IGNORED

New Star Venture

10spd

Okay, First of all, I wanna give all honor and praise to Your Highness the Pucster. Thanks so much our Brother, for taking one for the team to head out and be our eyes on the ground for the unveiling. Mostly, I'm extremely happy that you and Tip got to experience a road trip again, after all of the health battles you've been dealing with. I'm hoping this is the beginning of us getting to be treated with fabulous ride reports from grand trips you will be taking in the near future.

Secondly, I completely understand the opinion of "a true touring bike has more than 2 cyclinders, and shaft drive." But, even though I prefer my bikes to be more than 2 cylinders, and shaft drive, I have to completely disagree with this opinion. I've said this in other posts, but I feel compelled to say it again, when we are travelling across this great nation on vacation, by far, the vast majority of touring riders we see are on loaded to the gills Harley Davidsons. I don't think that anybody here will dispute that. They are the majority, period. While we all boast that true touring machines must have shaft drive, and such, Harley has persistently went about the business of proving that that notion is simply not true anymore. I have a cousin who, her and her husband over the past 30 years have went through 3 Honda Goldwings. They were crazy Goldwing fanatics. Travelling all 50 states. Going to all the Wing Ding rallys. Crazy fanatics about Honda in general. Well, 4 years ago, they shocked our world, and while they were on a western two week trip, stopped into a Harley Dealer just to gander, and wound up trading their Goldwing for a Road Glide Ultra. They have now toured that thing all over the nation with absolutely raving reviews! They said they would've never thought they would be as happy with a Harley as they are. They actually have now traded for a new bike with the Milwaukee engine and all the new tech stuff Harley offers, and will be leaving next week for a two week trip up through the middle of the country through the UP and into Canada.

Folks, These people, and hundreds of thousand of them just like them are "TOURING" across this nation on air cooled, VTwin, belt driven, loaded to the gills bikes. Yamaha recognized it, and has decided to join the fray to sell more bikes than the traditional way they have tried to go about it. I highly respect them for it, even though, I wish it was a fo cylindah. LOL.

BL

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

....Folks, These people, and hundreds of thousand of them just like them are "TOURING" across this nation on air cooled, VTwin, belt driven, loaded to the gills bikes. Yamaha recognized it, and has decided to join the fray to sell more bikes than the traditional way they have tried to go about it. I highly respect them for it, even though, I wish it was a fo cylindah. LOL.

BL

Very good point and certainly Yamaha wouldn't refer to the new "Venture" as a "transcontinental touring" bike if it has the negatives that we've been associating with Vtwins and belts.

I'd like to see rider reviews rather than magazine reviews. I know we'll get more magazine write ups first so we'll have to wait and see. First and foremost will be how they deal with heat from the engine and how it handles a hot 90F + long day in the saddle.

Be it ever soooo hummmmmble there's nooo place like home - and WE MADE IT!!!!!!!! ..

Puc....did you speak with any of the Yamaha people? Hopefully you pulled Mr. Star aside and expressed your points.

As a former Gen 2 owner and now a Harley owner, I am intrigued by the apparent extreme dislike for the fact the new Venture is a twin. Most of the bikes I've owned have been twins and never really had one I didn't like. My personal experience going from the 4 banger to a twin touring bike is that there is very little difference on the road but obviously more vibration at idle. I would also be concerned with the heat on the air cooled version as my water cooled twin can be warm at times, especially when stopped and at idle in hot weather. I do LOVE the looks of the new Venture however, but not sure I would spring for the kind of money stated which is almost 10K more than a new Gen 2 sold for. Lots of bells and whistles to justify that cost I guess but until they come out with a Trike, I will just wait. As many have stated, rider reviews will be most telling in the future. Just my :2cents:.

Got to admire @cowpuc & Tip for attending the unveiling, wonder if they had any hot dogs ??? :think:

I love the new Venture, but like most here was hoping for an up-date V4. But it came as no surprise that they went with the V Twin. Over the past ten years I have observed on the Interstate and at major bike rally that V Twin bikes out numbered both V4 and 6 cylinder bikes. Yamaha has been making those same observations and it is just business. Time will tell if it was good business or not.

Okay, First of all, I wanna give all honor and praise to Your Highness the Pucster = your swelling my head here Lenny. Thanks so much our Brother, for taking one for the team to head out and be our eyes on the ground for the unveiling = your welcome Brother, the pleasure was all mine = I assure you. Mostly, I'm extremely happy that you and Tip got to experience a road trip again, after all of the health battles you've been dealing with. I'm hoping this is the beginning of us getting to be treated with fabulous ride reports from grand trips you will be taking in the near future = and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for that brother. Gotta tell ya,, I REALLY wanted to stay right there at the Rally for the whole event,, had to experience all we could in a short time, tour a LOT inspite of the rain (wow is it gorgeous out there) and then haul butt for home to catch some med tests today and Dr.'s appointment at 3:15 tomorrow.. This medical stuff is REALLY cramping my style brother!! Did end up with just under 2300 miles all told though - not bad I guess,, for a geezer LOL..

Hey,, ya ever get out there and get chased across Canada by Thunderstorms,,, drop down and cross the Peace Bridge below Niagra Falls (been to the Falls before = wayy touristy,, the Peace Bridge is way more peaceful).. Right on the other side of the bridge from Canada is this AMAZING old Castle.. Someday I am gonna go back and spend some time figuring out what that is - place is HUGE and looks like something from the Knights and jousting days... Oppss,, there I go again,, hijacking.. Must of been a Pirate in a former life...

Secondly, I completely understand the opinion of "a true touring bike has more than 2 cyclinders, and shaft drive." But, even though I prefer my bikes to be more than 2 cylinders, and shaft drive, I have to completely disagree with this opinion. I've said this in other posts, but I feel compelled to say it again, when we are travelling across this great nation on vacation, by far, the vast majority of touring riders we see are on loaded to the gills Harley Davidsons. I don't think that anybody here will dispute that. They are the majority, period. While we all boast that true touring machines must have shaft drive, and such, Harley has persistently went about the business of proving that that notion is simply not true anymore. I have a cousin who, her and her husband over the past 30 years have went through 3 Honda Goldwings. They were crazy Goldwing fanatics. Travelling all 50 states. Going to all the Wing Ding rallys. Crazy fanatics about Honda in general. Well, 4 years ago, they shocked our world, and while they were on a western two week trip, stopped into a Harley Dealer just to gander, and wound up trading their Goldwing for a Road Glide Ultra. They have now toured that thing all over the nation with absolutely raving reviews! They said they would've never thought they would be as happy with a Harley as they are. They actually have now traded for a new bike with the Milwaukee engine and all the new tech stuff Harley offers, and will be leaving next week for a two week trip up through the middle of the country through the UP and into Canada. = totally 100% AWESOME!!! These new HD's are without a doubt = a force to be reckoned with.. Lots has changed thru the years in the Harley world and wayyy for the better IMHO!! PLEASE give your friends a HUGE pat on the back for me and ask them to keep an eye out for stickered covered beat up ol Yamaha out there on the tour = would LOVE to make their aquantance!

Folks, These people, and hundreds of thousand of them just like them are "TOURING" across this nation on air cooled, VTwin, belt driven, loaded to the gills bikes. Yamaha recognized it, and has decided to join the fray to sell more bikes than the traditional way they have tried to go about it. I highly respect them for it, even though, I wish it was a fo cylindah. LOL. = me too Lenny, me too..

BL

Very good point and certainly Yamaha wouldn't refer to the new "Venture" as a "transcontinental touring" bike if it has the negatives that we've been associating with Vtwins and belts.

I'd like to see rider reviews rather than magazine reviews. I know we'll get more magazine write ups first so we'll have to wait and see. First and foremost will be how they deal with heat from the engine and how it handles a hot 90F + long day in the saddle = toured the Dragon and Blue Ridge Parkway a few years ago with friends on a new 2010 Ultra Limited. It was 104 down there and my friends suffered endlessly with the heat = especially when we got in road construction for a half hour.. He complained and I simply told him he best stay out of the desert regions with it. Backups from Lake Tahoe to Folsom are normally 4 or 5 hours = long enough for Roast Beef to be fully cooked. Now that said, I have toured a LOT on Harley's.. My 78 Low Rider Shovel LOVED the heat - was an AWESOME scoot and put a lot of fun miles on it = 1 up where I could perch my legs forward of the hot hot hot engine parts.. Cant even imagine what Tip would go thru sitting back there with the heat from that air cooled motor blowing over her pretty legs..

Puc....did you speak with any of the Yamaha people? Hopefully you pulled Mr. Star aside and expressed your points.

Yep, I sure did and wait till you see what my GREAT BIG MOUTH GOT ME INTO (I SAID "OOHHH POOP" wayyyy to loud when I heard that Strat Motor start up) !! I am uploading a video right now that will explain it all... Me and my BIG MOUTH!!!!

As a former Gen 2 owner and now a Harley owner, I am intrigued by the apparent extreme dislike for the fact the new Venture is a twin. Most of the bikes I've owned have been twins and never really had one I didn't like. My personal experience going from the 4 banger to a twin touring bike is that there is very little difference on the road but obviously more vibration at idle. I would also be concerned with the heat on the air cooled version as my water cooled twin can be warm at times, especially when stopped and at idle in hot weather. I do LOVE the looks of the new Venture however, but not sure I would spring for the kind of money stated which is almost 10K more than a new Gen 2 sold for. Lots of bells and whistles to justify that cost I guess but until they come out with a Trike, I will just wait. As many have stated, rider reviews will be most telling in the future. Just my :2cents:. = good points Dave!! Cant wait to hear more of your thoughts on the heat issues after you folks have a chance to get Candy out and tour some in some high temps.. It will be very interesting to hear your take on the water cooling - personally I think your gonna like it. I too have owned many V-Twins and loved em all too!

Got to admire cowpuc & Tip for attending the unveiling, wonder if they had any hot dogs ??? :think:

Nope - nary a Hot Dog in the ride!! Did have a GREAT Country Fried Steak covered in AWESOME gravy though - thinking I gained 5 pounds over that one.. Saved allllll my Hot Dog cravings for upcoming MGnEM's!!!

I love the new Venture, but like most here was hoping for an up-date V4. But it came as no surprise that they went with the V Twin. Over the past ten years I have observed on the Interstate and at major bike rally that V Twin bikes out numbered both V4 and 6 cylinder bikes. Yamaha has been making those same observations and it is just business. Time will tell if it was good business or not.

TOTALLY 100% tracking with you MM = you are right on target.. Thing is though,, and this is where "touring" becomes a subjective term IMHO, if you watch closely at most of the Rally's (this is real easy to spot at the Sturgis Rally) a lot of the air cooled V-Twin scoots are being trailered into those Rallys.. I know,, I have commented about that on several occasions and have almost gotten beat up several times for making comment about that observation but it's simply something I have observed - Rally life has changed MAJORLY over the years.. This is especially common, IMHO, in regions where temps rise above 100 on a common basis..

Personally I cant help but wonder if the actual touring industry (meaning = people who pack up their scoot and are gone on it for 3 or 4 weeks at a time instead of taking a motor home or truck/fifth wheel) is actually quite small.. Seriously,, I dont consider Rallying even remotely related to touring - two different experiences from my perspective.. Rallying is HUGE and, people riding touring bikes during rally's is HUGE.. From that perspective,,, very possibly Yamaha is on to something BUT - that there is a Harley world and I still think that going toe to toe with the King is tough.. Especially if your looking for the same MSRP.. Still think a 165 MPH, arm stretching V-Max motored touring scoot would have been a hands down touring bike KING - a real game changer!!

Edited by cowpuc

I too am very sorry to see someone want to leave over the controversy. Some of us are quite disappointed and baffled by the new thing, and just letting off some steam. I have glossed over threads that weren't my thing and it's no big deal. None of it is required reading and it is fairly well isolated in threads titled accordingly. I hope the folks that were frustrated over this will stick around and just ignore the objectionable material. Again, hate so see any of these good people head for the exit over it.

Sleep on it and come back, this really will blow over pretty soon and normal programming will resume. Really hope to those of you taking a break come back.

I too am very sorry to see someone want to leave over the controversy. Some of us are quite disappointed and baffled by the new thing, and just letting off some steam. I have glossed over threads that weren't my thing and it's no big deal. None of it is required reading and it is fairly well isolated in threads titled accordingly. I hope the folks that were frustrated over this will stick around and just ignore the objectionable material. Again, hate so see any of these good people head for the exit over it.

Sleep on it and come back, this really will blow over pretty soon and normal programming will resume. Really hope to those of you taking a break come back.

I havent been home long enough to even know what all this is about but gotta say,, hopefully no one is offended by any form of my banter or opinions.. Bikes and bike chat is suppose to be fun.. When I was a kid in High School we used to settle our "who's bike is baddest" lunch time discussions out on our 1/4 miler that runs along side I-96 = a country road called Kendra Road (look it up, its still there but, of all things,, has a HUGE Church on it now - a bunch of kids could have used that back in the day:guitarist 2:) - just outside of Fruitport Mi.. Bumped into one of my arch nemisis a while back = he rode a Kawi 350 Avenger and could just never get beyond the fact that my rat bike Honda 350 could put a whoppin on him (he was bigger than me - had him HP/weight BIG TIME = those Kawis were BAD TO THE BONE!! We used to fight continually about it..

Having recently ran into Mark (kawi owner) - we both laughed and laughed and laughed about those days.. The anger associated with "my bikes better than yours" discussions were long expired..

Funny thing now,, he rides a GORGEOUS new Harley and is a very successful business man.. After complimenting him on his HD - He checked out Tweeks, setting there on his new Harley and says = gotta say Scooter (thats what they called me back in the day) = that is allll 100% you and she is GORGEOUS,, its a piece of crap Yamaha but still GORGEOUS,,,,,,,, thats when the fight broke out:crackup:

Dont nobody leave over this stuff - wont be long and we will be back to normal around here!!!:happy34:

Polaris dumped Vic because they simply did not sell (right from the Polaris history book) - I am sure the folks at Yamaha have done a TON of research and have some awesome ideas on how to pull Harley Davidson air cooled V-Twin, belt drive riders away from The Motor Company like Polaris couldn't do with the Vics but, for the life of me,, I dont know how

Having just picked up an '07 RSV two weeks ago (with 12k on the clock) I'm not in the market for another bike and won't be for a long time. But, even though I'm not buying anything, I'm interested in how this bike will sell for Yamaha and have been wondering the exact same thing as quoted above. Not sure what Yamaha can do that Polaris couldn't.

Actually we don't know how lucky we are. We now have 3 different versions of Ventures to pick from. We have Ventures with liquid cooled V4, shaft drive and real adjustable handlebars. We have midnight Ventures and pain jane Ventures. We also have a brand spanky new Venture with a air cooled V Twin with belt drive and a plefora of features. Take your pick. Lucky us.

We got a few weeks where we can bash the new Venture or praise it. Once it comes out and we get a chance to ride it, we can either bash it or praise it. Did I say how lucky we are.

I can recall a conversation I had with my dealer about a new Venture last summer. He was hoping they would put in the Strat motor so they could lower the CG. He also said that that engine had tremendous power and should work well in a touring bike. Guess he was right, so far.

I am disappointed in the air cooled motor but I am going to ride one and then I can bash or praise it. Boy, am i lucky.

Just my opinion but I don't think Rick is going to leave our family over this controversy. Remember, he is now bikeless and is most likely experiencing serious withdrawal symptoms so cut him some slack.

Nah, I am from the "fun" era... 50's & 60's No phones, no computers, no video games, just went out and played. Of course we did have to hide under our classroom desks in case there was an atomic bomb dropped!

Craig

So you are from the Jurassic era?

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Ohhh come on Don,, me n Yammer Dan been put on Club probation and had to suffer extreme humiliation for far less then that!! :stirthepot::stirthepot::biker:

Nah, I am from the "fun" era... 50's & 60's No phones, no computers, no video games, just went out and played. Of course we did have to hide under our classroom desks in case there was an atomic bomb dropped!

Craig

Yep,,, talk about a strange time of life! We used to recite the pledge of allegiance to the American flag back then right in the classrooms before school started.. I remember right where I was standing on the day President Kennedy was slain and it was announced at our school... My Dad was a bouncer at Grand Haven roller rink during the "Beach Bash" days when small groups of hit rock n roll bands came to play at the rink = Herman's Hermits, The Monkeys, Tommy James and the Shondells, The Archies just to name a few - came and played at that little rink - AMAZING time to be a kid I tell ya!! Also remember wearing flowered covered hip huggers and the smell of pot rolling out from under the bleachers during football games. Pumping Sunoco 260 into real muscle cars right out of Detroit.. The first colored tv in the neighborhood belonged to the rich kid who's dad was the bank president in our town.. Losing friends to the war in Nam and finding their names on the Wall in D.C. = made me cry.. Losing my little league baseball coach to a person going the wrong way on the highway next to our town - my coach was riding a 59 Harley that I LOVED.. Going around at night and playing with the bomb shaped smudge pots that our village road guy used to mark road work - things looked like the bombs that Boris on Rocky n Bullwinkle would light and throw.. Leaving notes on buddies bikes to tell about a party - this was wayyyy before texting and was awesome cause you could ride around town and read notes to find all the parties :big-grin-emoticon:

oh yea,, one more thing,, Mini-Skirts :missingtooth:,, ouch,, OUCH = let go of ear Tip:12101:

