IGNORED

What would you do different in cycle wreck?

dharnie

Following to close to a semi on highway I saw something on the road he straddled. Had just enough time to think " I'm gonna hit it; if I turn I'm gonna lose it." Held on and hit it square. Thought grass median would be a better landing pad than concrete and headed for it. Stayed up till almost stopped but that's when the front wheel stopped rolling. Bent both rims in about 4" and blew both tires. What I now do different is think 'what if' and 'what's the best way out'.

On a hot summer day, I was running a little close behind a car I was going to pass and did not see the dead opposum he was straddling until it was too late. When I hit it, it literally exploded and I had it all over the bottom of the bike and my shoes and pants legs. I did not go down, but I sure had a stinking mess to clean up.

RandyA

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only had one laydown. I was 19 and looked back over my shoulder for someone that was following me and drifted to the outside edge in gravel as I was coming to a curve at 50 mph. Took a millisecond to go through 3 scenarios and then decide to lay it down. I was lucky enough (I believe blessed, actually) that I was not injured in any way other than my elbow slightly sore. And I only found a BB sized hole in my pants. In my case, I wouldn't change anything... other than the not paying attention and getting in that situation.

This one happened quite a few years ago, and to my riding partner. We were on a trip that took us through Smuggler's Notch towards Stowe in Vermont. It was hot riding that day and my partner was riding in shorts. As we were passing through the notch at the very peak of the mountain, I saw my partner head straight for the granite wall along the side of the road. At the last minute, he somehow prevented a crash into the wall and headed down through the serious S turns. He kept going until he could run off the road, where he dropped his bike and ran into the bush. It turned out that he was in serious pain as a bee had gone up his shorts and stung him where it hurts most. The obvious lesson - proper riding gear!

Evan

On the way back from the 1st PA meet & Eat in Gettysburg I had a front tire go out at 65 MPH. Thank goodness I was able to get the bike to the sholder. I was riding 2 up with my wife and the last few seconds were really rough. Turns out I had a leaking valve stem. The guys behind me said they heard a loud bang. I didn't hear it but felt the front end getting heavier and hard to steer until the violent shaking started. It was one of the 90 degree ones but with a rubber seal both inside and outside the rim. I found a 90 degree angle valve stem with a 10 year warranty on the internet that is going in this weekend. So my words of wisdom...even though the tires look fine and have the right pressure check the darn valve stems.

• 2 weeks later...

when i was 18 years old i got caught in a sudden storm, was headin home on my honda 500 custom. Raining in sheets, came out from behind some trees and got caught by a huge windgust. It blew me into the ditch at about 50 mph. Of course it was really wet grass, i just hung with it kinda like a dirt tracker siding it in sideways ending up going down in the ditch backend first. The ditch was next to a railroad track where they were doing work, when i came to a stop i backed into a bunch of fresh clay. I was pretty much stuck right there, but i was still upright. The point is, everything in your mind seems to slow down, dont panic. There will be plenty of time to crap your pants after it is over. All these accidents need some sort of luck, but the mind is a powerfull thing. Just stay with it good things usually happen to minimize the damage.

The photos are since my accident of 6 months ago. I still am healing in some parts of my body. I still have my wrecked RSV parked in the garage which I bought back from the insurance company. While I was sitting on my butt for a month recovering, I purchsed a BMW because of what I read about ABS brakes, tires, safety gear, etc during the many hours that I sat in front of my PC surfing the net. The BMW has non-linked ABS brakes front & rear. I locked up both wheels on my RSV and layed it down vs hitting the car that violated my right of way and pulled out in front of me. I visited the accident site and there are 2 definative skid marks in the asphalt from both of my RSV's tires from the attempted panic stop.

Again, I had another emergency stop last week and survived!

I was at about 35-40mph, when a cop in a car pulled into my right of way at an intersection in the downtown business section which has blind spots at evey corner due to buildings built right up to the sidewalks. I heard the siren screaming, but could not tell where it was or what emergency vehicle it was since the sound was bouncing off the buildings. I had a green light and was coming down an exit ramp into right turn only lane. I knew I had only 1 more block to go to turn, since I drive this every day on my commute to my job. I was able to come to an immediate stop, even though I visualized that I was going to slide across the intersection and into the car because I panic stopped and applied both brakes and was anticipating a wheel lock up. I think the cop thought that I was about to hit him too from the freeked out look on his face. But this BMW bike came to a surprisingly fast stop - which I was very happy that it did!

