IGNORED

Windows 10 Install

Freebird

Last night I finally took a leap of faith and upgraded my Dell laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I read a lot of pros and cons before doing it. I have a couple of older programs that I use on a regular basis that I wanted to be sure would continue to work. One is Microsoft Streets and another is Microsoft Front Page. I did find some instances where people said that they no longer worked after the upgrade but then found solutions for those problems.

So...I pulled the trigger and did it. I am pleased to report that everything that I needed to work still does. In fact, so far, I have found nothing that doesn't work and I didn't have to do anything to get them working.

Was it worth it? I don't know. What I've seen so far is that there is basically no learning curve between Windows 7 and Windows 10. The basic operation is basically the same. Only time will tell if it is more or less stable and etc. The Dell is my company/work computer. I use a MacBook Pro for my personal computer.

So far, no problems at all with Windows 10.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the FREE windows 10 pop up every time I turn on my lap top, but I am still afraid to pull the trigger.. I'm not even close to being the computer expert you are.

I'm happy staying with the windows 7 right now and by the time I get the nerve to pull the trigger it will probably be Windows 15......:stickpoke:

All my win7 are now win10.

seamless transition. Probably the easiest windows upgrade I've ever done.

next to no learning curve going from 7 to 10.

one thing i do not like at all is that bloody windows cortana replacing the search function on win 10. Win7 was much better when you just wanted to search your computer.nyouncan force cortana to only search your drives in the settings, but its a pita that microsoft shouldnt have done in the first place.

we're not all social media surferes on the internet....

I HATE change but my new lap top came with windows 8, then upgraded to 8. something and now 10. If this computer dummy can do it anybody can. I do miss some of the old features from windows 7 and they may still be on windows 10 but I can't find them. I.E. how do I save a picture someone sends me on an e-mail. Used to right click etc. etc. but that doesn't seem to be the case now.

No problems with Windows 10 on any my machines. Actually no problems with any version of windows I have ever had and I go back to Windows 3! I have worked on a lot of computers for family/friends over the years and most every problem I have seen with their machines were, lack of cleaning, clogging up fans and preventing cooling. Installing iffy freebee software, opening files that contained redirects, not updating windows regularly. Vista was supposedly one of the "worst" Windows versions. I ran it for a couple of years and had no problems at all. On a completely separate note...I ran GEOS on my Commodore 128 and that was sort of a Windows type software. I started working with computers back in 1968 and have enjoyed working and playing with them since.

I did the upgrade on my home desktop as well as my wife's laptop ... no issues whatsoever except I got rid of Cortana. A very easy upgrade.

That said, I've done some testing with it at work and there is a major issue with Domains and Roaming Profiles that has yet to be resolved. Granted, there are so-called "fixes" but the amount of B/S you have to go through is ridiculous and even then there's no assurances that it will work correctly or even co-exist with pre-Win10 roaming profiles. (I know, most won't understand WTF I'm talking about LOL)

I'd sure like to get all the work computers upgraded before the FREE upgrade expires .... which is coming up real soon!

I wonder what percent of the upgrades were done for no reason other than to get rid of the upgrade nag.

I was able to kill the nag without upgrading.

At least win 7 has an XP mode, Win 10 does not, that makes win 10 a non starter for me. I do not want to replace 20K worth of software just to be able to have win 10.

I wonder what percent of the upgrades were done for no reason other than to get rid of the upgrade nag.

I was able to kill the nag without upgrading.

At least win 7 has an XP mode, Win 10 does not, that makes win 10 a non starter for me. I do not want to replace 20K worth of software just to be able to have win 10.

Why not install / run a virtual machine with WinXP and associated software?

There are a few available such as VMware Player or VirtualBox.

If you are running 20K worth of software with win xp it is worth nothing nowadays so why not upgrade? or just be like old people and live in the past.

Certain "legacy" software may not have upgrades available that will run in the new OS. Even if they did, you'd then have to fork out the bucks to upgrade. With software such as what Flyinfool has, it's probably very specific and one just can't run out and upgrade it.

When considering upgrading an OS, there are many things to consider when a person or business is running a lot of expensive, task-specific software. As an IT person, I have to test every piece of software we use in a new OS before I can roll it out and that is just for desktop apps .... then there are server OSes that can really throw a wrench into things (and what I mentioned above re: roaming profiles is one of them in that Microsoft 'appears' to be pushing us to upgrade the server OS just to be able to work with roaming profiles without having to deal with what I explained above)

You will regret the update soon unless you have a touch-screen computer, they are building their new os's around Touch-Compatible computers imo. Took me a week to reinstall my win7 haha

No regrets here and I installed Win10 very soon after the free upgrade came available (and I don't have touch screen).

Win10 is a much nicer version of Win7 IMO and if you're running Win8.x, do yourself a favour and upgrade it to Win10.

