IGNORED

Crunch....My Fault

etcswjoe

Got home early today and my daughter wanted to go for a ride, not 20 mins into the ride a car stopped real quick and smack. My fault and I got a ticket for going too fast for conditions. Not a scratch on the car I hit. My daughter hit her knee and elbow when the bike fell over.

What I learned.

1. Thank God for steel toe boots otherwise mine foot would either be broke or gone.

2. Engine and Bag rails are worth the cost.

3. Full gear keeps away road rash.

4. 2 seconds behind a vehicle is too close for me.

5. You can never have too much breaking practice.

The State Trooper and witnesses said I probably could not have done anything different to prevent it, however there is always something.

Any suggestions on what I could or should have been doing and don't be afraid to hurt my feelings.

Looks like I am not going to be doing any riding for awhile and dealing with insurance.

Joe,

I am SO sorry this happened to you and your daughter..but am very happy you both are OK..

If you need help working on it let me know.

I brought a lot of tools with me.... and very little brain..(ok, kidding.... I think...).

I know you had your heart set on going to Greenville Saturday with Sleeperhawk too.

Gosh I feel so sorry for you.

Not sure if your forks are bent...they could be..:confused24:

Sorry about the accident.

You know there are only two kinds of motorcycle riders..... those that have wrecked and those that will.

If I were going to give you any advice, like I have a right to give anybody advice. I would just say to do what it says on the back of the car......FOCUS.

Take care and good luck with the insurance company.

Later

Kent

Joe,

I am SO sorry this happened to you and your daughter..but am very happy you both are OK..

If you need help working on it let me know.

I brought a lot of tools with me.... and very little brain..(ok, kidding.... I think...).

I know you had your heart set on going to Greenville Saturday with Sleeperhawk too.

Gosh I feel so sorry for you.

Not sure if your forks are bent...they could be..:confused24:

Thanks we still may drive up to Greenville and meet up for lunch. The bike road ok on the way home but the wheel did hit the grill hard enough to crack it so it probably did damage the forks. The insurance company wants me to get an estimate before the adjuster looks at it.

Really glad it wasn't worse and everyone is OK. And three cheers for good riding gear! Two seconds is OK if you're 25 and race every second weekend, but as we get older and slow down a bit (Not implying that either of us is "old" - more like "oldish", right? Right?) it's a good thing to give ourselves a bit more time to react, if possible. My riding club has a "three second rule" on our group rides and, while it does occasionally get us spread out a bit, it gives us more time to act in the event of an emergency. The only problem I've had with that is the occasional cager who figures he (or she) is OK to "squeeze in" between the bikes to make that next (sudden) turn that they suddenly realized they needed to do. But then again, those nits would probably "not see us" and move in anyway. At least this way I can start braking as soon as they move - and wish that I had a Star Trek phaser mounted on the front of the bike to remove some "excess" metal from their car.

There are only three ways to do what you did. Follow too close. Ride too fast for conditions. Not pay close enough attention. You can usually get away with doing one of those things, but as soon as you add a second.....

It's good no one got hurt bad. How does your daughter feel about it? Will she get back on?

There are only three ways to do what you did. Follow too close. Ride too fast for conditions. Not pay close enough attention. You can usually get away with doing one of those things, but as soon as you add a second.....

It's good no one got hurt bad. How does your daughter feel about it? Will she get back on?

I did not ask, however she wanted to ride back home with me but I made her ride in the car with her Mom so I guess that answers that question.

I may have been guilty of all three.. to use an overused saying "I hope others can learn from my mistakes.

Glad you two came out of it ok. You can prepare for many different scenarios but sometimes you just cant predict what the other person is going to ultimately do.

The important thing is that both you and the daughter walked away from this. Experience is the best teacher so get the scoot fixed and ride on !!

Boomer....who sez riding 1000% defensively is a real pain but knows that's the only way to survive the dangers we face when riding.

Reminder of how important it is to watch the ride like a pro series. "when approaching an intersection always have the front & rear brake covered". I believe he claims it saves 1 second by just having your fingers and foot covering the brake vs reaching up then applying it. I cannot wait to get my videos. Click play on this link for a preview.

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/dvds/surviving-the-mean-streets

First and most importantly I am very glad you are both ok.

Your daughter sounds a lot like mine... She'd have wanted to ride back with me.

I like riding bikes as the more I ride, the more defensively I drive my car. Must be that vulnerable feeling carring over.

All in all it turned out to be a great day, noone was hurt, the bike can be fixed, someone here just may slow down and avoid an accident and you, will definately leave a little more distance between vehicles. I know it reminded me to...:whistling:

I generaly try to use the truckers 6 second rule. It usually gives you enough time to stop no matter what. Thats not to say I am perfect and follow it everytime without fail just that I usually try to.

I never, till now, heard of this rule but I practice it pretty diligently! I ride every day and try to keep my head on a swivel. I am constantly amazed at how close everyone in traffic will follow each other no matter what the speed. If one starts focusing on this it does not take long to realize how 3 car pileups occur. I am surprised that its not 4 or 5 car pileups. I cannot imagine where everyone thinks they can get to quickly by being on someones bumper.

I taught my daughter and my girlfriend's daughter both how to drive and they both practice that 6 second rule. I just about beat it into them. I carry it a step further when coming to a stop in traffic by always leaving space between me, usually at least a car length, and the car in front of me. Just so no one thinks I have this holier than thou mentality it took a few accidents on my part, fortunately in a cage, to gain this "wisdom"!

Joe, having my own daughter who loves to ride with me, I am so thankful that you two are ok! It says a lot about you also to step up to the forum here and share! Hopefully we all learned a little more from your experience. My daughter and I will be at the South Carolina M&E this Saturday. Looking forward to meeting you!!

I like to keep a good distance from the vehicle in front of me...especially on super slabs. But you know that any time I do, some idiot figures there's a break for him to swerve into my lane and fill the gap.

So I back off again to gain the space...and the result is I'm slowing down, so more people go around and fill ithe gap I'm trying to create.

You can't win sometimes!