IGNORED

So, a man walks into the service department...

Dave77459

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find it has enough value to splash out the whopping $12 to be a paid member.

I should point out that this is still being handled as a warranty repair. As such, I don't expect to pay anything.

Thanks all for your well wishes.

Dave

I am very happy to hear Yamaha is repairing your bike under the warranty. It sounded like it took a long time for Yamaha to make that decision.

:080402gudl_prv:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very happy to hear Yamaha is repairing your bike under the warranty. It sounded like it took a long time for Yamaha to make that decision.

:080402gudl_prv:

It took about a month to make that decision. Actual repairs have taken almost two months.

Good news of a sort: I called and they said all the parts had arrived. They are presently reassembling ("it is on the bench now"), but the man I spoke to had no estimate of how long that would take. I could call and talk to the service manager (he was at lunch), but I have given over to a sense of fatalism.

Dave

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find it has enough value to splash out the whopping $12 to be a paid member.

Dave

i don't own a RSV...my fiance' does. But I do have & ride my own bike. I just signed up to pillage & plunder ;), then quietly depart thru the back door. :D

It took about a month to make that decision. Actual repairs have taken almost two months.

Good news of a sort: I called and they said all the parts had arrived. They are presently reassembling ("it is on the bench now"), but the man I spoke to had no estimate of how long that would take. I could call and talk to the service manager (he was at lunch), but I have given over to a sense of fatalism.

Dave

Dave,

I stopped by today to drop off my 'non-battery charging low rider' and saw them diligently working on roxie... There is still hope!

:innocent:

Dave,

I stopped by today to drop off my 'non-battery charging low rider' and saw them diligently working on roxie... There is still hope!

:innocent:

:happy65::happy65:

Hope it all goes well for you Dave upon the return of your bike and the many miles to follow. What an adventure...

• 2 weeks later...
So are you still bikeless or what?

I am, although Owen visited her and she had 20 miles on the new engine. However, she had popping on decel that they were figuring out. I had taken her to a different dealer 6 months ago because there was a leak in the left exhaust collection chamber that I wanted fixed under warranty because there was popping, but they claimed they couldn't find the obvious leak. Maybe this place could find it.

BTW, she's been in the shop 3 months now.

Dave

/ Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I am, although Owen visited her and she had 20 miles on the new engine. However, she had popping on decel that they were figuring out. I had taken her to a different dealer 6 months ago because there was a leak in the left exhaust collection chamber that I wanted fixed under warranty because there was popping, but they claimed they couldn't find the obvious leak. Maybe this place could find it.

Dave

At least someone is getting to ride her.........:stickpoke:

But seriously, what is a normal amount of miles that one would expect a dealer to put on a vehicle after this type of major job?

It sure sound like it is getting close to time for a homecoming party.

3 Months is a long time to be with out a vehicle. Every time I ever took in a cage for warranty work and they had to keep it overnight, they gave me a loaner. Has anyone ever asked for a loaner while a bike was in the shop for major work? After all you are still paying for insurance, and possibly making payments.

Dave

Oh boy. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they'll shake off all of those pygmies before they get it back to you... :confused24: I guess the upside is that it has been covered under warranty, eh?

/ Sent from my pooter using my fingers and keyboard

Dave

Both my exhaust collectors leak, but I have no popping interestingly enough. They both leak from the Crimp. Where the crimp is makes a little square shape. You can see some black on the pipe surface inside and behind the square and you can feel it blowing exhaust on your hand.

I actually had some popping, left side only. I pulled the carbs (they had been off before by someone else) to put the bowls back on correctly. While I was in there I checked things out, everything looked pretty clean, pulled the jets and inspected them and pulled the needle valves and seats.

On the left side carbs I noticed some light corrosion in the carb body where the brass seat pushes in. The seat orings had "prints" that corresponded to the corrosion. The seats with the oem orings are a loose fit for lack of a better term. You can't get new orings from Yamaha with out buying seats. I had some of the green orings in an Automotive AC oring pack for doing 134a conversions, slightly larger than the stock ones but fit and mad the seat more snug in the body. Polished up the carb body openings where the seat pushes in and replaced the orings on all 4 seats with the green AC ones. I also reset the float height per Goose's write up. These are the only two things I did. Re-installed the carbs, didn't even sync them since my sticks need servicing. No more popping. So whether I was getting some fuel past the seat oring(s) or just the float height letting it over fuel a bit on decel I'm not sure. I do know that checking those two things cured my pop and that's with currently leaking collectors.

Someone else had pulled the mixture caps and richened the bike in a previous attempt to cure it.

Glad to see your bike is getting fixed under warranty. I used to work for a multi-line dealer back in the early 90's. Yamaha then was real good about repairs, even goodwill repairs on out of warranty products. I used to see the regional Service Rep several times a year. He even spent 3 days with me diagnosing a transient noise in a Yamaha PWC. Unit was just over a year old. Sounded like a bearing noise. We had put a new pump in it, driveline bearings, swapped motors, etc. Nothing cured the noise. Best guess was something in the hull lay up. They replaced it with a brand new one even though his unit was technically out of warranty. Of course that was then and this now.

Anyway would be interested in hearing the official diagnosis of the cause of failure on your bike. I can tell you I don't recall us ever taking 3 months to fix a bike, that's excessive IMO. We had a CBR1000 Honda that was burning oil at the first service (600 miles). Short version, we diagnosed it had a casting flaw in the valve guide. Have to pull the motor to R& R the head. No heads in the US. BIke was the guys primary transportation. Honda overnighted the head from Japan (actually took about 2 days). That bike was down less than 10 days IIRC. OF course that was then and this is now.

Good luck with everything.

RSTDdog

• 7 years later...