Ohhh come on Don,, me n Yammer Dan been put on Club probation and had to suffer extreme humiliation for far less then that!! :stirthepot::stirthepot::biker:

Thanks man I had to do something for a laugh I have been dealing with pretty scary stuff.. I am still not buying the prognosis. Mainly because I don't understand where it came from how I would have it. Nothing to really be panicking over so... We will see. But sheesh 3 days. That's enuff to drive a person insane.. Maybe its the shock over the bike but after haven knives thrown at you you should have been able to drive one of them scoots home to give it a good road trial....

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

I wont be buying a new venture. But NOT for the reasons listed here. I like it,I like it alot. But there is no way I can hold up a 963 lb bike empty at my age. Two wheels are just no longer an option for me and to spend $20,000+ on a trike without ABS,fuel injection,traction control and power steering made no sense to me. Throw in a solid rear axle and it was not going to fly. Those were some of the reasons I went to the Spyder. Yes I tried the standard Trike,had a Goldwing for 4 years,but it didn't do it for me. I love my Spyder as much as I loved my VR/RSV. I rode those since 1986,nothing else. But now the 2 wheel boat for me has sailed. 10 years ago I would have snapped it up. It has everything we asked for except the V4. My spyder is belt drive and in 29,000 miles it has worked great. More then I can say for the shaft in the 83 I had that spun its shaft at 30,000 cause the grease fitting didn't work.

I have to disagree with no serious touring bike has a VTwin and a belt drive. Victory Vision was serious,it was just hard for people to get past the body design. Harley Davidson is deadly serious and you see those things in the oddest places with real miles on them. I have put 20,000 miles in 18 months on my Spyder and the belt has not needed attention. Still in spec on tension.

Puc is right on in saying the large bike touring world has changed and it is not as big as it was,for whatever reason. 10 years ago I would no more have considered trailering my bike to an even/location then fly to the moon. Now I think about it all the time. Current wife wont ride long distance,but wants to ride when we get there. Trailer works great. I bet there are a lot that are in that boat or just don't have the strength/stamina that we once had. Lets face it as much as we don't want to admit it our type of rider is an ageing population and Yamaha is looking for the ones who are where we were 25 years ago. That's the next market. For those of you who can handle it and swing the money I say go for it. I think you'll really enjoy it. Call it a StratoVenture or Ventureliner or what ever but I think it will be great. Happy Venturing on whatever generation you ride.

Your mileage may vary

My 1st was born in Feb.1970. And them Mini Skirts........:mugshot: I've seen some SHORT ones!!! I didn't catch this til late Puc I was still in the corner!!! Are we still on probation??? I got some cuff keys......:Avatars_Gee_George:

Ya know bro,, my Dad was a Police Officer and I used to snag his cuffs to play with when I was a young varmint.. He had real deal genuine Cop Cuff's with the little tiny hole on the bracelet that you would push the pin on the end of the keys into to double lock them (not sure if these are still used today). I messed around with a bobby pin on his cuffs and got good enough pickin those things that I could even release the "pin" lock with a bent bobby pin = true story!! My dad was always amazed that he could lock me in em and, as long as I had a bobby pin - within a couple minutes I was free!! We make good partners in grime bro :hihi:

Dad also carried a sawed off pump 12 gauge in his squad car - it was a strange weapon with a "slide" that slid out of the back of the receiver when you racked it = no idea of brand but Dad loved the thing.. One time he left it out and I got my hands on it, was showing my little brother how it worked = racked it and it ripped a bunch of skin off the back of my hand - told my little brother = DONT TELL DAD as I wrapped my hand in towels!!

That night when my dad got home from bowling I got my back side WHOOPED (he used to wack my so hard I felt like my body was a pin wheel).. I kept screaming "what did I do" = after the whoopin he showed me the blood on his gun and asked me to explain the slide action marks on my right hand :doh:

Craig

Those were the days.