IGNORED

Is life getting in the way?

steamer

What's going on with everyone? When we(Robin & steamer) first became members, every rally would drew big numbers. If I remember right. MD had a couple hundred members signed up. All the other rallies would also have large numbers. So why is it this year no one seems to be interested in attending any of the M&E's/ rallies? In my case I only get 80 hours a year vacation. So it makes it tough to attend every rally/m&e. Also Robin is out of work due to medical reasons and $ is tight, but we did make MD and will be at the WNY rally. We want to make the IR but will have to see if I will have enough vaca time left. So I guess my question is, are you in the same boat or just not interested?

Health is a big thing and pockets not as deep. I would like to go to every one but don't feel right showing up in cage. Bike is almost ready to go and has been for months. I just ain't finished it???:think: Not real sure I'm gonna make anymore right now life is getting in my way and its full of MUD!!

Truth is I can't afford to do a lot of them anymore. Obusturd has bout ruined me. And the Warden decided she wanted a bigger place and spent my savings!!!:Avatars_Gee_George: I have to eat a Micky Ds a lot more. Good thing is I like Micky Ds.:Avatars_Gee_George: A little at a time!!! :bang head:As you said LIFE!!!:backinmyday:

Yep, my feelings exactly. It seems that the interest in the Asheville Rally is the lowest since we started it. I just told myself that I am going to go camping and if anyone wants to join me, we will thave a good time. Whether it is because of money issues or what, there has been very little expressed interest this year. I hate to say this will be the last Asheville Rally, but it may be, and it would be a shame because we always have a wonderful time.

What makes it even worse for me is my bike is sitting on the carport and was only ridden about 250 miles last year and none this year. The Deka battery will no longer hold a charge and I have a big power drain somewhere and I don't seem to have any enthusiasm for finding it. Now, if Linda and I want to go play, we will take one of the Miatas.

I guess I am just getting old, but I do still like to have fun. :backinmyday:

Randy

Health issues & the resulting Doc appointments seem to be getting in our way this year. First I cancelled the Root Beer run cause I had my ear operation just 4 days prior and now today cancelled the Ontario Rally due to a Doc appointment Joyce can't miss or reschedule.

Also like some others we're retired and have the time but not enough funds to go everywhere we'd like to. Especially this year due to replacing my furnace and ac unit last spring.

A double edged sword for sure but such is life.

Larry

Edited by Carbon_One

I wish, being in the younger crowd that Mike and I could go. I'm retired on disability so I have all the free time to go anywhere I want, funds not so much. And definitely not this yr. Between Mike's knee surgery, a not in the best of health senior cat, and a kitten with food allergies, my funds are depleted. Mike really wants to make the WNY rally one year so he can take me to Connecticut to show me his hometown, and going to WNY would put us closer than we are now.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

:95:,,, and just when I got a new bike to break in :95:

Your right Steamer,, also seems like the chit/chat around this place has been quieter too - thinking I get feeling better I am gonna go chase the front wheel on the new scoot and knock on some doors all over North America - make sure everyone is ok out there :big-grin-emoticon:

Well ok my 2 cents ....... we were supposed to be going to Ontario rally, but like others... life, work or what ever raises its ugly head and you have to make decisions, for me it is another summer of not even riding very much, most of my riding has been the weekends when I do the motorcycle instructor thing.

We just moved to a new house and that doesn't help things either.

What ever rally or meet n eat folks are going to, have a blast, be safe, and enjoy.

Hopefully our paths will cross with others down the road whether it be somewhere here in Ontario or in NY state or Pa where we have been known to point the front wheel and follow it.

Mike

Guest divey
:95:,,, and just when I got a new bike to break in :95:

Your right Steamer,, also seems like the chit/chat around this place has been quieter too - thinking I get feeling better I am gonna go chase the front wheel on the new scoot and knock on some doors all over North America - make sure everyone is ok out there :big-grin-emoticon:

Yeah, quit procrastinating and get up North will ya!! Doug

I thought I'd have plenty of time to do everything when I retired. But, both of my bikes need work and I keep ignoring them and working on my truck, car, boat, house, and doing my house husband stuff. My wife is working 50 hours a week so I do the cooking, cleaning, washing clothes etc. I need to look for another contract job so I can get out of all this work!!!!

Steamer,

Im gonna point out the elephant in the room. Most of the folks in this joint are getting old. Bottom line. When you get old, you have all kinda things that can sideline ya, i.e.: Funds aren't what they used to be, health isn't what it used to be, energy and interest isn't what it used to be, been there done that itus. Plus, add to the mix that Yamaha has abandoned us, and well, it all adds up to a site full of old folks riding old bikes that are becoming more and more obsolete with each passing day. For some time now, members have been moving to other bike brands and slowly trickling the interesting conversations that have went on in the past. I think a good barometer is Cowpuc. He has been our crazy brother that everytime you turned around, he, Tip, and Tweeks were running off somewhere around the country sending pics and stories that made us all envious. Now, even Puc has settled a bit and not running with the energy he once was. So, if pic isn't doing it, then I'd say most of the rest of our members are REALLY slowing down and losing interest.

However, I HAVE HOPE! I know one thing, ya never count a buncha old folks out! We shall rise again! Tooch's epic journey very likely lit the fire for some of us to burn with traveling desire. And, I did just recently see the pics and vids of an awesome hotdog MG&E somewhere up yonder,

Changing circumstances for me. My job of 15yr with good pay and benefits went away. Then out of work for almost 2 years. SO now the part time job has no vacation time and 30 hours a week from late Aug to mid June. So not much going on during summer, its FREAKIN A HOT. Not many events going on that are reasonably close. I would have rode up to Wisconsin for that deal, but didnt know if I could get a kitchen pass, and I got nobody to ride with on long distances anymore. Funds are a bit on the watchful side to as my work is only part time now. So yea I guess life is dealing me a hand thats hard to play for now.

For us it's usually a lack of $$$ that keeps us from all the rally's & M&E'S. We make as many as possible. WNY & WV international will be on our list this year with a few more weekend excursions. I followed the rainbow to the end and all I found was a gas station! I'm gonna check the other end.....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It looks like I could copy and paste what some others have said. It seems like I am on a two to three year cycle with medical issues. I can’t ride for about six months, they I can for a year or two. Then up pops another issue and I have to start all over again. Each time I can’t quite get back to a total recovery. This started back in 2009 and I just had a Dr appointment today and I am starting another cycle. Age and too many miles is carrying me down hill. My heart wants to be at all the events but I just can’t.

Steamer,

Im gonna point out the elephant in the room. Most of the folks in this joint are getting old. Bottom line. When you get old, you have all kinda things that can sideline ya, i.e.: Funds aren't what they used to be, health isn't what it used to be, energy and interest isn't what it used to be, been there done that itus. Plus, add to the mix that Yamaha has abandoned us, and well, it all adds up to a site full of old folks riding old bikes that are becoming more and more obsolete with each passing day. For some time now, members have been moving to other bike brands and slowly trickling the interesting conversations that have went on in the past. I think a good barometer is Cowpuc. He has been our crazy brother that everytime you turned around, he, Tip, and Tweeks were running off somewhere around the country sending pics and stories that made us all envious. Now, even Puc has settled a bit and not running with the energy he once was. So, if pic isn't doing it, then I'd say most of the rest of our members are REALLY slowing down and losing interest.

However, I HAVE HOPE! I know one thing, ya never count a buncha old folks out! We shall rise again! Tooch's epic journey very likely lit the fire for some of us to burn with traveling desire. And, I did just recently see the pics and vids of an awesome hotdog MG&E somewhere up yonder,

:scared: WHAT IN THE WILD WILD WORLD OF BLOWN MENINGA SEALS IS THIS :95:,,, I thought all this stuff I been going thru medically was just a phase or something - you mean to tell me all this stuff is because of old age - meaning it I will have to permanently slow down:no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no:... Well I tell you guys one thing - I aint taking this laying down - THATS FOR SURE!! :rain2:

Short story time!! When my 4 kids were little we used to wrestle.. I'd have one on each leg and two across my belly holding my arms down..Then they'ld scream - we got you down Daddy (can still hear em giggling - yelling those words)!! Then I would laugh and say "you guys aint got me down - look at my hand - I can still move my little finger".. My kids still remember that too and have each, at some time or another, quoted those words back to me when going thru rough times = "Maybe hard Dad but I can still move my finger" :cool10:...

It's been a rough year and a half of chasing medical issues and it has taken a lot of wind out my sails and ok,, maybe that Elephant In The Room is a lot heavier than those 4 little kids were BUT - I can still move my finger and I AM COMING BACK!!!! I HAVE TO - I HAVE A NEW BIKE NAMED TWEEKSIS THAT TIP AND I GOTTA GO WEAR OUT!!:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

:scared: WHAT IN THE WILD WILD WORLD OF BLOWN MENINGA SEALS IS THIS :95:,,, I thought all this stuff I been going thru medically was just a phase or something - you mean to tell me all this stuff is because of old age - meaning it I will have to permanently slow down:no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no:... Well I tell you guys one thing - I aint taking this laying down - THATS FOR SURE!! :rain2:

Short story time!! When my 4 kids were little we used to wrestle.. I'd have one on each leg and two across my belly holding my arms down..Then they'ld scream - we got you down Daddy (can still hear em giggling - yelling those words)!! Then I would laugh and say "you guys aint got me down - look at my hand - I can still move my little finger".. My kids still remember that too and have each, at some time or another, quoted those words back to me when going thru rough times = "Maybe hard Dad but I can still move my finger" :cool10:...

It's been a rough year and a half of chasing medical issues and it has taken a lot of wind out my sails and ok,, maybe that Elephant In The Room is a lot heavier than those 4 little kids were BUT - I can still move my finger and I AM COMING BACK!!!! I HAVE TO - I HAVE A NEW BIKE NAMED TWEEKSIS THAT TIP AND I GOTTA GO WEAR OUT!!:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Attaboy Puc!!! I was hoping my post would perk you up!

I seem to be doing about the same amount of traveling as last year. I am camping this weekend with member Dave Wells in central Ohio and then the following week am planning on going to the Ontario Canada Rally. I am traveling and camping twice in August (WNY Rally being one of them) and then have three camping trips scheduled for September (WV International Rally, is one) and one in October. I camp with members from two other groups as well as VR members. Camping and having a Senior Pass for camping in National Parks allows me to afford to travel at a reasonable cost. Since I am retired and on a fixed income now, I have to budget for these trips. My age is catching up to me because I can't seem to put in as many miles each day, as I used to. A 12 hour riding day seems to take a lot more energy than it used to and the heat this year, while traveling, seems to take it's toll also. But, I will continue as long as I can do it physically. At 70 years old, I'm not sure how much longer I can ride.

But, to answer your question, Bob, I still hang around here (the Forum) almost everyday and don't plan on changing that. I seem to spend less time than previous years because of other circumstances. Yard maintenance, pool upkeep and running the household seems to take more of my time. Also, taking care of my wife, whom has had a few more medical problems which requires much more of my time that it used to.

I hope to stay active for a few more years.

Jim

Absolutely, life gets in the way. You get 80 hrs vaca??? How'd ya swing that?....I get 40....

Went to MD, ...Planning on going to WNY....Gonna try to join some folks in Pataskala for a ride this weekend.

When I retire I'll have more time....which reminds me, ...I'm runnin' late...gotta get to work.:yikes:

Well I get a decent amount of vacation. Mine accrues daily and starts over each year. Right now I have 4 1/2 weeks of vacation due and it is still accruing daily. So I could get some time off. I don't really now what our problem is. Just seems that there are always things either business or personal that prevent me from actually taking the time and going somewhere. Money is always part of it also but due to all my business travel I also get a lot of free hotel nights. Right now I have about 25 free hotel nights accumulated. So gas and food is about all that we have to pay for. So I have no real excuses.

For me it is basically just life getting in the way. Being a farmer, summer is obviously the busy time. My boys are trying to get established as well. I now currently farm almost double what I did 5 years ago with the same equipment. More time getting to the crops, but more importantly, more time fixing stuff. But the biggest problem for me and why you don't see me at any gatherings is that my wife wont ride with me. Its hard to take extended time off without her. She does come out to Sturgis for a few days I the car, and I get a few on the bike by myself. But other than that, I cant expect to take off more time in the summer without her and the family. I still have a 13 year old at home as well. So I get Sturgis and a few short rides during the summer and that's it, but ill take what I can get.

Just got to thinking, my bike is a 2011 and I put 5500 miles on it the first year. It now has about 13500 on it. I ride less and less each year. Trying to help the boys get started in the farming game really takes a lot of time, but it is well worth it.

My Spin?? WE are all getting old. It's been 40+ years since the first Venture hit the deck and we were in our 30's and 40's. It appealed to us because at that time we were entering that transition stage of our lives when we were somewhere between a crotch rocket and looking for something cool and comfortable. WE also had a streak of rebel in us and wanted something that wasn't run of the mill. Ergo, we were smitten by the Venture. Fast forward 30-40 years, and the Venture no longer has the appeal that it once had, plus it's been discontinued. Those younger riders in their 30's and 40's, who would fill the ranks, are looking for something elsewhere. The general VR population is slowing down through old age and attrition, and those of us hard line staunch faithfuls are still talking the talk, but are finding it harder to walk the walk. Most us us are retired, and have the time to attend gatherings, so time isn't an issue. Most of us have extra spendable income, so affordability isn't an issue. Desire, or lack of it, is. Personally I remember when planning a ride was exciting, and something to look forward to, but as the years started piling up, long rides are no longer fun. Several a year dropped to one, and then they were no longer enjoyable. I think we all try to extend our Venture riding, via trailering to and from a gathering or triking the scoot, but at some point in time even these will not be enough. The one thing we can all hang onto are our memories and experiences, and sharing them here at VR.Org.... :thumbsup2:

Edited by Condor