IGNORED

Driver backrest. Who's got one? What do you think of it?

Great White

I've never had a drivers backrest.

Just looking for some opinions on whether or not it's worth getting one.

What do you like about it? What don't you like? When do you need it and when do you not?

How does it change (improve or not improve) your comfort level?

That sort of thing.

:)

I put a back rest on my Gold wing, I think it made a world of difference on longer rides. I found myself slouching behind the windshield and then my neck and shoulders would tire. With the back rest it forces me to sit more upright and I find I do not slouch. Also seems to make things more comfortable with my feet on the pegs. In my mind they are a good investment

I have the Star accessory backrest borrowed from KIC on my 1st Gen and a Grasshopper on my 2nd Gen.

Agree with Pam's assessment. Helps a lot keeping your back straighter...eliminates most of the shoulder issues and gives you a place to rest, so to speak.

The Grasshopper is the least expensive and easiest to install on most bikes. The metal mount on top does bend which gives me some "room" to push on. I consider that a plus as I can easily customize the bend for my back.:biker:

I highly recommend backrests. You will like it...(as long as you can deal with the look of the bike after install).

I think it would be a good idea if you tend to get a sore back while riding. I never get a sore back on long multi-day trips as I have a sea-line duffel bag strapped to my seat behind me which doubles as a back rest. But on day trips were I have nothing my back tends to get a bit sore.

I have I think its a Utopia. It was on the bike when I bought it. But its nice. Can be adjusted some up and down, and a set screw type deal for pushing you forward if needed. I am a little shorter so I had to move the backrest forward to meet me. It certainly is nice. Only draw back is occasionally I get a foot hung up when getting off. Usually I am OK as long as the wife don't try to help me by repositioning the backrest. It will move up into the seat so its easier to get around, until she stands it up in the "ride" position then it just messes me all up.

Hey BJ

I have the Utopia and agree with what everyone else says. The other thing I like is, if you have been on a long haul with a couple hours in he saddle. You can push your lower back into the backrest and put your feet out on the pegs and lock your legs out straight and you can take the weight off your butt for awhile. You don't lift right off the seat, you can, but you just shift your weight. It's just enough to get your backside from carrying the load, so to speak, give it a rest from heavy contact with the seat. Find this really helps with the numb bum and can extended your comfort for a longer time in the saddle. Just another way to shift around and change things up to be comfortable, longer.

The 1st thing I made sure I pulled off my 2005 to put on the 2013 was the backrest. Now that I've had one, I won't ride without it.

I have one on my 89. I like it a lot. Makes it a little harder to mount and dismount but I have developed a technique to get my leg over the seat. ( I am 6'1'')

My wife has stated to complain that it is harder for her to get on with it on and that for long rides it is uncomfortable for her since her inner knee area gets pressed up again the brackets and her legs are too spread for comfort instead of up against the side of the seat. I know the 83-85's are a different configuration than the 86 on. Luckily mine is an easy on/easy off.

DSC00284.JPG

I only do 4-6 hours at a time and that's infrequent.

But it sounds like a backrest is pretty much universally supported by the riders here.

I may start looking for a bracket to make a removable one something similar to what Dingy has on his.

I've got a spare seat to hack on. All I would need to do is buy/build a removable bracket mount under the seat and then re-upholster the seat itself to allow for a pass through. Then it's just build a backrest to suit my needs.

Maybe put a little grab bar on the back of it as my missus is so light she tends to catch a couple inches of air on even the smallest bumps/dips no matter how easy we hit them.

The venture line backrest is not intended for use with a passenger, because of the Knee/inner thigh issues. When I was looking for a rest I was about to pull the trigger on a HD rest and bracket and then fab up a bracket to mount it. but then my Ventureline one became available. To my knowledge, there has never been any person on the back seat of my Venture, so the Ventureline was fine

Have to agree with all that's been said so far. I have a fixed backrest on my '06 RSV and would not ride without it these days. Don't know wot breed it is, bought new off e-bay and set up by me for my 6' 2" height. The rest itself has a bit of "spring" in it which gives a little when you push back. The support it gives my lower back is excellent.

Only negatives are that you cant 'throw your leg over" the saddle you have to step across the bike and same thing goes for passenger getting on/off. Possible a fold down would work better for some. It doesn't detract from the bike's appearance.