IGNORED

47k Catastrophic Engine Failure

bknsaddle

I found a brand new engine! ....

It just happened to be sitting in a new 2013 RSV with 32 miles on it. It lives at my place now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99266[/ATTACH]

My thanks to all who offered advice and/or provided assistance.

Steve

WOW ZZZZZZ WOW WOW WOW :178::178::178::guitarist 2::guitarist 2:, NOW THATS WHAT I CALL A REPAIR JOB!!:thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon:

CONGRATS STEVE!! :thumbsup:

ENJOY YOUR NEW RIDE AND ALL THE BEST WITH GETTING BACK TO IT!!!

First off, I am glad to hear you are ok and that no accident occurred causing you (or anyone else) harm.

Second, As I was reading every post in this thread I was getting ready to post my own thoughts of not getting a used motor and asking if the dealer could come up with a swap/trade deal even if he had to contact other Yamaha dealers to see what they had on the floor. I see now you already did a swap and your new ride looks really nice. I think you will like it more than you did your white RSTD by far, (especially if/when riding in the rain).

Again, glad you are OK bkn..:happy34:

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I just took a trip (Run for the Wall) and put 2k miles on the bike after having the initial 600 mile service done. The bike (unnamed as yet) ran smooth and plenty strong for my style of riding. The stock seat was comfortable and soft. Mileage seemed to vary between 40-45 mpg depending on speed, terrain, etc. I noted the following that I will now begin to address:

1. I had the rear end lowered to accommodate my inseam. We used the Barrons kit that was on my RSTD. This worked, but I need to get the front lowered so the bike is as least level to improve handling and resolve #2. I want to slide the fork tubes up to see how this impacts things.
  2. The lowered rear end also limited my access to fuel in the tank. When the odo switches and begins to count miles from zero, I have to switch to reserve within 5 miles or so, before it starts to stumble from lack of fuel.
  3. I had the same reach problem as with the RSTD. My arms are just too short. I tried hanging from a pull-up bar for a while but it did not help. I guess I'll have to explore the pullback riser or Flanders handlebar approach. Or maybe get the pillow top backrest from Utopia and see if it positions me more forward & upright. I have the utopia bracket, so I'll see if they will sell me just the cushion.
  4. The 4-way hazard flashers do not work unless the ignition switch is ON. Seems odd to me, and I needed them when helping a fellow rider on the side of the interstate. I was not going to leave the bike with ignition ON or running. Is there a fix for this?
  5. I have never ridden with a windshield this tall. I found it problematic looking through a wet helmet face-shield and a wet windshield during the hours of rain we went through. In the past, I have always been able to look just over the top of the windshield. Not sure if I just need to get used to this or I change it. I will spend some more time behind the tall windshield before I take any action. Can Rain X be used on Yammy windshields as on Clearview shields?
  6. Lighting: Definitely need additional lighting front and rear for people to see ME. Exploring rear lightbar and LED turn signals all around. Has anyone used or seen the custom dynamics Ringz front running/turn signals? opinions?

Considering that I was dead-in-the-water shortly before this scheduled trip, I was well pleased with the RSV, and I'm confident that once I get my fitment correct all will be well for lots of traveling.

Cheers to all....Steve

OUTSTANDING STEVE - GOOD REPORT!! :clap2::clap2::clap2::thumbsup2:

From past experience running these V-4's (well,, ok,, all bikes) I have found it best to name em real soon after taking ownership.. You always wanna stay on their best side!!:thumbsup:

If you need help you could start a poll like some :stirthepot:er did when Dan bought Freebirds bike.. That was really fun!!

Thanks Eck. Are you home from your trip?

If so, let me know if you want to meet for lunch one day this week.

Hey Steve

I don't think I will be doing any riding this week due to all the rain in the forecast for the next 8 days.. Been working around the house some but maybe next week we can come up with a nice day to go to lunch some place.