IGNORED

What would you do different in cycle wreck?

dharnie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had a bike wreck, and question is what you will do diferent? That's what I'm doing. take exprence rider course, and instructors will show you what is your "week poins", try to master or corect your habbit. and practice, practice and more practice. It's sad how many folks here have locked rear wheel in panic stop. Just to remaind, beside rear brake there is front brake as well DOWN SHIFTING. In combination of all 3 breaking techniques, Venture will stop on dime. I don't know, it's just my 2c.

I hope you never have to find out.

I have had more than I care to admit, but fortunately, no injuries to my person, just my rides. Number one was a guy on a GW doing a 180 turn and swinging in front of me with no room to avoid him. The BMW I rode took about $1,000 of body damage. Number two was this crazy deer determined to commit suicide. I was an MSF instructor at the time, and we had always told our students that if you HAVE to hit something, do it as straight on as possible, which I did, and went through the deer like a hot knife through butter, with onlly $200 in cosmetic damage. (My passenger, a 16 y.o. newbie, did have to discard his skivvies that night when we got to the motel, and I suspect his ego was hurt more than my bike!!! VEG!!!) Three was hitting a splash of anti-freeze on a rainy road, and the front end just went squirrelly, and I was unable to pull it out before a ditch, so I laid it down and trashed the fairing and lower radiator hose.

Having been there as many times as I have, I don't think God is through with me yet, as He seems to keep me coming back from the brink of disaster with little damage to the body.

I have driven 200,000 miles on a bike, and 2,500,000 on a car over the years of a sales career, and never more than a scratch in all that time, so I guess my luck has held for a long time, and I hope it continues.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Poledar:farmer:

Unlike most who think it can't happen to them , I already know when it does happen I'll wish I was going slower. You can't have an 800lb bike to learn on and not expect to get whats coming to ya.I aways wear full gear and the preacher who sold me the bike said a prayer for me and his old scoot . Made it through the first riding season and am knocking on wood. I will get a Butler brake mod asap and start practicing emg. stops. If you ever get too cocky watch youtube deerstrikes and ask youself if you could have avoided it and you knew it was coming.I hope I'm able to post after my crash , but I'm in no rush.

I would improve my riding skills so I would NEVER have to "lay her down".

If you lay a bike down on purpose, you give up all control of the bike and therfore your passanger and your slef.

Watch the DVD Ride like a Pro V and PRACTICE what is shown on EVERY ride!!!!!!

WE live at the top of a slight hill, and our drive is hidden to traffic coming up the hill. Also, we can't see vehicles except maybe tall semi's if they are just about to crest the hill. Can't get the city to put a hidden drive sign up.

when we leave our driveway, I usually really gas it because the city also had the stupidity to raise the speed limit that had been in force for decades from 35 in front of our house to 45 AT THE CREST OF THE HILL! So now instead of cars pushing the 35 limit and coming over that crest at 40 or so, we now have them coming over at 50 or more!d

Was leaving the drive turning towards the hill a couple years ago when a city cop came over the crest at 65+ with no lights on. I floored it and he zigged and missed my bumper by inches. I drove to city hall and complained. No way they should crest that hill that fast under any circumstance, and especially without lights.

Riding west from Hotchkiss toward Paonia, CO., July 11, 1993, with my then beloved wife on the QS, .... I passed a pick up truck. Easily. He was just mosying along. I just soared away. (Now I would have done it slower with just a gentle wave, ... well, perhaps).

I put my signal on to turn right into a business because it was just getting a little towards dark to ride when not necessary. As I approached the turn I saw another road, Left, paved that looked interesting and like it might head back home with some good scenery. I made that decision FIRST MISTAKE very quickly, and came to a stop in my left inside of my lane for oncoming. I DID NOT ... look in my mirrors at what was cuming up on me. SECOND MISTAKE: I should have completed my signaled right turn. THIRD, was not watching my arse!

That little red PISSED OFF TRUCK DRIVER (FOURTH MISTAKE) was determined to pass me, and perhaps, in fairness had started his pass, but thought he could beat me. Wife verified my turn signal was on, but I HAD FAILED (FIFTH MISTAKE), ... to watch also the UPcoming traffic, as much as the ONcoming traffic for whom I had stopped.

His old truck had hooks on the side of the bed for tie downs, ... and lots of rust. He clipped and hooked some part of the bike with one of his right hooks as he went buy. SO, I ALSO MADE THE SIXTH MISTAKE of ... being TOO CLOSE TO THE CENTER LINE.

The next think I knew I said 'OH SHIFT' (preacher you know, but not pontifical in style) ... and we were down. Wife had a hurt in ankle but was ok. I was too, I THOUGHT. Helmets, top quality, also saved our bacon. Some other bacon was not so lucky.

I walked to the bike to lift it up with help in the middle of the road, looked down and saw I was vastly leaking my Royal English Blood. I had a forward 'C' slice on my left knee. Hospital, sewn up, healing fine. A few days later, ... a major STAFF infection. On the 9th surgery they were prepared to take the leg as it was a staff they could not fight, ... but it had mutated. So I got a grochon in my heart for (SP?) Vancumiacin, 100%, and it took me two years in PT to get that left leg back and powerful.

I had 'given' my 86 Beautiful (fixed up via ins) Ursula Black on Gold (Zfrebrd1) had had 'given ' to my oldest son. I THOUGHT ... I was done. The time came when I took a brief secret ride, known only to my youngest son on his 750 Yamaha Seca. I rode fine. I had the bug again. When the older son said my bike was too big for him, ... I said ... can I have it back? And he said without hesitation, 'Sure, Pop.' Sweet words.

I rode much more wisely back on it over the Rockies on Trail Ridge Road to the western slope to Hotchkiss.

I rode for 6 years, ... before the next accident. In that one, yup: I should have STOPPED when I saw the first one.

That will be the next post. Hope this gives some clues for safe riding. Thanks to all who post here.

JackZ

aka

Zfrebird4

aka

DePreach :bluesbrother:

I'd like to be able to say I've never been down but I'd have to lie. There was a time when I wanted to be the fastest one in the group while trying to drink more than anyone in the group. Good combination for a wreck. Been down about any way you can imagine, high side, low side and sliding. We use to have a saying in our group and I've mentioned it here before, "when you get high sided you have to make a decision, whether to go for distance or height". Neither way works out very well.

So now I'm older and haven't been down for a long time, don't drink much anymore and I don't care who is the fastest. Just trying to keep the rubber side down.

Talking about accidents you can not avoid. A few years ago a friend of my was broad sided at an intersection where a car was trying to jump out in traffic between cars and did not see my buddy. They dug a lot of headlight glass out of his knee and it had to be worked on a couple of times but he's back riding. The goldwing he was on was only a few months old and every piece of plastic was broke except for one and the wrecker took care of that when he loader it up on the flatbed. Insurance fixed it up and he rode it for years.

There is a lot of good information on this thread.

Be Safe,

BOO

I now own a 2006 Midnight Venture. Why? First because it's a great bike. Second, I wrecked my 2002 Kawasaki Nomad on 8/12/09. The front vavle stem cracked while I was cruising at @ 70+mph. In seconds I was on a sloped grass median. I have taken many rider courses, including Ride Like a Pro in N.C. All those courses prepared me for the accident. I knew I could not control the bike on the highway and did not want to go down on the concrete roadway. I did not panic, I got on the grassy slope and when the bike leaned into the slope I got off.

What would I do differently? I'D HAVE MY DAMN VALVE STEMS CHANGED MORE OFTEN.

well, my lay down is not nearly as colorful as many i have read here. i thank all who have written here so i may learn from those situations.

i was on my first bike in the late 70's. it was a Kawa street / trail 125. just going down a city street on the way home. riding in the middle of the street, i started to make a left turn. the back wheel slid out from under me as the oil was too slick for my rear tire to get traction from. the car behind me stopped and helped me up. bruised ego and stratched knee and some scratches on the bike were all i had to contend with, but, i sure learned a lot.

i learned how much junk is in the middle of the street. same for the highways too! I tend to stay in the left track.

luckily i had had no other accidents and i thought i was riding carefully up until i bought this 04 RSV. all my bikes were much more agile and i have manuevered out of all the situations i have been in. this RSV is no sport bike and has taken more getting used to than anything else i have ridden.

I have learned it may not stop exactly on a dime, but i have stopped in 15 cents. i use front, rear brakes and downshift and i shut it down quickly. this is of course being aware of the surroundings and knowing i need to stop. i have accelerated my way out of some potentially bad traffic situations as well.

thanks again for all the insightful information posted here.

Mistake # 1, riding at dusk, well almost dark in OH. Manual deer whistles = second mistake compared to the electronic one.

Cursing along the manual deer whistles stopped and seperated a large pack of deer crossing. Both groups were just nibbling on the corn in the corn field. Two lane, well deserted road.

Mistake # 3: I never counted on a dumb, still learning young deer wanting to cross over to the other side to be with MOOOOOOOOMa. The more she crossed the road, the more I keep scooting away from her with BIG yellow flasher strobe lights on .... Horn produced no avail.

Mistake # 4: since I counted on time and forget their jumping power OVER that of the 86 VR, ... I slammed it into second and floored it.

She jumped for momma, and my headlight hit her mid neck, slit her throat or broke her neck, back body slammed into my right leg (throttle still one = ONE good decision), she hit the back luggage rack (lower right) and slithered down and then off the highway. I was till heading north! WOW. I thought what a bike!

All lights were still working, INCLUDING THE HEADLIGHT, ... though the lens was busted. In a 1/2 mile I decided to stop and check 'Frebrd' out (name on my license plate, too).

Faring gone, right crome bent, radiator leaking profusely.

Since she is air cooled as well as water cooled on cool night I decided to ride her on home, ca 25 miles. MISTAKE # 5, I forgot what leaking antifreeze can do to a back tire! But somehow, that stop at the farm house let out all the fluid, and I made it home fine.

Next day: drove to the State Police station N of town on the interstate to make a report. He looked at the crowl, filled with hair, bone, and some blood.

'Yup, I can see you hit a deer. But .... where did all this brown stuff on the right side and back come from, you or the deer?'

My response: 'I'm not sure. Probably a little of both.'

CURRENT MISTAKE: I am STILL riding with manual deer whistles, rather than the mechanical recommended several years ago ... here.'

PM me or EM me if you want to know which one I now will buy after typing up this accident.

IF I have the number right, ACCIDENT 3 (a down) will be next in a couple of days. Yup, ... with a SECOND deer. HEAVENS, ... they must love or hate 86 VRs!!

JackZ

How I will be riding at 90: :mytruck1: When I get about 88 I'll insert my photo on the bike. I am no only 71 (in a few months). Jz

• 1 month later...

My first crash was on my '85 VR in about '93.

I was following a buddy riding a silver 750 Seka, which was a mini-Venture with fairing and bags. I was more than two seconds behind, though probably not more than five, on my brown and gold VR. We were on a one way street in downtown Indianapolis approaching an area with a building construction fence on the right. There was no traffic.

As he passed the alley immediately before the construction fence a car slowly pulled out directly in front of me. I could see the back of the driver's head. I hit the brakes and began downshifting. When I let the clutch out in first I was going too fast for that gear. The rear wheel matched engine speed. The back end snapped sideways. I was down. The bike slid into the side of the car. The impact was just hard enough to compress the bike's suspension and pop the front license plate holder off of the car.

It was a fairly low speed crash and the bike only had a few scratches - shoulder of the fairing, rear crash bars. You couldn't tell the car had been hit except for the license plate bracket laying on the ground in front of it.

I had a hole in the left knee of my jeans and a bit of rash on my hands.

The guy in the car liked bikes, he'd seen the Seka and was admiring it as he pulled out. He simply hadn't noticed me. The silver bike caught his eye, the brown one didn't.

I learned a few things, aside from the fact that people don't always see everything they should:

Don't let the clutch out casually in first gear. It'll spank you. Hard.

Blue jeans are not protection from abrasion. They go away in a flash.

The first thing one does in a crash is grab whatever one can. In my case that was the ground.

