IGNORED

helmet laws

Trader

No comment needed!

Sept 19 2012 I dumped my venture on the highway at 100 kmh. 11 weeks later I got out of hospital.

Every jurisdiction in Canada has a helmet law. Law, or no law, I'll be wearing mine. I have the one I was wearing during the crash hung up where I can see it, to remind me.

It's kinda like the seat belt law. After seeing how bad a friend of mine was disfigured from going through a windshield, I didn't need anyone to tell me to buckle up. But then, it's you're head. Just don't make me pay for your ignorance!

It's kinda like the seat belt law. After seeing how bad a friend of mine was disfigured from going through a windshield, I didn't need anyone to tell me to buckle up. But then, it's you're head. Just don't make me pay for your ignorance!

Unfortunatly on this continent with the way legal systems here work we are always forced to pay for someone elses ignorance both before and after the fact. No such thing here as being responsible for ones own actions or stupidity.

I agree, helmet laws suck

Right there with ya Eye Ball,,, a slice into my freedom to choose how to protect myself just rubs me wrong too.. IMHO, legislation that protects me from hurting me when failing to abide by that legislation has an almost zero percent chance of hurting another person just doesn't seem right.. I conceed to the idea of it hurting others by driving up insurance costs though, truly I get that. The only thing is, there are other much bigger ailments in society, IMHO, that could/should be addressed long before things like helmet laws..

An example are the drinking laws.. Statisically, vehicular death and/or dismemberment by DUI to OTHERS is wayyyyyy beyond the numbers seen by helmetless bikers yet if most small towns all across the U.S. had only 1 building in them, that one building would probably be a Bar.. If in a State with helmet laws in effect,, that Bar will more likely than not have a regular attendance of helmet wearing motorcyclist stop in and partake of judgement impairing beverages. After consuming these beverages - the impaired riders can choose to get on their bikes and head out on the highway (no laws exist anywhere in the U.S. that allow LEO's to do breath analisis at the door of the bar :confused24:).. As a result of this, we now have little legal unguided missle's with their heads protected so they survive after doing their injustice to an unknowing passerby out walking his dog on the shoulder of the road.

:scratchchin:,, did it again, painted myself in a corner here:buttkick:..... While taking a break waiting for the paint to dry I think I will ponder why people walking dogs aren't required to wear helmets and full goalie gear, thinkin that would solve all our problems.. :happy34:

I hated helmet laws for all the reasons already mentioned. Right up until I felt the padding in my helmet give as my head hit the asphalt. Who ever said these things happen in slow motion was correct. I remember thinking "boy I sure am glad I am wearing this helmet". I could feel the inner padding absorbing the impact and saving me from a fractured skull or worse. If I wasn't required to be wearing the helmet I wouldn't have been. Point is, I no longer complain about helmet laws.

Mike

There is this to consider:

Some states now advise that if you aren't wearing a helmet (even in a no wear state), if there is an accident and you are not wearing protective gear, then you are partially responsible for your injuries. Regardless of who is at fault...no wear then you take the share.

Suggest you call your insurance company and ask them...get the scoop up front...

david

Ya know, this may come as a surprise to some people, but I support the RIGHT to choose whether or not you wear a helmet, the same as your right to choose to wear a seatbelt!!!!!

That being said, it is a FOOL who chooses do do neither!!! If you're to stupid to wear a helmet (or a seatbelt in a cage) then you deserve to suffer the consequences...

Here in Michigan it's the law to use seat belts but helmets are optional for bike riders if certain conditions are met. I personally support the right of others to make their own choice on helmet use but my wife and I won't ride without one. Being trike riders, the chances of going down are slim and none but we still like the added protection. [emoji848][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ya know, this may come as a surprise to some people, but I support the RIGHT to choose whether or not you wear a helmet, the same as your right to choose to wear a seatbelt!!!!!

That being said, it is a FOOL who chooses do do neither!!! If you're to stupid to wear a helmet (or a seatbelt in a cage) then you deserve to suffer the consequences...

THANKS Bro. Trying out this kinder gentler thing and didn't want to come right out with that but I got ya Back!!! You didn't mention that they will improve the gene pool?? :Avatars_Gee_George: Some ought to see my row of helmets in the garage. Might change their mind.

Right there with ya Eye Ball,,, a slice into my freedom to choose how to protect myself just rubs me wrong too.. IMHO, legislation that protects me from hurting me when failing to abide by that legislation has an almost zero percent chance of hurting another person just doesn't seem right.. I conceed to the idea of it hurting others by driving up insurance costs though, truly I get that. The only thing is, there are other much bigger ailments in society, IMHO, that could/should be addressed long before things like helmet laws..

An example are the drinking laws.. Statisically, vehicular death and/or dismemberment by DUI to OTHERS is wayyyyyy beyond the numbers seen by helmetless bikers yet if most small towns all across the U.S. had only 1 building in them, that one building would probably be a Bar.. If in a State with helmet laws in effect,, that Bar will more likely than not have a regular attendance of helmet wearing motorcyclist stop in and partake of judgement impairing beverages. After consuming these beverages - the impaired riders can choose to get on their bikes and head out on the highway (no laws exist anywhere in the U.S. that allow LEO's to do breath analisis at the door of the bar :confused24:).. As a result of this, we now have little legal unguided missle's with their heads protected so they survive after doing their injustice to an unknowing passerby out walking his dog on the shoulder of the road.

:scratchchin:,, did it again, painted myself in a corner here:buttkick:..... While taking a break waiting for the paint to dry I think I will ponder why people walking dogs aren't required to wear helmets and full goalie gear, thinkin that would solve all our problems.. :happy34:

**** Cowpuc Never realized you been to Missouri! LOL there is a 2 towns about 20 miles from me to the west one is known as Reddings Mill it has a Biker bar and a fire station. I think they just added a train car restaurant there. Then there is Racine Missouri which I believe you would have a blast going down that road.:Avatars_Gee_George: Thats if you don't mind playing chicken:Avatars_Gee_George: It has a gas station and a Bar. I have even been to one town that has one building that contains Gas station, Bar, Truck Stop/Restaurant. That one I believe is between Ft Leonard Wood and Rolla. I just never realized what you said till you pointed it out.

I'm going to assume you mean the gear that jousters wear.:Avatars_Gee_George:

I believe its a mature adults choice on how they choose to dress when riding their motorcycle, apparently the state of Pa agrees. I would never try to talk anyone out of wearing a helmet if that is there choice. That being said I enjoy riding without a helmet. I sure dont feel the need to call anyone "stupid" and I am fully aware of the consequences. I dont believe Insurance rates in Pa have been affected by the helmet law, mine have not. Enjoy your ride, I'll enjoy mine!

Craig

:scared:,,,,,,,,,, EXACTLY SNYPE!!!:thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon:

:lightbulb: = now THAT"S the kind of safety gear I would wear if I had a set :big-grin-emoticon:

But then where would be the fun in riding a motorcycle you fall off you just go throwing sparks 20 feet in the air and gliding off the highway over the ditches and possiblly being launched like a turtle!!!:Avatars_Gee_George: :dancefool::nanner:

This is how I feel as well.

I believe its a mature adults choice on how they choose to dress when riding their motorcycle, apparently the state of Pa agrees. I would never try to talk anyone out of wearing a helmet if that is there choice. That being said I enjoy riding without a helmet. I sure dont feel the need to call anyone "stupid" and I am fully aware of the consequences. I dont believe Insurance rates in Pa have been affected by the helmet law, mine have not. Enjoy your ride, I'll enjoy mine.
Can't argue with this either with the stipulation that any injuries directly attributable to the lack of safety precautions should not be covered by insurance.

In Canada with our universal public health insurance it is illegal to ride without a helmet because all injuries are covered. What this boils down to is don't expect to have others pay for your own risky choices. Since medical coverage in the USA is not universal that would mean insurance companies are left to come up with their own method of controlling unsafe practices which put all their members on the hook for the independent decisions of others.

People's rights to individual independence should not be allowed to infringe on the rights and responsibilities of others. If someone breaks their melon because they made a risky choice they should not expect anyone else to contribute to either their medical or recuperation expenses.

Freedom is not necessarily free.

Well I am not familiar with Canadas rules and regs, but it is legal in Pa. I believe I could make the arguement that me and my melon crashing at 60mph would probably not cost the ins co very much at all, where as the guy with the helmet may survive and cost the ins co a whole lot of $$$$$ patching up his body. What happens if the guy with the helmet is speeding? too fast into a corner? does he smoke? drink? overweight? exercise, on the phone, texting, not paying attention, does your ins co refuse to pay for all those choices?

I usually try to stay out of these helmet topics for this very reason, unfortunately I allowed myself to get sucked in, I said my 2cnts. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

Craig