• 2 months later...

on july 5th 2002 at approximately 11:10 am while heading south on hiway 93 coming home from a ride on the venture. a beautifulsunny day was cut short by few seconds of violence. a deer made a single leap in front of my bike at 65 mph . the front wheel hit right behind the front shoulders all most dead center. i was banking in a right hand curve . she shot from my right hand side to my left throwing the bike over the right side and down . catapultingme in an arc over the side and landing on my right side in the middle of hiway 93 in the right lane, the bike sild into the opposite lane on the edge of the road. when i stopped bouncing and sliding i rolled over on my hands and knees and realized i could not breathe, no air was going in and no air was coming out. i hunched my back up and desperatly tried to breathe. at that point i thought i was dead or going to be very soon . then somthing popped and i got part of a gulp of air and an overwhelming rush of pain. i then rolled over on my back in the center of the south bound lane took off my helmet and gloves and began the trial of survival. it seemed like only seconds passed when an angel in black ( biker girl ) oh ya i said black . leather helmet gloves pants boots the works approached my left side and spoke to me asking somthing about my wellbeing. i dont know what i said but i understand she was responsible for calling 911 and getting help coming. more people started showing up . chip trucks and cars going by. i just wanted to wake up and find my self in bed having a nightmare . no such luck to day! i remember hearing the siren from the ambulance coming in the background and having the sound of help coming.the angel in black stood in the sun shielding me from the heat and sun in my eyes and said to me this is my job! then the ambulance crew went about checking me out and preping me for transport to promptcare .xrays showed 3 broken ribs a punctured and collapsed lung numerous heavy bruises and a whole lot of other stuff i wont bother whinning about here once stabalized and prepped with chest tube and pain killer i was life flighted to kalispell regional med center emergency room , i spent 5 days in hospital one and a half of those in icu. one last thing to all my bike riding brothers and sisters where ever you are in the past weeks while recuping i have been sitting in the park counting the riders who dont wear the leather or helmets or any safety gear at all . tank tops teashirts shorts and sandals wont work when called upon for protection. YOU WILL NOT BE THE ONE TO SAY WHEN THAT MOMENT HAS ARRIVED. SO I SAY TO YOU THE RIDER WHO WANTS TO LIVE TO RIDE RIDE TO LIVE ! BE PREPARED! THESE THREE THINGS I SAY TO YOU ALSO !! WEAR THE GEAR ..WEAR THE GEAR .. WEAR THE DAM GEAR. I CAN SAY THAT BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD THERE GO I . AND THAT THE HELMET SAVED MY LIFE AND MY FACE . THE LEATHER KEPT ME FROM TURNING INTO HAMBURGER ON THE NO. 1 GRIT SAND PAPER WE CALL HIWAY 93 .TO THE LADY BIKER I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANKS TO YOU FACE TO FACE BUT I DONT KNOW WHO YOU ARE . SO THANKS SO MUCH !!!! HAPPY TO BE A LIVING MEMBER OF THE HUMAN RACE AND STILL RIDING . SINCERLY STEVE.

Steve,

Don't they have a law in California against such wanton killing of innocent creatures?

Glad you are well on the way to mending. ATGATT (All the Gear, All The Time) should be a mantra.

Bless the angels that help. Make sure you pay it forward - I'm sure you will.

Ride safely. Let us know your health progress.

RR

Guest curtismiller

I had a few minor wrecks back in the 50,s and 60,s all due to drinking and riding.Fast bike ,testosterone,youth all combined with being a beerhead.Now I am a old teatolder and ride very carefully.Glad just to be here.Seems like the good Lord or the devil missed out on a good chance to get my sorry arse.Now my lifeguard is on duty 24-7 and can walk on water.Hope you use the same one. Curtis

I had a few minor wrecks back in the 50,s and 60,s all due to drinking and riding.Fast bike ,testosterone,youth all combined with being a beerhead.Now I am a old teatolder and ride very carefully.Glad just to be here.Seems like the good Lord or the devil missed out on a good chance to get my sorry arse.Now my lifeguard is on duty 24-7 and can walk on water.Hope you use the same one. Curtis

ya thats a given brother. AMEN!...........Steve.

• 1 month later...

More air pressure in my shock than I'm used to, riding sans luggage (hence the extra air in the first place).

Riding too close to the outside, trying to stay in staggered formation.

Too big of a dip, leading to 6" of air under me, standing bke straight up and into the bush. And mud, fortunately.

So. Be sure to adjust to rear shock air pressure. Don't try to stay in formation when roads are narrow and very twisty.

I'm okay couple of busted ribs. RSTD may be totaled.

• 3 weeks later...

Was reading this post and while it was old I got plenty out of it.

I'm 47 now. Haven't crashed in 25 years because I have hardly been on a bike in 25 years. A different person ago I made several mistakes on my motorcycle. Luckily I lived without longlasting problems and this is what I learned.

I won't get on a bike after 1 beer unless if I have slept for the night. (Not saying it should be anyone elses rule. Just mine)

I don't drive to work as a habit because I think that people are so busy paying attention to their cell phones and everything else other than driving.

I build in enough time on my trip that I can always delay due to bad conditions, not feeling right or whatever.

Don't ride unless if my head is clear.

Yes I ride like no one can see me, but my ego believes that it can happen to me as well. All I'm trying to do is lower the risk. Only a full would believe they could eliminate them.

We play a dangerous game.

On June 13th, I was out crusing and feeling the breeze when a teenager pulled out in front of me, I swerved and went around him. I remember him sneering at me as I passed. I put some distance between us and continued on my way. Just a couple miles down the road was the turn on to my street. I was nearly stopped, foot out, but not down, waiting to see if the oncoming person who was making a left turn to go down the same street I was turning right onto, knew I was there. I won't go unless they wave me on, as a rule. Just then tires screeching and the sound of metal crunching. I remember flying through the air, seeing my boots against the sun and then that kid looking at me from an upside down perspective. Then I hit the ground and felt my left hip go mushy. Tumbled and felt my back crunch. It seemed like forever before I stopped moving. Then the driver got out of the car and said "Woah, man. Like, I'm really sorry man." Just like the character played by Sean Penn in fast times at Rigemont High. All told I had some road rash on my right arm, busted pelvis in two places, fractured T9 vertebrae, and a really bad attitude.

What could I have done different? Not much. I guess I could have not passed the kid and locked up the brakes two miles before, or I could have just stayed home.

• 2 months later...

On a late evening ride in that quiet VA road I'd ridden many times, and cute young things went across the street to her mail box. Naturally I watched to see that she made it safely over, ... and back. ONLY TO STAR at the fatest toad I had ever seen right in the middle of my right turn on the road that angled deep to the right.

MISTAKE? I took a left ... which was UP, doing about 20 or 15, multiplied my speed, and a the top there was gravel and straight down a steep hill. I said, 'Sorry Frebird,' and I laid her down, TRYING TO HOLD my 86 VR UP! Broke my colar bone, some road rash; folks helped me get her up, rode her to the next farm house for the wrecker, ... and ALL the muscles in my right shoulder tightened to protect from that severe break and compressed shoulder.

SAVIOR: was that sweet young thing, that drove me in the hardest riding pick up truck to the local hospital in extreme pain from the muscles. 5 shots later, and ahhhh, I could relax.

RESULTS: fixed up Frebird (ins company rebuilt that bike several times) and rode AGAIN.

Lessons: Mind my business, forget the skirts, run OVER the frog or take the low side of the turn.

Next Accident? Tune intomorrow night. I have several, and at 70 Yup .... I am still riding.

Zfrebird!

aka

JackZ

aka

DePreach (perhaps that helped? LOL)

This year was supposed to be the one that I really got back on the road. Didn't happen. Got a few miles in but still trying to find my old nerve. Don't think I'm going to maybe its time for a 2nd Gen. I don't think I'll ever quit riding but just can't turn loose and ride like I used too. Really bugs me. I keep waiting for the next Idiot.

