IGNORED

So, a man walks into the service department...

Dave77459

I would at least ask the dealer if new rings are being included on all cylinders.

Even if the new rings are not included it may be worth it in the long haul to buy a set of rings for them to install. There should be no change in the labor since it might even save them some time by not having to remove and clean the old rings.

It might also be a good time to look at whether it would be prudent for a valve job while the heads are off anyhow.

I'll bet that checking the valve shims is a lot easier with the engine out.

What else would be good to look into while it is apart?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having an 05 RSTD, bought new in 06, I still have 6 months left on my warrenty, and I've been following this very closely.

I think your smart in saying very little. I'm sure they are watching this thread also.

BUT, I can't believe with things breaking INSIDE the motor, that they wouldn't replace the entire motor. I mean, think about all of the pieces that let loose and were going all over inside.

I'm thinking you'll have lots to say when it's all over,

BTW, I also read it before going to the pics.

BEST of luck to you,

Steve

Just to chime in here a bit, Dave's engine was a fluke, this is only the second time I have ever heard of a Venture engine blowing up. I highly doubt any of you fellas with similar TD's or RSV's have anything to worry about. These engine have proven bulletproof reliability, Dave just was on the unlucky end of this one.

Sounds to me like you are getting the exact same deal that I did from Yamaha.

Except for seeming like it took forever, I have no real complaints. I would like to offer a couple points to consider based on what happened to me.

Even though they are going to have your engine scattered from here to yonder, remember that after it is back together, a carb sync is still a routine maintenance item and not covered by the warranty. Specifically ask them to do a sync (and pay for it) or check it as soon as you get home. I found mine out by 7 inches and did my own when I got home.

Same situation with the air filters. Maintenance item, not covered. Only difference is I didn't get a choice whether to take them or not. Not really a problem, just a bill before picking up the bike.

When my engine went, I was at 60 MPH and fully loaded. I was in a full rear wheel locked skid untill stopped. A couple months after getting the bike back, my rear tire (with around 3000 miles) started shedding big chunks of rubber. Was it because of the heat of the skid? Won't say for sure because it was a Metzler, but you may want to consider a new rear tire just to be safe.

Other that that, Yamaha did me right! :thumbsup2:

• 4 weeks later...
Any news? :confused24: :)

What an auspicious posting! You see, today is exactly two months since I walked into the dealership. :(

I had been told a month ago that they had the OK from Yamaha to repair Roxie. The dealer at that time said it would be 3-4 weeks. Last week, I asked for an update, since it had been 3 weeks.

I was told that they had the cases and crankshaft and rods in and measured for all the bearings. The bearings were on order, and should arrive "next Tuesday," that is, tomorrow. After that, they reckon it will take a week to assemble Roxie. Unless they need more parts.

So, the new, updated best case estimate is next Tuesday.

With luck, I'll be able to ride to the Leakey meetup on Tax Day. At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

Dave

What an auspicious posting! You see, today is exactly two months since I walked into the dealership. :(

I had been told a month ago that they had the OK from Yamaha to repair Roxie. The dealer at that time said it would be 3-4 weeks. Last week, I asked for an update, since it had been 3 weeks.

I was told that they had the cases and crankshaft and rods in and measured for all the bearings. The bearings were on order, and should arrive "next Tuesday," that is, tomorrow. After that, they reckon it will take a week to assemble Roxie. Unless they need more parts.

So, the new, updated best case estimate is next Tuesday.

With luck, I'll be able to ride to the Leakey meetup on Tax Day. At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

Dave

Well at least they seem to be following through with the rebuild and everything. I too would be awfully skeptical until I saw the final product. Hopefully all will stay on track and whatnot. I wonder if you can get some sort of 'extended' warranty/guarantee on the rebuild since it is being done and you are so close to the end of your warranty period.

:080402gudl_prv:

Well at least they seem to be following through with the rebuild and everything. I too would be awfully skeptical until I saw the final product. Hopefully all will stay on track and whatnot. I wonder if you can get some sort of 'extended' warranty/guarantee on the rebuild since it is being done and you are so close to the end of your warranty period.

:080402gudl_prv:

Ha ha! Good point. It looks like my bike might be done next Tuesday, which is 4/5. My warranty expires 4/6.

Coincidence? :scratchchin:

Dave

Ha ha! Good point. It looks like my bike might be done next Tuesday, which is 4/5. My warranty expires 4/6.

Dave

If it is like all the other warranties I've had to administer, you will have "warranty" for one day. Anything after would be called "policy" or "goodwill". You might wanna see if anyone offers an extended (really an insurance policy) warranty for tha bike.

If it is like all the other warranties I've had to administer, you will have "warranty" for one day. Anything after would be called "policy" or "goodwill". You might wanna see if anyone offers an extended (really an insurance policy) warranty for tha bike.

^^I completely understand the rationale from the business perspective and the fact that the warranty good dates are pretty clearly set as is. But boy oh boy, I would be nervous about it...

Dave

Yikes. Maybe a call to Yamaha customer service voicing the concerns; even if it is just for a 90 day 'workmanship guarantee' or whatever you want to call it. :yikes:

Or at least see what the shops NORMAL policy is on guaranteeing their work.

I am floored they did not just provide a assembly. Would seem like their best route would have been to have the blown engine as an assembly to investigate. I had a 225 HP Evinrude that had an internal vacuum leak. "JUST A VACUUM LEAK" and BRP didnt mess with it. They provided a fully dressed long block to the dealer and ordered the fully dressed long block returned for them to tear down. 3 week turn around and I had a brand new fully dressed long block ready to go. I have to be honest that this is not the only thread I have seen that makes me "slightly" nervous about the warranty on my bike. :whistling:

Dave

Carefull they may keep it a few days just to make sure your warranty is over :think: :stirthepot:

:rotf:

Brad

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Dave, any updates??

I spoke with the dealer last week. They had the lower end reassembled, and discovered that a part they'd planned to reuse was actually damaged. They were waiting on the part to arrive; they thought it would come that day (Wednesday). After that, "it shouldn't take long... unless we need another part."

This Friday marks the three month anniversary of Roxie throwing a rod.

Dave

Wow, indeed sad News !! I'm sorry to hear it's taking them so long.

I'm not willing to hurt you in any Way, but, when you combine the downside of of having the Bike out of Duty for such a long Time and the Bill the Dealer will present you, i'd rather have a used Engine mounted and be riding around since 9 Weeks or so. Probably at around the same Price ...

With not having the complete details I cannot comment too much on this, BUT am watching it closely. I, like many others here, still am under factory warranty, and have a concern that "if" something happens to "my" bike...................will it be down for 3 months + ???? I am not excited about the thought of making bike payments and missing our riding season. Will be nice to see the final outcome. I just hope in the end the op dont get taken to the cleaners.

I didn't read all 12 pages....

so i apologize if my question was answered amongst them..

Why didn't they just replace the engine, instead of REBUILDING it?? seems time & parts wise that would have been the prudent decision on their part, and for your to get you rolling much quicker. ????

I didn't read all 12 pages....

so i apologize if my question was answered amongst them..

Why didn't they just replace the engine, instead of REBUILDING it?? seems time & parts wise that would have been the prudent decision on their part, and for your to get you rolling much quicker. ????

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find it has enough value to splash out the whopping $12 to be a paid member.

To answer your question, I don't have an answer. It is clearly a business decision, and Yamaha has their own practices. I have heard that Yamaha doesn't supply complete engines. (That was on the previous page of this discussion.)

Your view would make sense from the manufacturer's perspective, but not from the dealer's. If I were a dealer, I would want to make $80/hour (or whatever) on 80 hours of labor rather than on 20 hours of labor. A complete engine goes in too quickly, requires less handling, etc. Too, if you get a markup on parts, why would you buy a complete package at a discount?

I should point out that this is still being handled as a warranty repair. As such, I don't expect to pay anything.

Thanks all for your well wishes.

Dave

Your a better man than I am Dave. I would've been rattling a whole lot of cages a long time ago. your whole situation reminds me of a bunch of big high school bullies kicking around a grade schooler for his milk money simply because they weren't satisfied with just his lunch money.

It seems as though the old mentality of "the customer is always right", (which is something I never really agreed with anyway), is long gone. And now the attitude of far to many businesses seems to be to take advantage of the customer however they can.

JMHO,

Bill

P.S. I hope the work they're doing for you keep you on the road for many thousands of miles to come.