IGNORED

Avon Venom & wet roads

Jethroish

Needing new tires soon, so:

For those of you that run Venoms on your bikes, how are they on wet roads or in rain? Not that I go out looking for rain to ride in, but it happens some times. Just to look at them, they don't look as though they would channel away the water.

I usually cook pretty good on wet freeways - usually continue to pass most of the cars that are slowing down. In the twisties I slow down a bit, but still move along. In all conditions, even when the water sheets are so bad I actually have to slow down just to see, the Avons have NEVER hydroplaned or given me any hint of instability in those conditions. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Needing new tires soon, so:

For those of you that run Venoms on your bikes, how are they on wet roads or in rain? Not that I go out looking for rain to ride in, but it happens some times. Just to look at them, they don't look as though they would channel away the water.

I have put on 2600 miles on my very first set on a gen1.So far,they are great in the rain.

I run Avon's with the smaller front and at all speeds they are the best I've ever ridden in rain. BTW just put a new front on and I got 28000 miles on it. I'm at 14000 on this rear tire and had the shop look at they said it has at least another 4000 miles on it, which will be in another 45 days.:thumbsup:

I met a sudden heavy rain from Douglas to Pearson, Georgia. It was scary seeing a good four inches of water making a pretty strong cross-current across the pavement, as it flowed toward drainage. First apply prayer. Then be glad gave you the sense to put on Avons. I never felt any slippage, while throwing up a wall of water around the bike. Don't forget to give thanks after that's over.

since we are on the subject has any one ever run both dunlop elite and avons and compared them

I dont think the Elite is in the stock Venture size are they? They may be in the smaller size but when you run Avons in MY OPINION,not to stir a hornets nest, it is unnecessary to run the smaller front tir size,the Avons Stock size made a world of difference on mineand yes Ive ridden hard,very hard rain,wet snow and high winds plus rain , never slipped. Tom

Saddlebum has a 1st Gen and yes indeed they still have the stock sizes. Just put 2 brand new ones on mine due to the front was way old, and the rear was worn out. I've been a little concerned about recent members problems with Avons, and my dealer said he had a few complaints from customers about the Avons. Perhaps they had a bad batch get out...

Saddlebum has a 1st Gen and yes indeed they still have the stock sizes. Just put 2 brand new ones on mine due to the front was way old, and the rear was worn out. I've been a little concerned about recent members problems with Avons, and my dealer said he had a few complaints from customers about the Avons. Perhaps they had a bad batch get out...

I meant 2ND Gens..sorry..BTW Bongobobny,WELCOME HOME!!!

I just put a set of Avons on mine 2 weeks ago, stock size. Used Dyna Beads for balancing.There is such a big difference over the stock Dunloflops. Only got 11k miles on rear, dunloflop it felt like riding on a solid tire and the wear pattern was awful. Handeling is much better and small road cracks don't throw the bike around, with Avons. I am well pleased with them so far.

I just put a set of Avons on mine 2 weeks ago, stock size. Used Dyna Beads for balancing.There is such a big difference over the stock Dunloflops. Only got 11k miles on rear, dunloflop it felt like riding on a solid tire and the wear pattern was awful. Handeling is much better and small road cracks don't throw the bike around, with Avons. I am well pleased with them so far.

I have 12,600 on the original D404s. Looking at/measuring the tread, I have probably have another 3000 miles left on the rear. Front tire "looks" good, but I have noticed that, as it wears, I feel a little meandering in turns.

Avon Venoms, the only way to go. Never had a problem with them slipping or hydro-planing on my 1st Gen................When its time for new tires for the VStar 1300.............Avon Venoms..............

You've had that bike for a year now and you're not swapping tires yet? :confused24:

What no ridin, sheeze what a waste of a good bike. :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::crying:

Avon Venoms, the only way to go. .................When its time for new tires for the VStar 1300.............Avon Venoms..............

You've had that bike for a year now and you're not swapping tires yet? :confused24:

What no ridin, sheeze what a waste of a good bike. :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::crying:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: You go, George!

But I have to agree about the Venoms. I ride them on my 1400 Intruder and won't use anything else. I was at a track day at Barber Race Track in Abalama and was talking to the tire guy. I figure since he does racing events, he should know so I asked him about the Venoms. This was about a year or so after they came out and he said that in the north, where they race in the rain a lot more, that is the tire of choice because it handles the wet so well.

I have done over 100mph in a pouring rain, slowing to 90 for the sweepers and had no problem with them. Of course my ar$$ was so tight you couldn't have driven a pin up it with a sledgehammer!!!:rotf:

I wish I could use them on the 1st gen, but I don't have the suspension dialed in enough yet. I'll get it there though!

Some people have way too much time and money on their hands, but I am not one of them, as soon as the original tires wear out off they come...........Some of us do have to work for a living rather than ride all the time...........:stirthepot::stirthepot:Besides, not a year yet, not till Sept 6, 2008..........

I have about 5,000 miles on my Avon Venoms and they do very well in the rain. Got caught last week about 25 miles from the house in one of the worst thunders storms I've ever riden in. That short trip removed any doubts I'd had about how they would perform on wet roads.

OK, has anyone else paid $335 to remove old MC tires, balance and install new Vernon's for the RSV??? Just a question.

No high jack just curious.

Moakster

Some here have reported they did the whole take-off and replace thing, but I don't know how much they paid. In hind sight, I wish I had done that on my 05 instead of waiting for the horrible stock tires to wear out. But I didn't realize how much of an improvement I would get until I actually replaced them, so being a naturally cheap guy, I waited until I needed tires. On the plus side, it gave me lots of opportunity to test and record changes from different tires and combinations. Oh well ...

Goose

OK, has anyone else paid $335 to remove old MC tires, balance and install new Vernon's for the RSV??? Just a question.

No high jack just curious.

Moakster

I did on my first gen a couple years ago while in Sturgis. Developed a huge bulge in the tire and had to get new ones there. Got raped for the installation and didnt even get kissed! And it was more than that...closer to 400 and after the conversion to Canadian it came over 500 bucks. But Venoms are a good tire. For both down at Sturgis was around 2oo bucks and the rest was installation.