On October 30 I was riding home in the rain on the interstate, friday afternoon traffic. The weather man had said "no rain till tonight" but you know how that goes.

I was keeping as much following distance as I could in friday afternoon traffic. Suddenly, traffic in front of me was coming to a stop and cars were swerving to avoid an obvious rear ender. I got on the brakes and the bike started to slide sideways as the rear tire locked up. I let off the brakes. I didn't high side since there was no traction for the back tire to grab and throw me off.

I tried to steer to the left shoulder since I was in the left lane where I might have some more room to stop. The car in front of me had the same idea and filled up the shoulder and part of the median. I had the choice of the median or the bumper. I chose the median. It gets kind of fuuzzy from there but the bike ended up in the center of the median pointed back the opposite direction and I ended up 10 yards downrange in a mud hole on my back. I walked away but it took about a month to get over the bruising from the waist down. The RSV was totaled.

What I would do different would be to try to use more front brake and less back brake but in a panic situation that's tough to do. I have had the back brake lock up before on quick stops on dry pavement before but handled it. On a rain slick highway with new pavement there was no handling it. I hate to tell you folks but the back brakes on the RSVs are accidents waiting to happen.

What I DID do diifferent was buy a GoldWing with integrated brakes and ABS. If you don't think ABS makes much difference get on youtube and search for motorcycle ABS.

Ride safe!

... the first gen Ventures have a 60 front and 40 back braking mechanism, as I understand it when you are on the rear brake only.

In Ohio, at dusk (first mistake) I was riding out on roads I knew, up a slight hill with running lights on and the biggest strobe lights you'll every see, yellow, (never stopped for that) ... and at the top? FIRST a silver fender, SECOND a L FRONT DOOR with the state trooper emblem on it, and LAST his silver bumper. This guy was moving as fast as he could in a drive out to the N on my highway as I was headling south. Instantly at the first silver I almost stood on the rear break.

My first VR, the buautiful Ursula Black on Gold, just sunk down and came to a stop. No wobble, no change of direction, just straight to a floating stop. I did work to hang on and stay upright. ALL this in less than about 30 to 40 feet, and I was, fortunately, only doing about 40 MPR (my own weight was about 225 lbs then). The pavement was dry and clean, and it was summer.

The trooper had turned into a uturn drive way at a house to answer a call, made his turn and entrance onto the road WITHOUT flashers or siren! My headlight beam was on hi with my riding lights on, as well as the strobes. Why he didn't see the headlight beam coming over the hill, I'll never know. That's why I had it on high beam. He was probably going to answer a call to a bad wreck on the interestate I had just crossed over. IT was his mistake, but my 1st gen 60/40 rear brake system saved me. The bike never wobbled, and just very quickly floated to a stop.

THAT system is why I bought Squidley and Lonna's 1st gen VR in '06. (Plus this site sang their praises, and I knew they were 'on the square' when I met them, plus the bike was right). I know, there is no way to use that back brake only, and the system has it's weakness However, in this potential deadly accident, it saved my bacon.

Cussing LIKE A PREACHER, ... I wanted to chase the trooper down, and he would not have gotten away from my VR. But, I was so shook I didn't feel I could go after him safely. I just pulled over, emergency flashers on, lit my pipe, settled down, then drove on through the rest of my smoke.

Tomorrow night: THE TURN DECISION I made far too quickly. It cost me nine surgeries on my left knee. But I rode again.

Thanks to all for this kind of post. Scary? You bet, but cheap and good source of smarts that can save our lives.

JackZ

In the wreck I had, Were a guy suddenly came out of a left hand turn lane and cut me off because he suddenly decided he did not want to turn left there was nothing I could have done different. Believe me I went over it a thousand times in my mind and there was nothing. No escape route nothing. What I learned out of it is every cager bears watching no matter what lane he is in, and to always expect the unexpected

I never had a bike wreck, and question is what you will do diferent? That's what I'm doing. take exprence rider course, and instructors will show you what is your "week poins", try to master or corect your habbit. and practice, practice and more practice. It's sad how many folks here have locked rear wheel in panic stop. Just to remaind, beside rear brake there is front brake as well DOWN SHIFTING. In combination of all 3 breaking techniques, Venture will stop on dime. I don't know, it's just my 2c.