• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer!!

You and Lonna have a good head on your shoulder

It will get better

You two have always succeeded even with Lonna's Cheesecake

Where ever you two are I will eventually be there:thumbsup2:

I figure he better be ready for a Meet & Eat as soon as he get s moved in....:sign20:

sorry to here bout your luck, its bad here We live in south central mi., its not any better over here ,.our daughter has one more year of school then we can spread our wings and fly out of here,.OR VENTURE OUT,,But if u have lived in michigan for awhile the texas climate will kill u I was down there for 3 weeks moving heavy equpt. I bout died think I drank a gallon of gatorade a day or more,, lost weight too.central tenn. has a more temprate climate .lower cost of living .and for the most part speak english,if that makes any diff to u.,I never learned spanish, it makes it hard to talk to some one if u dont speak it.they only have 1 -2 monyhs of winterish weather nothing like what we have here ....lot of opertunities there. We are going there in a little over a year. PS it not as fast paced there like mi, either............. GOOD LUCK:337:

Brad & Lonna, I am realy sorry to hear about the job, you said you had a bad feeling about work. You will be missed throughout the region. I guess those 11hr round trips to your place will be a little longer now. Just remember you will always have an open door and a place to stay in Northern Ontario. To bad it is in the wrong direction, Good luck

Mark & Rachelle

Being where you want to be! Doing what you like to do! With the one you love by your side! Where there is a will a way will be made. East Tenn sure is a nice place. Making good money is important but so is having spare time. Make sure you get the right balance of both and life will be good.

I heard there is a town in Texas somplace ( forgot the name ) its where the build those huge windmills-- TV show about a year ago.

Word then was they were haveing hard time finding enough workers to build those things. I would think good Welders would be in demand there.

Texas guys might chime in on that one.

Also, word is Boeing is going to open up an Assembly Line for the New 787, somplace in North or South Carolina.

If your certified welder for Aircraft, maby check into that.

All Boeing hireing is done thru Chicago office I believe now.

... if u have lived in michigan for awhile the texas climate will kill u ... they only have 1 -2 monyhs of winterish weather nothing like what we have here ....lot of opertunities there. We are going there in a little over a year. PS it not as fast paced there like mi, either............. GOOD LUCK:337:

Sorry to hear about your situation; My dad had to shut down his business (in Garden City area -- west of Detroit) a few months ago thanks to some of the fantastic decisions made by Governor Granholm that is doing oh so many favors for small businesses (sarcasm at its finest...)

It stinks, but it seems like you've got the right attitude - Take advantage of every opportunity that is tossed your way (whether it seems good or bad) I know it may seem cliche but I firmly believe that stuff like this happens for a reason (some of which we may never know) and as long as you can keep your head up and eyes open you can pull through just fine.

As for a Michigander to Texan (I grew up in the midwest except for about 6 years half-way through when I lived in Georgia and Tennessee; for 4 years before I moved to Texas I lived in Marquette, MI up in the UP)... Well, this is my second summer in Texas and some days can be brutal (granted I am in the much much 'dryer' part - but it still gets darn hot... been over 100 at some point every day for the last week) BUT for 2-3 months of this heat throughout the year and beautiful weather for the rest of the year (except January/February -- it can get down to the 30s sometimes; even snow in the panhandle) It is okay by me.

My first summer here was rough and this one seems to be better so far. I am still not sure if it isn't as hot as it was last summer or if I am getting used to it... Either way it is still manageable.

On a final note, I see those windmill parts go down the road everyday so they are getting built somewhere around here!

Best of luck to you with whatever your future holds and I am looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks.

Gdspeed,

- Rick M.

Guess there is a good reason to be called a Canuck, it's just across the border, weather is about the same, we're on the same latitude as California, we do have some nice people over here,,, you can work here,,however,,do you want pay as well? and we do have houses to live in, along with teepee's and igloos,,,,,, the sun comes up in the morning and goes down in the evening, so you should feel at home,,, the government leaves you alone mostly, until they discover that you have something good on the go, and then they only want a small piece of it,, like yesterday, and then when they have their's they make sure they screw things up so that you have more reason to work...

All that aside, we are going to miss the cheesecake, and the company, but you'll still be around because of this site. If there is anything we can do to be of less assistance, just let us know.

I guess California is out of the question... Heck I'd like to get out of here myself!!... But, good luck to you both. Sounds like you already have some great job leads. Even in tough times good qualified men are hard to find. You two'll land on your feet and be better off for it.... :thumbsup2:

Hang in there, Squid. As others have said, for you and Lonna, this is I'm positive, a blessing in disguise. It sucks getting laid off - I was in Feb - but this will be an opportunity to find something beneficial for both of you. A man with your incredible technical/mechanical skills, leadership ability, and infectious personality, should be able to find something (reading these threads) in the areas you are considering. My good wishes go for Lonna as well. Barb and I have you and Lonna in our thoughts and prayers and if cycle therapy ever got you out this far, we've got room for ya for a while. :group cheers:

Hey Lonna And Brad, Just get over your post. Bro That's suck. Just that filling make you sick in stomach. Well, if you find some 2 flat in TN or TX, Lina and I will move over to split cost.

anyway I have good rear tire for next 40K miles :rotf::rotf: so I can Join you for Cycle teraphy.