Just a a question here and forgive me and though I get by with computers maybe a bit better than the average person I am still far from being any sort of expert. So I spoke to our IT guy at work and he has some issues RE: WIN 10. One is he feels it is very intrusive, comes with its own built in spyware and keylogger. Things we have always guarded against. Now he is the first to admit he is a bit of a conspiracy theorist but he did throw a bit of a scare into me. I already hate that cell phones automatically sync every type of media you own whether you want it to or not which though they seem to think of it as a great asset I fnd it a headache because all too often it gets rid of currant contacts replacing them with redundant contacts and information I thought I got rid of. So How much do you control WIN 10 or how much does it control you and peek into your personal life.

Just a a question here and forgive me and though I get by with computers maybe a bit better than the average person I am still far from being any sort of expert. So I spoke to our IT guy at work and he has some issues RE: WIN 10. One is he feels it is very intrusive, comes with its own built in spyware and keylogger. Things we have always guarded against. Now he is the first to admit he is a bit of a conspiracy theorist but he did throw a bit of a scare into me. I already hate that cell phones automatically sync every type of media you own whether you want it to or not which though they seem to think of it as a great asset I fnd it a headache because all too often it gets rid of currant contacts replacing them with redundant contacts and information I thought I got rid of. So How much do you control WIN 10 or how much does it control you and peek into your personal life.

@saddlebum

There's lots of info on the 'net about how to 'disable' those 'intrusive' things. Here's one for example ---> https://www.rt.com/usa/311383-windows-opt-out-privacy/

No regrets here and I installed Win10 very soon after the free upgrade came available (and I don't have touch screen).

Win10 is a much nicer version of Win7 IMO and if you're running Win8.x, do yourself a favour and upgrade it to Win10.

Oops read the thread incorrectly, only tried Windows 8, (utter garbage) but i have yet to try Win10. I doubt i ever will to be quite honest but happy that you enjoyed your experience with Windows 10.

Oops read the thread incorrectly, only tried Windows 8, (utter garbage) but i have yet to try Win10. I doubt i ever will to be quite honest but happy that you enjoyed your experience with Windows 10.

If you used Win7, Win10 is very similar. Win 8.x is, as you say ... GARBAGE!

It is the one that was better designed for a touch screen. Win10, although usable with a touch screen, can be used without one much the same as Win7 or, for that matter, WinXP

Many of these comments I had read before and were what had caused me to delay upgrading. In my case, it was all much todo about nothing. All the intrusion concerns and etc. are easily turned off. Touch screen is absolutely not necessary unless you want to run it in "tablet" mode for some reason. I am sure that some people running very old software could have issues but I still have software that I ran on Windows NT that works fine on Windows 10. There are a couple of software packages that stopped working before but that was when I upgraded to Windows 7.

The fact is, you can only get by so long without updating. Sooner or later you are going to be opening yourself up to security issues and etc. If you are running Windows 7 then I think you will be OK for a while yet. At some point though, upgrading just makes sense.

I have had pretty good luck with Windows. I ran for years with MSDOS and refused to use ANY version of Windows. I think I finally started using Windows 3.2. I also used Windows 95 and then Windows 98. I then moved to Windows NT. I moved from NT to Windows 7. Maybe Windows 2000 after NT....don't remember for sure. I never installed Millennium or Vista. Then from Windows 7 to Windows 10. As others have said, the upgrade was completely flawless.

Don,

You and I must be of the same computer generation. I started before Windows then went to 3, 3.1 and so on...right up to today. I'm Win XP on office machine - handles my data, music, videos and stills through three hard drives...and Win 7Pro for my professional editing machine. Since I'm retired, I'm hardly on the Pro machine...but thinking seriously of migrating what I can over to that machine and having on one desktop in the house. Problem for me...is the XP machine runs so well even though it's 9 years old. I kept upgrading MB, ram and processor to where I'm running top of the line Athlon, etc.. I like to be able to rip my DVD's easily, run Outlook Express for email (simple and fast), run an old version of Photoshop that has been with me for years as well.....

Not sure I want to upgrade to 10 though as I'm running the Pro version of 7...and it's been solid as a rock.

Guess someday soon I've got to make the change and drop the older system. Sigh.

If you are running 20K worth of software with win xp it is worth nothing nowadays so why not upgrade? or just be like old people and live in the past.

My old software may be worth nothing in dollar value today, But some of it is from a company that no longer exists and it will not run on any OS newer than XP.

My CAD software is also old enough that it will not run on anything newer, same for my circuit board design software. Yes the newer versions of these pieces of software have a few bells and whistles that I do not have now. But I have yet to find one thing that I could not do with what I have that the newer software could do. Makes it real hard to justify spending $20K just to be able to say I have the latest and greatest and gain zero functionality. This is not my employers money this is out of my pocket for my own stuff.

I am not one to change for the sake of change, If there is an actual improvement then I am all in. No one has yet pointed out a single IMPROVEMENT in the upgrades.

I have been toying with getting a new up to date computer for everyday stuff and playing around and save my old computer for getting things done.