IGNORED

Need a poll for second gen rear shock

How many rear shocks have you replaced on your RSV  

166 members have voted

1. 1. How many rear shocks have you replaced on your RSV

My 06 is on the original shock at 65000 miles. There is no entry for 0 times replacement on the poll. I'm thinking that there is really no concern with the realibility of this shock. How long will struts on an auto last?

Edited by wizard
To add a comment about the poll.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 99 RSV shock gave out at 62,000, and I ended up replacing with one from Works. Just got back from 4,000 mile 12 day trip from KY to Canada and back. With their rough roads up north I was very glad to have the new shock under me. By the way Canada is a great ride but kind of pricey with the weak dollar.:322:

Glad you enjoyed Canada, ya if you wanna test your shocks come north :(

funny about you saying pricey with weak dollar, we have lived with the Canadian dollar being as low as 65 cents US......

I rode in eight degrees in January and 113 yesterday (these are temps measured on the bike, three feet above the asphalt, where the rider sits and where the bike parts are). My shock has not needed replacing yet, and that's a 105 degree temperature range, bike ridden nearly every day, year around, now at 94,900 miles.

By the way, the poll needs a zero (no shocks replaced).

There you go fellas, go ahead and fill in your answers

:thumbsup2:

I have put a sticky on this and will keep it up top fow a few weeks so folks can see it.

Thanks Squidley, but to really see some good results, should it have like a space for mileage and also include a 0- vote for those whom have not replaced ?

Something like this maybe.

0 shock 5,000 - 20,000

0 shock 20,000 - 40,000

0 shock 30,000 - 50,000

1 shock 5,000 - 20,000 miles

2 shocks 20,000 - 40,000

3 shocks 20,000 - 40,000

4 shocks 30,000 - 50,000

5 shocks 40,000 - 100,000

Just my thoughts :2cents: Thanks Fuzzy

• 3 weeks later...

'06 - original shock died at around 51k miles on the way to Cody for the International. Replaced at about 53k miles on the second day in Cody. (I can't say enough good stuff about Mountain Valley Power Sports in Cody! Got me a shock overnight, then shoehorned me in the day they got it. They didn't charge an arm, much less an arm and a leg to install it. Fantastic bunch of people!)

The shock never lost its oil, and it always held air pressure. The rear of the bike bounced like a pogo stick.

Now that I have a new stock shock I'm going to watch the Works vs. Hagon comparisons to see what to change to, then put this one on the shelf as backup while it still works.

My 05 Midnight went bad at 20,000 miles. While it was still under warranty I decided to replace it with a beefed up Works shock since I was triking the bike. I figured the extra weight would cause a stock shock to go out even sooner. For all I know Yamaha might not of even warrantied the shock if triked.

Currently have 27k on the Works shock with no problems

Larry

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those of you who had shocks go out..I have a question.. Did you ever put air in the shock? I wonder if the lack of air pressure in it would affect the longevity. Or, if you did put air in it, how did you add it? If you did not use a pump made for it, then that could have been the cause of over pressurizing it...