IGNORED

Reschedule Maintenance Day ?

XV1100SE

Would you attend an alternate location for MD ?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend an alternate location for MD ?

• Yes - 1st half of June
    • Yes - 2nd half of June
    • Yes - 1st half of July (2nd half has the International)
    • Yes - August
    • Are you able to host ?

I enjoyed the two MDs at Don's that I was able to attend....enjoyed the ride there and back and meeting the people. I don't understand the thought that just because Don is unable to host one this year, we need to write-off the event. While I sincerely hope Don's issue is not serious, I don't believe there is any disrespect or slighting of anyone if a group decides to rally together and host one somewhere else......it's is about the camaraderie of the gathering, is it not?

I have so much on my plate I shouldn't even by whispering this thought but.....there are a large number of us on Ontario....I cannot offer to spearhead putting such an event together, but will offer to assist. There was a group of us that hosted a VR rally in Kitchener in.....can't remember what year...maybe 2006, and that experience would help is someone wants to lead this thing......anybody interested?

:stickpoke: ENHANCED DRIVERS LICENSE will get you across if Cheesehead land offers them.

Hey Raggy,, Tip and I both have those Enhanced Mi DL's, understood when we applied that they took the place of a Pass Port.. Later we were told that they arent necessarily applicable both ways (going in and coming out of Canada).. And that other States (like crossing into New York from Canada) dont necessarily honor them.. Any experience with all this???

Hey Raggy,, Tip and I both have those Enhanced Mi DL's, understood when we applied that they took the place of a Pass Port.. Later we were told that they arent necessarily applicable both ways (going in and coming out of Canada).. And that other States (like crossing into New York from Canada) dont necessarily honor them.. Any experience with all this???

There good both ways. makes crossing easy and fast. they ask how long you will be in country scan the lic. and your on your way. never a problem.

Puc,

Lonna and I purchased Passport Cards in Michigan before we left. I didn't want to do the enhanced DL as we weren't staying in Michigan for that much longer. It's good for automotive travel anywhere in the US crossing northern border (Canada) and southern border (Mexico). The full passport was $120 each if memory serves me right, the Passport Cards were $60 each and good for 7 years. It's not good for air or sea travel, but if thats not on your agenda, then it's not a real issue....:2cents:

Since probably no more than 10% of the folks that go to Freebird's MD go there to work on bikes, why does a get together during that time period have to be a maintenance event? Why can't some propose putting together a fun rally get together without it being based upon working on bikes? I know it is a great opportunity for those that need it, but that part only affects a few.

Some things could be done, like carb syncs, but it would be difficult to do tire changes.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Ok guys,

At this time I believe that all about what was to do MD on Don's has been said.

So, I'll not going to add anything else.

Then, when it will be in Grand Rapids????

It seems that we will have a MD in a Garage????

OOOOOPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSS

:mytruck1:

As many of you know,,,, well you should know,,,,MarCarl's VentureIn is held every year on Memorial Day weekend. Yep, it just works out that way.

We could expand this to include Friday, Saturday, and Sunday,,,, or just Friday and Saturday,,,,,,, or Saturday and Sunday.

What we normally do can be changed, we could eat different, we could forget doing an afternoon ride, we could have different people planning and\or leading different parts of the duration,,,, or I could do it all by my lonesome with my better half making sure I don't get lazy in the process.

We can accommodate campers, lots of bikes,,,(our neighbors think this is awesome and are already asking if we are doing this again) Bob can lead you to a Motel and I can see if they want to have more guests,,, (depending on the price,,,,).

We can do maintenance if needed, we can spot 4 scooters in the garage, I have one table and two lifts, air, paint, tools, some old parts, oil recycling, grease, rages, lights, pressure washer, and a Yammi dealer 1 block away.

I can imagine the biggest hurdle will be getting folks to come across the border.

Let me know if this works out,,, I all in!!!!!!

PS:

I'll close this thread in time,,, some time,, and start a new thread if needed.

PSS: We can also change the date!

Hey Carl, What kind of weather have you guys experienced at the end of May? Is your snow usually long gone by then? Am I understanding that tent camping is ok at your place or is there "Provincial Park" camping near by?

You guys are only a short 1/2 days ride for us, barely get the pipes warm,, that would really be fun!!!!

On a side note, we have this big ride in every year called "The Blessing of the Bikes" in Baldwin Mi.. It is in the middle of May and I have seen everything from snow/hail/sleet and normal temps are 50's / 60's during this ride... BUT, Lake Michigan weather does reek havoc around here...

Puc

Since probably no more than 10% of the folks that go to Freebird's MD go there to work on bikes, why does a get together during that time period have to be a maintenance event? Why can't some propose putting together a fun rally get together without it being based upon working on bikes? I know it is a great opportunity for those that need it, but that part only affects a few.

Some things could be done, like carb syncs, but it would be difficult to do tire changes.

