IGNORED

Mobile Annual Protction?? Thoughts???

Yammer Dan

See the New Adds? Mobile claims a motor oil you only change 1 time a year?? I know Oil's have made some major strides but???? What if I do 50,000 miles a year??? I feel a lot safer now when I slip and go a few miles over. BUT 1 change a Year??:think:

I know that an engine with EFI and nice fresh rings is a bit easier on oil than a carburetor equipped engine with a few decades of service under it's belt. I could buy a year on some Mobile 1 under ideal conditions. For a Venture Ill change it in the spring and maybe again around late August. I use Rotella 15-40 dino, anything more expensive seems unnecessary for these bikes. Normally I'll only use synthetic or a blend in engines that called for it from the factory. I put Mobile 1 in my lexus and if it gets changed once a year then its a good year.

Not sure I would leave any oil in the Venture for a year of active riding.

I should add that I have not seen the TV spots. Blissfully enough I never see or hear advertising:guitarist 2:

Edited by CaseyJ955

I made the crack to my buddy who has a Dodge SRT8 that requires Mobile-1 eurospec 0w-40.... "Gonna switch to that stuff, it will save you a fortune on oil changes"

He didn't speak, but I got the idea with the hand gestures of how he felt.

I default to my usual Oil Debate response... It doesn't mater much what oil, more that it has oil. I think they are setting themselves up for complaints with older cars that leak who think they can go a whole year with no maintenance.

I go by the mileage and the time. 3500 miles is perfect. If one sits for a extended period, fresh oil is one thing it gets before going on the road again. I use Dino 20/50 Castrol in the Scoots. GM oil in the G6 and have used several different ones in the Ranger. Just cain't see a year on anything that gets used. Cain't believe I started a OIL Thread!! But a oil with a recommended 1 year between changes???

Edited by Yammer Dan

It all depends on a lot of things.

In the bike I get an easy year out of an oil change, but then I only do about 5K per year and I am using a 7K full synth oil. the bike is stored for 6 months out of the year so it is really only 6 months on the oil.

I am willing to bet that the 1 change per year is assuming you drive normal miles of 12,000 per year in favorable conditions. I bet it even says so on the jug. I know one guy that puts 250-300K miles per year on a chevy van, buys a new van every year, but does weekly oil changes.

I usually do close to 10,000 miles on the oil changes in my 1/2 ton truck. I just traded my GMC 5.3L, 250,000 mile on a new ecoboost Ford and it would only need a quart added between changes. It was hard at first, but I switched to depending on the truck's monitor to tell me when it's due.

On the bikes, still don't go over 3,000 miles so the Venture gets changed 5 times/year.

Always use non-synthetic but the new Ford requires the synthetic so another mindset change.

In the bike I get an easy year out of an oil change, but then I only do about 5K per year and I am using a 7K full synth oil. the bike is stored for 6 months out of the year so it is really only 6 months on the oil.

I am willing to bet that the 1 change per year is assuming you drive normal miles of 12,000 per year in favorable conditions. I bet it even says so on the jug. I know one guy that puts 250-300K miles per year on a chevy van, buys a new van every year, but does weekly oil changes.

according to Insurance companies people the average person drives 20,000 miles a year...

I usually do close to 10,000 miles on the oil changes in my 1/2 ton truck. I just traded my GMC 5.3L, 250,000 mile on a new ecoboost Ford and it would only need a quart added between changes. It was hard at first, but I switched to depending on the truck's monitor to tell me when it's due.

On the bikes, still don't go over 3,000 miles so the Venture gets changed 5 times/year.

Always use non-synthetic but the new Ford requires the synthetic so another mindset change.

The Ford Ecoboost with its direct injection and dual turbos tend to collect gasoline in the oil. Using the oil too many miles has been known to ignite the oil and blow the oil pan off the truck.

I change my cages at 5,000 miles regardless of time and since I retired that may be almost two years on my Dodge Magnum Hemi and my 02 F150. I change my wife's car every 6 months to abide by the warranty requirements even though it usually has about 2500 miles on the oil. But, I suspect 10k miles is reasonable for cars. I just haven't been able to make myself go that long. Old habits are hard to break.

Change once a year, in a modern engine sure. If you do 25,000 miles in a year its probably not all stop and go. Look at it this way: 24,000 miles at an average speed of 60 miles an hour is 400 engine hours. 12,000 miles at an average speed of 30 is also 400 engine hours. I would say the 12,000 miles of stop /go at an average speed of 30 is harder on the oil in 400 hours, than 24,000 miles of highway at an average speed of 60. In either scenario the engine and oil only has 400 hours after one year.

I can remember when the original Mobile 1 first came out, the magazine ads said it was good for 25,000 miles. My father in a law had a Buick wagon he bought new back in that time, used mobile one, took them literally at their advertised word. He traded it with 175,000 miles on it running fine, no smoke, 7 complete oil and filter changes with some filter only changes and top up in between. That is all he has ever used since it first came out. They backed off those initial mileage claims (probably because people didn't check their oil for 25,00 miles) and I find it interesting they are slowly reverting back.

When you consider the price difference for premium synthetic motor oils, if you aren't extending your change intervals, your just wasting money IMHO.

With a wet clutch and clutch material constantly in the oil, a motorcycle is different animal than a car where oil change intervals are concerned.

See the New Adds? Mobile claims a motor oil you only change 1 time a year?? I know Oil's have made some major strides but???? What if I do 50,000 miles a year??? I feel a lot safer now when I slip and go a few miles over. BUT 1 change a Year??:think:

Ikees! You mean you're supposed to change your oil? :scared:

Change once a year, in a modern engine sure. If you do 25,000 miles in a year its probably not all stop and go. Look at it this way: 24,000 miles at an average speed of 60 miles an hour is 400 engine hours. 12,000 miles at an average speed of 30 is also 400 engine hours. I would say the 12,000 miles of stop /go at an average speed of 30 is harder on the oil in 400 hours, than 24,000 miles of highway at an average speed of 60. In either scenario the engine and oil only has 400 hours after one year.

I can remember when the original Mobile 1 first came out, the magazine ads said it was good for 25,000 miles. My father in a law had a Buick wagon he bought new back in that time, used mobile one, took them literally at their advertised word. He traded it with 175,000 miles on it running fine, no smoke, 7 complete oil and filter changes with some filter only changes and top up in between. That is all he has ever used since it first came out. They backed off those initial mileage claims (probably because people didn't check their oil for 25,00 miles) and I find it interesting they are slowly reverting back.

When you consider the price difference for premium synthetic motor oils, if you aren't extending your change intervals, your just wasting money IMHO.

With a wet clutch and clutch material constantly in the oil, a motorcycle is different animal than a car where oil change intervals are concerned.

When Mobil One first came out, it was a Group IV oil which is polyalphaolefin. Nowadays it's a Group III oil. It may be just as good or better but the switch was made because it was cheaper.

It may be OK in a car engine or a Harley V-Twin as the transmission and clutch and stuff is separate. Motorcycle transmissions built into the rest of the engine are much harder on oil. I'll stick with what I have been doing with my bikes. It's never failed me.

The RSV manual I had I think said 5k on oil changes. I ran full syn oil and would run 6 sometimes 7 k. The Rotella t6 is cheap enough I dont feel real bad about 5k oil changes and I do run the longer filter also.

Warranty laws were different when Mobil came out with Mobil 1 and the 25,000 mile change interval. The common oil change interval was 3000 miles also. I believe Manufacturers and anyone that was liable for failures or made money changing oil back then likely put some pressure on them to back off that claim. Just guessing... I have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic for a long time now. I typically change all small motors, Lawnmowers, Snowblowers, Motorcycles, once a year. Automobiles now get changed every 20 thousand because the new Mobil oil filters will go that long. Previously I changed them at 15 thousand.

I Sold my RSTD to my son at 50 thousand miles, doing 12 thousand a year average, still going strong. My daughter got the Ford Escape at 150 thousand miles. Still doing well. My 2004 Ford F150 just hit 150 thousand and burns 1 quart every 4 thousand miles. Not too bad. Runs well. Oh "her" 2009 Chevy Impala 3.5 L 98 thousand miles... you get the picture...

I don't think you need the "new and improved" Mobil synthetic to go a year of regular driving. The cost is twice as much, but your mileage may vary...

When I lived in the UK :uk2:Oil change recommendations were around 10-12,000 miles. For average motorists that was a year's motoring. I believe the recommended figure has now risen to around 15-18,000 miles, with some manufacturers even higher.

When I first moved here a saw recommendations of 5000km (3000 miles) I couldn't believe it! The oil companies sure seem to have done a brilliant brainwashing & marketing job! :crackup:It's all about getting your $$$ in their pockets.

Jeff what does the guy do that puts 300,000 miles a year on his van? that is 875 miles per day every day of the year

I bought a one year old 81 Ford Granada back when that had the 200 cu in 6 cylinder engine and the factory recommended oil change interval was 10,000 miles, the longest of any vehicle I've owned. I didn't run the oil that long.

We recommend using a Mobil 1™ Extended Performance Oil Filter along with the new Mobil 1 Annual Protection synthetic oil. Though not required, these filters meet the requirements of the Mobil 1 Annual Protection limited warranty and are perfect companion products for longer-lasting protection.

†Please follow the recommendations in your owner's manual while your car is under warranty.

The Mobil 1 Annual Protection limited warranty is valid for one year (12 months) or your vehicle’s OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer.

Also several blah blah paragraphs about warranty only covering replacing lubricant and the parts that was damaged due to oil failure, I wonder if that means if the rings seizes they pay for the rings not the rest of the motor?

also the cost right now is around 3 times, what auto zone or others has the wet clutch motor oil on sale for on a regular basis.

I've always been more afraid of time more so than mileage. i've seen 300 mile old oil that's been in a crankcase for a year turn to pudding due to moisture pick up.

Jeff what does the guy do that puts 300,000 miles a year on his van? that is 875 miles per day every day of the year

He does small load emergency deliveries to anywhere in the Con USA. Since the van looks like and is licensed like a personal vehicle he does not follow any of the regs that commercial truckers have to like weigh stations where they can check your log book for hours on the road. He will drive straight thru for 30+ hours if necessary from Milwaukee to anywhere to get that emergency load of up to two pallets, or most anything else that could be loaded into a full size Chevy van, to where they need to be as fast as physically possible. He has a mattress up against a wall and then sleeps as soon as he has made the delivery. He only lasted 3 years before the physical demands made him quit.