IGNORED

Carb Diaphragm info...finally

Guest ReinyRooster

Just to add more to the diaphragm knowledge database-

Working on another bike that had similar Mikuni carbs, I had great difficulty trying to get the raised edge of the diaphragm to stay in the groove while trying to get the cover screwed on. The solution is one that I wish I figure out previously when replacing mine on my Venture.

Long story made short, I used four pieces of regular masking tape to tape the diaphragm in. Place the tape on no more than about a tenth of an inch of the diaphragm when measured from the outside edge. (i.e., just enough to hold the diaphragm edge in when it is seated in the groove.). Put the cover in place and put your four screws in hand tight until it just seats and back each screw out - no more than a half turn. You should be able to pull out each of your four masking tape pieces intact. If the tape pieces rip and do not come out intact, disassemble and try again.

Again, the performance that gets restored when you replace diaphragms is amazing. You lose this gain by not having your diaphragms properly sealed.

Hope this helps someone and please let me know how it works for you.

Another way is to stick a long screwdriver down in the venturi and hold the slide while putting the cover on. Once the cover is seated you can go ahead and put the screws in. I think?? it was Carl. or maybe Goose, that came up with this one. I had the same problem keeping them in the groove...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I found on my Mikunis on the XS11, that warming the diaphragm rubbers a little bit helped fit them into the grooves such that they stayed. I used a light bulb maybe eight inches away for a few minutes to warm the things a bit. I also used vaseline to make the grooves a little stickier, but very very light with the vaseline. I will try the tape method next time though, that may be faster. JAT TomSmith

• 3 weeks later...

Curious if these phragms are the same for the VMax which a bud of mine has. His is an '89 and has the same symptoms discussed in this thread. I told him to check Sirius for availability and hasn't had any luck. Anyone know where to get a set otherwise? eBay guy still has his market locked up tight at $100.+ for his. Unsure if he gets his from Sirius or maybe JBM Industries...JBM sells them for $19.90 ea. but unsure of what carb his VMax has...

Any advice would be appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

FYI,

I called them last week and they no longer offer this price, they are now $20 per. They are backordered and take a minimum of 2 weeks to get stock in. They also charge 20 for ground shipping.

• 2 months later...

I went to order a set of the diaphragms and got this back from Martin when I sent him an email for an order.

We sure do but they are now $69.99 + $13.75 UPS (2-5 days)S&H or $9.50 AIR Mail (up to 2 weeks), paypal only to paypal@siriusconinc.com and refer to SD-1 x 4

Thanks Martin

It's still a good deal considering. if you had to buy them from the dealer they would cost $85 each, that's with slides.

Steve

Edited by Steveroge

I went to order a set of the diaphragms and got this back from Martin when I sent him an email for an order.

We sure do but they are now $69.99 + $13.75 UPS (2-5 days)S&H or $9.50 AIR Mail (up to 2 weeks), paypal only to paypal@siriusconinc.com and refer to SD-1 x 4

Thanks Martin

It's still a good deal considering. if you had to buy them from the dealer they would cost $85 each, that's with slides.

Steve

That's where I got mine, and that was the price.

They also stock the air cut off diaphragms at a reasonable cost, and the shipping stays the same .... They will probably need replacing too.

• 4 weeks later...

That's a shame - it was worth changing the diaphragm as part of a diagnostic process before.

The JBM kit is worth looking at as it is the same price (I haven't tried, but was thinking for an XJ550). The difference appears to be that with sirius, you squeeze the lip of the diaphragm between the edges of the two disks, whereas with the JBM you remove the disk and use the thick rubber of the diaphragm, making it a one-way change.

http://jbmindustries.com/Yamaha650.html

This is the link for the 550, not the venture.

That's a shame - it was worth changing the diaphragm as part of a diagnostic process before.

The JBM kit is worth looking at as it is the same price (I haven't tried, but was thinking for an XJ550). The difference appears to be that with sirius, you squeeze the lip of the diaphragm between the edges of the two disks, whereas with the JBM you remove the disk and use the thick rubber of the diaphragm, making it a one-way change.

http://jbmindustries.com/Yamaha650.html

This is the link for the 550, not the venture.

The procedure for fitting the Sirius diaphragms is straightforward and easy. Just go carefully and they slide right in.

