IGNORED

A little more medical update,, really neat stuff!

cowpuc

Some of you have been following this medical stuff I have been going thru since last summer, giving thought and prayers (I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL OF YOU).. To say the least, this has been frustrating!! After spending months very very tired, sleeping 18 hours a day and even when awake just plain being weak. An example of the weakness, my eyes were never open more then a slit during all that time (I tried to explain that to my Cardiologist and his response was "when we age our eyes sag - you can surgery done that will correct that :bang head:)..

Anyway, this last episode where I spent my birthday in the hospital turned up something interesting.. Over the course of my vacation there, they injected me with a group of drugs, some to bring down BP, some for racing heart and on and on.. That was on Saturday, Sunday I woke up and "felt" better.. I actually got up and vacuumed floors and went for walk, had BD party and was up ALL day!!

I was ordered by the ER doc to get right back to my doc asap as he was concerned with stroke, heart and other stuff (same old same old).. I have always said that on a scale of 100 percent of how I normally feel, I have been at 5 percent - something the doc had injected me with had got me to 20 percent.. Being a gearhead, it dawned on me that my body responded to the non narcotic drugs (the er doc told me they were all non narcotic) in a positive way so when I went to my family doc on Tuesday, I took the list of drugs they had injected me with to my doctor.. After the usual examination and being told I am one of her favorite customers, I told my doc what had happened and showed her the list.. Her eyes lit, she looked at the list, did a little :scratchchin: and said I think it was the stuff (she named it - I couldnt pronounce it) that added adrenalin.. She asked if I wanna to try an experiment,, well,, yeaaaaaaaa:doh:... She put me on 2 weeks of Prednizone - told me I cant live on the stuff but it may help in figuring this all out.. Tell you guys what,, since that happened I have been outside playing with good friends (like my visit with T.J.) got a few things done AND Tweeks and I even did the Muskegon Motorcycle CLubs Spring Run yesterday (different thread coming up) - IT FELT SOOOOO GOOD TO BE OUTSIDE!!!

I am now feeling at 50 percent (AMAZING) and VERY excited about this. Talking to my daughter who is a Pathologist, I understand that there are many many things that could appear on the horizon as far as causation for what ever this 5mg of Prednizone is helping with BUT still,, I feel like a miracle has happen - even if it was by accident (or answer to your thoughts/prayers) it SOMETHING!!

By the way,, I noticed on the way home from looking at a 1974 Kaw Z1 yesterday that my eyes were no longer slits, now I have to force them to be slits instead of the other way around!!! :thumbsup:

Good for you puc, maybe they are onto something. The Prednisone, which is a steroid, bumps up you immune system too. Glad you're feeling better. My wife is headed for surgery the 26th of this month. She has been having gradually increasing pain in her low back/legs for about the last year. She's gone thru epidural injections to help it but they are only temporary. The surgeon that did her fusion in '09 did a BUNCH of tests and determined that the titanium rods/screws are rubbing nerves and causing the pain. He's going to go in and take them out, so hopefully that'll get her back on the mend. It just plain sucks when you have to deal with anything medical-related.

I'm glad to hear that you are having some improvement, but those drugs? Nice that your doc intervened and took charge of all of them. side effects and more side effects, Jeez!:doh:

I hope it all gets narrowed down for you soon, but I'm really glad to hear your out and about, and even have your eyes open. :happy34::banana:

Yup prednesone will get ya feelin better... just don't over do it...you think you are Superman but you aint.

Keep the good news coming.

oh I dunno about that Kevin ... I always figured Puc to be a super man .... :big-grin-emoticon:

Glad to hear you are at least feeling better.

I go back to my doc tomorrow. I can really understand what you are going through with not having any clue what is coming next.

In a way it like driving at night, in a dense fog, on a curvy mountain road, at high speed, you just have no clue what is coming to get you.

Hear is hoping that your fog is finally lifting so you can enjoy the coming twisties, and great scenery, and thrills of life.

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Prednisolone is like a miracle drug. They prescribe it for lots of stuff. But...if you take it for too long, it will lower your immune system. That's why it's usually in a 7 day dose pak.

