IGNORED

Lookin' for opinions on a camera

uncledj

The wife keeps asking me what I want for Christmas, and I was thinking of telling her to get me a Go pro or the like for the bike. More often than not, I don't wear a helmet, so I'd like one that mounts to the bike, but I'm not sure how that'd work.

I've a '06 RSV.

I'd appreciate any input on cameras and mounting options, so I can just send her a link to exactly what I'd like Santa to bring down the chimney.

Thanks a bunch. :dancefool:

Hi: Awfully tough to suggest anything without a budget, so we'll stick to what we just acquired, a slightly higher end Nikon S9700 'Point and Shoot' pocket camera. ( http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2457086,00.asp ). Price is $300-$400 depending where you buy. We paid $300 in Canada two months ago at Future Shop during a launch promotion, however most prices are higher up here.

Until now we used Canons in this size range, but in our opinion the new Nikon blows away most with the S9700. We are definitely seeing better quality pictures with the Nikkor lens. Interestingly, although blessed with a 30x zoom, the little Nikon is only 2/3rds the size of the former Canon models we had, and actually does fit in a pocket. We are VERY impressed with the Nikon, and by habit we shoot a LOT of fotos (retired Editor).

There are several manufacturers offering cameras of this type, and you really can't go too far wrong with most - we're just VERY happy with the Nikon. Btw: big zoom features are tricky things; even with the 'image stabilizer' feature added, it's impossible to hold a long zoom steady enough to obtain good focus, so DON'T make your decision based on the biggest zoom lens available.

There are also several options for bike bar mounts, one of the best being offered by 'Marlin' in Detroit. You'll see his advts. in most bike mags.

Hope this helps.

WRIDR

We have a Canon PowerShot D20 point and shoot camera - water proof, shock proof, fast shutter response. Takes great pictures and video. 12mp

We also have a JVC GZ-R10RU camcorder. "Quad proof" - water/dust/shock/freeze.

Nancy can use either camera while riding and I don't have to worry about having to stop if it starts raining.

When we are stopped, I'll use my Nikon D90 and keep it in the trunk while riding.

Interesting info. I have thought from time to time about a camera for the bike on trips. But the wife seems happy so ar using her phone and the little cannon digital we have. Heck I dont even know what model. Mostly stills though she will shot video shorts.

What I'm really looking for is a camera that I can mount to the bike to record videos of the ride. Looks like gopro is the ticket, but wanted opinions in case there's something out there better suited to my RSV.:confused24:

I'd be skeptical about a bike mounted camera concerning road vibration, even with image stabilization. Maybe there are bike mount cameras with gimbals that overcome this. Buddy has a chest mount gopro harness, problem with that is interference from the wind shield. I'd have to go with handheld P&S for reasons already mentioned.

I have the Drift Ghost S although Drift has just come out with a newer model which is smaller in size. I did a lot of research between the Go Pro and Drift and I'm convinced that the quality of video is the same for both although each advertises that their quality is better than the others. For me, I chose the Drift because it more suited my needs. Do your research (on these and others such as Garmin) to make sure you get what suits your needs as you will be spending several hundreds to get a camera of decent quality.

I did not want a camera mounted to my helmet so I've mounted it to my bars. The mount is fine but not perfect for me so I'll be doing some searching over the winter to see if I can find a better one. There is too much vibration to have it mounted on the windshield (suction cup) and I'm not fussy about having it mounted too low to the ground on the crash bars.

One of the settings is to have it so that the camera powers up and down with the ignition on/off. Start up the vehicle and the camera instantly starts recording. Shut the vehicle off and the camera records for another 5 minutes and then shuts down automatically. I switch the camera between my truck and bike (truck has suction cup mount). Very easy download, long battery life, has a remote, etc. etc. Good luck with your research. Doug

Here is the one Ive bought and have at home but havnt installed on the bike yet. It has 2 remote cameras you mount wherever you like (I thought facing front and rear) and the control/head unit is slimline and I will mount in my tour pack. It doesn't say waterproof on it, but the head unit will be in the trunk and dry so I was willing to take the chance for about 80 bucks. I plan on installing it on the bike in spring but don't have any current video from it. While looking at it in the box and scrutinizing the cameras and head unit it appears to be of a good quality build, in my opinion. It was shipped to me in Canada for no cost and had no taxes or duties when it arrived at my door in about 3 weeks.

I already have a Drift HD camera that I mount on the bike from time to time that takes great movies and pics, but I wanted something that I could mount on the bike and leave it onboard .

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-S3000a-Car-DVR-Independent-Cameras-Car-Camera-Rear-View-Camera-HD-3-5-720P/1668592241.html

Edited by friesman

Like everything else in life, I have always maintained K.I.S.S. in my photography equipment.. After destroying a few camera's while biking and having one stolen, I defaulted to strickly bargain bin specials.. Finally, digital camera's came out, got perfected, started showing up in bargain bins and I am now able to take thousands of pics (of which I always get a couple good ones) on a tour plus many many videos.. When shopping for a camera I only have a few reguirements I abide by:

Has to be S.D. Card compatible,,, on a couple occasions I have gone back to my splattered camera on the highway and been able to salvage the card = THIS IS HUGE!!

The ability to pull card, put in a computer at a library - send pics to VR or family is also huge (no sense in taking pics if ya dont share em)..

Also,, its amazing how much memory "vids" use = 16 gig cards are a good place to start..

Double A or Triple A batteries power source only.. Available at ANY gas station = NICE.. I prefer Double A cause they seem to last longer..

Able to take both pics and vids with sound, zoom lens..

Prefer automatic lense cover type = keep dirt out..

