IGNORED

Only by the grace of God....(And a little rider experience)

uncledj

Wow.....Finally settling down.

Had a great time at the WNY Mini Rally, met a bunch of GREAT people.

Big thanks to Big Tom for putting it together.

My friends and I are all safe at home....by the Grace of God ....and a little rider experience.

All went well, great weather for the ride home. I split from my friends in Youngstown, to continue my trip home to Columbus.

I was rollin' along at a pretty good clip, following a couple of cars that were in the passing lane, doing right around 80mph.

I heard a minor "clink", kinda like I hit a pebble or something that hit the fender, and thought nothing of it, until about 15 seconds later when the back end got real squirrely, real quick. I figured out pretty quick that the rear tire went flat....(still doing 80)...Withing a second or two, I was going sideways down Interstate 71, in-between a bunch of cars. The bike started fishtailing, and started on the front brake only, so as not to separate the tire from the rim...(That's where the experience came in)...the bike started heading off to the right, and I could fight it, or cut in front of the car just behind and to the right, I cut across the lane to the right shoulder....at this point KNOWING I was going down and seeing the guardrail coming on pretty quick,....thinking "when I lay it down, try not to get tangled up in the guardrail.....Not too worried about me, but dreading the damage about to happen to the bike. Man...time goes into slow motion at a time like this.....your recall everything..... Anyhoo. The bike was still fishtailing, and I was riding like I was still in my dirtbike days. I brought it to a stop....UPRIGHT !!!

I'm not a religious man, but I said a heartfelt THANK YOU to God. WOW.

As I type...I'm still a bit shaken....

I'm serious....I was doing every bit of 80 when this happened....

Well, at least I wasn't far from home.

I called the wife, and she got my neighbor to hook the trailer up to my truck, and they came and got me. A bit tricky getting it on the trailer with the flat tire, but all's well that ends well. I think I'll leave it on the trailer, and just pull the tire off there, rather than try to unload it with the flat.

Somebody up there's lookin' out for me.

One thing I found a bit dis-heartening was that I was on the side of the road for a little over an hour, and with the countless bikes that passed by, no one stopped.

Well, I'm safe at home now.:cool10:

PS: This is the third flat I've had on a roadbike in my life. The first two times I went down.

Edited by uncledj
PS

Glad to hear you kept her up, that Black Cherry doesnt look near as pretty all scratched up:doh: Hey it was great meeting you and your friends, I pm'd you some info on the Cade hopefully you can pass it on to your buddy.

Craig

Guest tx2sturgis

In April 2008 I had almost the exact same thing happen to me.

Its damned scary when the ass-end of the bull...uh...I mean...bike is violently shaking left and right...and yeah...gentle front brake to slow you down...no rear braking at all! (just another reason I despise linked brakes)

Sure glad you're not all banged up...and you're able to tell us about it.

Shaken is MUCH better than broken.

:happy34:

Had a rear go on me at 60mph back in the late 60's...fishtail all over...front brake only. ... ended up on side of road...breathing heavily and scared!

Spent the night courtesy of the USO in Mineola, Texas! "Tiny" at a Honda shop in Tyler fixed my tire.

Funny that a few years later, going back West in my Austin Healy, the brushes died in the generator....at the exit to Tyler! Stayed at same hotel, rescued by same guys at the gas station in Mineola and we found the brushes next door to the Honda shop at a tiny British sports car place. Pair of brushes for $.50...

I've been to Mineola three times.....each time with an issue!

Glad you are ok! Good riding!

Very glad you were able to keep it upright.

And stories like this help us that do not hove your experience level.

My first reaction to a situation like yours would have been to lightly use the REAR brake. From your account and what others have added I see that I would have been toast.

It is reading stories like this that I really wish I had the opportunity to have gone thru the dirt bike phase while I was still young, immortal, and able to heal fast.

tx2sturgis, the linked brakes would not have mattered, You would still get just front brake with the application of front brake. Or am I still missing something.

Guest tx2sturgis

tx2sturgis, the linked brakes would not have mattered, You would still get just front brake with the application of front brake. Or am I still missing something.

The missing ingredient is:

Rider habit.

If riding all season, or for many years, using primarily the rear brake pedal on a linked system...this COULD end up being the riders only natural ingrained response when trying to slow down. I prefer seperate brakes and the rider should, in theory, be skilled in using them individually.

And some linked systems do apply some rear trail braking with the front brake lever....depending on the manufacturer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_braking_system

Question:

Do you use ride-on?

Reason I ask is because I had a similar situation a year or 2 ago. I was able to ride about 10 miles at 75 before my tire got squirrely and there was a pretty big gash (1/2" by 1/2" V) in the thing.

I will never have another tire without ride-on. :2cents:

Good to hear you made it safely. As per your own admission, you had outside help. Interesting that He was there to help, where many others left you stranded. Maybe you could have a longer conversation with Him, and a closer relationship. It really wouldn't hurt and He wouldn't have to rattle your cage again.

JMT