IGNORED

Would you buy a NEW RSV?

Freebird

I've seen a few posts here lately about there still being some brand new RSVs on dealer floors. It led me to think about, why would I buy or not buy a new RSV.

I was just wondering how you all feel about it. For me, the decision has very little to do with the bike itself. In my opinion, the RSV is still one of the best bikes and best bike values on the market today. Yes, Yamaha should have made some small incremental changes over the years but basically, it is a solid platform with a great engine and is still one of the most comfortable bikes I ever owned.

Yamaha continuing to install a cassette deck on the bike until the very end is just plain stupid in my opinion. They could have very easily done away with it and substituted an MP3 or just an MP3 Interface. Even a CD player would have been an improvement though not a lot better. They could have just removed the cassette, run the auxiliary port to the dash the way many of us did and just put some gauges where the cassette was...again...as many of us did.

A very small amount of engineering and production change to correct the sometimes obsessive clutch basket chirp and the gear whine would have been a great move. It would not have taken much to address that issue.

Carbs? OK....to most people, not that big a deal. I was actually just fine with the carbs even though there are few vehicles on the road today that still use them. Some people actually prefer them over fuel injection because we can work on and repair them. There are some things that I like batter about the fuel injection on my Road Glide but it's honestly not that big a deal to me and I was fine with the carbs also.

The bottom line is that the RSV was and still is a great bike. I love my Road Glide but there are a couple of things that I actually liked better about the RSV and the main thing is the heat. Make no mistake about it. The Harley runs HOT. If you get stuck in slow moving traffic you are going to suffer and your passenger is going to suffer even worse. On a very hot day, you will even notice some excessive heat when running a highway speeds. There are some things you can do to help, remove the catalytic convertor from the head pipe, replace the head pipe with a ceramic coated aftermarket unit, etc.....but even then....it is HOT. Not way around it. Not bad for the rider when you are running down the highway with your feet out on the highway pegs but the passenger will still suffer some. With that one thing aside though, and it is a big one, there is very little that I don't like about the Glide.

That being said, what if I didn't like the Glide and decided to buy something else. Would I buy a new left over RSV? With the recent posts about them being available it just caused me to wonder why people would. Big Tom posted about a brand new one on the floor at Pioneer for $14,000.00. My friends, that is a BARGAIN. That is just about what I paid for my 1999 when I bought it in April of 1999. So why would anybody not jump on that deal?

Well after giving this some though, I can only give you my main reason for letting it pass if I were even in the market. Accessories. That is it. I can live with the carbs, I can remove the cassette and add gauges, I can pretty much deal with the whine if it is not very excessive. Personalizing a new RSV would be a major pain though. One are where Yamaha has always been a complete failure is the availability of accessories. I don't think there has ever been a time since the RSV was introduced in 1999 that the accessories have truly been readily available. I can remember many of you posting in the old days about trying to order a rack or bag rails or this or that and being told that there was a 6 month wait. Why? Because they were selling so fast and furious? I don't think so. I think that Yamaha just put it out there and then sat back and waited to see how much demand there was before actually manufacturing them. Then after that short time when there were a few items available, many were discontinued even while the bike was still being sold. It is inexcusable that a company would market and sell a bike while at the same time, discontinuing the accessories that many people would want. I don't think that they even show a trunk rack available any longer. Hopnel stopped making the bibs long ago. Khromewerks no longer shows mufflers available. Forget ordering any carb covers, twinky covers and many other things from Yamaha.

That means that you buy a brand new motorcycle and find yourself scouring Ebay to make that bike your own. Aside from a handful of local members here who offer some nice accessories, you are pretty much out of luck.

I think about the bike that I sold to Yammer Dan and then think about how long it would take me to accessories a new RSV the way that I had that one done and I realize that it is NOT something that I would even want to try. There are many things on his bike that would be very difficult and maybe impossible to find again. Not to mention what it would cost me to do so.

So that is why I would not buy a new RSV. I think that Yamaha could and should learn a LOT from Harley, Indian, Victory and others about marketing. They are capable of building a fantastic machine but fall way short in everything after that.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been real big on accessories. I think some machines look great just the way they are straight off the floor. I understand tht there's other bikes out there identical to mine, and I'm OK with that, so I don't need to personalize either.

I do think the cassette player is dumb. I'd like to remove it and put in the gauges like Yammer Dan has,(did you install those or did he?) but I've a Molly Hatchet cassette in there, and I'd hate to lose that.:cool10:

If I where to do it I would move some of the accessories from the current bike to the new one. Having said that, the RSV stands out in a crowd and if the price is right, might go there but looking forward to if and what Yamaha puts out to replace it. Hoppefully fixing the few shortcomings of the 2nd gen.

:canada:

I've never been real big on accessories. I think some machines look great just the way they are straight off the floor. I understand tht there's other bikes out there identical to mine, and I'm OK with that, so I don't need to personalize either.

I do think the cassette player is dumb. I'd like to remove it and put in the gauges like Yammer Dan has,(did you install those or did he?) but I've a Molly Hatchet cassette in there, and I'd hate to lose that.:cool10:

I installed them long ago. I think there is very little left for Yammer Dan to do to that bike. :)

Yes I would and probably will buy a brand new RSV. I am not really worried about accessories because I will make what I need. I had a 4 year hiatus from an RSV and found that there is nothing on the market to replace it. I got bit by the Harley bug in 2010 and sold my sweet 06 black cherry RSV to buy an Ultra Classic. The romance did not last long and I was longing for my RSV. Heat, poor overall performance and many breakdowns soured me for an air cooled v-twin. I have not found another touring bike (cruiser style) that will do what I need it to do and that is to be reliable and to be enjoyable on all levels and I have tried them all.

I can see always having an RSV in the stable as my 2up distance rider. But, I am thinking FJR, ST 1300 or even a CTX 1300 as my next commuter........

Just sayin'.......

My current bike now has over 100,000 miles on it but I think it will go another 100,000. My tightwad nature won't let me just go buy another bike because I can. In the 12 years since I bought mine my tastes have changed and I will buy a combination of my two current bikes next. I believe a Yamaha Super Tenere could replace both of them. Especially since my wife very rarely rides with me anymore. The Venture has been a great bike though. It has had a few problems but I would not be afraid to take it on a 3000 mile trip. I am one of the few that bought the Venture MP3 player while it was available so the cassette player is a non issue.

Great thoughts Don. If I were taking longer trips I would consider the Venture again. The thing I hated about my Ultra, Roadglide, and Voyager was the heat. In fact, I really liked the Voyager with the exception of engine heat. Not sure they make many aftermarket parts for that either! One thing I like about my Road Star is that you can make it your own. There are a ton of after market parts and you can find many of them on Craigslist for a fraction of the price. My 08 Road Star turned out so sweet the guy I bought it from kept pushing me to sell it back to him -and I finally caved in last month. I miss the Royal Stars - they are great machines. I keep hanging around and looking at them - maybe someday I will go back - but for now - my Road Star fits me best.

I went from an 04 roadstar to a Venture, enjoyed 7 years of pure fustration trying to work with Broward Motorsports of Davie Florida on Warranty Work.

Pretty Bike, but that's it. I've moved on.

But I'll always be a member of Venture Riders

I tell my friends I belong to Venture Riders International. Because it doesn't matter what you ride to be in this group/ Family

Edited by Brake Pad
Add phase

Would i buy a new one? YES

Do i have plans of a new one? NO

I will wait till mine starts giving me a reason to replace it.

Not broke in yet @ 186,000 miles and still enjoying every mile in the mirror.

Accessories location from yamaha is still tough, however the smaller this world gets with the world wide web, the easier it is to find the members like Slowrollwv that makes everything that yamaha did and a few more. He only lacks the computer abilities to promote them and i have the same disability..lol.

The cassette deck is and always has been a joke, but its just fine and mine still works, i use a aux blue tooth reciever and listen to pandora from my phone and would not use a cd or any other device if offered.

My old 2003 still gets a look or two and still takes me everywhere i want it to go.

Mike

I wouldn't. Nice bike but design getting old. Having any bike for a couple of seasons, I'm looking for a change.

I'd go for something like the Yam Super Tenere(?) or new Kaw Versys 1000.

Lighter, faster, better handling, LIGHTER! :whistling:

Big Tom posted about a brand new one on the floor at Pioneer for $14,000.00.

Price check: A VR member friend called them. Actually dealer is $14,995 on that bike, not $14 even. Still, 40% below a dressed Ultra or Roadmaster.

People are throwing out that Yamaha will be showing several new 2015's next week in Orlando, including a touring RSV replacement. If so, curious on where it will fit. Likely about $24K(?).

(I see that Yamaha has the largest booth. http://www.aimexpousa.com/ ) Show is open to public Oct 18-19. Someone down there, STEVE K?, go, and tell us what you see.

Edited by Mike G in SC

When I bought my RSV, I loved it. Like many, I added all kinds of after market accessories and enhancements and a few of my own touches making it different than any other one out there. I mean I really grew close to that bike because it was a very attractive bike and it was the best bike I ever owned.

When I wrecked it, I was at a deciding point in much of what this thread is speaking of. Would I buy a new RSV again.

After days of searching bikes in general, all types and models, I evaluated all the options on all of them out there that I reviewed. I wanted electronic ignition next, the CD player, Mp3 player, and that same smoothness when idling, including cruise control (again).

I bought my Goldwing. Much different at first in handling, a heck of a lot WIDER between the knees but much more powerful.

I can honestly say I will not buy another RSV unless Yamaha does get with the times. I would not want carbs or a tape player again.

The RSV looks more of what a motorcycle should look like, than the Wing does though.

But hey, one good thing about the wing is I can wash and dry it a heck of a lot quicker being all Tupperware...:whistling:

No brainer for me.

Until I rode the 1st Gen and understand what Yamaha did to make the bike run so well...I would not hesitate to buy a new RSV. If I had the bux!

Seriously. I know the drive train is pretty much bullet proof. I know the confort will be there. I know the handling will be there. I don't care about the cassette deck cause I make my own music mix now from my library...so I can make cassettes for different travelling moods easily.

Yes, MPS3 would be nice...but I can add that myself.

Everything on my 1st works and it's 25 years old! To have a brand new version of what I ride now would be great! Still supporting two kidlets in college so no more $$. But yea...I would buy. What a bargain!

david (drooling)

Pleasantly surprised with the RSTD. One of the more comfortable 2up bikes I've ever been on. That being said there are waaay too many low mileage closet queens out there to even think about taking the depreciation hit on a new ride. Just my $.02. :)

I was window shopping at a dealer in the Edmonton area yesterday. They sell Yamaha, Victory and Suzuki. They had a handful of Yamaha cruisers on the floor including a new 2013 Venture. Other than a new Strat that had potential, the rest of the Yamaha line were a sad array of uninteresting stock. The Victory models however, were a pleasure to view. They have several Cross Country models in stock that have lots of stock bling, vivid color schemes and comfortable seating. Even the Suzuki line had some interesting models. In short, if I were a new rider out to pick up a bike, there wasn't much on the floor from Yamaha that would have attracted me. I wouldn't part with my Venture but if I had to get something new, it likely wouldn't be something from Yamaha. Doug

No, I would never buy a brand new Royal Star Venture. Why ? Do I not like them ? You bet I do. But the prices on used ones are so low that buying a new one would in my eyes be throwing money out the window. But don´t get me wrong. The prices being offered by dealers on 2013 unused Ventures is a GREAT price for a brand new two up touring bike.

