torn off, the engine guard was bent back somewhat, and all the electrical in the left lower was shredded. The cruise control unit was nearly ripped out. The main fuse had blown so I was dead in the water. Called a tow truck out of Mountain Home and had it taken back to the Yamaha dealer there. First thing Wednesday morning the service guy and me were able to bypass the cruise control, replace the main fuse and get her running. The front end seemed okay so I drove it home yesterday. Heading to my local Yamaha dealer today to start the repair.

Like I said, it all happened in the blink of an eye...one second I was enjoying the ride, next second fighting to stay upright and not go tumbling down the highway. Moral of the story...never let your guard down, always have an "out", and anticipate the unexpected. Sorry this was so long but am happy to be here relating the story to my Venture family.

20170808_230204.jpg20170809_081718.jpg

Wow! Glad you're ok!

"Moral of the story...never let your guard down, always have an "out", and anticipate the unexpected. Sorry this was so long but am happy to be here relating the story to my Venture family."

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Glad you kept it upright. Hopefuly the trucking co. insurance will pay for your damages and a new pair of skivvies. Did he even stop?

I pass trucks WOT regardless of on bike or in my car, just dont even like them in front of me for this exact reason. Very good to hear your ok and back in the saddle.

I still don't understand why Retread is even allowed, these retreads are scattered all about the roads everyday!! I have now heard of the consequences of it happening behind a truck. What I do when I am behind a truck tho if I don't like the sound of the tires I back off and wayyyyyy off. I will not pass semis when I hear that sound. It is a very distinct sound to, it may not be the sound of one getting ready to let loose, But I will not take that chance in anything I am driving or Riding... but I am gonna almost guess they probably don't make a sound until they have let loose.

So pleased you came out of it OK (more or less) in the UK I believe those retreads were banned years ago. I thought they were banned here in Canada too, but we still see the remnants by the roadside, so maybe I'm wrong (again!) unbelievable in this day & age that people's lives are put at risk so a trucking Co can save a few $$:mad:

Geesh! I've never been behind a truck when a retread came off but I certainly see them laying along main roads.

Here is another one to think about. On Sunday I was in my car driving at 70mph or so on a divided highway. A pickup truck pulling a camper merged onto the road a short distance ahead of me. On the back of the camper there was a rack holding several bicycles. As the camper moved into the road from the entrance ramp, it started bouncing a little. As it bounced, it became obvious that the bicycles were not tied down in any way and they started to fall off the rack right ahead of me! The first bike hit the road, bent the front wheel, and flew upward 10 or 15 feet into the air, with various bits and pieces going everywhere. I was turning as fast as I could into the left hand lane in an attempt to dodge the carnage. The next bicycle tipped downward and hit the roadway, bending the wheel but it didn't come completely off the rack.

Fortunately, we didn't hit any of the bikes or bike parts that were flying all around us. I was concentrating on getting out of harms way and accelerating up beside the pickup truck. As I got even with the truck, I started honking the horn and pointing back towards the trailer. The driver was completely unaware of the disaster happening right behind him! Fortunately, he pulled off to the side of the road to see what was going on. I have no idea what happened to cars following us who found an entire smashed bicycle laying in the road. Not good.

This incident made me even more wary of following other vehicles on my bike. I always try to avoid following large vehicles which prevent me from seeing the roadway ahead. Running into a tumbling bicycle with my car would have been messy but probably survivable. On my motorcycle, it would have been a catastrophe.

zag

So happy you survived with no injurys! I hope you have some help from the insurance co. on the repairs.

I ran over a retread with my Dodge Magnum and it cracked the rubber nose. Ended up costing me over $600 to repair the damage. I was lucky I suppose no radiator hoses or radiator was damaged. The Magnum does have a belly pan that may have helped.

Wow what a close call. So glad you came through alright even though your bike didn't. God speed with the bike repairs and thanks for relaying your story for us all. I hope you are riding again soon.

We still allow retreads on trucks in Australia too. See their carcass everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So glad to hear you are OK. Some scary crap out there. I try not to think about it when I am riding.

I can't help thinking that thank God that you were riding a bike with lowers. Don't even want to think what the repercussions would have been if you didn't have them.

Yep, about six months ago my Infiniti I35 was totaled when a guy in front of me slammed on his brakes because a pickup in front of him lost about a 10 foot fiberglass ladder that was not tied down. There was about 20 cars merging on to the interstate and it is normal for some brake lights as people are adjusting getting up to speed. But for someone to slam on their brakes and come to a complete stop was not expected. If I had just a few more feet, I would not have hit him. I was not given a ticket, but the pickup driver was ticketed for not securing his load.

Farm Bureau determined that my damage was too extensive and totaled it and then sold it back to me. I had full coverage insurance. I found another black Infiniti and bought everything I needed for $550. The headlights for these things cost $900 each at Rockauto. I was lucky that we all did not get run over by an 18 wheeler.

Randy

Thanks to all for your comments/concern. Was a nerve racking experience, to say the least. The photo doesn't do justice to the size of the tire carcass. I learned that night it was a "super tread", one of those big tires that replaces two tires on semi's. Anyway, a huge tire. And no, the truck that lost it didn’t stop.

So glad you were not hurt and I hope your bike was not to badly damaged though it at least can be fixed much easier than you can.

One little fact that might surprise most, those road gaters don't all come from recaps. many uncapped tires have been known to loose their tread due to driving under inflated tires, specially the cheaper brands. A good recap such as Bandag or michelin are actually very reliable but sadly there are many re-cappers out there that just don't cut it. And yes recaps are legal in Canada.

Glad you are okay! Sorry about your bike. Had a 18 wheeler blow a tire in front of me one time. Smoke and rubber shards everywhere... Scared the living daylight out of me. Truck pulled over, and I did also to see if there was any damage. Fortunately, nothing happened to me. Trucker called out to see if I was okay. Gave him the high sign. Dodged a bullet that day.

Glad your OK. Hope they don't total out your scoot. Different insurance companies have different limits I think. Around 60% cost of replacement and they write it off.

Probably been 5 years now. I was coming home from Daytona after speedweeks south on I 95. Around Coco area there was construction and had lanes down to 2. Well 2 big rigs were jamming up both lanes and had a bunch of us backed up 3 or so behind both. When there would almost be enough room to get between them this car hauler would speed up and close in gap. Jerk So once construction are was done cars spread out and then I heard that sound I was about 3 car lengths back and decided I'm gonna give myself a bit more and move over a lane. Then I heard a loud "swhoosh and pow" Recap and tire pieces going everywhere. I waved at the guy and gave him a salutation.