IGNORED

One of the worlds greatest mysteries solved? Is the 2nd Gen clutch whine louder than

cowpuc

After borrowing a friend of mines bike while he snoozed at my house from being tired after riding from Arizona to Michigan (he left the keys in it LOL) - Tippy (my wife) and set out to solve some of the worlds deepest mysteries/questions - like do the 2nd Gens "whine" louder than the 1st Gens - and actually did go home with some answers!! Yep,, IMHO,, the 2nd Gens are a little louder.. THANK YOU VIDEOARIZONA FOR LETTING US RIDE YOUR AWESOME SCOOT!! NICE SCOOT and what a special treat brother!!

HI VAZ!! :big-grin-emoticon:

You are welcome! Glad you enjoyed the ride! Note: It would have been quieter though if you had closed the vent...lots of wind through that little vent!

My personal feeling mirrors yours. I know the noise coming up from the tires, the road and the motor are magnified by the fairing and sent right to our ears. The noise got louder when I lowered the forks, making me tilt the fairing upward/forward a touch to make clearance room for the rubber isolators that isolate the fairing from the handlebars...

Ah well...but I sure liked the handling better with the nose lower....

Ya know my 09 didnt really have any whine to it. But I worked on a fellows 05 or 07 and it was really loud. Sometimes I wonder if its not how they are rode and taken care of early in their life.

I've a first gen and a second gen and a second gen and can tell ya first hand the whine is way worse on the second gen.

It's annoying, but it's just one of those things. When I focus on it, it bothers me, but I am usually able to put it to the back of my mind and enjoy the ride. I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it had I not read about it on VR...lol... :Cartoon_397:

The solution...."i" basket. I have an '09 and no whine. Think it was 2008/2009 that they went to the "i" basket.

Someone plumbed an oil feed to the basket which they said helped but haven't heard much about that solution since.

I dunno, I kind of like the George Jetson sound!! Sexi "purrs" because it is happy!

I'll never forget when I went past the Hannigan factory on the way to B2Dad's place, Sexi let out a really loud "Brearrrrr" like she remembered the place...

I dunno, I kind of like the George Jetson sound!! Sexi "purrs" because it is happy!

I'll never forget when I went past the Hannigan factory on the way to B2Dad's place, Sexi let out a really loud "Brearrrrr" like she remembered the place...

I stuck a gear driven supercharger on an 03 88inch Twin Cam HD on"ce and distinctly remember telling me neighbor that I had the only HD in the area that "whurrrred" almost as prudy as my 1st Gens... :big-grin-emoticon:

Hey Bongo,,, speakin about building motors,,,, any more word on yours??????

So far I've been lucky, my '99 and '07 don't whine, but I had a friend stop by with his low mile '99 and when he left you could hear it a block away. So the whine varies from bike to bike, and probably the more miles the quieter it gets?? There hasn't been a lot of discussion about the 'I' basket mod for quiet some time since our bikes started accumulating the miles.. It used to be a hot topic.. I kinda liked the sound that my '83 1stGen had, and it wasn't all the time. Just on occasion, but when it did it was mild, and sounded like a turbo.... :thumbsup2:

Ya know my 09 didnt really have any whine to it. But I worked on a fellows 05 or 07 and it was really loud. Sometimes I wonder if its not how they are rode and taken care of early in their life.

I believe it was '09 where they had taken care of most the whine from the factory. My '07 was loud, even after the warranty replacement of the clutch basket. My '12 has nearly no whine

Hey Bongo,,, speakin about building motors,,,, any more word on yours??????

Well, I sent him my set of carbs to him at the beginning of the month that Dingy rebuilt several years ago for him to try out on the dyno, but I haven't heard from him yet. I called this week and left a message but no response. I figure he is super busy with the new shop and relocating and trying to get caught up from his hernia operation so I haven't pushed it. The engine is supposedly done but the carb set that was on the engine was in very bad shape.

I hope to get everything back together before I'm in a wheelchair...

I did a search of this site and a lot of reading on the subject of clutch whine. One poster cracked me up. He said he knew exactly what it took to get rid of the whine. 1st you install the i basket and when that doesn't work you change the type of oil and when that doesn't work you sell the bike on craigslist and buy a Goldwing!

A guy on the F150 forum who works in an oil co. lab, said that synthetic oil won't stick to the engine parts and it drains to the base leaving the engine unprotected on cold startup. He said that an additive has to added to synthetic oil to make it tacky. This is a quote, "It's tackifier just like those used in most synthetic oils. The synthetic based oils doesn't like to stick to the parts when the engine isn't running. They use a tackifier to keep a film on the parts so there isn't a dry start condition.". So, perhaps dino oil would be better? I remember Flying Fool posting that he doesn't use Valvoline because it drained to the base leaving the top of his engine to rust. I don't remember if he was talking about valvoline syn or dino.

I have a 99 rsv but got a chance to ride @Freebird beautiful midnight edition, boy does his bike whine but not nearly as much as Don does!

Should not be an issue for him since he barely rides it! Lol.[emoji48][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

A guy on the F150 forum who works in an oil co. lab, said that synthetic oil won't stick to the engine parts and it drains to the base leaving the engine unprotected on cold startup. He said that an additive has to added to synthetic oil to make it tacky. This is a quote,

"It's tackifier just like those used in most synthetic oils.

They use a tackifier to keep a film on the parts so there isn't a dry start condition.".

So, perhaps dino oil would be better? I remember Flying Fool posting that he doesn't use Valvoline because it drained to the base leaving the top of his engine to rust. I don't remember if he was talking about valvoline syn or dino.

I've used synthetics since the 80's it has proven to to extend engine life. Valvoline was one of the top standards in synthetics although I have no idea who is top of the heap these days.

Cold starts are better with synthetic oils, and most have rust protection. With synthetic they target performance and stability is chosen during the engineering.

From almost all reports on the clutch basket whine since the RSV was first introduced in 1999, oil choice has really not made any difference. I've used Mobil 1 Racing 4T full synthetic motorcycle oil since buying my first RSV in April of '99, it is my preference and is what I will continue using. This is my 3rd RSV and the first one that I felt had a louder than normal whine. There are other very minor issues that people have reported over the years. One is that they have a hard time finding neutral. When I bought my first RSV, the first service was included in the deal. I took it in to have that first service done and they used Yamalube. I left the next day on about a week long trip and within about a thousand miles, I was having a difficult time finding neutral and the engine was just generally noisier. As soon as I got home, I swapped to Mobil 1, which I used in everything else already, and never again had any issues. Mobil 1 is just my choice, not trying to convince anybody else that they should be using it.