IGNORED

Too much stuff...

Condor

While sitting here at the 'put, I got to thinking. How do we know we have too much STUFF...??

#1 Something breaks and you have the part and tools to fix it,... but it takes you all day to find them.

# 2 While searching for the tool you run into a lot of neat stuff and you can't remember where it came from.

# 3 You have a family reputation of having 3 of everything.

#4 You have reached MAX DENSITY and have no place to store that item you just picked up in a garage sale.

#5 You buy anything if it's cheap enough whether you need it or not, because someday you might??

And... one day you wake up and Realize you are a HOARDER!!!

:crying::crying::crying::bawling:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guilty to all of the above BUT....

I was doing hardwood floor in my family room one Sunday night. Was cutting out the floor register (heat) with my electric jig saw. The hardwood is Ash and part way thru the motor on the jigsaw burned out. It was an older jig saw but Ash is a very hard wood and the motor couldn't take it. Sunday night, all the stores are closed...what do you do? Not complete the install that evening? Or...go the garage and get the battery powered jigsaw you recently picked up (just in case).

I told my wife the jigsaw burned out, went to the garage and came in with the battery powered jigsaw. She looked at me funny when I came in, she didn't know I had a back-up tool.

I finished the family room floor that evening.

I have multiple drills....

- electric drill I've had since the 80's

- electric hammer/drill

- battery powered drill (okay...two battery powered drills)

- battery powered impact gun

(don't count - it IS 5. But each drill has a purpose. Nothing has the power of a corded tool. Battery powered are good for working outside)

Compound mitre saws...2. One is a compound mitre chop saw, the other a compound mitre sliding saw. I was replacing carpet on my stairs with hardwood and the chop saw wouldn't cut the 10 1/4" width of the tread. I HAD TO buy a sliding saw.

Can never have enough screw drivers... wrenches....

So, tools should be an item you NEED to have extras and back-ups of.

#1 Something breaks and you have the part and tools to fix it,... but it takes you all day to find them. =>Guilty. I have 3 locations for my tools. Workbench in the garage, basement, and the last place I used it

# 2 While searching for the tool you run into a lot of neat stuff and you can't remember where it came from. => Guilty

# 3 You have a family reputation of having 3 of everything. => Guilty

#4 You have reached MAX DENSITY and have no place to store that item you just picked up in a garage sale. => Guilty

#5 You buy anything if it's cheap enough whether you need it or not, because someday you might?? => Guilty

I don't know @Condor ... Sounds to me like you just need a bigger garage

I'm about as guilty as many here have noted with their list of too much stuff. I increased my garages size by a third a number of years ago then about 5 years ago added another extension effectively doubling the original garages size. Guess what? It's still not big enough for what I'd prefer it to be size wise. But ordnances says nope I've run out of space on my lot, so I'll just have to continue on at my present state.

I'm about as guilty as many here have noted with their list of too much stuff. I increased my garages size by a third a number of years ago then about 5 years ago added another extension effectively doubling the original garages size. Guess what? It's still not big enough for what I'd prefer it to be size wise. But ordnances says nope I've run out of space on my lot, so I'll just have to continue on at my present state.

Yeah Larry. Then the Warden bought the place next door!!!:bang head:

I remember a while ago {OK maybe years ago} Condor you listed you venture collection {hoard}. Is it still the same or have you sold any of them? My son calls me a hoarder but is grateful when I appear with what he needs just for the asking. We who have had nothing when growing up but our needs tend to hang on to some weird stuff occasionally. I still have my old 72 Kaw and picked up my buddies old 72 kaw. Mine is on the short list for a complete go over next winter. My buddies after that. These are the bikes we rode west on back in 74. I have inherited my fathers 72 Kaw Bighorn that will be on the road this year for my morning coffee bike. I'm still hanging on to my old 70 Nova SS which is on a list to massage to. Hey, if nothing else it will be a interesting auction someday. So you see hoarding can be fun. :thumbsup2:

I don't know Condor ... Sounds to me like you just need a bigger garage

That actually is a very scary thought... :yikes: I'd probably be like Carbon One and fill it with more 'STUFF'. What I failed to mention is my garage is at max-density and so are my four enclosed trailers. 8x16, 8x14, 7x14, 6x12.... Added up they're about the size of another garage. I bought the 8x16 to use as a storage for my three RSV's. Yeah....Sure!! :whistling: So I picked up a larger 13x20 Shelter Logic Tent Garage to keep 'm covered during the winter. Now it'll be a chore getting them back out. So I figured I'd pick up another slightly smaller tent, and move the 'STUFF' over to it. HA!! I have a 36'x24' slab with another 14'x66' slab adjacent to it. I have about 15 feet by the back gate that's not covered with something. Oh yeah... the 5x10 utility trailer is parked on it... Oh, did I mention I have a 30' sailboat sitting on another slab, and a 22' Four Winns cuddy cabin on a trailer sitting in the grass because I've run out of cement.