Hey Ladies and Gents,

... Today I got the axe from work, ...

That certainly inhales sharply through pursed lips, Brad. Sounds pretty familiar too. I signed my "pink slip" this morning. They're shutting down the Indy Navistar plant on July 31st. We've known about it for a while, but this makes it a lot more official.

Ever onward, with 'em or without 'em.

That certainly inhales sharply through pursed lips, Brad. Sounds pretty familiar too. I signed my "pink slip" this morning. They're shutting down the Indy Navistar plant on July 31st. We've known about it for a while, but this makes it a lot more official.

Ever onward, with 'em or without 'em.

Steve,

I'm sorry to hear about your joining the crowd....it seems to be the norm these days. I know I'm no slouch and I WILL find work, you also are very talented and you too will find work. I'm just tired of how Michigan is run and I want to ride all year :confused24:

Best of luck to you brother, Irene and yourself will too rebound from this, like it's been said here live is an AdVenture....so onward we go my friend :happy34:

Really sorry to hear the news but opportunity awaits. I didn't believe it when I was out of work, but you have a better attitude than me. If you're interested in N.E. Arkansas, I'll do a little checking. Some pretty nice towns, reasonable cost of living, and a great riding area. Just let me know if interested.

Jim

Squidly, Lonna and Bummer:

Just wanted to say that it sucks big time to lose your job, but you've gotta look at it like a new door is opening for you. It's BIG TIME SCARY, but it will work! Don and I did that about 30 yrs ago. We grew up in MI and I was so tired of the snow, we moved to TN and never regretted it. Can't say as there are any jobs on our side of the state (NW corner) but highly recommend the state as for living expenses. If you can find a job anywhere here, you will love it!

The one drawback for "Yankees" may be the heat / humidity. Does take a bit to get used to....but the winters are great!

Who said they speak "english" here? Sure they do...if you can figure out the accent. LOL! Warm and friendly people here tho. Hope you find something here! Good luck! And let us know when you get settled somewhere...we can come visit and try some of that cheesecake I keep hearing about!

Best wishes

Pat and Don:thumbsup:

BTW, if you do get to move to the deep south, be aware that there are two terms of endearment we use for y'all;

1. a Yankee - Someone from the north that comes to visit and goes back. :clap2:

2. a Damn Yankee - Someone from the north that MOVES down here!!! :crying: :stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke:

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

All joking aside come on DOWN!!!

Really sorry to hear the news but opportunity awaits. I didn't believe it when I was out of work, but you have a better attitude than me. If you're interested in N.E. Arkansas, I'll do a little checking. Some pretty nice towns, reasonable cost of living, and a great riding area. Just let me know if interested.

Jim

Jim,

I believe that it will pretty much be the east side of Tennessee or the Houston area. Lonna's mom and twin sisters are there and I do like how the governor of Texas seems to think. Bottom lineis this...MONEY, I only work because I need it to survive like the rest of us. I will go where the best opportunity is, but I do absolutely appreciate your thinking of us my friend :happy34:

Squidly, Lonna and Bummer:

Just wanted to say that it sucks big time to lose your job, but you've gotta look at it like a new door is opening for you. It's BIG TIME SCARY, but it will work! Don and I did that about 30 yrs ago. We grew up in MI and I was so tired of the snow, we moved to TN and never regretted it. Can't say as there are any jobs on our side of the state (NW corner) but highly recommend the state as for living expenses. If you can find a job anywhere here, you will love it!

The one drawback for "Yankees" may be the heat / humidity. Does take a bit to get used to....but the winters are great!

Who said they speak "english" here? Sure they do...if you can figure out the accent. LOL! Warm and friendly people here tho. Hope you find something here! Good luck! And let us know when you get settled somewhere...we can come visit and try some of that cheesecake I keep hearing about!

Best wishes

Pat and Don:thumbsup:

Thanks for the words of encouragement Pat, you never know what life is going to hand out to you. So who knows where we'll show up to live...it's all good :thumbsup2:

Squid, I came from the boiler business in TN. Are you looking to stay in that business? In the powerhouse or for a boiler service company? Let me know.:080402gudl_prv:

Boomer,

I would probably say a powerhouse, I'm not confident that I would make a good serviceman as I would need more training. I liked working in the powerhouse as it was always different and thaty kept me challenged. Thank you also for thinking of us :)

Maybe one more m+e before you take off???? It would be nice to see you two be for you take off for happyer places.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Mabe just over a scope or two of icecream.

John,

Were not planning on running away immediately, a few months at best unless the job of a lifetime comes through. We'll do another M&E, peobably wont be till mid August, but we'll do one....no sweat

PS and there will be ice cream involved :banana: