4 years

40,000 miles

--------------------------------------------------------------

Detailed info:

- bike had 20,00 miles on it when I bought it

- I always had 40lbs. air added with shock pump

- shock was the cause of car tire wobble

- new shock fixed car tire wobble

Problem noted was intermittent squeak & oil stain on shock. Car tire wobble was determined after replacement.

JohnB

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My shock started leaking in the winter of my fifth year. Yamaha wanted $400+ for a new shock but I pressured them into giving me a new one. They claimed that their obligation ran out at 5 years but I felt their shock should have lasted longer then 25,000 miles and shouldn't be $400+ to replace. I can but four shocks for my car at half that price.

Good for you, David.

I was an advertising manager for Mitsubishi Consumer Electronics in Canada for about 10 years and, during that time, I discovered that Japanese manufacturers are good..........but not perfect.

Between the "conceptual" guys (designers and engineers), the supply line (parts sourcers and vendors) and the factory, some things CAN and occasionally DO fall through the cracks.

The rear shock on the Venture is obviously one of these items.

Yamaha should have done the honorable thing YEARS ago and defined an "age X mileage" formula for free replacement of any failed rear shock on the Venture. You know, something FAIR, like 5 years or 50,000 miles.....whichever comes LAST. But instead, they've let this situation fester for a decade!!

In my mind, they've put a huge stain on the marque by making owners bear the cost of this failure in such dramatic numbers and NOT having a generous, standard replacement policy in place.

It doesn't take much time on this site or conversation with many Venture riders to discover that the failure of the Venture rear mono-shock....in many cases repeated failure.....is of "epidemic" proportions and should have been addressed in Japan YEARS ago.

Shame on you, Yamaha.

Michael Scott

• 1 month later...

I just replaced my old worn out original shock (96K miles) on my '04 RSV. Yes, it was way overdue, decided to go with an OEM, got it at Partzilla.com for $456.41 including shipping.

I didn't have to remove the rear tire, but used a m/c and a floor jack which helped a lot. Removed all the shock brackets and greased the needle bearings also.

Haven't ridden it yet, but sitting on it feels better.

QUESTION: Does the OEM shock come pre-oiled? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been tryin for awhile for someone to send me their crapped out shock on a second gen.

:confused24:

Note:

Contrary to belief, a 2nd gen will bottom out when hitting a 1 inch pot hole at 35 mph with 0 psi in rear shock. Being height challenged (29" inseam 223 lbs.) I didn't want to raise the rear of the bike by adding pressure. Although, it would seem, I must, to avoid bottoming out.

I haven't bottomed out since adding 30 psi and it is holding steady.

I had one go out about 26K on venture . Cant' you just replace with a non air shock?? I've had 5 of these and never once did I adjust it. The replacement was $750 for the shock and $150 in labor there's gotta be a cheaper way

Well, G (is that short for George......or Gary......maybe Geronimo?).....I can't recall exactly what I spent on my excellent Hagon shock......and I'm pretty sure the price I paid started with a 3......maybe a 4, at worst.

Certainly didn't start with a SEVEN!

You're looking at the wrong product, in my humble opinion. (See my post from 07-26-2011, 02:53 PM, for additional comments and pictures.)

This whole subject of rear shock replacement on the Venture (to ME at least) continues to speak to the abomination that is Yamaha's treatment of the entire situation.

Yamaha Engineering......give yourself a huge spanking......and just send money! (Or free replacement shocks........as long as they're not "factory" ones!)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh real bummer to read this thread. I just bought the venture after spending over a grand in shock improvements on the Roadstar. Ended up with the adjustable 465 progressive and that wasn't even quite enough so I moved to a venture thinking it was more built for touring.

Now I'm going to be fighting a rear shock again?

Mine has 9500 mikes on it. Now taking predictions on when its going to go. Sad face.