Is there a time expiration for ordering or is this is an open offer until a new price is negotiated?

I think it's the general price, but that might be worth checking.

I used the Sirius diaphragms without any problems, though having noticed the JMB instructions, will check I got the slides the right way round when I next look in the carbs.

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to update this thread. I e-mailed Martin first just to make sure it was still a current offer. I then ordered & received (yesterday) a set of 4 diaphragms for the price listed: $69.99 + $13.75 UPS (2-5 days) S&H or $9.50 AIR Mail (up to 2 weeks)

I had it sent UPS, used paypal to paypal@siriusconinc.com and refered to SD-1 x 4 per Martin.

Just an FYI that this is still the price and they're still available.

-Andrew

• 8 months later...

My problem is I have 4 new diaphragm but how do you get the plastic ring and alum. slide free of the plastic slide to put in the new diaphragm? Pulling the old hole ridden diaphragms was not hard but now I have 4 pistons with the plastic cap and alum. slide that I can't figure out how to "break Lose from the plastic Piston" in order to work the new diaphragm's into place. Is there some secret to this or am I totally off base in what I think I have to do??

Thanks for any help

My problem is I have 4 new diaphragm but how do you get the plastic ring and alum. slide free of the plastic slide to put in the new diaphragm? Pulling the old hole ridden diaphragms was not hard but now I have 4 pistons with the plastic cap and alum. slide that I can't figure out how to "break Lose from the plastic Piston" in order to work the new diaphragm's into place. Is there some secret to this or am I totally off base in what I think I have to do??

Thanks for any help

If your new diaphrams are the sirius or oem style, in other owrds identical to the old ones simply very carefully stretch them over the washers. If you have the JBM style snip the plastic washers off with side cuttters and discard then simply and gently slip them over the metal ridge.

Hey Roger,

Have a look at these directions from the First Gen. Tech. Section about installing the Sirius Carb. Diaphragms. Here's the link:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32121

If you have ANY questions, please feel free to PM me. As I have offered in the past, and will offer again now, I am willing to install your Sirius Carb. Diaphragms (that you purchase yourself) on your used sliders at NO Charge, other than the shipping of the sliders to my location, and then back to you when I am finished. In the USA, total time for me to receive the sliders/Diaphragms, install them, and send them back to you is ONE WEEK. It would be my pleasure to help ANY VR.ORG Member with this project! :thumbsup2:

Earl

• 5 months later...
Is this deal still available?

If your talking about the Sirius ones.....

I posted the link to Sirius for the diaphragms you need. Check it out. They list there for $99.00 but we get a discount through the club as you are a member.

Our club price is $79.99 and $12.50 shipping to you for a total of $92.49 USD.

This is only through a direct PayPal purchase! Not through the Sirius site to get this price! If you have a PayPal account set up it's easy to do.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll walk you through the ordering process.

I just installed these in my '84 and they make a major improvement. Starting, idle and response all improved. Waiting to see how much they increase the MPG.

If your talking about the Sirius ones.....

I posted the link to Sirius for the diaphragms you need. Check it out. They list there for $99.00 but we get a discount through the club as you are a member.

Our club price is $79.99 and $12.50 shipping to you for a total of $92.49 USD.

This is only through a direct PayPal purchase! Not through the Sirius site to get this price! If you have a PayPal account set up it's easy to do.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll walk you through the ordering process.

I just installed these in my '84 and they make a major improvement. Starting, idle and response all improved. Waiting to see how much they increase the MPG.

I just ordered a set on April 19 for $83.24USD delivered, and have already received them. I think they gave me the old price.

• 1 month later...

For those of you considering diaphragm replacement, it appears SDI will still give us the original negotiated price of $69.99. I had inquired about them back in August. None were available until a projected mid December timeframe.

Just last week after it being out of sight/mind I resumed talking to SDI and they honored the previously quoted price and also have them in stock at the moment. Price to my door: 82.50 and they got here in 4 days. Not bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The part you are after is the SD-1 (4 of them) and your price is $79.99 USD for the parts and $13.75 for shipping, grand total of $93.74. You can send the funds via PayPal to paypal@siriusconinc.com and we’ll get those right out to you! In PayPal copy this text into the notes so we know what it’s for, thanks!

My reply from Chris. Normal shipping- prices are rising. :confused07: