IGNORED

How Fast is too Fast?

Chaharly

Hey guys, while I was riding out west I noticed most of the roads were 70mph and the interstates were 80. My rule of thumb that I followed was to do an indicated 70mph (closer to 65) on the interstates and an indicated 65 on the highways that were 70.

It was the first first trip I took with this 88 and took it all the way to Ft. Bragg california through highway 50. I didn't go through the real desert it was still, in my opinion a desert and a hundred degrees so I didn't want to work the bike too hard.

I think running it at 75 seems to be running it a bit hard. Mileage drops, the engine is over half way to the red line at 4000rpms. The temp gauge goes up noticeably in the heat, but never too hot

. So I guess my question is what do you guys run your bikes at. I believe this question applies to first and second generations.

I typically run 5 over per the GPS.

Yes the aerodynamics will cause a significant decrease in gas mileage as your speed rises. That does not mean that you are abusing the engine.

I almost never cruise at under 4,000 RPM. These engines do not start to make good power till 4,000. I will not run 5th gear if my speed is under 60-65. If you are doing an indicated 65, then you are close to an actual 60, this is just barely fast enough to be out of 4th and into 5th gear. At those speeds you might actually get better gas mileage in 4th gear.

On the technical side.

Extreme heat and or altitude will make the air less dense, this will require a more open throttle to get the same power. Because the air is less dense you would normally need to lean the fuel mixture, since this is not practical while on the road you end up running a little rich. This will cause a drop in mileage.

A simple test

While cruising at your desired speed, hold the throttle steady as if you had a throttle lock, Shift one gear up or down without moving the throttle. If you shift down and the bike speeds up, or if you shift up and the bike slows down, you were running the engine to slow and wasting gas, stay in the lower gear for those conditions. things that can change the correct gear to be in for a given speed are wind speed and direction, terrain are you going up hill or down hill, load on bike, aerodynamics of load on bike. There are times that for a given speed but with other factors like wind, if you have a head wind you may need a lower gear for the same speed than if you have a tailwind on the same road at the same speed.

There is no one right answer to cover every variable.

Heyyy,, Hi Cha!!

If you were to ask Tip the question you asked here, she would probably tell you that I have a little bit of a heavy hand on the throttle - especially in those wide open desert regions that you, Tweeks, Tip and I LOVE so much!!

Back when Tweeks had a working speedo we were cutting along out in the open desert, Tip tapped me on the shoulder and said that touring at high speeds made her a little nervous. We had a really good discussion while camping that night out on the desert about it all. I asked her what her "comfortable" speed was while touring out in those wide open spaces. I was surprised to hear her say that she was good with 100.. From that day until Tweeks decided she didnt need her speedo anymore I tried my best to stay at 100 or under out in those places where its wide open and endless.. Since her speedo went south I usually hang around 5200 r's for long distance open country touring - right where Tweeks is just starting to really beg for more.. Keep in mind that we are talking about OPEN country touring - LOTS of high temps (like you experienced). None of my 1st Gens ever seemed to mind the higher all day speeds in high temps - just always sat back, let er buck and watched the scenery go by. Also amazing how easy it is to get above 1000 miles a day riding sun up to sun down doing so, plus its amazing how much country you can see out there.. Problem with all that is that one does get used to floating along at those speeds and, ahhh,, when I get into any kind of traffic after a week or so of that it takes some doings to refocus my attention to speed,, different story of course..

For ick-spressway riding I choose to ride just a little faster than the traffic as it gives me the feeling of being in control. I am FAR from one who tailgates or battle others for position in bottlenecks or what ever. Instead I "sandbag" until the traffic clears and then I resume my "control" ride style. I know I present a very unpopular perspective on all this BUT, as a result of my unpopular perspective you can be rest assured that I know from experience what these 1st Gens are capable of as far as handling extreme desert temps at higher R's for long periods of time..

Onto another subject,, in another thread I think I recall you asking if anyone else has ever ridden "The Loneliest Highway In America" (50)? Just wanted you to know that indeed, Tip - Tweeks and I LOVE that road and have ridden both directions from I80 to I70 = Fernley NV to Salina Utah.. We can attest to its loneliness but we have done our part to keep it from being so lonely.. I actually wrote some about our experiences on 50 in a ride report (with pics of course) in 2013, found here http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?80470-on-the-road-again&highlight=salina+utah

THANK YOU CHA for letting telling of that experience you had and for also doing your part in helping Highway 50 not feel so bad!! :thumbsup: If we ever get a chance to meet IRL - Tweeks would greatly appreciate your signature on her "50 sticker" (see pic) and let me shake your hand brother. Sounds like you had an AWESOME time out there CTFWing - congrats bro!!