But lets look at the market.

For example a 2008 model with 34.000 miles just recently sold on eBay for 5.400 US$. Tip top shape with a lot of accessories. Thats about 9.500 US$ lower than a brand new 2013 one. Same bike, more accessories and at least 160.000 miles left on the motor if not more

Another example from eBay: A 2008 with a Voyager Trike kit, 17.236 miles. Beautiful bike. Listed for Buy it Now: 8.500 US$ - Seller accepted buyers offer that is lower than the Buy It Now price, but offer price tag is hidden. I would blindly guess 7.500 to 8.000 US$.

The thing is, Yamaha´s failure with marketing and supporting these bikes with modest upgrades and accessory´s, like Freebird pointed out, has caused the market to reject them, hence the low price used ones are selling for.

I simply love the Royal Stars and for the price I will continue to buy them as long as I need a bike to tinker with and ride. Simply a great bike at a very attractive price. And even the price on a new unridden 2013 is great. I just can´t see why I should spend the money on it when able to get a perfectly good, same kind of a bike, with a lot of accessories for a fraction of the price.

A couple of months ago I lost my Venture in a traffic accident. My insurance paid me a fair price so I was off shopping for a new bike. In the past year I had test ridden Indian, Victory and Harley. They were all good bikes but what I really wanted was a new Venture. Alas due to my injuries I either had to wait or purchase from a local who could deliver to my house.

The last new hold over in my area sold two days before I went shopping. Dang.

I looked at a couple of used ones and settled on a 2010 Black with graphics. I must admit there were some better deals available on this forum which made the purchase more difficult. But they were all far distant and I could not travel. So I bit the bullet and wrote a check. The new to me Venture was delivered to my house that same day. So was my old wrecked Venture. While I could not ride or even move the bikes I still one handed removed many of my add on accessories from my old bike. Most of which I put in a large box for later installation. Two days later the old girl was gone.

During my recovery I slowly mounted the accessories on the new bike. I called it 'working out of the box'. Even though most of it was done one handed it was therapeutic. After about six weeks I was brave enough and dumb enough to try riding again. Talk about therapeutic, wow. I exercised extra caution to not turn to sharp, no arm strength, and certainly to not lay the bike down. I was fortunate and all went well. Finally at about week twelve the doc gave me the reserved go ahead to ride again. I am truly glad I stayed with the Venture. I just wish Yamaha would learn about incremental improvements. With the addition of fuel injection and anti-loc brakes the Venture would still be a current powerhouse. And I would have been able to buy new.

Mike

Edited by MikeWa

A quick Google search says that in 2013 about 500,000 motorcycles were sold in the US. 2/3rds were Harleys and only a few were attributed to Yamaha (less than 2%). The Motorcycle Industry Council sells access to its more reliable data but I'm not paying. So what Google reports may be wrong.

I often wonder when thinking about RSVs and if I would buy one is why does Yamaha keep making them. Surely they can't be selling many. The tooling is all paid for and I suppose they don't have to sell many to keep the line going to see where the market goes.

It is my observation that these heavy two-up touring bikes are sold to the now aging baby boomer market. I just don't see many younger guys on these bikes except for those who are dressed head to toe in HD logo gear. I think its not so much a bike they bought but something else. But even the big HD's seem to be ridden mostly by pensioners. There are exceptions of course but that is the rule that is observed by me.

I love my 89 but if I had to replace it it would be tough. I'm thinking of lighter bikes. I'm thinking more about cruising than distance riding. But I'm a tail end boomer and really wonder why buy another bike at all even though I can and there are many I want.

It wouldn't be an RSV. I looked hard at an 09 Road Star Midnight Silverado that was sweet and priced right recently. My eye is looking at the Valkyries. My lust is looking at the Moto Guzzi California touring bike and I'm thinking about ordering one for 2015.

I often hear that the touring bike / cruiser market is very small and might not be worth pursuing. But as I look around Harley has done very well in this marketplace. Honda has managed to sell more than a few Goldwings. Most interestingly Indian and Victory have both entered the big bike market and are doing quite well. So I believe the slow sales for the Japanese touring bikes, Goldwing excepted, is due to market choice. Yamaha's commitment seems to be to the dirt bike and pocket rocket market. They advertise heavily and are doing well in those fields. With no commitment to the cruisers, very limited selection and even less advertising it is not surprising that sales are lagging. That said the current choices in the big bike market are limited to two cylinder or Goldwing. Come on Yamaha put the V-4 back in the game and commit to it.

Mike

Don and the rest brought up many points as to why or why not. For me, the answer is no. Here is why. For the time I had the RSV, which I sold to my brother in NY, and the bike is still with me! I LOVED riding it, and still enjoy it. However, I don't like it being top heavy. I'm also a bit shorter than most, therefore I would already start with the lowering or adjustments. What I like about the RSV, as Eck pointed out, is they do LOOK like a motorcycle. It's unique, people wonder what is that? They are as reliable as a slant 6 dodge dart. But, I am not one of those tinkering guys. I find that yamaha RSV has slowly been passed by. New technology, features, even something simple as LED lights for safety aren't OEM. That is Yamaha's fault for not keeping up. The bike itself, that motor, drive train etc is not I'm against, they always get rave reviews and FREEBIRD was instrumental in helping me decide I should get one. But my tastes, and times have changed. I wanted to test myself with a GW. Fuel injected, cruise that doesn't bog down, reverse!!! Wow. The RSV is top heavy, but road worthy, eating mile after mile. The GW I believe does also but has more modern accessories. At this time, no thanks. Now...if the new redesigned RSV has fuel injection, maybe a reverse, some LED lights, then I might, MIGHT think about it. I like the look. But as I get older, I don't wanna struggle with a heavier bike that sad to say, pales in comparison handling wise as the wing...

I would say probably not. While Im ok with mine and it rides well, I think its to top heavy. Hind site being 20/20 I would probably go with a Victory Cross bike.

The drive train on the RSV is bullitproof and very spaceous people space wise. But get it 2 up and gear loaded it can be a scary 1000# beast. And that just aint fun or a good time.

When I bought my '09 RSV in 2010, it was three months old and and only had 2500km. Pretty much brand new. Original owner must have paid $18,000....I paid $14,000.

Before buying, I test rode the Gold Wing, the Electra Classic....and to me the RSV was the right fit, and looks the way a bike should look. Seating position, rider/passenger comfort was all there.

Over the last four years I've spend approx $6,500 in accessories and "upgrades" to make it mine. Most parts are OEM but others are from Carbon One, SlowRollWV. OEM accessories are hard to find now.

Would I buy a new 2012/2013 RSV ?

YES (if my RSV were totaled or stolen) :

- 5 year warranty

- $14,000 is a great deal

- still the most comfortable (for me) and reliable touring bike out there

- still has the configuration I wanted in a touring bike 4 years ago (v4, shaft drive, liquid cooled)

NO :

- lack of OEM accessories

- potential 2015 Venture - depending on price and configuration (better have v4, shaft drive)

With other touring bikes :

- Victory - don't like the V lines of the bikes

- HD - don't measure up to the RSV, hate the shaking, not as comfortable, not shaft drive

- Gold Wing - not a comfortable riding position for me, doesn't have the "look" of what I see as a bike

I'm not in a position to "upgrade" to a 2015 Venture. My RSV has 68,000km and still has many more miles in it. Potentially might be the last bike I own and might ride it as long as I ride. If I come into money and the new Venture has what I see as necessities in a touring bike (v4, liquid cooled, shaft drive, riding position, passenger comfort) then I might consider an updated Venture.

If I continue to average 14,000km per year, when I retire in 10 years at age 65 the RSSV will have 200,000km on it. Will still have lots of retirement miles in it.