IGNORED

Question for the Northerners!

Sleeperhawks Mechanic

Considering it is a balmy 21 degrees here this morning in South Carolina with an expected low of 16 degrees in the morning, I know that it is really, really cold up north. :cold::snow2::snow:

With that in mind, do you have issues with your automatic garage door openers being able to function in the extreme cold? Do you have automatic garage door openers specifically designed for cold weather or just keep your garage heated? :scratchchin:

Just a want to know from me! :)

Stay warm,

Bobbie

it is -13F here in FDL, WI this morning.

Nice toasty 50F in the garage. It has a larger furnace than my first house (although my first house was in NC).

Had to go out and start the wife's truck this morning since there is no room in the garage for her. My truck, my bikes, and the '72 Buick Skylark take up the 3 stalls. Life is good.

RR

Considering it is a balmy 21 degrees here this morning in South Carolina with an expected low of 16 degrees in the morning' date=' I know that it is really, really cold up north. :cold::snow2::snow:[/font']

With that in mind, do you have issues with your automatic garage door openers being able to function in the extreme cold? Do you have automatic garage door openers specifically designed for cold weather or just keep your garage heated? :scratchchin:

Just a want to know from me! :)

Stay warm,

Bobbie

Nope,just what ever is available.The only problem I've had with mine is i broke a spring last summer.Yours is probably so use to those balmy temps there that the darn thing went into shock when the temps dropped below 40.:rotf:

nope my garage door opened in any weather, up to and incuding -40,.....but you have to use thinner greases on any slides, rollers etc. a few years ago i was in a new to me house where the previous owner had used a thck wheel bearing grease on the slide that the chain pull was running on and my door opener didnt work. I basically sprayed the suspect areas with wd40 to dilute the thick grease and i was fine in no time.

BTW i noticed this morning that you all in GA were colder than us up here in Saskatchewan were. I feel sorry for ya, if youre not ready for the cold it feels worse than it really is.

Brian

-12 below this morning in here North Iowa!! We have a furnace vent that goes into our garage. In temps like this...the garage is at about 58 degrees.

The only problem we have is when it starts thawing a little, then freezing again. The door sticks on the cement a little. I just give the bottom of the door a little friendly kick...and it's usually enough to open it!

Jeez, with this much snow and the freezing temps....it's gonna be a long winter hibernating.

Our garage door works great! :thumbsup2: I just get these wild questions in my head about certain thing, just a curious mind! Poor George, he has to listen to my questions!!! :rotf:

Why do you ask?? Is your garage door going down then immediately coming up again? If so, the ground under the door has buckled and rose from freezing. Yes, it can lift concrete up slightly. You may have to adjust the limit switch a little so it stops sooner...

(Quote): Our garage door works great! I just get these wild questions in my head about certain thing, just a curious mind!

So Bobbie, speaking of curious minds, why would you think the garage door opener would act differently in cold weather or differently then any other electric motor when it is cold?

Your garage door opener is just an electric motor, same as your electric / gas dryer motor, your house furnace fan motor, the garbage disposal motor, a basic house fan motor, or just like the heater fan motor in your car...except for voltage - 12volts, 110volts, 220volts..etc.

Electric motors all act the same in cold or hot weather. They either run or they don't.

I guess my curiosity about your question is what part of the garage door opener do you think would act differently in the cold?

Poor George, he has to listen to my questions!!!

Hey George,

I feel for you my friend, but I think you and I are in the same boat at times...:whistling:

Just kidding..:innocent:

Guest scarylarry

Lube the rollers, I do mine monthly also put a deicer around the weather strip so it won't freeze to the ground and pull it off....DO NOT USE SALT..

Outside of this you are good to go....

I've got an old (30 years) steel door and it definitely creaks and groans more when it's real cold. In cold weather it also rains in the garage when it's opened because all the condensation from the heater drips off it.

New door was delivered today. It's insulated at R17, which is about what the walls of the house have. Should do away with the rain and lower the gas bill.

i never had one that called for lube or grease of any kind if you would use it all your doing if anything is making a paste that the dirt and dust will collect in and would cause more problems than good

if your door dont work or is binding something is out of adjustment find the problem and fix it

Guest scarylarry
i never had one that called for lube or grease of any kind if you would use it all your doing if anything is making a paste that the dirt and dust will collect in and would cause more problems than good

if your door dont work or is binding something is out of adjustment find the problem and fix it

So the roller bearings in the guides don't need oiling?

Ive had a couple that used a tube or I-channel that the chain or belt connector slid back and forth on. Also the bushing on the side or bottom of the unit where the pulley is running on needs some light oil as well.

All that stuff with grease on just gets sticky, not slippery at -30 or below.

Brian