RandyA

But the 10% use the experience and knowledge of the others who have been there. A great amount of knowledge and experience is assembled at maintenance day. Getting together and putting faces to names is priceless.

Carl has been doing his Venture Inn for many years now and it's ALWAYS a great time. We have yet to be rained out and so far it's always been very nice weather except one year it was cooler and windy. Yep only a few hours from the boarder.. For those of you south of the boarder it just means getting a passport or enhanced drivers license if you don't have one.

I think we all need to go to Orlin and Sharon's maintenance in Wisconsin. He has a great place for camping along the creek with lots of trees, he has a huge place for working on bikes under roof , in fact he has 2 places and there are motels within a few miles of his place and we could also put a ride together since there is some spectacular riding in the area. There are also 4 or 5 of us that will help Orlin with everything so it would be a great alternative for Don's and it is not like it would be replacing his since Orlin already has been doing this one for a few years.

just my thoughts

Rick

Glad to see that there is those that would like to have one, they are a great time we sure had a great time with ours,

And let me tell you if it doesnt go the way you planned it dont worrie about it I found that out last year.

I cancelled ours but with the looks I got from Sharon and her telling me that her and our son will help we could still do it I said okay.

So with alot of the roads washed out that I had picked for our ride soggy fire wood a water soaked campground we made due and we all had a great time.

We got to work on bikes and most of all we got to see each other and spend time together and thats what it all comes down to.

Ours is June 28 and it is on the calendar for those that want to come you are all wellcome it not just a Wisconsin event.

The date for Dons we allready have a family event that we can not miss so we wouldnt have been able to go or be able to have it here on that date.

For anyone who chooses to do one it can be alot of work but just have fun and go with the flow of it.

Orlin

I think we all need to go to Orlin and Sharon's maintenance in Wisconsin. He has a great place for camping along the creek with lots of trees, he has a huge place for working on bikes under roof , in fact he has 2 places and there are motels within a few miles of his place and we could also put a ride together since there is some spectacular riding in the area. There are also 4 or 5 of us that will help Orlin with everything so it would be a great alternative for Don's and it is not like it would be replacing his since Orlin already has been doing this one for a few years.

just my thoughts

Rick

sign%20yeah%20that.gif

Orlin Has a beautiful place with plenty of indoor space if the weather should not cooperate.

There is lots of room for camping along the river, (just watch out for the river monster :whistling:)

Plenty of trees for shade if it is hot.

Some really great roads for rides.

And it is already an established MD event. This is the third annual.

It would seem people in this thread are talking about distances that lead me to believe we need to split this discussion/thread into more localized events.

I think that no matter where or what direction MD would be relocated to, it would move out of comfortable riding range for some but might move into range for others.

Part of the allure of Dons MD was the number of us all in one place at one time. splitting into several smaller events, while it would work, would also lost the large group aspect.

There is just no replacing Dons MD, the best that we can do is to make do with what is available and hope that as many as possible can make it.

For now I will bow out of the Grand Rapids Hosting Offer. I dont want to interfere with Orin or Carl, as they have more to offer in way of camping on site, and have done them before. I am also concerned about the numbers, when I offered this I was thinking there might be 30 to 50 takers, then I was doing some research and saw that Don had something like 140 people at his last MD. I realize that the GR Maintenance Day would not probably not be that kind of numbers, but with no on site camping, and a place for a campfire etc, I dont want to inconvenience anyone in that regard. We have a Great facility to work on the bikes, and a short ride to some beautiful scenery, Motels and great food, so I may do one just for fun in the future, but am bowing out for now.

just my thoughts

Rick

Just as long as there are no railroad tracks running past the campgrounds I might consider going.

We can do maintenance if needed, we can spot 4 scooters in the garage, I have one table and two lifts, air, paint, tools, some old parts, oil recycling, grease, rages, lights, pressure washer, and a Yammi dealer 1 block away.

I can imagine the biggest hurdle will be getting folks to come across the border.

Let me know if this works out,,, I all in!!!!!!

PS:

I'll close this thread in time,,, some time,, and start a new thread if needed.

PSS: We can also change the date!

Hey Carl what about duct tape -----you didn't say anything about duct tape.

Good thoughts coming out of all this discussion. I'm gong to have to ponder all this for a bit, and then maybe have a suggestion as to how to come up with alternatives for this year. My wife says our place is too small to host over 100 bikes annnnnnd their riders. I say we can make it work,,,,,, 'course there would be standing room only:rotf:,,, not really, but yes, we have a corner lot, about 1\2 acre, and when you include the street and the neighbors' yards it gets a lot bigger. (haven't told the neighbors yet)

So, still looking to see what else can be done.

If we get rid of the maintenance aspect, we could 'rent' a park, or larger facility,,,, just a thought,,,,I got my thinker cranked up,,,,,,, see what suggestions you all can come up with.

PS

Some venues die when faced with adversities, others bloom and flourish. I'd like to think we will flourish. We are that kind!!!!:happy65::canada: