IGNORED

Windows 10 Install

Freebird

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then just turn it off and walk away. We all have that choice, when not at work that is.

Lets also not forget: the computer is just a piece of technology. It knows no prejudice or malice. It just is. It's the humans using the computer that are destroying the "trusted and simple lives". That's been the nature of our species forever. Always trying to get the "one up" on the other. It's nature, it's biology, it's programmed into us, it's survival of the fittest mutated to fit the modern condition.

Technology isn't the problem with Orwellian fears , the problem is us....

Don't get me wrong there are aspects of the computer age I enjoy just like everyone else. The ability to make use of a world of information such as finding stuff out about just about anything you may be working on such as house. cars motorcycles etc., or researching stuff before you buy. The ability to share and communicate with friends and family. The ability to research things like vacation spots and book trips or events on line. And yes the fact that the internet is also the blessing that helped bring people of common interests together such as this great venturerider group of misfits LOL who I would never have had the good fortune of joining had it not been for computers and the internet. I just sometimes worry about it all going too far. PS sorry for steering this thread out into left field. I actually just wanted to better understand windows 10 not start airing my fears about what if.

Don't get me wrong there are aspects of the computer age I enjoy just like everyone else. The ability to make use of a world of information such as finding stuff out about just about anything you may be working on such as house. cars motorcycles etc., or researching stuff before you buy. The ability to share and communicate with friends and family. The ability to research things like vacation spots and book trips or events on line. And yes the fact that the internet is also the blessing that helped bring people of common interests together such as this great venturerider group of misfits LOL who I would never have had the good fortune of joining had it not been for computers and the internet. I just sometimes worry about it all going too far. PS sorry for steering this thread out into left field. I actually just wanted to better understand windows 10 not start airing my fears about what if.

I actually think it is on point.

Windows 10 is far more intrusive to your settings, updates, usage, etc than any other windows before.

Just more of the data mining that seems to have become an industry standard.

You need to turn a lot of things off that are enabled by default.

Mainly because Microsoft knows best (so they think).

A lot of Mac people I know are saying Microsoft has copied Mac's scheme of free updates to the OS. Not fooling me, nothings free. Microsoft has probably just figured out they can make more money of your usage data than they will selling the software.

They could give two whits about with websites you frequent or which places you shop. You joe blow nobody as far as they're concerned. They just want the data so they can sell it to advertisers and other shysters out there....

Screen resolution??? This is why I HATE upgrades. If it ain't broke why break it? Happens every time our sysop says to upgrade. Something gets jacked up in the process & all he cares about is the stupid monkey/banana maze "feature"! I'd rather see Paul Simon's wife sing Good Times Bad Times but that doesn't put money on the table either.

#1 . I do graphics. I need circles to be round & squares to be square. Worked fine in XP & 7. NOT SO IN 10. He was about to head off declaring victory (got me to upgrade & the computer still runs) until I threatened him with his life. He messed with screen settings 30 minutes & snuck off muttering, "Think it's better... maybe need to adjust something for Corel." So what I've got now are oblong circles, rectangular squares, what looks to me like a low resolution screen in everything with something different. Looks bleached out or something. Tried all resolutions & none are acceptable. Probably need to upgrade the graphics card that worked fine Friday?

#2 The security thing. He was standing over my shoulder during the final install & when it prompted me to give MS license to rule my life BS I quickly said NO. He is very confused and thinks I'm weird. I'll have to go back & re read this entire thread to see if the simple solution is already posted but I don't want MS having access to any more than I have to. Surely someone has written an app to defeat MS habit of resetting the security setting every time they install updates. ???

Only problem I had when I upgraded my personal laptop from 8 to 10 was my wifi would not stay connected no matter what I did. Changed power save settings to keep network controller from going to sleep, changed my network settings on router from hidden to not hidden, this perplexed me for weeks. Finally after searching forever I found someone who said they had to roll the driver back on their network card, I did that and poof, I'm connected and it holds the connection now. Now my only problem is that I have to manually connect to the network each time I power up the machine. It seems to forget the network even though I tell it to "connect automatically" every time I manually do it. Other than this one hiccup, I have to say I like it so far. Seems a little less clunky than Win 8 did.

