IGNORED

license plates for trailer

Rip

I'm curious how many of you with trailers have trailer plates. I bought my bike and trailer from a guy in Minnesota who said they didn't need trailer plates on a bike trailer there. I'm from Michigan, and haven't bothered to license it--and haven't been stopped so far.

--Ken

Trailer tags are required in Ohio and I do have them. They will stop you here. Now I understand that if you are from a state that does not require them, you are ok when traveling through other states but if they stop you and see that you are from a state that requires tags, they will cite you.

In WI only trailers over 3000 lbs need plates.

I do not have plates on mine and have not yet been stopped in any other state.

But in WI if you wish you can get plates for lightweight trailers, when you sell a trailer in WI the plate stays with the trailer. I do not like this part since if someone decides not to register the trailer the plate will always come back to me if the do something bad. Like blowing thru Tolls on a toll road.......

In mn all of the trailers I own under 3000# have a sticker that goes on the tongue of the

trailer left side when sitting on bike

Joe,

I remember your trailer,, I missed it by minutes on the classifieds!

I did pick up a Escalade this weekend in NJ. A haul, but good price for it.

Did you get a SC plate on your trailer. If so, did you have any problems getting a title?

We are going to travel states with this one as time allows till retirement in a couple of years, and debating on getting the license.

Thanks, Mike G

Oh, and, anyone, I will be selling my old " Harbor freight/Sears cargo shell" soon. Probably post in classifieds in a week or so.

All trailers in GA must have a plate, Costs vary depending on where you live since we pay taxes on value of vehicle/trailer which varies from county to county. My boat & utility trailers have tag fee of 12 plus tax which end up costing between 12 - 14 a year. No insurance required.

trailers in TN do not need plates. Its a hassle for folks who cross in GA a lot cause they end up getting stopped all the time, some areas more than others.

Joe,

I remember your trailer,, I missed it by minutes on the classifieds!

I did pick up a Escalade this weekend in NJ. A haul, but good price for it.

Did you get a SC plate on your trailer. If so, did you have any problems getting a title?

We are going to travel states with this one as time allows till retirement in a couple of years, and debating on getting the license.

Thanks, Mike G

Oh, and, anyone, I will be selling my old " Harbor freight/Sears cargo shell" soon. Probably post in classifieds in a week or so.

Mike,

Did not have any porblems at all but it had a NC title to start with.

Glad you found one.

I'm curious how many of you with trailers have trailer plates. I bought my bike and trailer from a guy in Minnesota who said they didn't need trailer plates on a bike trailer there. I'm from Michigan, and haven't bothered to license it--and haven't been stopped so far.

--Ken

You have just been lucky. Just go get a plate from the Secratary Of States office. It's a permanent plate. Never have to renew it. I am sure the ticket will be alot more than the plate.

You have just been lucky. Just go get a plate from the Secratary Of States office. It's a permanent plate. Never have to renew it. I am sure the ticket will be alot more than the plate.

:sign yeah that: Yea what Richard said. Not worth the risk IMO. BTW : Michigan here as well

Larry

Allow me to relate a totally fictional story that has no basis in reality and involves no real person...

Being as how many people own multiple trailers (snowmobile/boat/motorcycle/etc) and you can only tow one at a time, there may be people out there whom get a trailer with a "home built" registration. Then they can use one plate on all their trailers and have a resaonable argument that that plate belongs to any trailer that they own as they "rebuilt and reregistered" it themselves, as the registration card doesn't tie to any one trailer.

At least that's a story I heard....

been using the tag off a trailer I sold years ago, they keep sending me a renewal every year and I keep renewing it. If I get stopped they would never know that the trailer I am pulling isn't the one stated on the registration. I also use it on several trailers.

Allow me to relate a totally fictional story that has no basis in reality and involves no real person...

Being as how many people own multiple trailers (snowmobile/boat/motorcycle/etc) and you can only tow one at a time, there may be people out there whom get a trailer with a "home built" registration. Then they can use one plate on all their trailers and have a resaonable argument that that plate belongs to any trailer that they own as they "rebuilt and reregistered" it themselves, as the registration card doesn't tie to any one trailer.

At least that's a story I heard....

In Wisconsin when you register a trailer to get your plates, If the trailer does not already have a VIN, the state will assign one that must be metal stamped onto the tongue. That way you can not use one plate on many trailers. Now if you feel lucky that the LEO that just stopped you will not check the VIN to the plate.