IGNORED

47k Catastrophic Engine Failure

bknsaddle

2006 RSTD with 47k miles

On Saturday at 4 PM, I was doing 70 on the Interstate when I heard and/or felt (don't remember actually) a loud noise. Instinctively, I grabbed a handful of clutch and coasted the bike to the shoulder. As traffic whizzed by, a quick inspection revealed oil leaking to the ground. I managed to get a flatbed to pick me up and get me to the dealer just as they were closing, so we had no time to investigate. The shop was closed until yesterday.

Today I learned that the engine case had been penetrated from the inside by what appeared to be the counter-balancer or one of it weights. Not good. I went over there to see it and sure enough there was an internal part poking out of the broken engine case. Dealer and regional service folks say they have never seen this, and have no idea of the why/how.

Anyone ever hear of this kind of thing?

Mechanic is suggesting install of a used motor rather than the expense of trying to rebuild this one. It seems the engine case alone cost $2200, and there is certainly more damage inside.

Where to source a used/rebuilt motor?

Pretty bummed out at the moment.....

Wow,, thats strange Bkn,, aint never heard of it on one of our V-4's,, wonder if it got starved for oil and seized the balancer,, strange.. Sorry to hear that happened to you!!

There are lots of motorcycle yards around and it seems like because wrecks usually involve twisted front ends and frames, a good motor should be doable. Have you searched ebay and craigs? Adhuntr.com is what I use for searching all of craigs, may be worth a shot.. To bad an 87 1300 wont fit it, I got a really good runner I aint gonna be able to use..

Bummed right along with ya my friend,, that is a bummer!! Best wishes on getting her back on her feet again!

Puc

Well that one is new to me !

To aquire a used motor you could contact Pinwall Cycles. They usually have them in stock.

If you on the other hand have time and you feel like turning a wrench I would look into buying a damaged insurance bike with cosmetic damages. Tear the motor out and what else you need and sell the rest. You could even have the shop tear the motor out to since it is not time consuming and pretty basic. My guess is that you would pretty much cover all your expenses even though it will require a little work and some patience while selling all the other parts.

Just my ten cents worth and the way I would go myself.

Edited by StarFan
Adding info

Thanks StarFan and cowpuc

Mechanic said it still had plenty of oil in it. The only leakage was above the case break.

I don't really have the facility, tools, and even the energy to do the work myself, so I'll have to let the bike shop do it. I'm just not sure how confident I'm going to be using an engine of unknown past.......

Well I would not worry about getting a Yamaha Royal Star engine with unknown past. Like both me and Cowpuc said this is practically unheard of. My view is that as long as you get a motor that has less than 50.000 miles on it then I would not worry about a thing. And even with more miles on it I would not worry. But of cause try to find one with low miles and I am sure you will be fine.

Only the second Royal Star motor I have heard of that self destructed, Yamaha was so amazed at the first one they footed the bill to replace the motor.

That was probably 8 or 9 years ago.

I also would not be concerned about a used motor, Pinwall is pretty good about documenting the bikes before they strip them down, usually do a video showing that it was running before the tear down.

In retrospect, I realize that this situation could have had a much more serious outcome. Instinct was the predominant response. I'm an old soldier who learned long ago that reaction in an ambush had to be instinctive to be effective. Samo - samo for riding. Practice, practice, practice....

De Oppresso Liber

Couple years back another member had a rod bearing go out while on a trip. don't remember who. That was the only other major failure I know of. as others have mentioned, Pinwall is a good place to look for a motor.

Nice fix !! Tell us how it came together ? And if i can buy the scraps ??

I found a brand new engine! ....

It just happened to be sitting in a new 2013 RSV with 32 miles on it. It lives at my place now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99266[/ATTACH]

My thanks to all who offered advice and/or provided assistance.

Steve

After several days of searching for an engine, I had the lingering feeling that I was going to regret this approach. Nevertheless, I walked into the dealer thinking I was going to coordinate with him, and then I would pull the trigger on one from Pinwall. Well, I think the dealer was having second thoughts about the used engine approach also (as he would be doing the install), and we all know there would be a myriad of other headaches crop up. I was offered a trade-in deal that could not be refused.

My angst about a used engine went away, he did not have to tie a tech up with the project, he moved a 2013, and I have a grin from ear to ear!

Buenos in all quadrants!

I have been riding it this weekend as I need to get the 600 mile service done before I leave on a trip. 240 more miles to go, so I guess I'll use it for every errand this week! After a couple of years absence due to health and deaths in the family, next week I'll link up with Run For The Wall in Tennessee. I first did the Run in 2005, and I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

My wife's eyebrows went up when I showed her the cassette player! It did, however, also come with an ipod hook-up and an ipod.

:cool10: