IGNORED

New guy with questions

Guest Tinman

Guest Tinman

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 20 years old back in 1967. I have almost always ridden standard bikes like a Triumph Tiger 650, a BMW R79/6 (I think!) a Honda Shadow, and now a 2000 Sportster 1200 Custom. My wife no longer drives her own bike, and I have been selfish for the last few years and haven't given up my HD to get something she can ride on behind me. My search for a truly comfy bike has led here. Every review seems to say the same couple of things - the bike is super comfortable, smooth and powerful - and weighs a TON! I am 63 in pretty good shape, but am I getting in over my head here? I'm 6ft even, and weigh about 260. Can I handle this beautiful monster?:confused07:

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 20 years old back in 1967. I have almost always ridden standard bikes like a Triumph Tiger 650, a BMW R79/6 (I think!) a Honda Shadow, and now a 2000 Sportster 1200 Custom. My wife no longer drives her own bike, and I have been selfish for the last few years and haven't given up my HD to get something she can ride on behind me. My search for a truly comfy bike has led here. Every review seems to say the same couple of things - the bike is super comfortable, smooth and powerful - and weighs a TON! I am 63 in pretty good shape, but am I getting in over my head here? I'm 6ft even, and weigh about 260. Can I handle this beautiful monster?:confused07:

in one word.... YES!

I am 63, weigh appx 155 lbs, been riding for as long as you have although I've been riding the bigger style touring bikes for many years but considering your size and that you say you're in pretty good shape, you should have no problem. It may take you a bit of practise to get used to the size and weight and handling characteristics tho but you will. Once you become "one" with the RSV, I'm sure you both will love it.

I've already had my 29th er 39th er anyway I've had a few birthdays and you will love it just take some time to get to know it. Low speed practice!! It does weigh a ton. Practice turning and low speed stuff and you will be fine. Just have to stop and wait on your Hardley buddies once in a while.

The RSV is basically the same weight as a big HD dresser or a Honda Refrigerator (Wing) - but it looks a lot better than the Honda and is WAY more comfortable than both of them for tall riders.

If the RSV has stock Brickstone tires, it will FEEL MUCH HEAVIER at parking lot speeds, but this is very easily fixed with decent tires and by raising the rear 1" with shorter suspension struts.

Goose

Should be no problem! I'm 63 and 5'6" with a 27" inseam. Yeah, it has tipped over a couple of times, but when a 900lb bike gets to a certain point, unless you are Clark Kent/Superman, I don't care HOW big you are it is going over.

AND :welcome1:to this asylum!!!

I found out that a very important issue to me was stopping correctly and not tipping over. To do so, I always stop with the front wheel pointing straight ahead. Stopping with the wheel pointing in either direction relays the weight of this heavy Bike to your arms and body and sometimes it's impossible to hold it up, and over you go. Also, I find that too heavy on the front brake makes for a less steady stop. But, just go with that Venture, because like I always say, There can't be a more enjoyable, comfortable motorcycle made! You'll love it also!

Tinman,

I'm 63 and 5'9" and 190lbs and I can handle one. Like you, I've been riding since the 1960's.

If you can't get a demo ride at a nearby dealer, let me know. I'll fix you up for a brief ride. I'm in Dahlonega. I have both a Tour Deluxe and a Venture.

I've been riding the Ventures for several years, I'm 65 and about 210 at the moment.

I've been riding since I was about 12 or so. The RSV is not a problem, you just have to pay attention to what you are doing and you'll do fine.

BOO

You will really like this bike. I am 64, long time rider, 6 foot and 220. I have a 1100 v-star silverado as well. The RS tour deluxe feels easier to ride than the 1100. The tour deluxe is my ride of choice, so I'm planning to sell the 2003 1100 in the near future. Take the plunge, good luck to you. :Venture: Bring her to the Great Smoky Mountains and enjoy the fall.

Put in another perspective, I've been OFF a scoot for 30 years and then jumped straight onto a RSV. Most of my teenage life , I ran many a dirt bike and last & only street bike I had was a Yamaha 360 RD. The wife will love the extra room and comfy seat. I'm 5'9" and 210 lbs.(pure Muscles !...cough-cough) Yes , a little more awkward for some at parking lot speeds,but I haven't had much issue with that. Just took a ERC recently and had nearly no problems on the course. But the course DID help improve those weak areas (that dreaded sharp "S" turns).

BEER30

You'll also see that the venture also can become a beautiful trike that you'll ride long inot your senior,senior years LOL! But go ahead with a little practice any bike can be handled well. I've seen women no more than a 150 lbs handling Harley full dressers and anyone can pick up one of these bikes using the proper technique, Butt on the seat and pushing up with your legs. Any health woman or man can do it so don't let that be an issue.:thumbsup2:

Guest Tinman

I'm impressed how so many folks have stepped up to welcome me and assure me that I'm making the right decision. I want to be so very careful not for myself, but for the wife. She is not in as good shape as I am (and I'm not 25 anymore either!) so if I go down she will not be able to help herself. I plan on several weeks of practice on the RSV before she ever gets on. Bottom line - THANKS A MILLION TO ALL.

"IN THE GAME OF LIFE, TAKE BIG BITES - MODERATION IS FOR MONKS!"

Robert A Heinlein

You wont have any trouble at all since you are not a short person. will say this though when a passenger gets on the bike becomes quite a bit heavier and harder to control when stopping. I just tell my wife to sit on the back like a statue and don't move when i am coming to a stop. So far so good! You will fall in love with the Venture, it is truly an amazing motorcycle and it rides like a dream.

This bike weighs A TON, until you take it over 5 MPH, and then it feels like you're riding a Vespa. Very light, and easy to control. I just went through the cones at my local course (just for fun), and I went through them like they were a mile apart.

You shouldn't have to worry. You'll be scared for the first week, then it'll feel like you're riding a 883 Sportster!!! But a lot better, lol!!!

Welcome!

You ought to take an ERC, (Experienced Riders Course). This will greatly improve your low speed handling ability and your confidence. After completing the ERC go back and do it again with your wife on-board. :080402gudl_prv:

:Venture:

I plan on several weeks of practice on the RSV before she ever gets on.

Just my :2cents: with the bike on the side stand the navigator gets on first and off last.

AND the comment about her being a statue at slow speeds is spot-on. My wife found out I knew of which I spoke as we went over last year at a meet in Newton MS. Thank goodness my windshield, the radio controller and my pride were the only casualties! :Avatars_Gee_George:

She turned around to wave at our daughter, just as I turned into the parking area. Don't think she will make that move again!!!

Just my :2cents: with the bike on the side stand the navigator gets on first and off last.

AND the comment about her being a statue at slow speeds is spot-on. My wife found out I knew of which I spoke as we went over last year at a meet in Newton MS. Thank goodness my windshield, the radio controller and my pride were the only casualties! :Avatars_Gee_George:

She turned around to wave at our daughter, just as I turned into the parking area. Don't think she will make that move again!!!

Almost forgot till Wes mentioned it, the passenger definitely gets on and off of the bike when the klickstand is down. My wife got on ours when we first bought it while i was sitting on the bike with the kickstand up and i came a hair of dumping the bike. It felt like an Elephant stepped up on the left floorbored of the bike, and she is not a heavy person either. That was the last time we made that mistake lol.

Guest Tinman

I had already figured out that the Chief Cheese was going to get on first, and get off last. The ERC sounds like a great idea, especially since the bike is so much bigger than any I have ever been on. I'll Google a time and location in Northwest Georgia. I'm going to start a new thread about what I need to look for in a used scoot, so I'll close this one for now. You have all made me feel very welcome, and I can't wait to meet some of you.

:Venture:

My Angel only gets on the bike when the kickstand is up, and I have both feet firmly planted, with a good grip on the bars. I feel I have more control this way, and I'm not lifting both our weight off of the stand. Not a biggie though, as she is tiny.

Guest tx2sturgis

The RSV is quite top heavy, and adding a passenger, it will be a handful.

Practice for many miles..( a couple weeks MINIMUM) before she ever gets on the bike, and especially if she is a heavier lady, instruct her to sit as motionless as she can at slow speeds and at stops.

Enjoy!