IGNORED

Killed a Cow/Steer

VegasVic

I hit a small (300 - 400 ) cow or steer in California yesterday. I was headed home to Vegas from a 3 day ride with 4 buddies, we had just turned onto 166 from the 101 near Santa Maria. There were cattle ranches on both sides of the road, all fenced in and I saw a coyote out in the middle of the field. Just up to around 55, I was leading the group when a black cow comes out of the bushes on the right side directly in front of me. It was around 30 feet away, saw me tried to stop and fell down. I had time to say "oh S t" and grab brakes. I ran over it's rear legs and the hind end hit the right side axle, fairing and crash bars. Thanks God or my guardian angel, I was able to stay up and stop up the road. The impact crushed the crash bars into the foot brake and floorboard pushing them into my foot and ankle. I'm sore and swollen, but think it's ok. When I climbed off t he VR, the cow was gone, my buddies said it dragged itself back into the bushes, where it died not long afterwards.

My bud at the tailgunner has race training and accident avoidance training. He said there was no way I could have missed it. I'm grateful that it fell down or I probably wouldn't be typing this. That VR is a heavy, solid bike. We were able to borrow a crow bar from the CHP officer and bend the bars back so the bike was drivable, and continue on home to Vegas. The trip up and down the PCH 1 to Monterey and the back hills above Santa Barbara were awesome.

Everyone stay safe out there!!

Good to hear luck was on your side:2143:. We had a sport bike that was not so lucky! Running at hight speed in the dark T-boned a deer in the road:sign07:, squid bike parts could be seen for a 100 yards stretch along that road.:eek:

My house is in the country and there are many cattle farms nearby. I always proceed carefully when in my cage or bike. I have met many black Angus cattle on the road, that have found a hole in the fence while looking for greener grass. They are very docile and a horn moves them out of the way. I am glad that you faired well with you encounter.

Vic. Glad that you are ok. Was reading in the Sun paper that a while back a motorcyclist hit some wild boares on Hwy.101. Got hurt pretty bad. He sued Cal Trans or the county because he proved that they knew of the problem and did nothing to make it safer. He won $1.8 mil.

Sure happy your ok.

In a split second.. that is all it takes... a split second and it really amazes me how much can really happen in that split second..

Again, glad to hear you are OK. :thumbsup2:

Vic. Glad that you are ok. Was reading in the Sun paper that a while back a motorcyclist hit some wild boares on Hwy.101. Got hurt pretty bad. He sued Cal Trans or the county because he proved that they knew of the problem and did nothing to make it safer. He won $1.8 mil.

Actually, it was 8.6 million, and he drunk when he wrecked.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/270060

But back on topic....

The rancher that owns that cow is liable for the damages to your bike.

Interesting article. Last sentence caught my eye.

"As a side note, Rogers’ wife Kristin Finn, was awarded $500,000 for loss of consortium."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VegasVic, Glad you made it out alright! Thank God for God. :)

i was going to say that being a farmer myself, the owner of that cow should have insurance and is responsible for that cow. the policeman shouldve wrote up a report, and the farmers insurance should pay. Good to hear that you are ok

Vic, Im glad to hear your OK. The wife and i wacked a 1500 lb horse about 2years ago.It totaled our 05 RSV but luckily we were fine. We have cattle on our farm and its my biggest fear,that they get out and cause someone injury. I hope you recover fully.Chris

Glad your ok! Last summer I came around a curve(at night) in the fog riding 2 up and there was a horse standing across my lane. Luckily no one was coming the other way and I swerved around it.-Jack

Edited by royalstarjac
added (at night)

I hit a small (300 - 400 ) cow or steer in California yesterday.

I ran over it's rear legs and the hind end hit the right side axle, fairing and crash bars.

my buddies said it dragged itself back into the bushes, where it died not long afterwards.

You didn't even help yourself, to some groundbeef????? :stickpoke:

Nice to hear, you are more or less OK. :thumbsup2: