IGNORED

Electrical Retard NEEDS HELP!

skydoc_17

I have a 1942 belt drive, Atlas Lathe that I completely rebuilt, and is my pride and joy. The 70 year old, 1/2 HP AC motor that came with the lathe, has finally "gone to heaven", just this past weekend. I would like to put a DC motor, and variable speed controller on this lathe, and bring it into the 21st century. I DO NOT have a very good understanding of DC motors, or the controllers. Could someone PLEASE help me with the selection of a motor and controller? Or, if you have a motor and controller, and would like to trade for some upgraded parts, or S.S. Brake Lines, or good old American cash. I really could use some help with this project. I know I can purchase a new AC motor, but the thought of changing the speed on this lathe, by twisting a knob, is very high on my "Must Have" list right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup2:

Thanks,

Earl

Well I'm definatly limited on my electrical skills. But I was intregued by the heading. lol I do have a couple questions though. If its a belt drive lathe it should have different sized pulley's or a "gearbox" on the unit to change speeds. I dont think your going to find a DC motor to fit this thing either. If you do you will have to run some sort of converter for it to run. Is this currently a 220v motor and single phase? 3 phase? 110v (standard household plug) Just fishin for info.

Earl,

A couple of pieces of information is needed. First, what is your incoming voltage (110, 230, 460Vac)? Single or three phase? What speed range do you want? Relative to the speed range, the previous motor will have a rating on it. Likely 1050 or 1650 RPM at 60 Hz.

Also, what is the face dimension of the motor? Foot mount or face mount? Shaft dimensions? I suspect it is a 56C face (may be on the nameplate).

A picture of the motor and the motor name plate would help.

When the old motor was running, was it fast enough? Do you want to run at ultra-low speeds (5 RPM or less)?

Assuming you have 230Vac, single phase, and the current (dead) motor was fast enough, and you don't need ultra-low speeds, a simple AC motor and VFD (variable frequency drive) with knob will take care of you. Even if you have 110Vac coming in, it can be done with a voltage doubler VFD and a standard AC motor.

Let me know what you need and I'm sure we can get something set up. I am an automation engineer and our company sells high quality, inexpensive, simple VFDs and AC motors.

RR

Earl,

just my opinon, but I feel either an AC or DC motor being run slow enough would be suspectiable to overheating, and I think I would see if it would be possible to install staggered belt pullys simular to a multi speed drill press.

Think you will get into bunch $ for 1/2 hp DC motor/controller and DC power supply. could consider multispeed AC motor with 3-4 speed windings.

I have a 1942 belt drive, Atlas Lathe that I completely rebuilt, and is my pride and joy. The 70 year old, 1/2 HP AC motor that came with the lathe, has finally "gone to heaven", just this past weekend. I would like to put a DC motor, and variable speed controller on this lathe, and bring it into the 21st century. I DO NOT have a very good understanding of DC motors, or the controllers. Could someone PLEASE help me with the selection of a motor and controller? Or, if you have a motor and controller, and would like to trade for some upgraded parts, or S.S. Brake Lines, or good old American cash. I really could use some help with this project. I know I can purchase a new AC motor, but the thought of changing the speed on this lathe, by twisting a knob, is very high on my "Must Have" list right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup2:

Thanks,

Earl

Earl,

What size motor frame do you need?

voltage/phase?

Shaft size?

I can ask a former co-worker at a previous job. I know when I was there they had quite a few motors that weren't used on project intended for.

Gary

You can still use an AC motor with a variable frequency drive, and have the ability to change speed with the twist of a knob or push of a button.

If you go DC, then you have carbon brushes to contend with.

Unless of course you go with a brushless DC motor and controller. If you do go with a brushless DC motor, make sure that you get a sensored motor and not a sensorless type.

You can still use an AC motor with a variable frequency drive, and have the ability to change speed with the twist of a knob or push of a button.

If you go DC, then you have carbon brushes to contend with.

Unless of course you go with a brushless DC motor and controller. If you do go with a brushless DC motor, make sure that you get a sensored motor and not a sensorless type.

Brushless DC motor would be $$$$ (but would work beautifully). It would be overkill for this application IMHO, but oh, so cool.

RR

Earl, Its nice to know that sometimes you need our help instead of alway bugging you. Everyone is asking the basic question to help you. Voltage phase (single or 2-3 phase), voltage and current (amps), size of shaft, or better yet, photos of name plate w/ info and motor itself. I think we're all glad that we can finally help you. At least I am:lightbulb:

Earl is far from a retard(in most things) :whistling:couldn't let you go completely!! But I know even less about Electric motors.

Is what you are after more of a variable speed instead that you can run at any RPM instead of just set speeds??? Belt drive?

Thought I had a idea there but it just wouldn't come out of my fingers!! I'll go back to the corner and let the experts take over.

How about you conect a second gen v4 up to it.With 5 forward gears you will have all the speed ranges you need and with a reverse when you get tangled up into the lathe simply reverse out. With all the power of the second gen engine your lathe will cut anything. :bighug:

Oh WOW Earl! You are getting a virtual wealth of valuable information here!!! OK here's my contribution. For what the project cost may end up being, why not just buy a new lathe that does what you want it to do???

That takes all of the challenge out of it.

Sometimes it is not the destination but the trip getting there that is the fun part.......

Something very important here that all of you have seemed to have missed,,,,, I'm not trying to be an expert here, nor am I trying to make this a long read, after all, I type slow and am not all that knowledgeable when it comes to electric motors and such, I can get along with bike electrics though and mostly understand what id being talked about. But I did learn something a few years ago, that I thought might be helpful in this case, it's not a big thing, as things go, but important enough that a video was made of the transfer of information,,,,,, the tidbit IS: don't let the smoke out of the wires!!!

I have not messed with the motor speed electrically but have used two opposing pulley's to adjust speed by moving a belt. It's simple and you always have good power from your motor. When trying to adjust speed electrically my experience is that motors don't last long.

I have not messed with the motor speed electrically but have used two opposing pulley's to adjust speed by moving a belt. It's simple and you always have good power from your motor. When trying to adjust speed electrically my experience is that motors don't last long.

They will last if the motor is designed for use with a VFD. The problems with a standard motor occur at either high speed (high switching frequency causes the wire varnish to wear) or at low speed (can't get the heat out of it cause the fan isn't turning fast enough).

RR

we'll let you write the check.............:stirthepot:

Super Cool..I. pretended to write the check, pretended to walk to the mailbox and pretended to take a deduction for my charitable contribution ....this is fun... Thanks for letting me play in all the Reindeer games ....

Super Cool..I. pretended to write the check, pretended to walk to the mailbox and pretended to take a deduction for my charitable contribution ....this is fun... Thanks for letting me play in all the Reindeer games ....

Oh yeah you were supposed to furnish solution to problem before you mailed check!!:whistling: