IGNORED

Won't go forward

What happened? I took off my wheels and had new tires mounted. Got it all back together, backed into the street, put it in first, but when I let the clutch out it bound up like when you forget to release the parking brake on your car. With the clutch in, or in neutral, it moves freely. I've done this before and never had any trouble. Any ideas?

just an uneducated guess...

did you have the driveshaft off?

I saw in another thread that it is possible to put the driveshaft in BESIDE the actual connection.

That would explain why it is free in neutral or with clutch engaged but binds up otherwise.....

I THINK:think:

Hopefully someone who actually knows what they are talking about will chime in soon!

just an uneducated guess...

did you have the driveshaft off?

I saw in another thread that it is possible to put the driveshaft in BESIDE the actual connection.

That would explain why it is free in neutral or with clutch engaged but binds up otherwise.....

I THINK:think:

Hopefully someone who actually knows what they are talking about will chime in soon!

Thanks, I'm going to pull it all apart again tommorow. Thought everything slid in okay after I greased the splines. Maybe not. Correction,diffenitely not.

That would make sense. At least I won't have to read the manual to get it apart this time since I just did it. Huh, that doesn't make me feel any better! I'll let you know tommorow how it turns out.

Going to be having a new rear tire put on today, and pulling the shaft to lube it.

I wonder if I can get it back together (right) the first time... :080402gudl_prv:

(reminder to self to check all the brake pads before the 4000 mile rt to Cody).

I had the same sort of thing happen a couple years ago when I removed my rear tire to change it. I put the brake mount or whatever that "loose triangle shaped piece is called" wrong. It pushed out fine but once a load was put on it seized up.

Sooo, today I removed the rear wheel again and sure enough, the drive shaft didn't mate, it was off to the side. But when I tried to get it in place it just wouldn't mesh. It was hanging downward and when I moved it, it just fell into the same place again. Long story short, I put it in gear idling and kept trying until I hit it just right. What a pain in the butt. Well it's back together and everything works. I've got a little less hair now but oh well.

again...I'm just telling you what I read...not what I know.

There is supposed to be a small hole where you can put a wire to hold the drive shaft while you mount it.

I'd provide the thread where I read that but I can't find it now!!!:bang head:

oh... so that's why they're so slow... :stickpoke: :Laugh:

Yep they's slow.... but those 2ndGens just think they're faster....

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dGerwl_bpjg/TWGF_7ZkMCI/AAAAAAAAHww/cqS-qbSqXjM/s1600/the-tortoise-and-the-hare.JPG&sa=X&ei=0lgeTqOUD-fZiALmvemZAw&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFNdX7EuMyCcyskTDiNYzAvYpbnSw

again...I'm just telling you what I read...not what I know.

There is supposed to be a small hole where you can put a wire to hold the drive shaft while you mount it.

I'd provide the thread where I read that but I can't find it now!!!:bang head:

You are right Trader. There is a small gray plastic cover on the top side of the tube where the shaft slips back in. It is easier to access with the left side bag removed. The first time I did it, I have an assistant to lift the 'junction' for me to slisp the shaft in the right place. I do it by feel and one can tell if it slides in the correct spot or just sitting crooked inside.

Good Luck and I hope you can slide it in the first try.

:fingers-crossed-emo

Sooo, today I removed the rear wheel again and sure enough, the drive shaft didn't mate, it was off to the side. But when I tried to get it in place it just wouldn't mesh. It was hanging downward and when I moved it, it just fell into the same place again. Long story short, I put it in gear idling and kept trying until I hit it just right. What a pain in the butt. Well it's back together and everything works. I've got a little less hair now but oh well.

That sounds real scarrrrrry. I do not think I would try to assemble a piece of machinery while it is running.

But glad you got it back together and still have all of your fingers.

That sounds real scarrrrrry. I do not think I would try to assemble a piece of machinery while it is running.

But glad you got it back together and still have all of your fingers.

I dont think he said he still has ALL his fingers...:Avatars_Gee_George:

he might be too embarrased to admit it....lets hope he is fine.:beer: