IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

Went to go to picket line(our local union 88 is out because of corporate greed[my opinion]they shipped one of our vehicles to MEXICO ) and bike didn't start right away so tried second time and bbbbuuuuzzz no start. So got tools out and put in spare battery I had laying around and took battery in for test and they said no dead cells but tester said recharge and recheck. Brought battery home and put on regular charger at 2amps like they said and 2 hours later it said full charge. So not sure if battery will be OK or should I check charging system. Battery is 5 years old but have got longer time out of it.

Charge the battery and have it retested to see if it is still good.

Lead acid batteries do not like sitting in a discharged condition, that can kill even a brand new battery.

Get your voltmeter and check the voltage across the battery with the engine running at over 2000 RPM, if the voltage is real close to 14V that the charging system is fine. If it is low or hi then further investigation is warranted.

Next project was to fit a set of Kuryakyn ISO grips. Simple enough. Hmm now the bike won't start. Acts like the kill switch is engaged. Ni cranking. Headlight, radio etc. All work. Thinking maybe my kill switch is kaput. I bypassed it and still nothing. Pulled the throttle side switch block apart several times thinking I pinched a wire or something. Still no go. Checked all fuses. All good still no go.

Everything seems fine just nothing when I hit the starter button.

No trouble until I changed these hand grips.506d9277c07405554210825e2722e667.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Charge the battery and have it retested to see if it is still good.

Lead acid batteries do not like sitting in a discharged condition, that can kill even a brand new battery.

Get your voltmeter and check the voltage across the battery with the engine running at over 2000 RPM, if the voltage is real close to 14V that the charging system is fine. If it is low or hi then further investigation is warranted.

Battery charged up in around 2 hrs at 2amp. Took off and checked at 12:54 volts. Checked spare battery I put in and revved bike up to what sounded about that rpm and stayed around 13:75volts. Think this OK or should I investigate further?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed my new SCI diaphragms today. They fit like a glove and were pretty easy to install. Warm enough here to run it up to temp and go vroom, vroom.

I saw a few bikes go by, but there is still salt and sand on the roads, so I can wait.

Auxiliary tank is mounted now just to run the fuel lines and test. I sure took some improvising and several trips to Lowes and Ace.

03/192018: Fuel lines ran seem to work Ok until I found a fuel leak. It was coming from the fuel filter. I tightened it but still leaked. New filter but the seal must have been bad. I ordered another one. This one will be a Russell like I ran on my VTX. The other was a knock off. Hopefully I'll be done with it this weekend.

Edited by leroy

Auxiliary tank is mounted now just to run the fuel lines and test. I sure took some improvising and several trips to Lowes and Ace.

03/192018: Fuel lines ran seem to work Ok until I found a fuel leak. It was coming from the fuel filter. I tightened it but still leaked. New filter but the seal must have been bad. I ordered another one. This one will be a Russell like I ran on my VTX. The other was a knock off. Hopefully I'll be done with it this weekend.

Got the new Russel fuel filter today and installed it today. No fuel leaks with a gallon in the auxiliary. I'll fill both tanks tomorrow, well my main is almost full, so I'll fill the auxiliary (about 5 gallons) then give it the highway test to be sure fuel flows OK and all is tight.

Now to finish my other farkles.

Got the new Russel fuel filter today and installed it today. No fuel leaks with a gallon in the auxiliary. I'll fill both tanks tomorrow, well my main is almost full, so I'll fill the auxiliary (about 5 gallons) then give it the highway test to be sure fuel flows OK and all is tight.

Now to finish my other farkles.

Filled the auxiliary tank and hit the interstate. All went well, no leaks. Running an honest 70 to 80 into a wind half the time I got about 34 mpg. Can't complain.

Got around to change anti-freeze as dealer never changed it over the last 5 years of service done on bike.(found out after looking at receipts of work done) Had to buy new plugs behind fake cylinder covers after 2 started leaking after the change which meant taking tank and lower fairing off to get access to drain fluid. Took it out today for test ride and everything seems OK. Pretty chilly out (-1- -5) New grips MarCarl helped with seem to help with hand gripping.

I installed my new Hella dual tone horns today. They are a high/low tone in the stock horn size. This means my chrome covers still fit in the stock location with the stock chrome brackets. They sure don't sound stock, though. A little bit louder, but a lot more attention grabbing, with the high/low sounds. It sure would be nice if I never had to use them, but we know better.

OK...I've been looking but can't find pics of your aux fuel tank. I'm curious.....

Finally got around to putting highway pegs on RSV. Snugged them down good. Didn't use locktite and am wondering if I should. Still haven't installed the braces for the engine guards though. And still looking for a place to mount 2 spot lights for driving lights....wonder if I can find room down on the guards!!

26605.jpg26606.jpg

Well I've spent the last 3 hours out in the garage reassembling tinker. So basically I've been out here tinkering around not really in any hurry it's 32 degrees outside with iced up steps and porch I thought it was spring.58274b0bc512cc36730174eec4818587.jpg

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

Last few days I got the Amplirider, mic mutes, and the Skydoc clutch installed. Spooned on a new rear tire, checked all fluids and today got the luggage packed. Tomorrow me and momma are gonna head out for five days of CTFW. If you see a blue (best color) RSV loaded down and 2 up running around KY, NC, and Tenn give a big wave.

OK...I've been looking but can't find pics of your aux fuel tank. I'm curious.....

Didn't post any as I have not taken any pics yet. I've been busy adding and redoing some other farkles, lights mainly. I'll try to update with pics later this week.

I mounted the tank in place of the passenger seat. I had to make a plate to mount it on. Bad part is I must take it off when my daughter rides with me. It doesn't take much time with the quick disconnects. One bolt and two screws, disconnect the fuel line, and figure where I will store the tank. Then put the passenger seat back on.

I don't need the extra tank with her as we have to stop so often 100 to 150 miles is her limit anyway. However, I am working on some ideas to use it with her riding just in case we do the 4 Corners in 21 days ride or if we go very far out into "Nowhere Land", aka, few fuel stops. I'll probably mount it on some sort of rack like the Pakit Rak then use a fuel pump to move the fuel from the lower tank to either the main or directly to the stock fuel lines. That is in the future if I decide to do it.

Didn't post any as I have not taken any pics yet. I've been busy adding and redoing some other farkles, lights mainly. I'll try to update with pics later this week.

I mounted the tank in place of the passenger seat. I had to make a plate to mount it on. Bad part is I must take it off when my daughter rides with me. It doesn't take much time with the quick disconnects. One bolt and two screws, disconnect the fuel line, and figure where I will store the tank. Then put the passenger seat back on.

I don't need the extra tank with her as we have to stop so often 100 to 150 miles is her limit anyway. However, I am working on some ideas to use it with her riding just in case we do the 4 Corners in 21 days ride or if we go very far out into "Nowhere Land", aka, few fuel stops. I'll probably mount it on some sort of rack like the Pakit Rak then use a fuel pump to move the fuel from the lower tank to either the main or directly to the stock fuel lines. That is in the future if I decide to do it.

Sounds interesting. That does sound like a good spot and you can probably pack clothes and stuff on top of tank as well.

I'm toying with the idea of doing a long distance ride this summer. The wifemate has given the go ahead knowing this may be my last chance as age is creeping up! I rode across country in the younger days and on a smaller bike...but...grins!

So I bow to your superior knowledge of LD riding! Congrats on all your Iron Butt's!

I was thinking of carrying a small gas can in one of the saddlebags. But most of my riding would be near or on major highways so gas shouldn't be a problem. Even in the Four Corners area, there's gas nearby if you plan your stops. I was concerned about going across the New Mexico desert on rt 70, but have found enough stops to make it without a problem...and that's assuming around 35mpg's with reserve (keeping the scoot under the sound barrier as well!).

Edited by videoarizona
add