I need to have an Estate Sale.... before the kids call a shrink.... :nanner:

I remember a while ago {OK maybe years ago} Condor you listed you venture collection {hoard}. Is it still the same or have you sold any of them? My son calls me a hoarder but is grateful when I appear with what he needs just for the asking. We who have had nothing when growing up but our needs tend to hang on to some weird stuff occasionally. I still have my old 72 Kaw and picked up my buddies old 72 kaw. Mine is on the short list for a complete go over next winter. My buddies after that. These are the bikes we rode west on back in 74. I have inherited my fathers 72 Kaw Bighorn that will be on the road this year for my morning coffee bike. I'm still hanging on to my old 70 Nova SS which is on a list to massage to. Hey, if nothing else it will be a interesting auction someday. So you see hoarding can be fun. :thumbsup2:

Both of my '83VR's are gone, but nothing else. I think you hit the nail on the head. I didn't have a lot growing up. My Dad had a heart attack when I was in the 3rd or 4th grade, and Mom was the bread winner for most of my early years. My folks did a great job under the circumstances but it didn't include 'Toys'. Dad was the only guy I know who could squeeze a nickle and get two dimes out of it.... So we didn't starve. I guess that's why my brother and I were into sports so much, and hey, it put me through college on a scholarship. So now there's a great psych need to play catch-up..

I wish I had stuff. My wife is the anti-hoarder. She throws everything out. I joke with her that one day I am going to wake up in the garbage can. I can't tell you how many times I have had to go buy something that I know we had and she just up and tossed it. There was one time we were in the basement and she picked up one of my wrenches. In no uncertain terms I told her that she is not to touch any of my tools for any reason no matter what. I tested it once and left a hammer on the counter for two days. Much to my surprise, she left it alone. I also didn't get lunch packed for me for those two days...

I have been trying to downsize, not that I really need to, but I don't want to run out of room. Paint cans is my problem. Something needs paint and I decide what color it will be, by what I have in stock. GREAT!!! another 2 cans in the garbage,,, this is working!!! until the next time and there is no paint to do the job right,,, and before you know it, the store shelve is now in my garage. Wood pieces have the same tendency,,,not my fault, that is all Marca's issue, she keeps coming up with wooden projects, she must think I'm made of wood.

I wish I had stuff. My wife is the anti-hoarder. She throws everything out. I joke with her that one day I am going to wake up in the garbage can. I can't tell you how many times I have had to go buy something that I know we had and she just up and tossed it. There was one time we were in the basement and she picked up one of my wrenches. In no uncertain terms I told her that she is not to touch any of my tools for any reason no matter what. I tested it once and left a hammer on the counter for two days. Much to my surprise, she left it alone. I also didn't get lunch packed for me for those two days...

So the rest of the story is??? So on the third day she fixed you lunch and you can't find the wrench??? :-) :think:

I have been trying to downsize, not that I really need to, but I don't want to run out of room. Paint cans is my problem. Something needs paint and I decide what color it will be, by what I have in stock. GREAT!!! another 2 cans in the garbage,,, this is working!!! until the next time and there is no paint to do the job right,,, and before you know it, the store shelve is now in my garage. Wood pieces have the same tendency,,,not my fault, that is all Marca's issue, she keeps coming up with wooden projects, she must think I'm made of wood.

Yeah me too... sigh!! :sign67:

I had to have a talk with my wife too. I know the garage is not organized and she tends to want to organize it. But then I can't find anything. So, I only allow her to park her car in the garage. She isn't allowed to mess with my stuff! :missingtooth:

When we moved from the house we rented in Burnaby (which had a garage) and moved into the double-wide mobile we bought in Surrey (which had a 10x12 shed) I had to "down size" my JUNK collection. I had STUFF I'd been packing around for 30 or 40 years. Things I gathered along the way, thinking that "one day this will come in handy". Ridiculous things like wiring harnesses off old cars I'd stripped, body bolts/screws, chrome trim retainers..... an ashtray out of a 55 Ford LOL.

I did keep a lot of STUFF though, still thinking "Yes, this I gotta hang onto"

Somehow I managed to fit it all into that 10x12 shed along with my tools.

Then when we sold the double-wide and became full-time RV living, I had to down size again. I couldn't help giving my own head a shake when I suddenly came to the realization that I'd been packing this JUNK around for years and not once did I ever find any use for any of it. So it all went into a yard sale. What didn't get sold either went to the dump or, if I thought I might still find a use for it, it's now in boxes in storage LOL

Guess what I'll be doing AGAIN when we sell the 5th wheel and settle down ???

Next time you are in town bring her into my basement for some shock therapy......