Awesome!!! Must some sort of auto-immune disorder if prednisone helps. And it sounds like you know... that can't be a permanent fix. My dad had severe early onset RA. Back in the early 70's.. steroids were thought to be the 'miracle' cure for RA. Well... long story short.. the prednisone is what killed him... not RA.

This might be the big AH-HA clue they need to help get you right. Well as right as they can... ;)

Prayers!

Awesome!!! Must some sort of auto-immune disorder if prednisone helps. And it sounds like you know... that can't be a permanent fix. My dad had severe early onset RA. Back in the early 70's.. steroids were thought to be the 'miracle' cure for RA. Well... long story short.. the prednisone is what killed him... not RA.

This might be the big AH-HA clue they need to help get you right. Well as right as they can... ;)

Prayers!

Yep, for sure Gary, the way we understood it this is suppose to be just a couple week test than off the stuff - so I am sucking the daily lights out of every single day like the days have been sucking the daylights out of me for the last 9 months - PAYBACKS ARE A BUMMER :big-grin-emoticon:

I go back to the Cardiologist the day before my family Doc (who prescribed the Pred) and cant wait to hear what he has to say about it.. Someone has to know something.. Out of ALL testing, the only abnormality (besides weak signal to the bottom of my heart) that the ER Room found was a "trace" of blood in my urine.. My family doctor wasnt really concerned with that and it could have been caused by many things BUT,, if someone dont find something now that I am feeling a little more fistey I think I might DEMAND a really close look at my kidneys/adrenal gland/bladder and all that.. Its kind of fun having a daughter who is involved in the medical field - she was telling me about the adrenal gland being located on top of the kidneys and there could be a connection between adrenal problems and kidney problems (tumor or whatever).. Sometimes a mans gotta get tough with these doctors and tell where to check and what to look for in order to find out anything - takes energy though.. Frustrating.....

You are right though,, :fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo this is the BIG AH HA and now they can correct me and make me right - that just sounds wrong dont it:big-grin-emoticon:

Thanks again everyone for the thoughts, prayers, concerns and love.. They get me allllllll better and Tip, Tweeks and I will come visit each of you and then post your pictures on youtube - promise:big-grin-emoticon::witch_brew:

Puc, take vitamin D. You Snow Hermits don't get enough sunshine and you need it. It will boost your energy. I was listening to 2 real doctors on a news show and they were talking about Vitamin D. One of them said he was taking 1,000mg/day. Said it boosted energy and your hormones. So, I stared taking it and I don't know for sure if it was the vitamin D or the warmer weather but I've been feeling so much more energetic since then. Won't hurt to try! I'm a believer!

well looks like some one is giving you good advice. (the daughter)

keep on the doctors if something works tell them. if something don't bi##h up a storm.

looks like they got you going a little better.

just like an old dirt bike might take more then one kick to get you up and running?. the heart might just be a little low on compression

might need a valve job? I pray you don't. shaving the face made you look shinny and new LOL.

them meds might be like a new spark plug got you fired up some.

the ride on that Honda gave you some fuel to get out and give tweeks a run just to show you she still cares LOL

any way this is some good news many more prayers offered up for you.

Scott,

My prayers are still with you. Remember, trust the Lord first. He gave us life and is in total control of our lives. Yes, He can work through the doctors, etc. But, no one has control of our breath and our heartbeat besides Him. He wishes for us to look to Him and trust Him totally. This glorifies Him greatly. There is no such thing as "God helps those who help themselves." The truth is "God helps those who cannot help themselves", if they turn to Him. Grace is a beautiful thing!

Chaplain Dusty:sign yeah that::backinmyday::biker:

Puc,

Prednisone is a steroid that is very similar to the steroids manufactured by the adrenal glands on top of your kidneys. Long-term term use of any steroid will down-regulate your adrenal glands natural production of steroids in your body. Also it will not boost your immune system, it will make you more susceptible to any type of infection, both exogenous and endogenous. Steroids, prednisone included, are very good at reducing inflammation in any area of the body. As your primary alluded to steroids are best administered for short term use and long-term use may lead to other complications that you really don't need. Steroids are also released within your body when it is stressed and as such they do also tend to perk you up. When a pt that has hypofunction of the adrenal glands has to undergo the stress of a surgery he is given exogenous injectable steriods IV before the surgery to help his body better withstand the stress imposed upon him by the surgery. Steroids can have a very positive effect on one's body but as another stated, they are no magic bullet and they can also engender serious complications with overuse. In regard to other diagnostics, I would assume that your providers have run batteries of labs on you that would most certainly give them indications of inflammation being present within you if it is. It may be that a positive response to the steroid could lead them to further investigate issues that cause inflammation.... and these could be a myriad of things. I am glad that you are feeling better and I hope that you continue to improve. I also hope that they can get a handle on what it is that is causing your troubles. I am sure that it is frustrating you to no end. I do enjoy reading your rambling musings.... .. er I mean the wonderful and wise bits of wit and wisdom that you frequently use to grace and empower us with. Best of luck to you Puc;)

Larry L

Puc,

Prednisone is a steroid that is very similar to the steroids manufactured by the adrenal glands on top of your kidneys. Long-term term use of any steroid will down-regulate your adrenal glands natural production of steroids in your body. Also it will not boost your immune system, it will make you more susceptible to any type of infection, both exogenous and endogenous. Steroids, prednisone included, are very good at reducing inflammation in any area of the body. As your primary alluded to steroids are best administered for short term use and long-term use may lead to other complications that you really don't need. Steroids are also released within your body when it is stressed and as such they do also tend to perk you up. When a pt that has hypofunction of the adrenal glands has to undergo the stress of a surgery he is given exogenous injectable steriods IV before the surgery to help his body better withstand the stress imposed upon him by the surgery. Steroids can have a very positive effect on one's body but as another stated, they are no magic bullet and they can also engender serious complications with overuse. In regard to other diagnostics, I would assume that your providers have run batteries of labs on you that would most certainly give them indications of inflammation being present within you if it is. It may be that a positive response to the steroid could lead them to further investigate issues that cause inflammation.... and these could be a myriad of things. I am glad that you are feeling better and I hope that you continue to improve. I also hope that they can get a handle on what it is that is causing your troubles. I am sure that it is frustrating you to no end. I do enjoy reading your rambling musings.... .. er I mean the wonderful and wise bits of wit and wisdom that you frequently use to grace and empower us with. Best of luck to you Puc;)

Larry L

Hi Ten

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to write, it is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the kind words about my ramblings too, glad you have found some sort of enjoyment out of following the nonsense..

Indeed, this medical stuff is majorly frustrating. Its the figuring out whats wrong and it taking so long that is mind boggling. This Prednizone is actually the first glimmer of any kind of positive "feeling" hope I have had in a very long time.

I lived a very high strung life of high speed dirtbike racing, shooting deer from tree tops on 2x4' platforms, raising high strung kids and working hard = LOTS of adrenalin. My wife asked my family doctor a few months ago about "adrenal fatigue". Had the tests done = normal range. Now I am wondering if it is possible that if a normal range = 1 thru 10 and my body was used to being a 10 and is now functioning at 2 (lets say) would this put me outside of normal for me.. Probably sounds crazy but just thinking outloud..

Another point that I am gonna ask about when I go back to my Primary (gotta see Cardio first - no idea how any this affects the heart - I have "sic sinus", maybe related?) I am going to inquire about an actual x-ray/sonagram of my kidney/adrenal gland area to have a look see.. We have Kidney Tumor/Cancer in our family - wondering if a tumor could put pressure on the adrenal gland and cause a shortage..

At any rate, I really THANK YOU for your clear, precise info Ten and TOTALLY understand if you have to be tight lipped about saying anything more.. Hippo's and all that..

I hope you have time to get out and enjoy that gorgeous Midnight TD of yours this year, would LOVE to see you on the road sometime!!

Also, I dont have the luxury of Semper Fi'ing you back but I thank you for your service to our great cause!!

Puc