So much for opting out on the W10 upgrade..... got hijacked. It forced it's way in, without my assistance.

Kind of like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers",, I fell asleep and it just happened.

When I got to my W7 PC this morning,,, it had a blue screen that said WELCOME TO WINDOWS 10.

No options to stop it. I tried hard boot and came back to same screen. SO,,, WELCOME TO WINDOWS 10.

Fortunately last week I got my wife a new mid-priced HP W10 laptop at Cosco with W10, so I had learned a little about it.

I had read much of this thread last week and was glad to see the consensus is pro W10.

I had discussions with others that were not good. But for my desktop,, now on W10, so far okay.

I did loose my XP mode that had some work clients. But should be able to reinstall on 10.

Edited by Mike G in SC

I'll give MS a thumbs up for making it work.

In the early stages it said my 7 year old Dell running Win 7 wasn't a candidate because the graphics card wasn't supported.

It's the original dual monitor Nvidia card that came from Dell.

After awhile though MS wrote a universal driver to support unsupported cards & I became a candidate. YEAH!

Thumbs down for 2 reasons.

1. Dual monitors only work in duplicate mode.

2. Resolution is not as good as it was in Win 7.

Bottom line is I live with 1 monitor & bad graphics or upgrade the video card that worked fine Friday.

But hey, it DOES work!

Ok, you all have me considering making the jump to W10. A few questions before I try it.

My system has 3 internal hard drives totaling 1480 GB of used space , I'm sure much of this is duplicate data copied/saved/backed up from one drive to another, is there a program I can use that will look across all 3 drives to identify duplicate files weather they be data, pics, video, documents so that I can consolidate and delete. Is there a program that will automate what I want to accomplish?

My system has been pretty sluggish lately and I believe Norton AV is the primary cause.

Should I remove the Drives other than C: before the upgrade to W10?

C: is 650GB with 98GB free

E: is 15GB with 6GB free

F: is a 1.5TB drive split into 2 drives with

F: is 1360GB with 77GB free

G: is 640GB with 189GB free

Ok, you all have me considering making the jump to W10. A few questions before I try it.

My system has 3 internal hard drives totaling 1480 GB of used space , I'm sure much of this is duplicate data copied/saved/backed up from one drive to another, is there a program I can use that will look across all 3 drives to identify duplicate files weather they be data, pics, video, documents so that I can consolidate and delete. Is there a program that will automate what I want to accomplish?

There are a few available on the 'net ... search for 'Duplicate File Finder'

My system has been pretty sluggish lately and I believe Norton AV is the primary cause.

Remove Norton, do the upgrade, and install Avast Free AV

Should I remove the Drives other than C: before the upgrade to W10?

No Need to remove them .. Win10 will see them just fine.

C: is 650GB with 98GB free

E: is 15GB with 6GB free

F: is a 1.5TB drive split into 2 drives with

F: is 1360GB with 77GB free

G: is 640GB with 189GB free

Hope the above helps.

I would recommend that you create an image of your system first just in case you have to revert due to maybe your hardware being older (if that's the case) and Win10 might be more sluggish.

I'd also recommend that you download / install / run ccleaner (not a spelling mistake) and clean your system. Use the "Cleaner" and "Registry" parts. When dong the Registry, run it over and over until it doesn't find any more 'issues'. This is probably why your system is sluggish ... along with Norton running. Do this BEFORE upgrading to Win10.

EDIT: Corrected my spelling mistakes LOL

Edited by SilvrT
brain to finger issues

Hope the above helps.

I would recommend that you create an image of your system first just in case you have to revert due to maybe your hardware being older (if that's the case) and Win10 might be more sluggish.

I'd also recommend that you download / install / run ccleaner (not a spelling mistake) and clean your system. User the "Cleaner" and "Registry" parts. When ding the Registry, run it over and over until it doesn't find any more 'issues'. This is probably why your system is sluggish ... along with Norton running. Do this BEFORE upgrading to Win10.

Thanks SilverT, sounds like a good weekend project.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

What to use for a system image? I do backups with Win7's utilities, is there an option in win7 OS to do a system image. If not, what would be some programs to look at?

Ran Ccleaner today, it removed lots of stuff, pc is running a bit faster now.

What I use at work is a commercial/server copy of Acronis ... you can create a bootable CD with it and from that you can create an Image of your hard drive and store it elsewhere, such as on another hard drive. I don't know of anything that's free that you can do this with but no doubt there's something out there. An Image is exactly that and with it you can completely restore your system to the state it was in when you took the Image including all software, files, folders, and the OS. With our version of Acronis you can even restore an image to dissimilar hardware.

If you can't find anything, use Win7's backup utility and make a full backup of your C: drive onto one of your other drives that has the most room.

Today's episode: After the FREE upgrade we installed a graphics card ($80) to make squares square & circles round. All OK so far... UNTIL I get in a MS app & do a screen presentation before sending to printer & it crashes the app. Never had that happen before. Then I go to FoxIt PDF (I ditched Acrobat years ago) & it crashes 1st time. Never happened before. Seems to be doing OK 2nd time though. I must mention that MS appears to be doing to Adobe Acrobat what they did to Netscape Navigator. (Kill it by making the MS version default & free) By default PDF's now open in the new MS Edge browser as if they are a webpage. Still no ability to edit or manipulate (yet) as other free PDF apps though. UNLESS perhaps in my haste I opted out of their fancy features by saying I didn't want them holding a lien on my firstborn. ??? (Must say I felt insulted to make a monkey go through a maze to get the banana so I could see how wonderful Edge is. Didn't participate.) Vista to XP was OK but trashed my Google Favorites library & erased my email. As a result I quit saving good sites to Favorites years ago. Why bother to build a library if an "upgrade" is going to wreck it? XP to 7 was good for me. 7 to 10? It's "free".

Edited by Venture n Dixie

Today's episode: After the FREE upgrade we installed a graphics card ($80) to make squares square & circles round. All OK so far... UNTIL I get in a MS app & do a screen presentation before sending to printer & it crashes the app. Never had that happen before. Then I go to FoxIt PDF (I ditched Acrobat years ago) & it crashes 1st time. Never happened before. Seems to be doing OK 2nd time though. I must mention that MS appears to be doing to Adobe Acrobat what they did to Netscape Navigator. (Kill it by making the MS version default & free) By default PDF's now open in the new MS Edge browser as if they are a webpage. Still no ability to edit or manipulate as other free PDF apps though.

Strange you're having issues with FoxIT. I use it a lot in Win10 without issues. And to have an MS app crash in an MS OS ... weird!

FWIW, I would disable both Edge and Cortana if I were you. (that's one of the first things I did on mine)

There's lot's of info on the net on how.

Strange you're having issues with FoxIT. I use it a lot in Win10 without issues. And to have an MS app crash in an MS OS ... weird!

FWIW, I would disable both Edge and Cortana if I were you. (that's one of the first things I did on mine)

There's lot's of info on the net on how.

That's what I thought too. FoxIT has always been rock solid for me.

Not too weird on the MS app. It's an accounting software package they bought in their ascension to monopoly.

I've never had a high opinion of it & the only person in the company in love with it is the sys op.

I sort of want to give MS the benefit of the doubt & see what their new stuff is about so I hate to disable Edge & Cortana before taking it around the block.

Only problem seems to be that the only way to play with new toys these days is to allow everyone to have access to everything I do, say, think, own & I'm sure I'm leaving something out but they've got that covered.

Still ranting. 5 oclock somewhere. leaving early!

That's what I thought too. FoxIT has always been rock solid for me.

Not too weird on the MS app. It's an accounting software package they bought in their ascension to monopoly.

I've never had a high opinion of it & the only person in the company in love with it is the sys op.

I sort of want to give MS the benefit of the doubt & see what their new stuff is about so I hate to disable Edge & Cortana before taking it around the block.

Only problem seems to be that the only way to play with new toys these days is to allow everyone to have access to everything I do, say, think, own & I'm sure I'm leaving something out but they've got that covered.

Have you tried running the MS app in compatibility mode?

Have you tried running the MS app in compatibility mode?

No. Restarted & it did OK 2nd time. Haven't done the compatibility thing yet. Trying to tie up loose ends & leave for Huntsville.

Nothing clears the head like hitting the road... even if it is in cage.

Just discovered my scanner isn't being recognized.

I'm out of here!