IGNORED

Need a poll for second gen rear shock

How many rear shocks have you replaced on your RSV  

166 members have voted

1. 1. How many rear shocks have you replaced on your RSV

Well, in my case, I never ran the shock without air. I never used anything other than a progressive hand pump to check and adjust it. Also, I don't think that blowing the air seal has anything to do with it leaking. Most shocks that i have seen that were leaking oil would still hold air.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in my case, I never ran the shock without air. I never used anything other than a progressive hand pump to check and adjust it. Also, I don't think that blowing the air seal has anything to do with it leaking. Most shocks that i have seen that were leaking oil would still hold air.

I agree, like one of the other guys said "it bounces a lot" with no oil but still holds air. At least mine did. The oil must give it the dampening.

BOO

My '99 has 36,000 miles on it, now and the rear is starting to feel like a pogo stick. :( It still holds air, though. When I bought the bike, 2 years ago it only had 16,000 miles on it. I have no way of knowing, for sure, but I suspect this is the factory original shock.

Like Freebird, use a hand pump. Hate to say, but I bought one at the local HD store.

I put 56000 on my 08 and my rear shock is getting replaced this Saturday. And yeah, I can bounce the rear end very easily. Wife was noticing it on the last trip to Virginia too.

So called my local Yamaha dealer, told him I needed a new shock.

• 4 weeks later...

Have an 87 VR w/progressive rear shock that the previous owner installed to handle tow. No need 4 tow, removed it.

Shock must be removed from bike with swingarm to do any adjusting. can't reach valve to check 4 pressure as valve faces to wards front of bike at exhaust heat shields, and has not dampening adjustment.

Can shocks be rebuilt? Seen some on ebay and would purchase and have buddy rebuild it as he does snow machine and motocross bike shocks.

Thanks.

Ivan,

If you know for a fact that your 87 has a Progressive rear shock, then you have one of the earliest aftermarket monoshocks that were made for the Venture. It should have a spanner nut on top of the spring to adjust the preload and possibley an adjustment screw at the bottom to adjust rebound dampening. And what you think is the air valve is really the schrader valve to charge the shock with nitrogen. If all of this is true, then you should already have a rebuildable shock? If you have a friend who rebuilds shocks, take your shock to him and see if he can work on it?

Hope this helps,

Rick

Have an 87 VR w/progressive rear shock that the previous owner installed to handle tow. No need 4 tow, removed it.

Shock must be removed from bike with swingarm to do any adjusting. can't reach valve to check 4 pressure as valve faces to wards front of bike at exhaust heat shields, and has not dampening adjustment.

Can shocks be rebuilt? Seen some on ebay and would purchase and have buddy rebuild it as he does snow machine and motocross bike shocks.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

So far only had my rear shock replaced once. Oil seal blew 50 from home coming in from Atlanta GA. Sorta scary when it happened because I was on a circle off ramp going for gas and the rear wheel started slipping. At the gas station I saw oil dripping friom the shock. Wasn't much but just enough to make my tire slippery for a moment.

• 3 months later...

took mine in a year before it failed as was wet and grimey at bottom of shock.also squeeky.Only had the bike a few weeks but dealerI bought it from said it ws fine and charged me for looking at it as nothing was wrong so not a warrenty issue.Of course the shock failed a few months after warrenty was up.Called Yamaha and told them i went to have it repaired under warrenty and the dealer said it was fine.Yamaha would not cover it as i did not have an invoice.I told them that you dont get a work order when no work is done.Yamaha refused to do anything about it.Run a works shock now as the stock venture shock is still known to fail.By the way AlanticMotoplex dieppe newbrunswick was the dealer.Just a heads up.

Love my venture but not very pleased with yahama

Thurber

I just replaced my with the hagon after 64K+. I have not done to much riding with it yet being i just moved out to nashville tn for 6 mos. I plan to do a lot on it though this summer. I am heading out to memphis this weekend for a SCRC Rally so I will have to give an update after that.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't see a selection for "needs changing now", but that's where I am. 34k miles on a 2005. Puked out all the oil. Got to replace it with something. What are you guys having good luck with?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

06 RSTD Shock leaking oil at 22000 miles.Was Still holding air. Prior Owner kept 0 psi on shock for first 11k miles. I ran 40-45psi the last 11k miles. At least half of my riding was 2 up. Agree with others that Poll needs a Zero.

Replaced with Hagon Shock with HD spring. 469.00 incl shipping. 2 year unlimited mileage warranty and rebuildable. Hagon USA LLC in California is great to work with.

RSTDdog

• 2 months later...
original equipment on my 07. should have an option of 0 on the poll.

There probably hould have been a zero option, but, I modified a poll once(after it had run a week or so) and all the data dissapeared... :whistling: so..... I would be very hesitant to do it now. Sorry...

• 1 month later...

My shock started leaking in the winter of my fifth year. Yamaha wanted $400+ for a new shock but I pressured them into giving me a new one. They claimed that their obligation ran out at 5 years but I felt their shock should have lasted longer then 25,000 miles and shouldn't be $400+ to replace. I can but four shocks for my car at half that price.