Last camera I bought I rescued from a bargain bin = see pic,, it was a 50 dollar special.. It has been dropped twice (now held together with tape - notice battery door being held with my thumb). I always carry superglue for sticker maintenance on Tweeks = superglue tube leaked glue into my camera's shutter button so it is hard to press now (been like that a year or so now).. It has also been dropped in mountain snow, covered with desert dust and fell into some creek mud once while panning for gold during a tour of Kings Canyon..

All said, it is 3 years old, has taken many thousands of pics and vids.. I have had lots of comments about my skills in photography because of this camera = I am a bone head, all praise to camera for good pics.. I would by a cheap little Nikon again, staying with KISS,, as long as it was carbureted and not EFI...

P.S. - on one of my better days a couple years ago I actually won a camera that looks like a Go-Pro.. It is an Emerson.. I havent taken the time to fiddle with it cause this little Nikon has done a pretty good job of supplying me with memory ammo BUT, I plan to try it out when the Nikon dies..

P.S.S. What ever you get, make sure that you can adjust the pic size down to 680x420 so,, even while on the road so you can send pics to us here on VR... Pics are more fun when you share!!

Best wishes finding just the right one Unc!!

Puc

DSCN0201.JPG

DSCN0202.JPG

DSCN3895.JPG

Edited by cowpuc

We totally agree with Cowpuc's KISS theory for this stuff.

One thing not mentioned in our original text was an old tried and true method of fitting a long enough loop/string on your point and shoot camera to slip it over your neck so it sits high on your chest. We always prefer shorty windshields. If you can shoot over the 'shield it helps a lot in this scenario. Once the camera is properly positioned, with the Nikon S9700 (and most others) you just hit the record button whenever something worthwhile is seen, and you're in business. Then hit the button again when done.

No mounts, no vibration, and better results than you'd think possible.

WRIDR

I got a Sony Action cam this passed summer and I really like it. Have it mounted to the left handlebar. Easy to start and stop with a touch of the button. It has a stabilizer built in so the vid is very clear even when going 80 MPH. It beat Go Pro in a comparison test and at $129.00 from Amazon it is a steal.

I wanna rig up a camera on an extendable arm with a remote trigger on it so I can stick it out away from the bike and take pics of Tip and I as we are cruising thru the mountains.. I tried it once out west with some duc tape and stick but found out that the arm has to be easily retractable or it bothers cagers passing by in the other lane... I also have to work on a remote trigger as the 10 second timer on my Nikon doesnt really give ya a lot of time to get the camera out to take a picture...

I've taken a fair amount of video over the years.

Have to agree with the Nikon s9700 or similar solution.

You have the perfect set up as Lisa likes to ride.

The Go Pro will take forward and back video but it won't include you guys...

Solution to this problem could be to mount your Go Pro on different bikes, during a ride...

Use to film my skiing /Boarding trips but very rarely look at it.

The stuff I do look at, from time to time is footage I have that includes friends/family

Video with scenery only is boring... IMHO

A friend of mine has a Contour that he uses on his bike. It is similar to the Go Pro but has some different features and is already waterproofed. I really liked it when we rode together the other day.

www.contour.com

www.amazon.com/cameras

I have the Contour one and it is not a bad camera. Sound sucks on it, but for motorcycle riding all you would get is wind noise anyway. Battery life is abour 3.5 hours. They are easy to mount on helmets. They have a model that includes GPS tracking, but it is expensive and requires an additional waterproof case which the basic unit does not require. Contour went out of business last year, but came back under new ownership this spring. Apparently new models are coming, but have not seen them yet.

I have a wifi backup camera that allows you to turn off mirroring (so the picture is correct not backwards) and have it synced to my Samsung S5 it allows recording. It is mounted under the headlight and works good enough for what I want.

I have both the GoPro and the JVC Addixxion cams. JVC is tiny with built in monitor. GoPro is a GoPro. Lots of good mounts available.

I mounted the GP on my VStar 950T in two different places. Handlebar and on engine guard. The guard was more stable. The wind buffeted the cam on the handlebar. BUT, with both cams having such wide angle lenses, the buffeting and vibration isn't really that bad at all. Perfectly acceptable. The handlebar gave a better wide angle view of the scenery...the guard gave a better view of the road. I editing two hours of video down by speeding everything up and cutting out the boring sections. The wide angle lens does make the speed seem less than you are really going anyway, but the result was fun to watch.

Venture: I will probably mount the cams in or under one of the rider air ducts on the first gen fairing or make a small plate that goes under the mirror mount and holds the cam just in front of the windshield. We shall see.

The only way to go is one of these little cams. They are made for this kind of work. You start them then walk away for the duration of the ride. No distractions on your part. You can buy the JVC for under $200 and the new GP for less! The least expensive GP will do very well...for stills and video. Just experiment with the format settings and location mount to get the best "look" for you.

I also carry a tiny Olympus point & shoot for my "get-off-the-bike-to-rest-my-butt" pictures...as well as my phone.

If I can figure out a way to post a video...I'll do so....

david

Edited by videoarizona

I'd be skeptical about a bike mounted camera concerning road vibration, even with image stabilization. Maybe there are bike mount cameras with gimbals that overcome this. Buddy has a chest mount gopro harness, problem with that is interference from the wind shield. I'd have to go with handheld P&S for reasons already mentioned.

RAM mounts can be used for a go pro as well. They also make a clamp with an extension ( which comes off if you want to just use the to pro and clamp only ) that bends, and can be placed on the crash bars, rear passenger handles or even the luggage rack., or they make a suction cup that brags about sustaining up to 130MPH. I have the suction cup but haven't used it yet. I have used the clamp and it hold well with no excessive vibration. They also make straight poles and other crazy accessories. It doesn't zoom, but it's pretty cool to use. At the IR, I believe it was. Joe, who had one zip tied to an modified aluminum block on the luggage rack. You can mix and match to experiment and try what's best.