Puc

DSCN0789.JPG

I am only a passenger. But I do notice that when a Harley is in the vicinity of our bike, all of a sudden our bike seems to increase in speed. I do not know if Ron (my first husband) will admit to it, but to me it is obvious. Our bike might be a 99 but it still can purr when it needs too.

Yama Mamauser372_pic390_1217001012.jpg

:think:...hmm... don't know... ain't been there, yet!

I do not like like other travelers coming up on me from behind. Therefore, I typically am moving along a few mph faster than the traffic flow. I prefer the left lane for a number of reasons, but I do pay attention to my six and move when someone is approaching.

I never really thought about it, but I don't get passed by too, many 'cycles. And almost never does a Harley come up on me from behind. Occasionally, a Wing will show up there. And sometimes an FJR type... but almost NEVER an HD. I do get to see a bunch of left sides, though. And some of 'em are awfully pretty! Lots of chrome! Great paint!

Edited by yamagrl

Wow Puc! Cruising at 100 in across the hot desert! No wonder that Metzler 880 started chunking rubber!

Me thinks that Tweek had a kilometer....:whistling: Hdhtr and I ran a stretch of Hwy 395, on our 1stGens, back to Susanville doing triple digits up to 115mph for about 30-40 miles. But that was back when we were immortal. Most of the time the tach reads 4200 +/- when slabbing it. On the 2ndGens I don't know what the tach reads 'cause there ain't one, but ride slightly faster than the flow....

On my 1984, from South Dakota to Nevada, I averaged about 85 mph. I think I was tripple digit in the Colorado mountains, but I could not look down at the speedo; I was way too busy looking for the next curve and grinning from ear to ear.

Like others have said, these girls like to rev high and ride fast. Adjust it so you are comfortable on it, and get some good tires, then go play and see what your particular bike likes to do best. Both of mine love mountains and fresh air.

Wow Puc! Cruising at 100 in across the hot desert! No wonder that Metzler 880 started chunking rubber!

I would tend to agree with that Blue EXCEPT I have never experienced that with any other brand of tire under the same conditions.. I can also clearly state that I do keep very good track of the psi in my tires no matter what I am running and that Metz was no exception.. Indeed, I do go thru my share of tires when touring and I am sure part of that has to do with some higher speeds I run, tarmac temps in the desert regions, road surface conditions, packing Tweeks down like a mule and all that BUT,, that Metz 880 got treated equal and fairly and it failed miserably..

For ick-spressway riding I choose to ride just a little faster than the traffic as it gives me the feeling of being in control.

I couldn't agree more with this philosophy, buddy!

I ALWAYS like to be the fastest guy out there... with the theory being that you THEN only have to worry about traffic coming at you from ONE direction...The FRONT!

I bought my 2008 RSV (first touring bike) last month and have ridden close to 3500 miles already. Temps anywhere from 60 to 108 and this bike has performed flawlessly. It is ultra-comfortable and purrs like a kitten at all speeds. I did notice a slight shimmy at 90 so 85 is my cap until I can get the wheels balanced. 75 has been my sweet spot so far even though I do enjoy the occasional 60-65 to relax and enjoy the scenery. As far as gas mileage goes it is a motorcycle, the only thing I care about is running out of gas on long desolate roads not the MPG :). Considering my RAM truck gets 13 MPG. Luckily the wife loves the bike as much as I do so I foresee a lot of road trips in our future.

Sounds like you enjoyed your trip Rags:banana:

One of the best riding trips I've taken :happy34: Excellent road quality and the scenery can't be beat. I absolutely loved Glacier national park , Going to the sun road is an awesome experience everyone must do at least once. 270* decreasing radius switchback turns were a blast to ride and new eye popping scenery around every curve :big-grin-emoticon: .

Lolo pass/ Hell's Canyon is a fun road to ride, 140 miles of sweeping curves that follow the clearwater river basin. I had an ear to ear grin the whole way :dancefool:

As soon as I get all the pictures and video sorted out I'll start a thread on our trip.

One of the best riding trips I've taken :happy34: Excellent road quality and the scenery can't be beat. I absolutely loved Glacier national park , Going to the sun road is an awesome experience everyone must do at least once. 270* decreasing radius switchback turns were a blast to ride and new eye popping scenery around every curve :big-grin-emoticon: .

Lolo pass/ Hell's Canyon is a fun road to ride, 140 miles of sweeping curves that follow the clearwater river basin. I had an ear to ear grin the whole way :dancefool:

As soon as I get all the pictures and video sorted out I'll start a thread on our trip.

Must be something wrong wit my puter cause I been staring at this screen for 2 hours and still dont see no thread Raggy:think:

Patience is not a virtue that I inherited :hihi:

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE HAVING A BALL MY BROTHER!! GOOD ON YA!!:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: