IGNORED

Ibuprofen is my buddy

friesman

I did a low speed drop onto the pavement yesterday at lunch time headed back to work. An old fella pulled out at the back of a car lot and didnt look. (or just didnt see) I wasnt ever in danger of hitting him but I did have to brake hard, when i did my front wheel hit a slippery manhole cover causing me to slide a bit and dumping the bike and me at about 10-15 mph roughly. The old guy didnt stop or even look back as far as i know, but i am ok with a few bruise and scrapes but just feeling really stiff and sore. Here are some pics of the bike and the road I was on when I wiped out.

I am thinking insurance will total the 85 but I will hafta wait and see what is happening until Friday at least.

the pics are here; https://picasaweb.google.com/103959080138590887139/20111018Oct172011RoadrashEtc#

I hafta add thanks to the Diamond Gusset Defender motorcycle Jeans I have no road rash on my legs, butt, or hip, but still bruised. IMHO road rash is way worse that a bruise and I am happy that my hip doesnt resemble a raspberry.

Edited by friesman

Brian - Bad enough to get banged up as you did because of somebody else's bad driving. Sure hope you feel better soon. To see your 85VR damaged like that and to have to repair or replace it sure adds insult to injury.

OWWWWW!!!

Yah! Brakes and manhole covers don't mix very well, do they?!!? Hope you heal fast! The bike can be repaired or replaced. You will probably have to repair or replace your front fairing frame. Maybe you can work out a deal with PB&J as he will be parting out his '85 Brownie soon...

Did anyone in the car lot see it?

Maybe they know who the old man is?

Hope you heal quick and get things settled with a minimum of hassle!

A few people stopped to help and make sure I was ok and to lift the bike to stop the gas spill, but as soon as the cops and ambulance showed up they all diappeared as far as I know, but i was in ambulance getting checked out for a bit, so I dont know if anyone talked to cops or not, and I didnt get any info from anyone, the ambulance and police were there within 5 minutes.

I hafta say so far the SGI provincial insurance is good, but will see what happens when I take the bike in. I have had a couple of calls from their personal injury people telling me what I am entitled to and to keep my receipts for any painkillers, etc and to book a chiro or physio and they will pick up the tab and they gave me a charge number to charge expenses directly to so I am not out of pocket. I have been to a doc already and he checked me over, gave me some days off and gave me a tetanus shot, but thats all no charge any time up here. SGI is replacing my jacket, pants and boots just go pick them out and charge to their number, but the helmet will be part of the bike policy according to the personal rep,....go figger.

Brian

Edited by friesman

I'm not sure what the deal is for totalled vehicles in Canada, but if they total the '85 do you get to buy it back for a few bucks?? It doesn't look all the bad and bet it could be TLC'd back into riding mode very easily. Most of the damage looks to be the left upper. Keep eatin' dem Motrin.... :)

I'm not sure what the deal is for totalled vehicles in Canada, but if they total the '85 do you get to buy it back for a few bucks?? It doesn't look all the bad and bet it could be TLC'd back into riding mode very easily. Most of the damage looks to be the left upper. Keep eatin' dem Motrin.... :)

Yeah, if the price was right I guess i could buy it back, but I dont have a garage to work on it so it depends on the dollar amount is whether I would even think about it. First things first tho, gotta ride it over to the SGI adjusters on Friday afternoon and see what they say.

The tempting part might be that an acquaintance totalled his 85 about a month ago when a car hit him from behind and its still sitting in SGI salvage yard. so it might be a project to make the 2 bikes into one. His upper fairing looked good if I remember right, but his paint wasn nearly as good as mine.

Brian

It looks like they are going to total the bike, but as its a govt insurance office, the guy that negotiates the deal was off today. So, I wont know until next week at the earliest what kind of deal i will get from the and what options I have. It was kinda painful riding the bike any distance today but it was such a nice day it just had to be done.:smile5:

Brian

Just reading this now Brian. Sorry to hear it. I always hate this kind of news but am real happy that you are still here to tell about it.

Shame about the bike and I always say that they make bikes every day but it would be real hard to replace you.

Take care, hope the healing is coming good and you get what you want for the bike. John and Dianne

• 2 weeks later...
So how did the insurance co treat you?

Everything work out to your satisfaction?

Still workin on things, Insurance estimates damage at 2200 bucks thats no probs to fix, but insurance wants a guaranteed estimate from repair shop that it wont go above 3300 bucks. Not many shops will do a guaranteed estimate on an old bike. Riding over to an aquaintance tomorrow that is a bike builder in spare time and full time at an autobody shop, he says his boss will have a look and thinks they can do it for me, depending on what they find when they look at it.

If I cant get anyone to supply estimate i guess the option is to let them ttl it, ive been checking with friends at insurance and they figure I should get 4kto 4500 for the bike.

Brian

just saw this thread...nasty looking bruises!

Hope you heal quick and well, buddy. Stuff like this happens, however careful one tries to be. Happened to me too, a while back, and its not a good feeling...but you will get over it.

Hope all works out to your satisfaction. You have a whole winter to get over this. :thumbsup2:

Take Care.