Since then I've tried very hard to trust my brakes and not downshift as rapidly. Had I not shifted into first I could probably have stopped in time.

Since they've become available I always wear kevlar lined jeans and a kevlar shirt. They won't help with the bounce, but they're great for the rub.

I always wear gloves. The palms of the hands are a terrible place to have road rash.

I also feel that bike color can matter, though I didn't really do anything about that. Since I retired the Maxi Brown/Marshall Gold '85 I've had an '05 Midnight RSV and an '06 Black Cherry RSV. Seems I'm hooked on those dark colors.

September 18 2005, I got off work at 3pm and headed for home. At the time I lived 20 miles away, either around or through Indianapolis. It was a beautiful day, great for riding. I debated on whether to put on my helmet, but left it in the trunk and decided on the short route through town. I was going to look into a small race track I'd heard about and that seemed to be the most direct route.

As I went past a school ball diamond with a game in progress I was tempted to stop, but chose not to. I had a chore to do once I got home and didn't want to waste too much time along the way.

The road was two lanes each direction with parking along the side that went away to allow for a center turn lane at intersections. Traffic was not particularly heavy.

I had barely put 9k miles on a new '05 Midnight and was thinking about lane position, speed in and out of intersections, and all the other things I'd gotten from the Proficient Motorcycling magazine series. I'd been a fan of David Hough's work for years and was taking safety seriously. I was following a van at a fairly good distance and moved to the right wheel track to increase my visibility as he pulled into the left turn lane at an intersection.

I saw a Neon pull into the oncoming turn lane, but I was nearly through the intersection. A threat, but not a large one. There was no entrance to the parking lot on the corner for him to pull into. He appeared to be planning a normal left turn.

As I cleared the intersection the Neon pulled directly into my lane well before the intersection. I shoved hard on the right handlebar. I had space on the right to dodge. I looked back to the left. He hit me. The bike was at a 45 degree angle, half way through an emergency lane change. The bike spun out from under me and I was punted about half a lane to the right of where I was hit.

I realized I was laying in the road. My left leg had been crushed at and below the knee and bent at the wrong place. I laid it out flat and scooted myself with my elbows a bit to straighten it out. Getting ready for the medics. (Funny how old training kicks in.) I looked down and saw the bike laying on its side, stereo still playing. I looked up and saw the Neon sitting in the intersection. After a couple of moments he sped away.

There was a forty minute car chase. A young lady in traffic didn't appreciate what had happened and followed the Neon, yelling at the police on her cell phone the whole time. The police finally caught the Neon. The driver had no license, no insurance, no green card, and wouldn't admit to being able to speak English. At first the police thought the car was stolen, but eventually figured out that it was shared by a group of people and didn't require a key to start.

The LEO who wrote it up couldn't believe what I told her, so she reported it as a normal crash in the intersection with me sliding twenty feet. It never occurred to her to wonder why I wasn't covered in road rash after sliding that far in jeans and a t-shirt, or why I would have slid the opposite direction from what she thought were the forces of the crash.

The prosecutor's office went through four assistants before the case finally went to trial. I explained what happened to each one. In the end they plea bargained away the reckless driving, crossing the double yellows, no insurance, and half a dozen other things. He wound up serving a total of ninety days for no license and fleeing. He was not deported. I was out of work for almost a year.

I nearly died - severed artery. I almost lost the leg - six breaks including a split knee plateau. Still, in large part because of wonderful medical care I pulled through. Today I only limp a little when I'm fatigued.

My employee health insurance paid most of the medical expenses of over $150k. Progressive paid off the bike and showed up with a check for the uninsured/underinsured coverage. I had gotten that largely by accident. I got the insurance on line and simply didn't know what I was doing. Today my bike insurance is maxed out with the highest uninsured/underinsured available. This time it's intentional.

What could I have done differently? Pick the other route? Take a break when the voices suggest it, no matter when? I can tell you I don't like to ride into the city. Oncoming traffic makes me a little twitchy. I always wear a helmet and kevlar clothing.

I still don't really know what I'd do differently. Sometimes it's the other guy's game and you're just left minimizing the damage.