IGNORED

How old were you?

Owen

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In June 64 when 13, I got a new 125 Ducati Bronco.

In Jan 73, when getting out of USAF, I bought a 250 Yamaha Enduro and kept about 8 months.

In 95, after coming back from the Bahamas where I rode a scooter for two days, I bought a Yamaha 850 Tripple Special with the hard bags and fairing. I think it may have been in the "Ventura" family.

In 96 I got my 83 Venture with 23,000 miles and now it has 150,595 miles.

RandyA

12 yrs old Honda cb100 my mom's

13 71 Honda trail 70 I bought with my own money still have it but not running.

15 my moms twin 2stroke Yamaha 200 and dads Honda cb 350 not legally of course.

40 2000 V Star 1100 Classic had it for 2yrs

49 2007 RSMV

as best as I can remember :backinmyday: didn't get a license till I was 40

Funny but true story,

My 16th birthday was on a saturday in 1982. I went for my class 6 (motorcyle) on the friday before, as they were closed on saturday, and got it. He told me that I couldn't legally ride until tomorrow. As I recall I put 3 tanks of fuel though my yamaha 250 exciter that day, night and well into the wee hours.:cool10:

I got my class 5 (car) licence 7 months later when it started to snow.:doh:

Tote Gote

At 14, my rock hound family used it to haul out lots of rocks. It had a hi and low speed only you had to stop inorder to shift it. Today I have the entire family rock collection in my garage. There must be a couple of tons. Keeping an eye out for a 12 in saw, got all the other equipment.

At 17, bought a new 69 Kaw 90cc G3TR Bushmaster. I used it to deliver papers. I still have it and plan on striping it down to the frame and restoring it back to origional condition, as best as I can. All I need is the right battery side cover.

At 23 when I left the Air Force I bought this new 74 Yamaha TX500 in Denver Colorado and rode it home changing oil on the way. My brother wrecked it trying to negotiate a 15 mph corner doing 55 mph. We were lucky that there were no vehicle coming the other direction. Just some scratches and bruses. had to unbend the front forks. At about 60 mph the front forks would vibrate.

At 25 bought a new 74 YZ125. I never raced it. I still have it and it is in really good condition. I plan on restoring it also. All I need is the round racing plate.

At 28 bought a new 80 Goldwing, thought I would never sell it until, I started to raise a family.

At 58, bought an 89 Venture Royale with 26K, thought I would ride it into my sunsetting years. Well it has less that 27K now.

At 59 while looking for a parts VR for my 89 I found this 91 VR with 6500 miles from the origional owner. If you see it, it looks like it just came off the show room floor. I'm going to ride this VR into my sunsetting years. Hmmm I've said that before and I'm now looking for a 90 to 93 parts bike. It currently has about 7200 miles.

I know my 91 is a pretty tall heavy bike for me and so at some point I'll may want to trike it if I want to keep riding.

2 cylinder BSA 650 :whistling:

Never ran right, electrics were terrible, no lights.

2 years of that cured me of BSA for good. :rotf::rotf:

Live and learn

AHHH LUCAS- The Prince of Darkness..... No British Bikes for me, but my brother had an MGB GT, wierd unexplainable electrical gremlins.

I grew up in the " As long as your living under my roof you can't ride a motorcycle" household.

First bike- I was 19 or 20, a 1974 Honda CL450K6 Scrambler, My friend brought it down from New Jersey in 1985 or 1986. It had been sitting. Put gas it in it , it fired up, I rode it around seemed to run OK, thought it was kind of slow had to give it alot of throttle, carbs leaked some. Bought a service manual, cleaned and balanced the carbs, adjusted the valves, replaced and timed the points and condenser, and about threw myself off it the first time riding it after working on it. No longer needed to turn the throttle near as much......

Got a Kawasaki 400 LTD during/after that one, then a 78 Yamaha XS 750 Special (Triple), 92 ST1100ABS TCS in 1994 Sold it in 1998 for $1000 more than I paid for it, Almost ten years to the day of selling the ST I got my RSTD. Hmmm. Mammaries.... Light the corners of my mind......

Derrek

Rode other friends from 14 yrs. old and at 17 my first bike was a Honda 305 Hawk.

At 19 a Honda cb450. A few years later in the late 70's got rid of that and didn't own another until 2003, a Honda 1100 shadow then in 06 the midnight rsv.

If you count mopeds, a Yamahopper when I was 16. Rode it all over Milwaukee & Waukesha counties. Took it to Louisiana when I was in the Army, rode it all around the base. Brought it back to WI where it finally died. Got my '81 XJ650 Maxim when I was 23, still have it. Even tho I got married & had kids, my loving wife told me NOT to get rid of it. Then a few years ago, since I want to modify my Maxim, I got a '83 Venture so my kids could still ride with me. I hang onto things, I will still have this bike when the 3rd gen Ventures come out...

-Andrew

I first rode a Vespa scooter on the roads in Sheffield, UK at age 13. That was grossly illegal and was 1972

At age 16 I had my first legal "moped" ... It was a 50cc Garelli.

At 17 I was given my first motorcycle ... A 1958 BSA D7 Bantam. It was ex- Post Office, and older than me.

It was followed by a Honda CB 250 then a Jawa 250 California.

Off bikes for a few years, then in my early 30s I had a Yamaha XJ600 then sold that and bought a Yamaha FJ1200A.

Kept that a while then bought a Honda VFR750F-L (Probably my favourite ever).

In between times I bought and restored a 1958 Matchless G11 CS. That bike I rallied quite a bit, mainly in Southern England and Northern France.

Jump to 2005 and I moved to the States ... Poor but happy I was bikeless until June 2010 when I paid $200 for a shed of bike .. A 1977 Yamaha XS750 ... I still have it and it is worth rather more than $200 now :)

In March 2011 I bought the '86 Venture Royale (for too much money). Currently that is the one I have prepped for LD Riding, and I ride it most days that I can ... even if only to the store.

At 14 I shared a 1974 Kawasaki 100 Enduro with my brother that I sometimes rode on the streets. First street bike I bought new at 18 y/o was a 1980 Kawasaki 550 LTD. I rode that over 24K miles the first year I had it in Michigan. That included a 1200 miles ride from St. Augustine, Florida to Grand Rapids, Michigan in 24 hours before the IBA even existed.

Age 16 Kawasaki 175 CC Enduro (1978)

Age 17 Yamaha 400 street

Age 19 Brand new Honda CB900 (Crashed in 1985 at age 23)

Kids and life got in the way!!

Age 42 Got back on with a 1983 Honda V65 Magna

Age 45 Purchased 2005 Yamaha RSTD in 2007

My wife and I really enjoy riding and the friendships that go along with it:)