Oh real bummer to read this thread. I just bought the venture after spending over a grand in shock improvements on the Roadstar. Ended up with the adjustable 465 progressive and that wasn't even quite enough so I moved to a venture thinking it was more built for touring.

Now I'm going to be fighting a rear shock again?

Mine has 9500 mikes on it. Now taking predictions on when its going to go. Sad face.

Don't "take predictions", buddy......MAKE BETS!! And, bet AGAINST the shock; try to win enough money to pay for a good one!

Only problem with these things is, they're inconsistent as hell. As you can see from this long thread, some guys seem to "luck out" and have them last for a decade. Others are replaced 2 or 3 times within the 5yr warranty.

It's a crap shoot...at best. I wish you luck!

Mike

Yea I hear ya. Its just scary when expensive things crap out hundreds of mikes from home and your at the mercy of a local dealer or supplies. A rider just paid $600 in Ohio for a rear tire installed. At three months old the tread started to separate from the tire he lived 300 mikes from where it was put on.

A shock problem would ruin a weeks vacation.

...Now I'm going to be fighting a rear shock again?

Mine has 9500 mikes on it. Now taking predictions on when its going to go.

Keep in mind there was no option for choosing having to replace the shock ZERO times. Of the people that have replaced their shock... most people said once.

• 2 weeks later...

approximately 41,000 miles on my 02 midnight, last week it sprang the dreaded overnight oil the garage floor syndrome. I bought the venture with 28,000 on it a little over 2 years ago.

Ruining vacation, tell me about it, I started 2 weeks last saturday. Found a used shock parted off an 07 with 24k on it. i know its a risk that the used shock might do the same thing 3 days after I put it on but at the moment it is the least expensive alternative. Given that a deer bone ruined a 6 week old rear E3 tire the day before.

Shock according to USPS should arrive today. I am hoping for the tire store to call to say my replacement arrives today or tomorrow, so may still get to do some riding on vacation on my bike yet. Going darkside this time. Was thinking about it when I changed the tire in may but didnt have time to research it then. Decided this was an opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...
approximately 41,000 miles on my 02 midnight, last week it sprang the dreaded overnight oil the garage floor syndrome. I bought the venture with 28,000 on it a little over 2 years ago.

Ruining vacation, tell me about it, I started 2 weeks last saturday. Found a used shock parted off an 07 with 24k on it. i know its a risk that the used shock might do the same thing 3 days after I put it on but at the moment it is the least expensive alternative. Given that a deer bone ruined a 6 week old rear E3 tire the day before.

Shock according to USPS should arrive today. I am hoping for the tire store to call to say my replacement arrives today or tomorrow, so may still get to do some riding on vacation on my bike yet. Going darkside this time. Was thinking about it when I changed the tire in may but didnt have time to research it then. Decided this was an opportunity.

So how is the car tire working out?

So far I am happy with it, only put about 500 miles on so far. I had planned on riding down to natchez this morning but didn't like the looks of the radar for a large area between me and Mississippi. Been a really mess up vacation. Haven't ridden Near as much as I wanted to. Would like to do a thousand mile something this week but weather is crap in directions I had plans for.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

'03 RSV with 63,000 on it. Leaked out at 61,000. Just ordered a factory replacement 4XY-22210-00-00 Partzilla for $490 delivered. The Works replacement shock doesn't have air assist. Riding from 1X up to two up with trailer warrants air assist, in my mind. Compared to autos / trucks, how many vehicles can go 10 years without shock replacements ? Not too many. Only prob is the $ discrepancy when comparing them. Riding without oil is not an option.

Is it summer yet ?? :mytruck:

how many vehicles can go 10 years without shock replacements ? Not too many. Only prob is the $ discrepancy when comparing them. Riding without oil is not an option.

Is it summer yet ?? :mytruck:

Yeah, John.

You got that "discrepancy" part right.

For the price of ONE new Venture shock you can buy TWO entire MacPherson struts for most automobiles. Pathetic.

Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnn, Spring!!