IGNORED

All Accidents are Preventable

Freebird

That is what I'm always told.  I've taken several safety courses for the beginners motorcycle course, advanced riders course, and a couple of company managed courses when I worked for companies and was provided company cars.  Every one of then have stated that "all accidents are preventable".  I've always called BS on that.  I've had a couple of accidents, in cars, that I see no way that I could have prevented.  Here is a video of a motorcycle accident that I honestly don't see how it could have been prevented.  Sorry, I suppose that those of you who do not have a Facebook account won't be able to see it.  The fact is, not all accidents are preventable short of staying home in bed and wrapped in bubble wrap.  Even then, things could happen.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/872221967477962?mibextid=0NULKw&fs=e&s=TIeQ9V

I feel "All accidents are preventable" but not always by everyone involved in them.  At road speeds it is sometimes impossible to avoid being hit by another automobile or other object.  Sadly, too many people, and I include myself, allow "Things" to distract them. 

Thanks for posting that, Freebird.

When I saw the title, this is the exact video that came to mind. There was nothing that the rider could have done based on the camera view. Could it have been avoided if others were paying attention while driving? Yes, but the rider has no control over someone else. @Steve Sabove is absolutely correct. Only you can prevent your accidents and you cannot prevent the status of others.  BTW  I read this rider survived. Pretty badly hurt though. 

Nothing the motorcycle rider could have done to prevent his portion of the accident, the preventable part happened when one vehicle violated the right of way 

of the other vehicle, causing one of them to hit the rider and bike, if you consider it as two accidents, the first was completely preventable, the second one no, just wrong place at the wrong time.

I agree with your comments.  I just remember when I took my beginners riding course many years ago, the instructor was an older gentleman probably about as old as I am now.  :)   He said that he had been riding for about 50 years and had never had an accident.  He said that all accidents were preventable as long as you watch out for yourself.  I understand that all accidents are preventable if EVERYBODY does their part but that's not what he said.  Sometimes you can do everything right and still be involved in an accident.  Hey, that's just the way life is.  We can only do all that we can and hope for the best.  I've read a number of stories where people were sitting in their living room or sleeping in their bed when a car crashed through their house or even an airplane crashed into their house.  Not ALL accidents are preventable by YOU or me.

• Like 1

Had a REALLY close call a few weeks back.   

In my big ol' Ram Pickup with the wife, heading home from helping a friend with a boiler install.    Was near Y-Town, on 680,  speed limit 65.    I was in the passing lane behind another pickup.   Plenty of room between the truck and I, and we were both doing about 70.   I was satisfied with the speed...point being that I was NOT tailgating.   We were both slowly overtaking a SUV in the middle lane, and that SUV had a block of lettering as a rear window decal.    I glanced over to try to read what the decal said, and did notice with my peripheal that the pickup in front of me had sped up and got in front of the SUV.   I turned my head to look ahead and there was a mini-van STOPPED in the passing lane.    In that flash of a second I ascertained that I was going to clip the rear driver corner of this van, as I lurched the vehicle left, (squealing tires) and dunno how I missed it, but I went into the median....stayed on the median for a few yards and gently coaxed it back onto the road....    Lisa looked over at me and said "How the hell did you miss that guy"...I dunnno.....Hand of God....   Spent some time on that drive home repeatedly thanking the Good Lord for what didn't happen....

I think it's that sort of thing that shows us that there's more than we know going on.   Like many of you have had...That situation left me with NO time to think, but simply react...and I did so in a way that prevented catastrophe.    I think that "reaction" is either our true self, unbound by the limits of this body, stepping in, or it truly is the hand of God helping us out......Most of us have had these things happen....some of us (me) have had it happen more than once.

I think that should give us all something to think about, especially on this holiday, when we celebrate the birth of the one person who acted / acts as a bridge between this world and the next.

Happy Birthday Jesus....And THANK YOU !!!!.....Can't wait to meet ya....

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 11:00 AM, uncledj said:

Had a REALLY close call a few weeks back.   

In my big ol' Ram Pickup with the wife, heading home from helping a friend with a boiler install.    Was near Y-Town, on 680,  speed limit 65.    I was in the passing lane behind another pickup.   Plenty of room between the truck and I, and we were both doing about 70.   I was satisfied with the speed...point being that I was NOT tailgating.   We were both slowly overtaking a SUV in the middle lane, and that SUV had a block of lettering as a rear window decal.    I glanced over to try to read what the decal said, and did notice with my peripheal that the pickup in front of me had sped up and got in front of the SUV.   I turned my head to look ahead and there was a mini-van STOPPED in the passing lane.    In that flash of a second I ascertained that I was going to clip the rear driver corner of this van, as I lurched the vehicle left, (squealing tires) and dunno how I missed it, but I went into the median....stayed on the median for a few yards and gently coaxed it back onto the road....    Lisa looked over at me and said "How the hell did you miss that guy"...I dunnno.....Hand of God....   Spent some time on that drive home repeatedly thanking the Good Lord for what didn't happen....

I think it's that sort of thing that shows us that there's more than we know going on.   Like many of you have had...That situation left me with NO time to think, but simply react...and I did so in a way that prevented catastrophe.    I think that "reaction" is either our true self, unbound by the limits of this body, stepping in, or it truly is the hand of God helping us out......Most of us have had these things happen....some of us (me) have had it happen more than once.

I think that should give us all something to think about, especially on this holiday, when we celebrate the birth of the one person who acted / acts as a bridge between this world and the next.

Happy Birthday Jesus....And THANK YOU !!!!.....Can't wait to meet ya....

Have had similar things happen to me. Story is: there is an angel riding on each of the four corners of your vehicle but when you do stupid (speeding?) then they get off. Happy New Year!

Couldn't watch video as it said problems with it.

2 Thursdays ago had a side-swipe incident with car in front slowing down stopping and not turning onto street he was going to. Guy taking his driving test in his own car and hesitated too long and I stopped beside his rear bumper on passenger side missing him BUT I lost footing and bike fell over and put a couple scratches on his plastic cover and a couple on my front fender.  No harm to me as I just stepped off. Police just happened to pull up just after and we picked bike up. Rode to reporting center  and took statement. No charges! Payed out of pocket as it was only around $600 and guy said that was OK. Put in as report only to insurance BUT they put down as at fault so will have to see what that will cost me.

On 12/26/2022 at 6:41 AM, Marcarl said:

Have had similar things happen to me. Story is: there is an angel riding on each of the four corners of your vehicle but when you do stupid (speeding?) then they get off. Happy New Year!

Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly.

• Like 1

Hmm, accidents are not preventable, by definition.  If they were, we wouldn't have a word for them, it seems to me.  Accidents, however are avoidable.  To avoid motorcycle accidents, one must just simply avoid riding a motorcycle.  This is why I stopped riding after my son was born...to avoid having a motorcycle accident.  I finally accepted that God has a plan for me, my life and eventually how it ends.  If my life ends on a motorcycle, I will take it as a sign God really loves me and his plan was to end my life and bring me home while doing something I really enjoy.  A massive heart attack while having sex with my wife would be fine too.... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, circa1968 said:

Hmm, accidents are not preventable, by definition.  If they were, we wouldn't have a word for them, it seems to me.  Accidents, however are avoidable.  To avoid motorcycle accidents, one must just simply avoid riding a motorcycle.  This is why I stopped riding after my son was born...to avoid having a motorcycle accident.  I finally accepted that God has a plan for me, my life and eventually how it ends.  If my life ends on a motorcycle, I will take it as a sign God really loves me and his plan was to end my life and bring me home while doing something I really enjoy.  A massive heart attack while having sex with my wife would be fine too.... 

That might be a little traumatic for your wife.